AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   Technology (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/)
-   -   Android: Phone News and Discussion Thread (https://acurazine.com/forums/technology-16/android-phone-news-discussion-thread-775979/)

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12239090)
I saw this on sprintusers.com ... is anyone over here having flash issues since they downloaded froyo?

Froyo gives us Flash Beta NOT 10.1 / HTML5 or FLash 10.1

here's the link:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...hlight=htc+evo

Hmm...that's odd. I haven't heard anything from the ROM devs about that one. Maybe they're too busy porting full ROMs though instead of basing it off of Sprint's. All the reviews of the Froyo update make no mention of it. Maybe they haven't noticed it yet.

Maybe a fix? http://www.evo4gforum.net/htc-evo-4g...1335/#msg31335

AMUA6 08-07-2010 09:53 AM

^^^ Understandable about school man, I start back the 30th :whyme:

+1 on the TikL app

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12239102)
Kick butt on ur this next set of tests and finals!!!! :drag:

You know I'm feelin' ya on that!

Thanks. Renal, CNS, and pharm. :ugh: lol. Almost back in the states for good though!

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12239110)
Thanks. Renal, CNS, and pharm. :ugh: lol. Almost back in the states for good though!

LOL... renal... the freakin black box!!!
My Dad was a Urologist, so I almost went that was myself...:tongue:
CNS... pathway hell... chart-o-rama :tomato:
Pharm...name it, claim it... and its side effects... :wish:

U.S. bound... now thats sweetness mang! :yum:

AMUA6 08-07-2010 10:10 AM

^^^ Are you out of the US for school??

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 12239003)
Maybe Ill turn on my Droid when Froyo gets pushed.

just do it... might turn ur Droid into the beast you want and expect it to be... nevah know?

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 10:13 AM

^^ thanks for the flask fix info man... I dropped the link on them over there... we will see what happens...

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by AMUA6 (Post 12239134)
^^^ Are you out of the US for school??

Yeah. I go home during our breaks. But my breaks are like 2 weeks max and I waste 1 day traveling home and another day traveling back. :sad: This is my last sem here though. Just gotta pass and get out of here. lol.

AMUA6 08-07-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12239140)
Yeah. I go home during our breaks. But my breaks are like 2 weeks max and I waste 1 day traveling home and another day traveling back. :sad: This is my last sem here though. Just gotta pass and get out of here. lol.

Damn man, what country are you in??

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by AMUA6 (Post 12239156)
Damn man, what country are you in??

Currently in the Caribbeans. Don't wanna name the island cause the community is too small and don't want the school tracking me back. lol. Every perception I had about the Caribbean islands has been totally shot out ever since I started school here. It has its pluses but definitely more minuses than I can count.

It could be just the island I'm on though. Although, when I visit the other islands when I fly out, I get the same feeling. I mean I grew up in the Phil before moving to the states and the Caribbeans aren't even on the same level. I don't even remember the last time I showered in clean water since I came back from break. Power goes out due to the hurricanes and my apartment doesn't have a generator. Gotta study with candles. lol.

Really though, my main complaint is the food. Its dirty and I'm sure I've eaten plenty of bugs in my food by now. Need a detox when I get back. Haha. Its also tasteless. Creole food is supposed to be good but here it sucks. Food variety is also nonexistent. We have our choice of chicken or chicken. Beef is a premium here and its very expensive to get. There's Subway, KFC that just opened, and no McDonalds. I try to cook but groceries are expensive and they charge so much for it. Service is also slow...We've had to wait 2 hours for FAST FOOD quite a few times. (Think burgers and fries) So now we order 2 hours ahead of time when we're about to eat to get around it. Eating becomes a chore and you do it cause you have to not because it tastes good.

If the food and service wasn't so bad, I really wouldn't mind living here though. Most of the people are nice. There's a few that are angry we're here even though we're the reason for their economy. So don't know what their issue is. lol. There's some spots that are cool to visit. I've gone snorkeling and you get to see some cool tropical fishes. I mean, I guess its a good place to visit for a few days, but maybe not this island, unless you had no choice. I definitely wouldn't pick it as a place for honeymoon though. lol. The whole experience is humbling, however. You realize how lucky you are to have stuff back at home so its good in that way. We always joke around how MTV should do a show on students around here. They would find a lot of content for sure. lol.

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 11:34 AM

Here's a more detailed fix on the HTC Evo 4G Froyo issue that those Sprint Users were seeing:

http://androidforums.com/support-tro...fix-froyo.html

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 12:05 PM

^OMG... no freakin way man!

Nevah in a million years would I figure conditions would be like that.. insane... :crazy:

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 12:08 PM

Thanks for the more detailed froyo fix bro!

merlinsbeard101 08-07-2010 12:18 PM

Anyone waiting for Bugless Beast 0.5 for the Droid?

