Technology Get the latest on technology, electronics and software…
View Poll Results: 50" Samsung DLP or 42" HDTV Philips plasma?
50" Samsung DLP
78.72%
42" HDTV Philips plasma
21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

50" Samsung DLP or a 42" HDTV Plasma?

Old 08-31-2004, 02:21 AM
I shoot people

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,481 Posts
50" Samsung DLP or a 42" HDTV Plasma?

Okay guys... I'm like... one click away from buying a new TV, but I can't decide. The Samsung would be like the one they kept advertising during the Olympics and yes, it's gonna be near $5g after tax and extented warrenty, which I've been told is a waste of money (the extented warrenty that is... but it makes me feel safer). The Plasma would be from Costco.com and it's the Philips 42" HDTV plasma, about $3700 after tax and shipping... Costco doesn't offer extented warrenty cause they have a "no hassle" return policy... I know the DLP's have an awesome picture... but to me... it still doesn't quite compare with a plasma... but with the DLP... you can change a component (about $250) a few years down the road... and you have a new TV... with a plasma... when it breaks down... you're fvcked... but then again... I'm buying from Costco, which means I can just take it back.

BTW, I would probably have to wait a little on the Samsung if I was to pick that TV, cause it's a lot more.

so, help me out here guys... I can use any opinion.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:01 AM
All the way to redline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hate plasma tv's
Old 08-31-2004, 06:21 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have an Hitachi hdt42 plasma and I love it. True, if it breaks down I'm screwed, but I like to live life on the edge.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:13 AM
Suzuka Master

No contest, DLP!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Have you checked the picture out on both units?? SOme people have issues with the color wheel on the first generation DLP's (HD2 if that's the one you're looking at). The problem is not as bad w/ the HD2+ or HD3 DLP chips, but you may still have a problem with viewing it for long periods of time (or even short periods of time).

The closest thing I can describe is it's the same effect as some people have w/ First person shooters where it literally makes you sick watching it.

I would definetly try it out first, and if you don't have a problem with it I would definetly buy the DLP. The whole idea of a TV being trashes because the LCD went out basically boils down to use losing 3700$, while on the DLP you basically just replace the bulb (anywhere from 300-500$ a pop though) and you're good to go!!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:55 AM
Rock Star

Plasmas only last about 5 yrs
Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
"It's a Sweater!!!"

I like the way plasmas look but to me it's just not worth the fact that as soon as the plasma runs it's course...you can't change a bulb or anything to get it back. It's trash. Also, I've heard that after about 1.5 years you start seeing the degregation of the screen. That sux. The DLP allows you to change the bulb for like 200 bucks and it's like new.

Also, I found this place that seems to have good prices and pretty good extented warranties as well. They are reasonably priced and if you don't use them they will give you half of it back in store credit!!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 09:05 AM
"It's a Sweater!!!"

sorry...here's the link.....www.onecall.com
Old 08-31-2004, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

i would go with the DLP, the quality is crystal clear on most sets that i have seen. plasma is overrated because it gets alot of hype. there is also a half life on the plasma screens. the screen will actually get duller as time goes by.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Samsung DLP

I have been looking at the Samsung DLP which looks really good. But the price for a 61 inch DLP is only about $3000-$3400 if you order it on line.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nym31mp
Plasmas only last about 5 yrs
plasmas have barely been out for 5 years. ALL the test info is that if you left it on 24hours aday for 5 years your picture loses about 25-45% its original briteness.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rescueswimmer
plasmas have barely been out for 5 years. ALL the test info is that if you left it on 24hours aday for 5 years your picture loses about 25-45% its original briteness.
this is true the half life of the screen will depend on the quality of the plasma screen and your viewing habits.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

www.avsforum.com

that should help you dispel all the misinformation being given here like "plasmas only last 5 years"

<---have pioneer elite plasma for over two years now and it is still simply amazing. Its like a window and no other display has come close.

