Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Orioles 3,000 Hits Club Star Rafael Palmeiro Tests Positive For Steroids

Old 08-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I call
Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LLWesMan
Who's the source?
Senator Kennedy.

Just a friend - but what he said kind of meshed with some of the other chatter out on the internet about a couple of other names on the way...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,859 Likes on 14,004 Posts
Meh...but, just an update on the cheater...

===================

Palmeiro shed little light on why he tested positive
Source: espn.com

BALTIMORE -- Rafael Palmeiro failed to explain how a steroid entered his system when he went before a baseball panel several months ago to plead his case, The Baltimore Sun reported Friday.

The Baltimore Orioles star shed little light during his long statement on why and how he tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug, three sources familiar with the transcript told the newspaper. The sources were interviewed on condition of anonymity because they wanted to wait until Congress finishes its review.

In August, Palmeiro said he never knowingly used steroids. Through agent Arn Tellem he has said the positive drug test will be regarded differently once certain information is disclosed.

"There is another side to this story, and Raffy will tell it soon," Tellem said. "I hope that the public will wait to make a final judgment about Rafael until they hear his story in its entirety."

Palmeiro is the most prominent major league player punished for taking banned drugs. The 40-year-old slugger tested positive in the spring. He challenged that finding at an undisclosed time before Major League Baseball's arbitration panel.

In March, Palmeiro testified before the House Government Reform Committee that he had never used steroids.

The arbitration panel has denied Palmeiro's appeal, saying the player failed to establish the positive test result was not his fault. The panel added it found that Palmeiro's testimony "in many respects was quite compelling" and there was no evidence he was "untruthful."

Baseball suspended Palmeiro for 10 days and the House committee is now examining arbitration hearing transcripts to determine whether Palmeiro lied to Congress.

Palmeiro tested positive for the powerful steroid stanozolol, a person with knowledge of the sport's drug-testing program has told The Associated Press. The person did not want to be identified because the sport prohibits disclosure of test results without authorization.

Experts say it is unlikely such a steroid could have entered his system accidentally.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Banned

What a dick!!! Not only is he a cheater and a liar, but a rat, too.

Rafael Palmeiro reportedly told a three-member baseball arbitration panel that a teammate gave him a substance that might be responsible for his positive steroid test, a source told the Baltimore Sun.

A second source told the Sun that Palmeiro named the teammate when he presented his defense when appealing his suspension. However, a source told the newspaper that while he told the panel that he had received a substance from a teammate, he didn't make the case that the substance in question caused his positive test result.

The House Committee on Government Reform is investigating whether Palmeiro's statements to the panel have merit, the Sun reported, by interviewing people, including members of the Orioles such as Palmeiro himself and the team's head trainer, Richie Bancells.

Bancells confirmed to the newspaper that he had spoken to the committee.

The baseball arbitration panel denied Palmeiro's appeal, saying he failed to establish the positive test result was not his fault.

Baseball suspended Palmeiro for 10 days and the House committee is now examining arbitration hearing transcripts to determine whether Palmeiro lied to Congress when he testified he had never taken steroids.

Palmeiro stood by his statements to Congress, saying he didn't know what caused the test result.

Earlier this month, the Baltimore Sun reported that the House committee is uncertain whether there is enough evidence to refer the case to the Justice Department. However, the committee is considering several other options.

One scenario, officials familiar with the situation told the Sun, has the committee making the documents pertaining to Palmeiro's case public. The committee received the documents related to the first baseman's positive steroid test from Major League Baseball on Aug. 12. A document release could happen in the next two weeks and would allow the public to decide for itself about Palmeiro.

The documents include the results of Palmeiro's tests, the tests' dates and the record of secret proceedings before a three-member arbitration panel after Palmeiro appealed the results. The appeal was denied, and the documents would show how Palmeiro defended himself while not offering an explanation as to how the steroid entered his system.

The committee has also not ruled out sending the case to the Justice Department, which could bring a perjury charge against Palmeiro. But the Sun reported that that option is less likely than others because of the difficulty of proving Palmeiro had knowingly used the drug when he appeared before Congress.

Palmeiro said that he would never take a performance-enhancing substance intentionally after he tested positive for the steroid stanozolol. However, experts have said that is is unlikely stanozolol could have entered his system by accident. Palmeiro said he won't comment publicly on the matter until Congress finishes its review.

A congressional source familiar with the committee's work, speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, said several active players have spoken or will speak with the committee. That source would not identify who was interviewed.

But Colorado Rockies outfielder Jorge Piedra told The Associated Press that he spoke on the phone with the committee. He said investigators contacted him through his agent about a week ago, found out "all they wanted to know" in a matter of minutes and didn't plan to contact him again.

Piedra, the second player publicly identified under the sport's new steroid rules when he was suspended for 10 days in April, said the committee "had a few questions and I just answered them honestly."

"I told them I didn't have anything to do with Palmeiro," Piedra said after the Rockies played the Padres in Denver. "We only worked out a few times together."

The congressional source indicated that all the players asked to talk to the committee recently were chosen because they have relationships with Palmeiro -- such as teammates or workout partners -- and could have knowledge about whether he might have used steroids before his testimony.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

He's saying a vitamin B-12 injection may have caused the positive test. Huh? I'd better stop taking my 1-A-Day and eating fish, meat, dairy etc just to make sure I don't ever test positive.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

I pray that MLB is not stupid enough to let him into the HoF...
Old 09-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Moderator

What a loser...can't believe he ratted on Tejada...

============

Tejada cleared; it was only a B12 vitamin

Associated Press

9/23/2005 10:17:42 AM

NEW YORK (AP) - Both the Baltimore Orioles and major league baseball have absolved Miguel Tejada of any wrongdoing after teammate Rafael Palmeiro cited a vitamin he received from Tejada as possibly causing the positive steroid test that led to the first baseman's suspension.

"They tested the stuff Miggy had and found out it was B12 and cleared it and that's the end of the story," Orioles executive vice-president Jim Beattie said.

Palmeiro said he received vitamin B-12 from Tejada, a source requesting anonymity who was familiar with Palmeiro's unsuccessful grievance hearing to overturn the suspension said Thursday.

Tejada dismissed Palmeiro's assertion as implausible.

"Right now I'm in shock," Tejada, a former American League MVP, said after Baltimore lost 7-6 to the New York Yankees on Thursday night. "I've never given anybody steroids before.

"I've been checked out three times already, and I'm clean. I've been clean all my life."

Tejada said he gave Palmeiro the B-12 injection "a long time ago."

"It doesn't bother me because I'm not guilty. I've done nothing wrong. I just gave him B-12, and B-12 is legal," Tejada said. "You don't get caught for B-12."

Vitamin B-12 helps maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells, and is commonly found in foods such as fish, meat, poultry and dairy products.

Palmeiro has not publicly discussed details of the testimony he gave during a grievance filed by the players' association to overturn his 10-day suspension, which followed a positive test for stanozolol. He testified before the U.S. House Government Reform Committee last March that he never used steroids and was interviewed by congressional investigators following the Aug. 1 announcement on his penalty.

According to the source, Palmeiro listed the B-12 as a possible reason for the positive test but did not make any definitive accusation.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yumchah
I pray that MLB is not stupid enough to let him into the HoF...
Sportswriters decide that.