Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Sonics gone - so pissed

Old 07-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sonics gone - so pissed

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...nitrial02.html

I grew up watching the Sonics and now because of the list of jackasses (politicians, Bennett, Stern, Schultz), they are gone.

:theghey:
Old 07-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Sorry to hear that. As a fan of the NBA, I'm sorry to see them move. They just belong in Seattle.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46 PM
#GOBULLS

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just read an article on this. This is kind of sad. The Sonics belong in Seattle not Oklahoma. Is this because the Key Arena is gonna be replaced?
Old 07-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yea this sucks, I love seattle and the sonics (at least in my youth I remember vaguely the payton/kemp days).

is it true they are going to be under a different team name/colors completely and leaving the seattle sonics history with the city of seattle?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The NBA and Bennett said Key Arena wasn't good enough even though it was remodeled for the NBA 13 years ago. So Bennett said if the city doesn't pony up a $500 million arena, they're gone. $500 MILLION! And Bennett won't put up anything.

They said that Seattle gets to keep the name, history, and colors but in Bennett's press conference, he said they'll make duplicate banners and championship trophy. WTF????

This all stinks to high heaven and the fans are the losers.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,773 Likes on 13,967 Posts
Terrible...

From ESPN...

Clay Bennett finally found a dollar amount that would sever his contentious relationship with the city of Seattle -- $75 million.

As a result, the SuperSonics are headed to Oklahoma City with Bennett leading the way, leaving behind the team name, colors and 41 years of history.

Oklahoma City will have an NBA franchise for the 2008-09 season after a settlement announced Wednesday between the team and the city of Seattle, ending the clashing bond with the city that culminated in a six-day federal trial over terms of the team's KeyArena lease. The judge was scheduled to rule Wednesday afternoon.

"We made it," Bennett said after stepping to an Oklahoma City podium featuring the NBA logo and the letters OKC. "The NBA will be in Oklahoma City next season."

The settlement calls for Bennett and his Professional Basketball Club LLC to pay as much as $75 million to the city in exchange for the immediate termination of the lease. The team's name and colors will be staying in Seattle.

Bennett said the move would start Thursday and the first focus would be on the SuperSonics' players.

"In a perfect world I would have liked to see Clay Bennett leave, without the team at all," said Steven Pyeatt, the co-founder of Save Our Sonics.

It's a victory for Bennett, who purchased the Sonics in 2006 from Starbucks Corp. chairman Howard Schultz for $350 million, and will take the franchise to his hometown. Bennett faced harsh criticism in Seattle for his efforts in trying to build a new arena as a replacement for KeyArena, and the presumption he wanted to move the franchise all along.

"It was a tough experience for all of us that were involved in it. There was just so much that happened on both sides, so much misinterpreted, miscommunicated and misunderstood that it was difficult," Bennett said.

Bennett announced that the settlement calls for a payment of $45 million immediately, and would include another $30 million paid to Seattle in 2013 if the state legislature in Washington authorizes at least $75 million in public funding to renovate KeyArena by the end of 2009 and Seattle doesn't obtain an NBA franchise of its own within the next five years.

The settlement could become a victory for Seattle as well. In a statement, NBA commissioner David Stern reversed his previous stance and said that a renovated KeyArena could be a suitable venue for an NBA franchise in Seattle. But the time is short.

"We understand that city, county, and state officials are currently discussing a plan to substantially rebuild KeyArena for the sum of $300 million," Stern said in a statement. "If this funding were authorized, we believe KeyArena could properly be renovated into a facility that meets NBA standards relating to revenue generation, fan amenities, team facilities, and the like."

However, Stern added, "given the lead times associated with any franchise acquisition or relocation and with a construction project as complex as a KeyArena renovation, authorization of the public funding needs to occur by the end of 2009 in order for there to be any chance for the NBA to return to Seattle within the next five years."

Bennett said he and Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels signed a binding agreement Wednesday, which would be formalized later, that keeps the SuperSonics' name, logo and colors available if Seattle gets a replacement franchise. Bennett said his franchise would create duplicate championship banners and trophies, leaving one set in Seattle and using the second set for undetermined purposes in Oklahoma City.

We have 30 million reasons why we have support for a future NBA team," Seattle city attorney Tom Carr said.

In April, the NBA Board of Governors approved Bennett's application to move the team to Oklahoma City, pending the outcome of the trial between the team and the city. The settlement came six days after the trial concluded.

"A really exciting day. We had been gearing up for the 2010 season, and to find out the team's coming two years early is a bonus," Oklahoma City mayor Mick Cornett said.

