AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/android-phone-news-discussion-thread-775979/)

zguy95135 09-04-2010 08:55 PM

Man I LOOOOOVE my Epic. The screen is gorgeous and the battery life is getting better everyday. I had it on for six hours after nearly fully charging it (98%), used it a bunch and then watched a hour and a half long movie and I'm only down to 50%. The one thing that seems to eat battery WAY more then anything else is the GPS, which is very accurate/fast on mine.

DarkSithCL 09-04-2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12310930)
The nice thing about the HaRET method is it won't mess with your WM 6 OS. So it can't damage it. And its very easy to switch ROMs since all you would have to do is download the different builds and plug them into the SD card without having to flash.

All I have is a 1gb card in that phone .... do I need a larger one?

I have a few days off, so I am going to see if I can get this TP to run the AD !!!:thumbsup:

DarkSithCL 09-04-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by zguy95135 (Post 12314231)
Man I LOOOOOVE my Epic. The screen is gorgeous and the battery life is getting better everyday. I had it on for six hours after nearly fully charging it (98%), used it a bunch and then watched a hour and a half long movie and I'm only down to 50%. The one thing that seems to eat battery WAY more then anything else is the GPS, which is very accurate/fast on mine.

Epic FTW!!! So glad to hear that rig is treating you great... nothing like having ur cake and eatin it too!!! I am looking forward hearing more good news from this unit! A friend who came over with his wife tonite for dinner talked abt how sweet the Android phones are while he was texting on his 3GS... he lol'd... my gps on my Pre' is a FAIL.... it jacked me the other nite down town big time...glad I had looked at where we were going earlier... the phone gets hot and then get a sluggish and buggy! :tomato:

CGFebTSX04 09-04-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by mcflyguy24 (Post 12313920)
Can you let me know where to get it. Couldn't download it from appbrain or the market. Still running 2.1 here.

Check your PM.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12314362)
All I have is a 1gb card in that phone .... do I need a larger one?

I have a few days off, so I am going to see if I can get this TP to run the AD !!!:thumbsup:

1 GB should be more than enough. You'll have to partition part of it into an EXT2 partition where you will be installing your Android apps. (They have a video of how to do it) 128-256 MB of EXT2 partition should be enough. That'll leave you with 744 MB of FAT32 where you can store all the other apps like the ROMS, pictures, music. I believe the ROMS range from 60 MB-100 MB.

EDIT: Looks like they're recommending 300 MB for EXT2. Still should leave you with 700 MB of FAT32 space which is plenty.

http://www.neopeek.com/en/community/...nes?groupid=12

http://www.neopeek.com/en/community/...ek)?groupid=12

CGFebTSX04 09-04-2010 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by zguy95135 (Post 12314231)

Have you rooted yet or is it all stock? I know CM 6 is being worked on for the Epic as well. The Vibrant and European variant get first dibs, then the Captivate, then the Epic and Fascinate.

DarkSithCL 09-04-2010 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12313579)
For the Captivate owners, a gift from Eugene373:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=773082

Its a Vanilla Eclair ROM. No Touchwiz, 3-4x faster than the stock Captivate ROM due to Lagfix. Some people are also saying they're getting some battery gains, around 2-3 hours extra. There's also a 1.2 GHz OC Kernel out there as well...

CM6 is on the way as well, they made some great progress over the week. Should be out any time now. :wish: And my Galaxy S finally made it somewhere in the US. :woot: Unfortunately, I don't think it'll get to me before I head out to Miami.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD_MnxfsZwU

Much thanks to eugene373!!!!
...always nice to see some eclair variation builds out there!!!
... track that sucker, and have ur bro to bounce it to you pronto!:thumbsup:

DarkSithCL 09-04-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12314379)
Check your PM.

1 GB should be more than enough. You'll have to partition part of it into an EXT2 partition where you will be installing your Android apps. (They have a video of how to do it) 128-256 MB of EXT2 partition should be enough. That'll leave you with 744 MB of FAT32 where you can store all the other apps like the ROMS, pictures, music. I believe the ROMS range from 60 MB-100 MB.

EDIT: Looks like they're recommending 300 MB for EXT2. Still should leave you with 700 MB of FAT32 space which is plenty.

Thanks Mike... I just didnt want to start this and then have to jet to bestbuy!

DarkSithCL 09-04-2010 10:30 PM

also, thanks for the other links Mang!

CGFebTSX04 09-04-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12314395)
also, thanks for the other links Mang!

