Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: Lance Briggs is an idiot...

Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
The only other Team that has tagged a player twice was the Rams and Sean Gilbert. It was a mess for both. No other team has done it, but there was some much shit from it.

Boy you people in Chicago really hate this guy, don't you. Who you should hate is the cheap SOB's the own the team. Chicago won't get back the the Super Bowl for another 22 years. They raped Chicago for a new Stadium and won't spend that money to players that have proved themselves.
but he is really mad at the wrong people...gene upshaw is who he should go after. either way...id rather re-sign vasher, harris and tillman before him...can not put that much money at one position. Harris will probably set the bar at a defensive tackles contract as well.

and you are wrong. Orlando Pace was franchised three times in a row (the maximum) by the rams....and ill ask you....who was the last player to hold out an entire year? and then, did they get a better contract or make more money over the life of their career because of it?

Last edited by evilstorm; 03-14-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:44 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by evilstorm
but he is really mad at the wrong people...gene upshaw is who he should go after. either way...id rather re-sign vasher, harris and tillman before him...can not put that much money at one position. Harris will probably set the bar at a defensive tackles contract as well.

and you are wrong. Orlando Pace was franchised three times in a row (the maximum) by the rams....and ill ask you....who was the last player to hold out an entire year? and then, did they get a better contract or make more money over the life of their career because of it?

Yeah I forgot abouthim, only because he stayed with the same team. I'll go back to Sean Gilbert for your last question, he was traded to the Redskins and the Pathers signed him to the biggest contract that was ever given at that time. He played for them for 5 years.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
The only other Team that has tagged a player twice was the Rams and Sean Gilbert. It was a mess for both. No other team has done it, but there was some much shit from it.

Boy you people in Chicago really hate this guy, don't you. Who you should hate is the cheap SOB's the own the team. Chicago won't get back the the Super Bowl for another 22 years. They raped Chicago for a new Stadium and won't spend that money to players that have proved themselves.
Well, sorry...perhaps I just don't see that whining about being paid the average of the TOP 5 salaries in my position is the smartest thing on the planet?

And again, I must ask why he's pouting anyhow? The Bears approached him with a reasonable contract extension which he didn't want. So, since Chicago can use something that the NFLPA NEGOTIATED for FOR the players, they used it to help themselves too. And in the process, Briggs gets a bazillion percent raise. At $7+ million, he really has nothing to whine about.

Is he Latrell Sprewell? Does he have alot of kids to feed too?
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Well, sorry...perhaps I just don't see that whining about being paid the average of the TOP 5 salaries in my position is the smartest thing on the planet?

And again, I must ask why he's pouting anyhow? The Bears approached him with a reasonable contract extension which he didn't want. So, since Chicago can use something that the NFLPA NEGOTIATED for FOR the players, they used it to help themselves too. And in the process, Briggs gets a bazillion percent raise. At $7+ million, he really has nothing to whine about.

So if someone wanted to hire you to do the same as another, but the paid the other person more because he had a wife and five kids and you didn't you'd be OK with that.

Some of you have said you can see both sides and others are damn right insistent that what he's doing is wrong. The team can do what their doing and he can do what he's doing.

If the Bears hold the tag on him (which I agreed that it's their right) and prevent him from making the money he believes and others (every talking head on TV) can get if given a fair shoot at making. Then he can sit out 10 weeks come in and make his 2.7m for 6 games and go about his business. That's what's in the CBA as well. It doesn't benefit either. The Bears are $17 million under the salary cap the need to spend some of that money, but the old hag won't do it.

It's not about one year, it's about his future.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by evilstorm
and ill ask you....who was the last player to hold out an entire year? and then, did they get a better contract or make more money over the life of their career because of it?
i dont remember the last player to hold out the ENTIRE year but branch held out last year until the pats traded him and he received a huge pay increase. whats going to suck for briggs is, if im not mistaken, there was a rule change in the CBA on the amount a player can be fined for holding out (because of deion branch, IMO), and it increased exponentially. so for short term financial perspective, it might not be wise to sit out for briggs because the fines are a lot more than what it used to be but i think the success rate of getting a trade or a larger contract is really high for an NFL player that declares that he will hold out. referring to richard seymour, deion branch, mike mckenzie, john abraham, it goes on longer but those players all have been able to get traded to another team, released, or got a long term contract they wanted.

his contract was not reasonable or else he would have taken it. everyone has different perceptions of what reasonable is. why would briggs turn a contract that was reasonable if he didnt honestly think he could get more money elsewhere? what you dont seem to understand is that while the bears have a right to franchise tag him, he has a right to hold out.