Not even my sammy dlp that's in the den, or my 65" mits CRT RPTV.

Although I do agree that for the price the samsung DLPs are a great value for an awesome TV.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Get Sony Wega 42 Inch. If not, Philips and make sure you GET THAT WARRANTEE extension
You won't be sorry then
Old 08-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Instructor

I just go tthe Samsung 50" DLP!!

My wife doesn't like it, says she can see rainbows, but I like it. I choose it over the Plasma and LCD is because of product life. I can change the bulb in the DLP if it ever goes out or gets dim. Oh, I got the Samsung HLP-5063W. :gheywave:
Old 08-31-2004, 03:47 PM
04 TL 6MT NAVI ABP/Q

The Samsung, definately.

I have had nothing but bad luck and problems with Philips products.
Samsung on the other hand, I have heard nothing but good things from a few friends that own them.

If the Sammy your looking into has the DVI Ports on the back, then you should also look into getting the Samsung HD931 DVD Player. Its got a Faroujda chip that upsamples all your DVDs to 720P and then sends down a pure digital dignal into the TV's DVI Port and displays the DVD at 720p on the screen. For a TV in a box (Meaning aside from Projectors with Screens) its one of the cleanest pictures your gonna see. Best part is you can find this player for under $300 most places.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by JSuppi
Have you checked the picture out on both units?? SOme people have issues with the color wheel on the first generation DLP's (HD2 if that's the one you're looking at). The problem is not as bad w/ the HD2+ or HD3 DLP chips, but you may still have a problem with viewing it for long periods of time (or even short periods of time).

the Samsung DLP I'm referring to is the one they kept showing durning the olympics... it's on a pedestal stand... (comes with it... no extra charge, unlike most TV's the stand is extra), it's not the first generation, but what I was told.. the 4th... it's got some kind of "new" color wheel design or something like that... the guy at Best Buy/Magnoia Home Theater was trying to explain to me, but it was "greek" to me. click HERE

I know it's a lot more expensive then the Philips HDTV plasma (from Costco) but the only reason why I'm considering a plasma is this... haven't you guys been to Costco where they display all the electronics, under the... really bad lighting? Right now, at the Costco by me... they have both the 61" Samsung DLP AND the Pioneer 43" plasma HDTV and also some other cheaper plasmas like the Akai EDTV... and under the worse warehouse lighting (like at Costco) the picture of the cheap plasma is still better than the Samsung DLP. That is why I'm considering a plasma.

And also... as for the life span of plasma TV's, have you guys ever been to those dept. stores where they have plasma TVs playing music videos all day long? Out here in cali. you'd see them at Macy's, anyway, I figure... if those TV's can last that long, and being on 18+ hours/day? I'm sure the life span on plasmas aren't as short as some people say.

I know, the Samsung DLP is the better choice... but it's a lot more to spend and I'd also would have to wait longer... I'm just excited because the football season starts next week AND the Star Wars triology comes out on DVD in Sept. too... I know, I know... call me a nerd, but I grew up in that era... and I just can't wait to watch them on a nice set...
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Havent seen you for awhile is300eater, where you disappear to?
Old 08-31-2004, 04:07 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Get Sony Wega 42 Inch. If not, Philips and make sure you GET THAT WARRANTEE extension
You won't be sorry then
Actually, that was another consideration... at the Sony Store, their 5 years (in home) extented warranty is only $180!!! Where as most store are asking from $400 to $500 for only 4 years! AND the Sony Store offers free shipping...

"OUT THE DOOR" price? under $3g!

So, believe me... that was on my list too
Old 08-31-2004, 04:10 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Havent seen you for awhile is300eater, where you disappear to?

Yeah, I kinda had a girlfriend/friend problem (go to http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91294 and you'll see what deep sh!t I was in)
Old 08-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Our local Sam's Club has the 50" Samsung DLP for $2678. It has the best picture I've ever seen on a tv period. Unfortunately I have no where to put the damned thing.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:16 PM
Banned

get the samsung 50inch, we have one, dont get Voom unless u are going to watch tv ALOT its muscho dinero(alot of money) just get reg. HD. The worst thing about HD is that once u watch it, ur hooked. You will love Discovery HD the pictures are so real. We watched the closing ceremony in HD, i was speechless. Get the Samsung, if u can wait till Oct. do it cuz tahts when they go on sale. The other DLP Tvs are no where near as good of a picture.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro

Overall, DLP picture is definitely better.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Ianbiz3
get the samsung 50inch, we have one, dont get Voom unless u are going to watch tv ALOT its muscho dinero(alot of money) just get reg. HD. The worst thing about HD is that once u watch it, ur hooked. You will love Discovery HD the pictures are so real. We watched the closing ceremony in HD, i was speechless. Get the Samsung, if u can wait till Oct. do it cuz tahts when they go on sale. The other DLP Tvs are no where near as good of a picture.

How do you know that the Samsung DLPs go on sale in Oct.? Does that include the new 50" DLP on that pedistal stand? ...cause that TV just came out like two weeks ago... in fact some stores don't even have it yet.

If, suppose... the DLPs go on sale in Oct... I'll def. wait.

and what's a "Voom"?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by varanelli
Overall, DLP picture is definitely better.
complete with rainbows.

plasma (when setup properly and a good model) is simply mind blowing.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:13 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by spidey07
complete with rainbows.

being one of the few people that's "pro-plasma" do you think this is a good deal? It's HDTV not EDTV reasonably priced and with Costco's "no hassle" return policy, no extended warranty is necessary. $3771 after tax and shipping

click HERE
Old 08-31-2004, 06:52 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
yo, IS get the DLP tv....when watching a game on it it is simply amazing... also i thought plasma tv's could be recharged??? I like th eDLP over plasma because plasma can't show black well.... and DLP looks a lot easier to maintain...
Old 08-31-2004, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by is300eater
being one of the few people that's "pro-plasma" do you think this is a good deal? It's HDTV not EDTV reasonably priced and with Costco's "no hassle" return policy, no extended warranty is necessary. $3771 after tax and shipping

click HERE
Well I can't really speak to that model because I don't have expereince with it.

There are pros and cons to each TV/technology..
Old 08-31-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro

Have you considered an HTPC setup? I'm in the process of finishing my basement and plan on building a projector/HTPC setup of 92" or 110". Total with screen, projector and PC should be about $3500.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:13 PM
Acura aficionado

Take a long look at the Sony KF-50WE610 50" Grand Wega™ HDTV-ready rear-projection LCD TV. Great TV! $3300, but discounted to $3000.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:32 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Krypton Ken
Take a long look at the Sony KF-50WE610 50" Grand Wega™ HDTV-ready rear-projection LCD TV. Great TV! $3300, but discounted to $3000.

...yeah, I mentioned in a previous reply that the Sony Wega is also a consideration, it does have an impressive picture, and the best part is... if you buy it from the Sony Store, the 5 years/in home extented warranty is only $180 (for the 42")!!! Whereas most stores are asking $400 to $500 for 4 years. From what I hear.... changing the tube for the Sony Wega is even easier... you do it yourself.

BUT, the only reason why I didn't make the Wega as one of the choices in the poll is... (there is one "downside"), Durning dark scenes... compared to the Samsung DLP, you'll see the difference... it's NOT black it's like... a dark grey. One of the guys at "The Good Guys" pointed that out to me. He told me that the staff used to be torn between the two TVs... until one day they decided to do a little contest and went through a series of comparisons... and it was neck and neck until they got to the "black screen." That's when you can tell the quality of the two.

It's still a nice TV though... believe me... everytime I go into the Sony Store, it's set up so nice that I'm tempted to buy it right there and then, but I usually have to force myself to walk away.

Now, if I could afford it? I'd go for the XBR 60" Grand Wega, that's in a whole league of it's own!!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Plasma is grainy. DLP is the way to go. Much sharper image. Do a test, watch credits of a movie or look at both TV's when text is on the screen. You will notice that the DLP is MUCH crisper and the Plasma is fuzzy. In some Plasma's you can't even read the text.

Also Plasma TV don't have a long life span. If you need the space an want to mount a Plasma on a wall then do it. Besides that go with DLP. And Samsung is the world leader when it comes to HDTV and DLP technology.

I would and will be getting a Samsung DLP soon.

Good luck picking one.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tuetatesu
Plasma is grainy. DLP is the way to go. Much sharper image. Do a test, watch credits of a movie or look at both TV's when text is on the screen. You will notice that the DLP is MUCH crisper and the Plasma is fuzzy. In some Plasma's you can't even read the text.

Also Plasma TV don't have a long life span. If you need the space an want to mount a Plasma on a wall then do it. Besides that go with DLP. And Samsung is the world leader when it comes to HDTV and DLP technology.

I would and will be getting a Samsung DLP soon.

Good luck picking one.
ummm, they are the same resolution. One is not more sharp than the other. They're the same resolution and both can fully resolve 720p high definition. Any "grainy" picture is a result of artificial processing or oversharpening of the image.

Now lets talk about color depth and black level. That's where plasmas shine.

Let's not forget about the headaches with DLP.

Both are great technologies, but in reality one is not "better" than the other. Just different pros and cons. To tell you the truth the only place you'll see either technology properly setup and calibrated is in a high-end video shop. Folks are used to insanely sharp pictures that in reality are masking detail. Once you've seen a calibrated set (greyscale/color/black level/contrast/sharpness) you'll never go back.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm rocking a new 42WE620 and love it. The DVI in makes it a great computer monitor.

Can't tell from the picture but text is very readable even from my couch. Gaming is soo sweet...
Old 09-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Burning Brakes

If you decide to check out LCD RP TVs, I recommend the Hitachi 50V500. I have it and like it very much. Excellent out of the box performance and HD picture quality IMHO.

I would avoid cheaper Plasmas. A good plasma is a fine choice, but the Plasmas you get for under $4k are probably going to be inferior to a nice LCD or DLP RP.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

Anyone know if LCD is better or DLP? I can hardly tell the difference at the store and the sales guy at Circuit City didn't know crap.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverUA5
Anyone know if LCD is better or DLP? I can hardly tell the difference at the store and the sales guy at Circuit City didn't know crap.
They both have advantages and disadvantages. LCD doesn't have the rainbow effect, but may lack some of the ultimate brightness and black/dark contrast of a DLP. Some LCDs are better than some DLPs, and vice versa. The new generations of both are coming out as of late, so I am sure the answer is even more complex . . .
Old 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by is300eater
How do you know that the Samsung DLPs go on sale in Oct.? Does that include the new 50" DLP on that pedistal stand? ...cause that TV just came out like two weeks ago... in fact some stores don't even have it yet.

If, suppose... the DLPs go on sale in Oct... I'll def. wait.

and what's a "Voom"?
VOOM=sat/cable service with all HD.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by spidey07
complete with rainbows.

ya but higher then 400:1 contrast ratio

until CCFL lamp on plasmas are replaceable they arnt worth it. that lightbulb dies you might as well toss that screen.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

I bought a Toshiba 42" HD plasma and love it. I went with the plasma because I could not get a huge set into the apt and I did not want to sacrifice the room for a rear projection. Got the bestbuy warranty for 180 which covers 4yrs. Looked awesome with my direct tv set up till i had to switch to Digital IO cable service. The regular channels look like crap but the HD channels look so live you can reach out and touch them.

Quick Reply: 50" Samsung DLP or a 42" HDTV Plasma?