Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
I think kirk cousins is a good pickup.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,287 Likes on 952 Posts
He is but somehow Cutler is available.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
I think kirk cousins is a good pickup.
He's at the top of my waiver wire picks.

Between suspensions and injuries, this has been a wild start to the season. 5 out of 9 bench players are suspended or out. Some big names are dropping like flies.

Last edited by 1Louder; 09-16-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:40 PM
2008 Acura TL

Received 197 Likes on 183 Posts
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 1Louder
He's at the top of my waiver wire picks.

Between suspensions and injuries, this has been a wild start to the season. 5 out of 9 bench players are suspended or out. Some big names are dropping like flies.
I need a backup QB since i didn't pick one in the draft. nobody really impressed me and i only have 5 bench spots. david carr is another one im looking at as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Okay, I'm ready for the e-flames...but, am I the only one who thinks the issue with AP deciding to discipline his son is overblown?
I'm half with you and think you're half crazy. I got whooped as well as a child, I'm for corporal punishment.

That said, it becomes a fine line between discipline and abuse. Some of that line is based on what the discipline was for. Was the kid playing with matches? Whoop him to teach him the severity of what he's done. Was he fighting with his brother over a video game? Take the game away, end of story, that's not a whoopable offense IMO.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
9 distinct whip marks 4 days after the beating on a 4 year old, on the side of his thigh, two with scabs.

No, I don't think it's overblown. It's not a harmless spanking. He beat the crap out of his defenseless kid.
The following users liked this post:
97BlackAckCL (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Team Owner

And like that AP is deactivated again. NFL flip flopping twice this month.
97BlackAckCL (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,024 Posts
IMG_52897664274743_zpsd5dqfmzo.jpeg
Old 09-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by Doom878

elessar (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
And like that AP is deactivated again.
Wait, what...so they can deactivate these football machines? You mean like C3PO?

That should resolve a lot of the behavior issues.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,653 Likes on 13,892 Posts
Okay...lingering wounds like that on AP's kid, I did NOT know.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
This isn't the NFL, it is individual humans from separate teams trying to make the best decision possible for many involved.

We live in a country that we are to be innocent until proven guilty. And many don't want to step on that, but then others want blood from the second a story is released.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
This isn't the NFL, it is individual humans from separate teams trying to make the best decision possible for many involved.

We live in a country that we are to be innocent until proven guilty. And many don't want to step on that, but then others want blood from the second a story is released.
I think the issue is preferential treatment because of their nfl status. If this was a blue collar family many feel the authorities would handle it differently.

I agree that the justice system needs it's opportunity to play everything out. I also feel that if these weren't NFL players justice would be swifter and much more harsh.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
As usual with the NFL it all comes down to money. With various sponsors voicing their disapproval over how this situation has been handled, then and only then do they think it's best to suspend AP again.

Fucking figures since I dropped Asiata last night!
Doom878 (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
I figured as much. There's no way I'd do that to my kids, and I'm sure you feel the same about your little guy. And the two of us combined probably don't have anywhere near the physical power that AP does.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

asian parents don't care for that. or you can go with russell peters dad's logic.

"if i can make one, i can make another one. and i would tell the this one the last one shouldve done.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
As usual with the NFL it all comes down to money. With various sponsors voicing their disapproval over how this situation has been handled, then and only then do they think it's best to suspend AP again.

Fucking figures since I dropped Asiata last night!
NFL sponsors, Anheuser-Busch, Nike, and McDonald's made a statement and then AP's career magically gets put on hold in the middle of the night. Plus Nike suspended ties with him an hour ago. Today Vikings ownership says today they made it right....just like they did on Monday when they re-instated him.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
This is nearly an impossible line for the NFL to walk - I'm not surprised it's going back and forth.

If the NFL reacts too quickly to public opinion (without underlying legal facts), you can (and will) get false stories generated that will take down key players before big games. Lots of fallout from that happening - and hysteria is easy to generate these days. But if the NFL reacts too slowly, then they look like they endorse child/wife abuse. Lots of fallout from that too.

They need is a much better process for dealing with this rather than Goodell's current "case by case" policy. With all the drug suspensions, legal issues and just plain injuries, I can't recall when the NFL was in such a damaged state.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
I was raised and when I got whipped...it was with anything that's within hand's reach. One time... it turned out to be a bamboo cane...and DAMN that hurt but you know what...I learned that lesson.

I'm not saying I approve of what AP did, but I understand his mentality and where he's coming from. Since he was raised that way...and he didn't learn any alternative means of discipline, then that's the only way he knows how to deal with disciplining his own offspring. It's not right, it's not wrong, it's just the singular method he knows of until he learns of a different way to deal with it, which after this incident, I'm sure he will learn the alternative ways.

As a father of a 3 year old toddler, and as a person that was raised with spankings and whippings as a regular form of discipline, I find myself sometimes on the edge of applying the same form of discipline. However, my wife and I are taking the positive parenting approach so we'll see. It's very hard thing to do from my perspective and it's a continual learning process for me.

I told my own siblings that our children will be a 20 year long experiment since they are raising their kids with the same strict discipline that our parents used on us. We'll see how all this turns out in 20 years when they're full form adults.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

IMG_5936266531468_zpslxxhrd5w.jpeg
MySoCalLife (09-19-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Originally Posted by svtmike
And the two of us combined probably don't have anywhere near the physical power that AP does.
I fail to see how combining twiggy with yourself gets you any closer to AP's physical prowess.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by endo022
I was raised and when I got whipped...it was with anything that's within hand's reach. One time... it turned out to be a bamboo cane...and DAMN that hurt but you know what...I learned that lesson.

I'm not saying I approve of what AP did, but I understand his mentality and where he's coming from. Since he was raised that way...and he didn't learn any alternative means of discipline, then that's the only way he knows how to deal with disciplining his own offspring. It's not right, it's not wrong, it's just the singular method he knows of until he learns of a different way to deal with it, which after this incident, I'm sure he will learn the alternative ways.

As a father of a 3 year old toddler, and as a person that was raised with spankings and whippings as a regular form of discipline, I find myself sometimes on the edge of applying the same form of discipline. However, my wife and I are taking the positive parenting approach so we'll see. It's very hard thing to do from my perspective and it's a continual learning process for me.

I told my own siblings that our children will be a 20 year long experiment since they are raising their kids with the same strict discipline that our parents used on us. We'll see how all this turns out in 20 years when they're full form adults.
It was hard for me as well, my son now in the 8th grade turning 14 in a few months has not been spanked in seven or so years ( I think I may have said 10 years before in this thread, but that was bad math). And that was used as a punishment for bad behavior, not me in anger venting on him, because he did something wrong.

A child hit in anger is not a spanking but child abuse, anybody these days should know that and the "that's what happened to me as a child" is no excuse. Because if a were to hit my son, less than 2yrs old acorss the fingers with a butterknife, I'd be in jail. This is something that was done to me. Plus I've been spanked with Willow tree branch and belt that left marks and swelling for days.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by black label
I think the issue is preferential treatment because of their nfl status. If this was a blue collar family many feel the authorities would handle it differently.

I agree that the justice system needs it's opportunity to play everything out. I also feel that if these weren't NFL players justice would be swifter and much more harsh.
How can you say handle differently, AP case is in front of a Grand Jury, that no different from anybody else.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Senior Moderator

At the risk of turning this into a "spanking" thread...

IMHO, physical and forceful contact is a lazy man's excuse for discipline. There are other constructive means to achieve the same goal, but they require effort, patience, and practice--all things many parents don't have and are unwilling to try.

The way I look at it, I can't hit my wife, sibling, parent, neighbor, friend or a random stranger if they behave poorly. Why should I be able to hit my child?
Old 09-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I fail to see how combining twiggy with yourself gets you any closer to AP's physical prowess.

HEY!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
How can you say handle differently, AP case is in front of a Grand Jury, that no different from anybody else.
Little bit of a chain of events thing.

You quoted doom who mentioned flip flopping 2x this month. I quoted you still referring to how RR and AP have been treated by the law.

Is a grand jury required in the state AP is being prosecuted? If not, do you think your case would be heard in front of a grand jury if you did the same thing with the same evidence and not being a pro football player?
Old 09-18-2014, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

Another player busted for domestic violence. The events occurred in late July but the police were contacted last Thursday, Sept. 11. Another player on paid leave until TBD.

Jonathan Dwyer of Arizona Cardinals arrested on two counts of suspicion of aggravated assault - ESPN

Jonathan Dwyer arrested, deactivated

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Josh Weinfuss
ESPN.com

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer has been deactivated from all team activities following his arrest Wednesday on charges of aggravated assault.

The counts stem from two incidents involving a 27-year-old female and an 18-month-old child at Dwyer's home in southeast Phoenix on July 21 at 8 a.m. and July 22 at 4 p.m., according to the Phoenix Police Department.

Dwyer, 25, was booked into Maricopa County Jail on Wednesday on one count of aggravated assault causing a fracture, one count of aggravated assault involving a minor, two counts of criminal damage, one count of preventing the use of a phone in an emergency, and assault.

He was freed on a $25,000 cash bond early Thursday and ordered to wear an electronic monitoring device. He also cannot have contact with the alleged victims, cannot travel outside of Arizona and cannot have involvement with weapons, drugs or alcohol.

Dwyer admitted to the incidents during interviews with detectives but denied physically assaulting the female and child. According to police, a search warrant was being executed at his home.

According to a statement, the Cardinals weren't made aware of the allegations against Dwyer until Wednesday but are fully cooperating.

"Given the serious nature of the allegations we have taken the immediate step to deactivate Jonathan from all team activities," the team said. "We will continue to closely monitor this as it develops and evaluate additional information as it becomes available."

An NFL spokesperson said Dwyer's arrest will be reviewed under the league's personal conduct policy.

According to Phoenix police, the female and child left Arizona shortly after the July incidents but a report wasn't filed with the Phoenix Police Department until last Thursday. After conducting interviews with witnesses and obtaining out-of-state medical records, investigators developed probable cause to arrest Dwyer on Wednesday in Tempe, Arizona.

Authorities depicted a stormy relationship between Dwyer and the woman that escalated into violence on July 21, four days before the Cardinals reported to training camp.

Neighbors heard a fight and called police, who showed up at the residence but left without making an arrest because Dwyer hid in the bathroom and the woman said no one else was at the home, Sgt. Trent Crump said.

Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer was deactivated from team activities following his arrest on allegations of aggravated assault.

"She said she was in an argument on the phone only," Crump said.

The next day, Crump said, Dwyer snatched the woman's cellphone and threw it from the second floor of their residence to prevent her from calling police about another dispute.

Crump confirmed there was an allegation that Dwyer threw a shoe at or toward his son. Crump said he couldn't elaborate on it.

Crump said the woman moved out of state with the child, but came forward last week and provided police with information about her injuries and text messages indicating Dwyer "was going to harm himself because of what had been going on."

This is the second domestic violence case involving a Cardinals player. Inside linebacker Daryl Washington pleaded guilty to assaulting his ex-girlfriend and is serving a year of supervised probation. Washington has not yet been penalized by the NFL for the offense but is suspended for this season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, which runs the jail, said Dwyer had refused all media interviews.

Dwyer was signed on March 12 to a one-year contract as a free agent. He was scheduled to be the Cardinals' highest-paid running back at $795,000 this season, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Through two games, Dwyer was the team's second-leading rusher with 16 carries for 51 yards and a touchdown.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
this is what happens when you get paid to hit people.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
^^^My guess is it has more to do with the way they were raised.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
this is what happens when you get paid to hit people.
Hockey players hit just as much as football players. Not really a problem there regarding spousal/GF/child abuse.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Team Owner

Upbringing, social status, mental health, alcohol usage. The usual suspects
Old 09-18-2014, 10:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Anyone blaming video games?
Old 09-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Team Owner

That changes spots daily with rap/heavy metal music.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Upbringing, social status, mental health, alcohol usage. The usual suspects

Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM
nnInn

Originally Posted by black label
Little bit of a chain of events thing.

You quoted doom who mentioned flip flopping 2x this month. I quoted you still referring to how RR and AP have been treated by the law.

Is a grand jury required in the state AP is being prosecuted? If not, do you think your case would be heard in front of a grand jury if you did the same thing with the same evidence and not being a pro football player?
Yes, you are right about what states require them. In Virginia, all felony case go to a GJ. So that's what I went by.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by oo7spy

Ban jerseys.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Meanwhile, Welker is serving a 4 game suspension for amphetamines he didn't knowingly take. Makes sense.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

^ He looks tweaked right there...
#1 STUNNA (09-21-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

how do you not know you are taking adderall.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2014 Season News and Discussion Thread