also, comparing his salary by a percentaqe raise doesnt work if youre making shit to begin with. thats like saying if hes being paid $10/year and he gets a raise to $2,000/year. WHOA, thats a huge percentage increase and he should take it. i think $7 mil is plenty to get by in a year but he wants a long term contract, not a yearly contract.

they should just use the extra salary cap to lock down harris. EVENTUALLY, theyre going to trade him because he will cause a distraction to the team. my thinking is, why wait? hes not going to cave so take off the franchise tag, trade his ass while he still has some market value, get some players for him and do what is best for the bears organization. letting him sit out the year is not going to do anything but cause a distraction and make jerry angelo look like a vengeful fuck.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by jsong83
i dont remember the last player to hold out the ENTIRE year but branch held out last year until the pats traded him and he received a huge pay increase. whats going to suck for briggs is, if im not mistaken, there was a rule change in the CBA on the amount a player can be fined for holding out (because of deion branch, IMO), and it increased exponentially. so for short term financial perspective, it might not be wise to sit out for briggs because the fines are a lot more than what it used to be but i think the success rate of getting a trade or a larger contract is really high for an NFL player that declares that he will hold out. referring to richard seymour, deion branch, mike mckenzie, john abraham, it goes on longer but those players all have been able to get traded to another team, released, or got a long term contract they wanted.
Branch was a hold out, with a current contract. Briggs cannot be fined he's not under contract. He's a restricted free agent and with the Franchise Tag, not allow to talked to other teams, unless that team is willing to give up and at least a 1st round and 3rd round pick. In some cases with Franchise Tag teams want 2 1st round picks.

Also to go with what you wrote, he did turn down a contract before last year started. He said it wasn't enough and I'll play to show you what I'm worth. The Bears haven't and won't begin to even start new contract talks with him. That's an insult. The GM is an asshole.

Last edited by jupitersolo; 03-14-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:38 AM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts
While a proposal has yet to be formalized, the Washington Redskins will make a trade offer to the Chicago Bears aimed at acquiring two-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs, agent Drew Rosenhaus and two league sources told ESPN.com late Monday night.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

looks like Briggs might be coming to DC... for a swap of first-round draft picks... thoughts?

OT: man I hate Drew Rosenhaus
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by SHYUperman
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2814052

looks like Briggs might be coming to DC... for a swap of first-round draft picks... thoughts?

OT: man I hate Drew Rosenhaus
Rosenhaus = asshole

Briggs in a skins uniform, with Fletcher
Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Rosenhaus = asshole

Briggs in a skins uniform, with Fletcher
Not likely. I hope they keep him and let him sit out the first 10 games...why pay the 6th pick briggs type money when you can just pay briggs himself?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm calling it now, LB will SUCK in another system. Do the trade already!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by synth19
I'm calling it now, LB will SUCK in another system. Do the trade already!
Well, he's good. But, to me, he's a Warrick Holdman/Rosie Colvin-type player...someone who immensely benefitted from playing next to Urlacher. Most teams spend their efforts blocking #54 and so, guess where all the play goes and hence all the tackles...? To the other side...

You put a bust like LaVar Arrington next to Urlacher and he'll put up decent numbers too.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Post Bears turn down Redskins' offer...

Story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2823964
Old 04-03-2007, 07:09 PM
J M U ... DUUUKEESSSS

Received 266 Likes on 131 Posts

I guess it was too good to be true...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh look...3 days away from the draft and not a peep. And I just read that the supposed T-Bay interest in Briggs is vapor-talk.

I guess Rosenhaus (how surprising!) and Briggs are overestimating his value...?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
WTF... this thread is 3 pages already?? That's a lot, considering nothing has happened with Briggs yet. Guess he's still an idiot.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Post Briggs re-signs...

Oh look...Briggs signs.

I guess it must really suck to sign for a year to play @ $7M+...

Story here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 AM
101 years of heartache...

Lost his stock when Rosenhaus shopped him around at the players meetings. I see it as this; you're 1 of 32 bachelors, and Rosenhaus brings you someone else's (the Bears in this case) girlfriend and tries to convince you that they're a good match for you. Although it's tempting, it really hurts the girl's integrity.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:46 AM
Race Director

i wonder how this teammates will treat him now.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Briggs > Overatedlachor
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by bent09
Briggs > Overatedlachor

You're kidding, right...?