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12239301)
^OMG... no freakin way man!

Nevah in a million years would I figure conditions would be like that.. insane... :crazy:

Seriously, everyone hypes the Caribbeans so much. Whenever I tell people I go to school in the Caribbeans they always say oh how beautiful it probably is. They just haven't been in the Caribbeans before. lol. Don't get me wrong, there are some good spots to visit around here but I if I had to choose a place, it wouldn't be down or around here. lol.

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by merlinsbeard101 (Post 12239311)
Anyone waiting for Bugless Beast 0.5 for the Droid?

How's the Droid Froyo ROMs so far in terms of stability?

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12239328)
Seriously, everyone hypes the Caribbeans so much. Whenever I tell people I go to school in the Caribbeans they always say oh how beautiful it probably is. They just haven't been in the Caribbeans before. lol. Don't get me wrong, there are some good spots to visit around here but I if I had to choose a place, it wouldn't be down or around here. lol.

I made sure that I went to the slums and cardboard towns in Montego Bay Jamaica, so I would not leave there without a taste of real life there...:whyme: it was incredible...

... and Yes, That's the difference between being a TOURIST somewhere and LIVING there like the locals do... now you got that covered!

Dr. Colorado 08-07-2010 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12239090)
I saw this on sprintusers.com ... is anyone over here having flash issues since they downloaded froyo?

Froyo gives us Flash Beta NOT 10.1 / HTML5 or FLash 10.1

here's the link:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...hlight=htc+evo

Hey Rick, happened several times last night I'd be in the middle of watching a video and the screen would turn black and say "sorry, can't play video." This might be 5-10 minutes in. I don't want to do the hard reset though, guess I'm fubarded.

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12239097)
one of my friends has this and he said its pretty righteous!

Bombizzle. Video chat is pretty balling too.

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12239110)

I don't know what I hate more, renal or CNS. I crushed neuroanatomy though, 100% but it was so painful memorizing all the parts of the brain:whyme: Pharm has, does, and will always suck ballsack.

So where you at CG, Grenada or Dominica? My older sis went to Ross for her MD and one of my best friend's went to Grenada. Sheeit I bitch about med school all the frickin time and I was in downtown Manhattan LOL.

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12239420)
Hey Rick, happened several times last night I'd be in the middle of watching a video and the screen would turn black and say "sorry, can't play video." This might be 5-10 minutes in. I don't want to do the hard reset though, guess I'm fubarded.

That sucks to hear. Guess HTC dropped the ball with the update again. Probably the reason why I don't wait for the carriers to update since they always seem to mess something up. lol. The factory reset seems to be the best way to fix the issues unless HTC has another update coming along the way.

So where you at CG, Grenada or Dominica? My older sis went to Ross for her MD and one of my best friend's went to Grenada. Sheeit I bitch about med school all the frickin time and I was in downtown Manhattan LOL.
Nice. She's a carib med grad. I bet you heard horror stories from them too. lol. Don't really wanna mention which one should it come biting me in the butt in the future if you know what I mean. But its one of the four Caribbean schools that are accredited in all 50 states.

Dr. Colorado 08-07-2010 02:25 PM

^No worries mang. Keep it on the DL it's all good.

So it's happening when I'm using Skyfire browser. Should I try the stock browser that came with Evo or another browser?!?

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12239480)
^No worries mang. Keep it on the DL it's all good.

So it's happening when I'm using Skyfire browser. Should I try the stock browser that came with Evo or another browser?!?

Have you tried uninstalling the Skyfire browser and reinstalling it. I think most of the complaints were from the stock browser. If you're seeing it just in Skyfire then its probably Skyfire needing an update. If on both then yeah probably a factory reset.

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 07:51 PM

Here's an excellent (and pretty universal) guide on how to backup and flash Custom ROMs for pretty much any Android phone manually and via an app called ROM Manager by Koush in the Android Market:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbAFz...ature=youtu.be

ROM Manager:
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.koushikdutta.rommanager (Free)
http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.kous...anager.license (Premium)

Mind you, the guide above is after having rooted the phone. Flashing a Custom Recovery is not as important if you're using the ROM Manager app because you can do that with the app. There are currently two types of Custom Recovery for Android phones:
1. Clockwork Recovery which is what the ROM Manager app needs to use and can be flashed using the app
2. Amon RA Recovery
I personally use Amon RA's recovery on my phone because it has a few more options that are useful but Clockwork recovery is pretty comparable. I haven't used the ROM Manager app but I have heard good things about it.