I just watched the vids and they're done in Linux which is the best and most efficient method. I'm assuming you don't have Linux so the next best thing is to use Paragon Partition Manager 9. I'm not sure if its free:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=512873

Personally, I use ADB to partition but it might be more difficult for beginners but I'll link the tutorial on how to do it. Try the method above first:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ight=partition

And here's the many methods to do it using a Ubuntu boot CD (free and fast):

http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f...rtition-14232/

zguy95135 09-04-2010 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12314386)
Have you rooted yet or is it all stock? I know CM 6 is being worked on for the Epic as well. The Vibrant and European variant get first dibs, then the Captivate, then the Epic and Fascinate.

I haven't rooted it yet, I'm just running launcher pro. I'll probably do it once cyanogenmod comes out.

eccjak 09-05-2010 10:08 PM

Would any of you guys know how to log off your gmail account on your phone? I have the Samsung Captivate.

CGFebTSX04 09-06-2010 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by eccjak (Post 12315869)
Would any of you guys know how to log off your gmail account on your phone? I have the Samsung Captivate.

I think you would have to reset the phone as a lot of things are tied to the GMail account such as contacts, calendar and pretty much the whole phone.

DarkSithCL 09-06-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12316265)
I think you would have to reset the phone as a lot of things are tied to the GMail account such as contacts, calendar and pretty much the whole phone.

Can you delete the gmail account... and then re-add it?

CGFebTSX04 09-06-2010 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12316741)
Can you delete the gmail account... and then re-add it?

Hmm...I guess you could. I forgot that since Eclair you can use more than one GMail account. Probably add another GMail account, make it the primary, then delete the old one. That might work.

Doom878 09-07-2010 10:55 AM

FYI for those on TMo, Costco has Galaxy for $150 on an upgrade. Supposedly even on an early upgrade which I think is 12 months for you guys?

jiggaman 09-08-2010 10:37 AM

what do u guys think about HTC incredible compared to droid 2 or droid x?

CG2PROJECT 09-08-2010 10:50 AM

Droid x is a gigantic, THIN smartphone.. Droid 2 has a physical keyboard, and the incredible.. is just an above average smartphone. You have to go and try them out for yourself.

CGFebTSX04 09-08-2010 11:36 AM

The Droid Incredible is Verizon's Google Nexus One. Unfortunately, because it has the Sense UI, it doesn't get the updates as fast as the Nexus One. Also, Verizon, doesn't seem to be focusing too much on the phone as it got Froyo last and they barely announced when it would get it. I'm not sure why they're ignoring the phone as it has great hardware. The modding community seems to be picking up on the phone as well so thats a good sign. Like C2GPROJECT said, try them all out in person because the Droid X is bigger, maybe too big for some people and Droid 2 is nice for people needing a keyboard.

jiggaman 09-08-2010 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12322560)
The Droid Incredible is Verizon's Google Nexus One. Unfortunately, because it has the Sense UI, it doesn't get the updates as fast as the Nexus One. Also, Verizon, doesn't seem to be focusing too much on the phone as it got Froyo last and they barely announced when it would get it. I'm not sure why they're ignoring the phone as it has great hardware. The modding community seems to be picking up on the phone as well so thats a good sign. Like C2GPROJECT said, try them all out in person because the Droid X is bigger, maybe too big for some people and Droid 2 is nice for people needing a keyboard.

yeah the droid x seemed too big to me and not sure if i even like the keyboard on droid 2 and might rather just go touchscreen. if thats the case i was thinking that the incredible might be the best fit for me.

any other phones carried by verizon that i should look at?

mcflyguy24 09-08-2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by jiggaman (Post 12322595)
yeah the droid x seemed too big to me and not sure if i even like the keyboard on droid 2 and might rather just go touchscreen. if thats the case i was thinking that the incredible might be the best fit for me.

any other phones carried by verizon that i should look at?

The Fascinate if you can handle all the bloatware that is slowing the phone down from it's true potential...a good rom would cure this along with losing touchwiz though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/s...cinate-review/

DarkSithCL 09-08-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by eccjak (Post 12315869)

Did you ever get your problem resolved with gmail?

CGFebTSX04 09-10-2010 11:20 AM

For the people thinking about the Fascinate but concerned about the Bingness on the phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPB-...layer_embedded

Source: http://www.androidcentral.com/get-go...ithout-rooting

Not really sure about the Bing integration coming into Verizon phones. While its nice to have choice, it shouldn't be forced upon. Now if Bing's apps were superior to Google's apps then it might not be an issue. As of now, that isn't the case.

DarkSithCL 09-10-2010 02:40 PM

Mike... hows Miami treating you man? did you get ur new rig yet????

CGFebTSX04 09-10-2010 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12329631)
Mike... hows Miami treating you man? did you get ur new rig yet????