The settlement doesn't cover a pending lawsuit filed by Schultz, who is seeking to regain control of the team. Schultz claims that Bennett didn't follow through on an agreement to negotiate in good faith for a new arena in Seattle for one full year before seeking relocation options.

"We believe it's baseless, has no merit. We will fight it vigorously," Bennett said of that lawsuit.

Schultz's attorney, Richard Yarmuth said his client's lawsuit will move forward. As part of the settlement, if the PBC is prevented from playing in Oklahoma City during the next two seasons because of Schultz's lawsuit, the city will be required to repay Bennett's group $22.5 million for each season. If the team is required to play in KeyArena for those two seasons, Bennett's group is released from the additional $30 million it would owe the city.

"We're not a party to this settlement and in fact we chose not to participate in it," Yarmuth said.

ESPN legal analyst Lester Munson reports that Schultz's case will be bolstered by the testimony and arguments of this past trial and that there is still a chance that he could prevail.

The trial between the team and city was centered on the lease agreement that called for the Sonics to play at KeyArena through the 2009-10 season. Sonics lead attorney Brad Keller contended that Bennett should simply be able to write a check to satisfy the final two years of the lease. Keller argued that the "specific performance" clause the city rested its case on should not apply in a garden-variety dispute between tenant and landlord.

Bennett and his ownership group previously offered to pay the city $26.5 million in February to buy out the final two years of the lease. They were rebuffed.

Nickels noted that Wednesday's settlement would cover lost rent, tax revenue and pay off the remaining debt on KeyArena.

"I believed all along enforcing our lease would allow us time to come to a better arrangement," Nickels said. "We now have that deal."
Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Drifting

i want to know what their new name will be......oklahoma city haberdashers? oklahoma city farmers?

it's going to be really weird without a team in seattle. I'd like someone to start another team there soon.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
oklahoma city bombers
Old 07-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Race Director

Received 891 Likes on 541 Posts
What is it with owners who don't want to pay anything for their own stadiums but want all the profits from the stadiums or arenas.

At least in NY the Mets and Yankees and Islander owners are paying for them themselves.
The only thing the city has to put up is infrastructure, which I have no problem with.

I see this going down hill as a loser for the ex-Sonics owner as I don;t think Oklahoma City has enough base to cover a professional sports team.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:38 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sad news.

Greedy owners FTL.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Drifting

considering the guy is from OKC, I think his whining about a new arena was just an excuse to move. What do you think would happen after someone buys the team from starbucks? I don't think he ever intended to stay though, and he is just an evil owner. Probably also why they gave up ray allen and lewis, and everyone else, just to try and cut all ties they really had to the city. Do you guys in seattle feel really connected to anyone on the sonics team?

I think they are going to be kinda just viewed as an expansion team after they change their name and color, as after last season they are pretty much starting from scratch.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh Hullow

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
what is the benefit of moving to oklahoma city anyway?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
more $
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 03bl AC k CL
i think the league was desperate to have a team move to OKC after how much the people there supported the hornets.

anyways, it's sad to see the team leave after so many seasons there. from my understanding, the fans were/are top notch.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
It's pretty sad for any city to lose a franchise. We essentially lost the SF Giants a few years ago when they were going to move to Tampa Bay. It was very very sad watching that last Giants game that year. Peter Mcgowan and his investing partners came in and saved the Giants at the end.

Getting funding for sports facilities are tough. The city of SF and San Jose voted down a total of 4 ballots for new ballparks. AT&T park is able to exist due to private finance from the Giants. The public didn't even want to pay a dime.

I love AT&T park. We are lucky to have it here. One of the most beautiful ballparks in baseall.

Last edited by Silver_Surfer; 07-04-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Drifting

i remember the raiders and rams leaving LA, I don't care the raiders just 'moved back' to where they belong. I still don't like either team anymore. Doesn't help they left like the same year.

I think having them change names might ease the pain a little bit, but I would probably still hate seeing them play in another city. But at least it leaves it open for the sonics franchise to reopen in seattle in the future.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
From my understanding of the situation, this was a classic case of the following ingredients: Foolish city officials, a former owner (schultz) looking for an easy out, new owners with ulterior motives, an apathetic fan base. Voila ~ say bye bye.

It's just a matter of time before some deep pocketed owner starts a new franchise, Seattle is too big a town to live without an NBA team for long, plus the city retains the right to the Supersonic name, as it should.

I lived in Seattle for a while after college, its a great town -- can't wait to see Paul Allen dump the Jailblazers and restart the Sonics.

Come to think of it, I'm still surprised that they haven't acquired an NHL franchise yet.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,117 Likes on 801 Posts
This is huge for OKC.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It shouldn't have happend. Its like the Browns leaving Cleveland.