It basically automates the backing up and flashing process of Custom ROMs, radio, kernel updates which is good for beginners since they don't have to mess with manually rebooting to recovery. I don't believe all devs upload their ROMs to the ROM Manager servers so you may have to manually download some custom ROMs, radios, kernels and place them in your SD Card.

subinf 08-07-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by DarkSithCL (Post 12235757)
...sweetness, which AD rig did you get?

The incredible. Still have no idea what is really going on it with other than it gets my work mail, internet, and has an alarm clock

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by surfer rick (Post 12239420)

Bombizzle. Video chat is pretty balling too.

I don't know what I hate more, renal or CNS. I crushed neuroanatomy though, 100% but it was so painful memorizing all the parts of the brain:whyme: Pharm has, does, and will always suck ballsack.

Rick, I hate for you to have to wait for a patch / fix, but so far, a hard reset is included in both of the froyo fixes that CG got his hands on....:tomato:

Itz the curse of the Apple iphone 4 dark side of the force working on the froyo update!:wish:

DarkSithCL 08-07-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by subinf (Post 12240196)
The incredible. Still have no idea what is really going on it with other than it gets my work mail, internet, and has an alarm clock

You sound like me when I went from a Palm 650 to an HTC Touch Pro... I still don't really know what that winmo phone can do...it was always too random for my liking... it will buzz occasionally in my desk even now...like its callin me...:whyme:

CGFebTSX04 08-07-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by subinf (Post 12240196)

The Incredible is an excellent phone. Its basically Verizon's Nexus One or HTC Desire. They have the same exact specs just in a different form factor and it runs the Sense UI. The Froyo update is supposed to bring in 720p recording and some new features to the phone. Unfortunately, Verizon hasn't said when its coming. They keep pushing it back. I think the word right now is around September.

CGFebTSX04 08-08-2010 11:06 AM

For the Motorola Droid and Droid X users here's a little more convincing for you to root. You don't need to mess with the Android SDK or manually install Custom Recoveries doing this method! So need to really learn the terminology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_N9D...layer_embedded

Source: http://www.unstableapps.com/

The app is called Easy Root from the link above and you need to purchase a key from him for a suggested $2.99 and a bare minimum of $0.99. Worth it? I say yes!

Short noob guide on how to use Easy Root in association with ROM Manager so you can go flashing custom ROMs (Only for the original Droid. Don't think they have custom ROMs for the X yet):
1. Install Easy Root on your Droid and purchase a key.
2. Run the app and hit Root phone. Reboot. Thats it you're rooted.
3. Install Busybox (maybe reboot again? just to be safe). It will probably ask for Super User Permissions (SU). Hit allow. (Droid X users can stop here and install any app that requires root)
4. Install ROM Manager if you haven't already (free or premium doesn't matter). Also watch the video above to get a general idea of what I'm talking about in the next steps.
5. Open up ROM Manager and install Clockwork Recovery.
6. BEFORE flashing another ROM make a backup.***
7. Download Custom ROM of choice, or radio or kernel using ROM Manager or XDA and placing it on your SD Card (Just put it at the root of your SD Card not in a folder. Makes it easier that way).
8. Pick the ROM, or radio, or kernel you want to install. (Watch video in previous post)
9. ALWAYS WIPE when jumping from one ROM to a different ROM. It avoids all the force closes you might get without wiping. (Less headache) If you are just upgrading within the same ROM, a wipe is not really needed. Wiping will make you lose all your apps and settings.
9. Flash ROM and reboot. Wait for it to load (10 mins? Maybe more depends on the ROM.)
10. Enjoy your rooted and custom ROM. You can now install any apps that require root and get all custom ROMs you can find.

This will probably take overall, 10-15 minutes? The first boot of a custom ROM always takes the longest. If it looks stuck, leave it alone! Some first boots take up to 10 minutes setting up the phone. I do NOT recommend a battery pull until you have waited at a minimum of 20 minutes.

If you guys have any Qs ask them and I'll try to help out. Also, this guide pretty much applies to any Android phone so long as you're rooted. Just start from number 4 onwards. ROM Manager has the ability to restore the original recovery of the phone and Easy Tether also has an Unroot feature that you can use before returning the phone for warranty work. They'll never know it was rooted.

***I suggest you download and purchase an app called Titanium Backup. Its an excellent way of backing up your apps, any associated settings and data that go along with the apps. You can also use it without a license but you will have to manually hit install on each app and data instead of it being an automated reinstall of the apps. If you can't wait for the key or don't have that many apps, then do that for now. lol. Also, this is convenient as you can always wipe and then just let Titanium Backup restore all settings.

subinf 08-08-2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12240273)
The Incredible is an excellent phone. Its basically Verizon's Nexus One or HTC Desire. They have the same exact specs just in a different form factor and it runs the Sense UI. The Froyo update is supposed to bring in 720p recording and some new features to the phone. Unfortunately, Verizon hasn't said when its coming. They keep pushing it back. I think the word right now is around September.