Just got here yesterday. Unfortunately, my phone didn't arrive with me. Its still being delivered. Hopefully get it tomorrow or Monday at my house then have my bro ship it over to me. On the bright side, my car should be coming tonight. :biggrin: I've been walking around my place to get familiar with the area. Suffice to say, I won't be short of Latin foods in the next couple of months. lol. :tomato:

DarkSithCL 09-12-2010 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12329733)
Just got here yesterday. Unfortunately, my phone didn't arrive with me. Its still being delivered. Hopefully get it tomorrow or Monday at my house then have my bro ship it over to me. On the bright side, my car should be coming tonight. :biggrin: I've been walking around my place to get familiar with the area. Suffice to say, I won't be short of Latin foods in the next couple of months. lol. :tomato:

Sweetness on da ride and da food! You musta had it shipped :thumbsup:... I have only had one car shipped...that was crazy town! :tomato:

LOL.... Im so excited about how ur gonna customize this phone... heck, you would think it was coming to my house... :tongue:

DarkSithCL 09-12-2010 09:58 PM

Dual Core Androids in the wild yall... they are gonna be sick...

HTC... a win, win... really sweet looking phone!

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl...device_spotted

I have never been much of an LG fan... will have to see how this shakes out...

http://top10.com/mobilephones/news/2...re_processors/

DarkSithCL 09-12-2010 10:08 PM

t-mobile, AD 2.2 sitting on a dual core processor... this article is dated today, but it may be a while before it hits the t-m crowd!

...screen is 3.8 inches, but that is still HUGE compared to my Pre... LOL... it may be more the size that alot of peeps are wanting due to the large size of some the recently released phones...

http://www.electronista.com/articles...al.core.phone/

Doom878 09-13-2010 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12329733)

Welcome! What part are you staying? Are you going to UM for medical?

CGFebTSX04 09-13-2010 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12334265)
Sweetness on da ride and da food! You musta had it shipped :thumbsup:... I have only had one car shipped...that was crazy town! :tomato:

LOL.... Im so excited about how ur gonna customize this phone... heck, you would think it was coming to my house... :tongue:

Yeah. Its nice to be able to drive my own car again after how many months instead of just every time I go home for a few days of break. My brothers haven't kept it in the same condition I had before I started med school though. :whyme: One of my tires has a bulge and I'm scared it'll blow any time now especially where I'm living at cause they're doing a lot of road construction.

My phone finally came in on Sat. My brother should be sending it out today and it should get to me by Wednesday or Thurs. I wont be able to mess with it until maybe next week cause my schedule is looking packed this week. We gotta do BLS/ACLS certification and I might have school on Sunday. :yuck: We also had our Comp today and it was 4 hrs of testing which was not fun. And by the looks of it, I might have to redo it again as I wasn't able to study for it over the break. I'll be studying all semester long for it so I should be more prepared when we have to take it again in January.

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12334860)
Welcome! What part are you staying? Are you going to UM for medical?

I'm in North Miami, a few minutes from downtown, but my school requires us to drive any where in between North Miami to South Miami for lectures or hospital. I don't go to UM but my school is relatively close to it and we sometimes use their libraries to study at. If you see a Carbon Grey TSX with CA license plates around Miami, its probably me. lol.

CGFebTSX04 09-13-2010 05:24 PM

So the first thing I'll be looking forward to patch my phone with is Project Voodoo:

Source: http://project-voodoo.org/lagfix

Lagfix
Galaxy S hardware is different from previous generation’s Android phones.
To extend /data partition, the place where all your apps are installed and personal data are stored, Samsung use 2GB from the internal SD card.

There’s nothing wrong with this approach, but they use the proprietary RFS filesystem they build as a legacy FAT, adding journalisation and POSIX permission. Both are required to run safely Android.
Unfortunately, this filesystem tries too hard and don’t provide a consistent experience with many applications installed or a few days uptime.

And here comes Voodoo lagfix to the rescue

By replacing the faulty RFS filesystem with the Linux-standard Ext4 filesystem, Voodoo lagfix simply restores I/O performance and global user experience of the Galaxy S to what it should have been to begin with.
And the performance level is awsome !

Source: http://project-voodoo.org/color

Color
Voodoo Color is a pack of high quality adjustments for Galaxy S screen.
The screen technology used is Super AMOLED.

Color Temperature adjustment:
The Galaxy S screen is great, but it’s blueish. Fortunately, this is not a hardware limitation and Voodoo color restores a standard color temperature to get rid of the blue tint on every display.

This feature is currently unfinished and only the “100%” brightness setting has been tuned. More to come in the next versions.

Sharpness Optimization:
By default, Galaxy S use a very strong sharpness filter to improve the readability of text. Unfortunately, the settings used create visible halos around shapes and text.
In Voodoo color, this sharpness filter is reworked to obtain perfect readability of text and punchy images without halos.

Your eyes will love these new settings.
The dev was able to fix the lag with a more stable Ext 4 partition (good for data retention and the SD Card), tweak the screen hue from blue to a warm white color like in other screens, and change the sharpness of the phone screen. It should be compatible with the Captivate and other Galaxy S variants eventually but right now its in Beta for the European and Canadian version.

CGFebTSX04 09-13-2010 05:27 PM

Froyo seems to be also coming out for the Galaxy S phones soon:

Source: http://androidspin.com/2010/09/13/ru...3rd-september/

It’s always a good thing when a company keeps their word. In the world of Android, it doesn’t always happen, especially when it comes to release dates for firmware updates. However, it seems like Samsung will indeed stay true to their promise that the international-spec Galaxy S (i9000) will be receiving its update to Android 2.2 by the end of September. A source from within the Finland branch of Samsung has disclosed that Samsung’s repairs department will be:

“definitely receiving new software for repairing froyo builds on the 22nd of September, with the build expected to be released on the 23rd”

There are two important points to make of this. Firstly, if this is what is planned in Finland, then it’s logical that the release in other countries should happen at a similar time. So while I cannot say with full confidence that the global release will be on September 23rd, it does at least seem a good starting point, if nothing else. Secondly, this information only relates to the i9000 Galaxy S. While it is fully possible that the four USA Galaxy S devices will receive froyo around this time, we cannot be sure of this based upon this information alone. In the mean time, let’s hope that this information is accurate, and that the Galaxy S receives its helping of Froyo soon.

Doom878 09-14-2010 07:28 AM

Get that tire changed ASAP. Lots of construction and bridges on the highway. US1 is pretty smooth but I95 is scary and there are always bad accidents there. Invest in a Sunpass if you can. I'll be in the lowered green 2000 Accord coupe bouncing up and down since my shocks are blown again. :cuss:

bl^5 09-14-2010 12:48 PM

EVO HERE I COME!

I went swimming a couple of weeks ago and forgot my TP2 was in my pocket Oooops! I found out that on Oct. 1 EVO will be available on SERO with a $20 upcharge. So I downgraded my SERO 1250 plan to a SERO 500 plan for $20 less. All in all my bill will remain the same since I don't use that many minutes anyway. This is going to be a long two and a half week wait!

DarkSithCL 09-14-2010 12:59 PM

Mike, froyo and vodoo... sounds like magic to me for ur new "S" ...LOL...

DarkSithCL 09-14-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by bl^5 (Post 12338226)
EVO HERE I COME!

I went swimming a couple of weeks ago and forgot my TP2 was in my pocket Oooops! I found out that on Oct. 1 EVO will be available on SERO with a $20 upcharge. So I downgraded my SERO 1250 plan to a SERO 500 plan for $20 less. All in all my bill will remain the same since I don't use that many minutes anyway. This is going to be a long two and a half week wait!

Bruh, I know it is like waiting for Christmas!!! Are you going to cutomize it any?

DarkSithCL 09-14-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12337567)
Get that tire changed ASAP. Lots of construction and bridges on the highway. US1 is pretty smooth but I95 is scary and there are always bad accidents there. Invest in a Sunpass if you can. I'll be in the lowered green 2000 Accord coupe bouncing up and down since my shocks are blown again. :cuss:

shocks FTL mang! :ugh:

bl^5 09-14-2010 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12338268)
Bruh, I know it is like waiting for Christmas!!! Are you going to cutomize it any?

Team, does a bear sh*t in the woods and wipe his a$$ with a fluffy white rabbit?

I'm starting my research NOW!

bl^5 09-14-2010 01:48 PM

I've heard of a hack to allow tethering and hot spot undetected. That will be my first mod...

CGFebTSX04 09-14-2010 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bl^5 (Post 12338379)
I've heard of a hack to allow tethering and hot spot undetected. That will be my first mod...

For the Evo check out www.unrevoked.com for details on how to root. XDA has good instructions as well and even youtube. Once you're rooted you can hotspot tether all you want and run all the custom ROMs you want. You can USB tether without root but you have to be connected via a USB cable all times.

DarkSithCL 09-14-2010 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by bl^5 (Post 12338345)
team, does a bear sh*t in the woods and wipe his a$$ with a fluffy white rabbit?

I'm starting my research now!

roooooooo!