I'm still looking for something that can help explain what this phone does or how it works. So far everything I've read that Verizon included with the phone has been a waste of my time. Although I haven't looked at the cd that came with it

CGFebTSX04 08-08-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by subinf (Post 12240948)
I'm still looking for something that can help explain what this phone does or how it works. So far everything I've read that Verizon included with the phone has been a waste of my time. Although I haven't looked at the cd that came with it

It really comes down to what you want to do with the phone. Your phone is running Android 2.1 (Eclair). You can watch a bunch of videos on what the features of Eclair are. They're pretty universal for Android Phones add or subtract a few features limited by hardware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxGgc-RbhWg

Is there a specific thing you want it to do? For the most part, you won't need to Root unless you plan to install custom ROMs, or Wifi Tether without having to pay Verizon.

CGFebTSX04 08-08-2010 11:56 AM

Here's one more vid showing off the Android 2.1 Sense UI on the HTC Desire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfSxWNOG8DQ

CGFebTSX04 08-08-2010 12:47 PM

Here's the Sprint Epic 4G coming soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzohB...layer_embedded

It's not as big as I thought it would be. That keyboard would be nice for gaming.

DarkSithCL 08-08-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by CGFebTSX04 (Post 12241128)
Here's the Sprint Epic 4G coming soon:

It's not as big as I thought it would be. That keyboard would be nice for gaming.

LOL... my Pre is so small, all these new phones are huge by comparison!

Whiskers 08-08-2010 07:14 PM

No Froyo yet :(

CGFebTSX04 08-08-2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 12241849)
No Froyo yet :(

Froyo got pushed back for the Motorola Droid. I think they're saying August 12 with Flash coming on the 18th now.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/08/08/...ugust-18-only/

I'll believe it when I see it. lol. In the meantime, did you see my post above on how to root and install custom ROMs? You can get Froyo that way...

Whiskers 08-08-2010 08:07 PM

Too lazy....

DarkSithCL 08-08-2010 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers (Post 12241962)
Too lazy....

LOL...:tomato:

Doom878 08-09-2010 07:16 AM

Well I checked out the HTC Aria and Samsung Captivate at the ATT store. I'm spoiled so the Aria is too small for me now. The Cap is fairly large but I hate that Samsung has the lock on the side and it's so easy for me to hit. Both had Eclair if anyone was curious. I guess the default browser doesn't support Flash? Wasn't too impressed with the Cap. I'm too spoiled by the 3GS layout and design. As a software whore, who would've thunk I'd sweat the hardware too. :shrug:

CGFebTSX04 08-09-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12242847)
Well I checked out the HTC Aria and Samsung Captivate at the ATT store. I'm spoiled so the Aria is too small for me now. The Cap is fairly large but I hate that Samsung has the lock on the side and it's so easy for me to hit. Both had Eclair if anyone was curious. I guess the default browser doesn't support Flash? Wasn't too impressed with the Cap. I'm too spoiled by the 3GS layout and design. As a software whore, who would've thunk I'd sweat the hardware too. :shrug:

The Captivate has Flash Lite. Has to be enabled in the menu. Full flash is only available with Froyo unless you run the hacked Flash going around on XDA. How was the screen on the Captivate?

I can see the side button being an issue. Don't know why Samsung put it there. The devs will be able to wake it up using the buttons though by creating an app or inside a menu in custom ROMs like they do now with the Nexus One and the Desire. They were even able unlock the phone with the trackball or optical trackpad instead of sliding on the screen...Just a matter of coding and the devs have only begun to dive into the source code since the phone is new.

CGFebTSX04 08-09-2010 08:28 AM

Also for the Captivate/Vibrant/Galaxy S owners, you might want to keep track of this thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=749495

They're working on the lag fix and the phone is just blowing the Quadrant benchmarks away! They went from the 900+ Stock Galaxy S scores to 1700+ with the old lag fix, then to 2200+ with the new lag fix and no overclock and now up to 2700+ with a 1.2 GHz overclock. Just an aside, these scores are all done on Eclair without the JIT compiling found in Froyo which gives a double boost as seen in the Nexus One benchmarks! What does this all mean? Apps open and close faster and games load almost instantaneously. Overall, a speed boost in the whole phone all without the Froyo goodness. :yum:

As a reference, the Droid X runs around 1100+ and a Nexus One running Froyo is around 1400+. Yes I know, benchmarks aren't the be all, end all, but the fact they've been able to go 3x stock scores is amazing and they're only getting started with this phone.

DarkSithCL 08-09-2010 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Doom878 (Post 12242847)

Hey, I understand... hardware issues are like having a great fitting wool suit in bright orange... a constant aggravation...:ugh: