Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NFL: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
NFL: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread

Free-agency opens up in about a week...post news and discussions in here, folks!

<---- Hoping Chicago signs an entire O-line.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Eagles release Westbrook....

PHILADELPHIA -- Brian Westbrook could break open a game from almost anywhere on the field.

Lined up in the slot, he could run a slant, beat a linebacker and take off with no one able to catch No. 36. His defining moment with the Philadelphia Eagles came on an 84-yard punt return that stunned the New York Giants in 2003.

Out of the backfield, he was a 1,000-yard rusher who always kept defenses guessing -- and flailing.

Brian Westbrook accounted for nearly 37 percent of the Eagles' total offense in 2007. But in each of the past two seasons, Westbrook's part of the Eagles' offensive attack was diminished.
Season Yds from scrimmage Pct of offense
2006 1,916 31.4
2007 2,104 36.7
2008 1,338 23.9
2009 455 7.9

But in his later years, it was injuries that defined Westbrook more than his dynamic offensive skills. His age, salary and lengthy list of beaten body parts led the Eagles to release him Tuesday and save the team $7.5 million due next year.

"I think we all know that Brian is one of the all-time great Philadelphia Eagles," coach Andy Reid said. "For what we've done here over the years, Brian has been just a huge part of building this program to the level that we're at now. My heart will always be a Brian Westbrook fan as we go forward here."

A former All-Pro, the 5-foot-10 Westbrook led the league in yards from scrimmage in 2007 with 2,104. He rushed for 1,333 yards and accounted for 12 touchdowns that season.

But he spent much of last season on the sidelines, missing eight games with a pair of concussions and an ankle injury. Westbrook had only two touchdowns in 2009.

Reid said he called Westbrook with the news Tuesday morning. Reid said Westbrook should still have an opportunity to play for another team. Reid said he thinks Westbrook still wants to play.

"I don't know that for a fact, but I think he might want to do that," Reid said.

LeSean McCoy, who rushed for 637 yards with four touchdowns in 16 games as a rookie, will become Philadelphia's No. 1 running back.

"That's who's going to take the ball from here," Reid said.

Westbrook's season went south on Oct. 26 when his helmet collided with Washington linebacker London Fletcher's right knee and he suffered a concussion. Westbrook missed the last five games after suffering his second concussion in three weeks against San Diego on Nov. 15. He was cleared to return for the postseason.

He has rushed for 5,995 yards in eight seasons in Philadelphia and caught 426 passes for 3,790 yards. The 30-year-old Westbrook has scored 68 touchdowns rushing, receiving and on punt returns.

"He had no weaknesses," Reid said. "There wasn't any one thing that you could pick out that he was not good at; he was brilliant. There are just certain guys that are just football smart and he was one of those guys."

Westbrook, a third-round pick out of Villanova in the 2002 draft, is Philadelphia's career leader in yards from scrimmage (9,785). He also ranks second in yards rushing (5,995) behind Wilbert Montgomery and third in receptions (426) behind Harold Carmichael and Pete Retzlaff.

He is third in team history behind Carmichael and Steve Van Buren in touchdowns and holds the franchise single-season record for most scrimmage yards in a season (2,104 in 2007) and most receptions in a season (90 in 2007).

He eclipsed the 100-yard rushing mark 20 times (including playoffs) during his career, tying for second-most in club history.

"Brian Westbrook is one of the most electrifying players in the history of this franchise and is certainly also one of the most popular," Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie said. "He was personally one of the my favorite players to watch each and every Sunday, and his playmaking abilities, leadership and values will be missed."

Westbrook is the second high-profile running back to be released in two days following LaDainian Tomlinson being shown the door by the San Diego Chargers. Both Westbrook and Tomlinson turned 30 last summer and have been sidelined by injuries that kept them from performing at the level they displayed in their primes.

Westbrook's signature moment came in 2003. The Eagles appeared headed to a 2-4 start on Oct. 19, when they trailed 10-7 late in the fourth quarter against the Giants. But Westbrook returned a punt 84 yards for the winning score with 1:16 left in one of the more memorable plays of the Reid era.

He never played 16 games because of a variety of injuries to his knees, ankles, ribs and triceps. He practiced sparingly, if at all, in his final seasons.

If Westbrook fails to sign with another team, Reid would welcome him back to the organization in an unspecified role.

"He, to me, is a Philadelphia Eagle and he's the kind of people that you want in your organization," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4939019

Who's going to pick him up? I think he would be a good fit in Seattle.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:00 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
LT is also let go from the Chargers. they say too much money for not enough production. (STUPID)

wonder where he'll go (if he hasnt already)

havent kept up with the story since i read it a few days ago.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockstar21
LT is also let go from the Chargers. they say too much money for not enough production. (STUPID)

wonder where he'll go (if he hasnt already)

havent kept up with the story since i read it a few days ago.
He was a good RB, great at times, but when it was time for him to be "The Man" he was sitting on the bench hurt for like three years in a row. He's not the back he was and it is about the money.

So far he hasn't gone anywhere, he has stated that he'll only go to a team that has a chance for the SB, sounds like his days are over. Those that have a good chance, don't need him, unless he's willing to play for a lot less $$$.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
He was a good RB, great at times, but when it was time for him to be "The Man" he was sitting on the bench hurt for like three years in a row. He's not the back he was and it is about the money.

So far he hasn't gone anywhere, he has stated that he'll only go to a team that has a chance for the SB, sounds like his days are over. Those that have a good chance, don't need him, unless he's willing to play for a lot less $$$.
sand diego hasnt exactly has the best record in the near past for letting go of "hurt players that cant perform like they used to"

"cough drew brees cough"

maybe we could take him and give him a ring
Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 PM
boost 3G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think he might end up in a place like KC..or buffalo with mike vick
Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
nnInn

sand diego hasnt exactly has the best record in the near past for letting go of "hurt players that cant perform like they used to"

"cough drew brees cough"

maybe we could take him and give him a ring
LT is not hurt, he has hit a wall, doesn't seem to be much left in his tank. Watching him in games this year, it seemed like he wasn't even trying, just like Portis, who needs to be let go as well.

Brees, on a the biggest mistake SD has done. But I don't think he would have won a SB in SD. He needed Payton to do so.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
The Dumb One

LT is not hurt, he has hit a wall, doesn't seem to be much left in his tank. Watching him in games this year, it seemed like he wasn't even trying, just like Portis, who needs to be let go as well.

Brees, on a the biggest mistake SD has done. But I don't think he would have won a SB in SD. He needed Payton to do so.
i've heard the same from charger fans.. but he has been plagued with that MCL injury he aquired.. it takes FOREVER to recover from that. he's just not at the age yet where im convinced he's done.

brees may have not won a superbowl in san diego, but would have been much more of a force then rivers has been.

and a side note on payton.. hes an unreal coach, dont get me wrong... but many of the clinch decisions that are made on the field.. are actually made by brees himself. payton just has that much confidence in him.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM
nnInn

I heard about Brees as well, mainly thinking about the way Payton has put the team together.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
i can see the eagles might pick up LT and it'll be nice if the colts pick up westbrooke/LT.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:59 PM

I doubt the Eagles will pick up LT. He's too expensive. They got rid of Westbrook partly because he was expensive and the MUCH cheaper McCoy can do just as much.

I can maybe see the Colts picking him up, depending on how much time Addai has left. The teams that really need an RB, LT won't want to play for. I also don't see him doing well on a cold weather, either. It will be interesting to see who tries to make deals with him.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
I doubt the Eagles will pick up LT. He's too expensive. They got rid of Westbrook partly because he was expensive and the MUCH cheaper McCoy can do just as much.

I can maybe see the Colts picking him up, depending on how much time Addai has left. The teams that really need an RB, LT won't want to play for. I also don't see him doing well on a cold weather, either. It will be interesting to see who tries to make deals with him.
addai is young yet..

im betting he will be around for many more years to come and go down as one of those tough runners throughout his carreer. maybe no HOF material.. but def. easily remembered...
Old 02-24-2010, 03:03 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hopefully my Rams will draft Suh first and begin to turn things around by drafting a QB w/ their 2nd pick and grooming him this season, for 2011.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Wonder where Peppers will go? Philly or Pats? I don't see the Pats shelling out 13 mil or whatever Peppers thinks he's going to command (definitely not 20 mil that franchise tag would have netted him LOL). I think he still has some good years ahead terrorizing offenses.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM
The Dumb One

apparently my joking has some truth to it

Brees wants LT..'

personally i dont think we have ANY room for another RB.. we have 3 productive ones..

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-bl.../?cxntlid=sldr

A Falcons’ nightmare: Tomlinson to the Saints?
The great thing about an athlete having a Twitter account is it’s like having him sit next to you in a bar. Maybe he’s drunk. Maybe he isn’t. But either way, there’s a pretty good chance that at some point he’s going to say something that hasn’t passed through the usual filter that sanitizes thoughts before they reach the public.

Like this: “I would love to get L.T. in the black and gold.”

That was a message New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees sent out on his Twitter page. The L.T. stands for LaDainian Tomlinson, his former San Diego teammate who was released by the Chargers.

Brees then sent a followup Tweet, saying: “OK, due to popular demand, I am asking the question….who thinks LT should be a Saint?”

Now, personally, I think this would be a great move by the Saints. Tomlinson isn’t an every down back any more but he’s still one of the top running backs in the NFL. Putting him in that offense would be, like, sick, especially given his motivation level will be at an all-time high next season.

And if I’m Falcons coach Mike Smith, my first thought would be: “Oy.”

But Brees’ comment, even if it was delivered as a friend of L.T.’s, could not have gone over well with: 1) Pierre Thomas; 2) Reggie Bush; 3) Mike Bell. Those are the current Saints running backs. The reason NFL teams always have PR lieutenants standing next to media members during interviews now is to monitor stuff like this and remind players to watch what they’re saying.

If Kim Kardashian Tweets something on Reggie’s behalf, I’ll let you know. But the last thing I saw from her was: “Leggings killed velour sweat suits.”

It wouldn’t shock me if L.T. ends up with the Saints. Thomas and Bell are restricted free agents. There’s a chance the team signs both, but certainly Thomas isn’t going anywhere. He led the Saints in rushing and is a favorite of coach Sean Payton. The wild card here is Bush. He’s scheduled to make $8 million next season, and New Orleans can sign Tomlinson for a lot less.

After he was dumped by San Diego, Tomlinson told SI.com his primary goal “is to try to win a championship.” Could there be a better place than the defending Super Bowl champions, who also happen to have the league’s top offense and play indoors?

So Falcons’ fans: How would you feel about having to face Brees and Tomlinson twice a year in the NFC South?
Old 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Wonder where Peppers will go? Philly or Pats? I don't see the Pats shelling out 13 mil or whatever Peppers thinks he's going to command (definitely not 20 mil that franchise tag would have netted him LOL). I think he still has some good years ahead terrorizing offenses.
They gave up Seymore to Oakland before having to pay him $$$$$
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,309 Likes on 962 Posts
Lots of holes on my Fish. I wonder what they'll do with New York and New England ahead of us.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

They gave up Seymore to Oakland before having to pay him $$$$$
Werd and they prolly won't ante up for Moss in 2011
Old 02-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Oooh if the Cowboys added him our D would be the bombizzle.

Unfortunately, our problem is not pass rushing LOL.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:37 PM

We could use Peppers up in GB. Although, I doubt he would be interested in playing a 3-4.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Lots of holes on my Fish. I wonder what they'll do with New York and New England ahead of us.
I'll see the holes on your fish and raise you Da Bears...
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Let's see...Chicago needs an entire new O-line. New D-line would be great too since the Smith stubborn wants to play the Tampa Cover 2...which, is dependent on a good pass-rush. Oops, Chicago has none.

Let's see. We also need a blocking TE and not one that pretends to (please see Greg Olsen).

Ah...so much to look forward to. Thank goodness I have the respective annual playoff demises of both Green Bay and Minny to look forward to as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
The Dumb One

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Let's see...Chicago needs an entire new O-line. New D-line would be great too since the Smith stubborn wants to play the Tampa Cover 2...which, is dependent on a good pass-rush. Oops, Chicago has none.

Let's see. We also need a blocking TE and not one that pretends to (please see Greg Olsen).

Ah...so much to look forward to. Thank goodness I have the respective annual playoff demises of both Green Bay and Minny to look forward to as well.
eff that.. da bears needa make it... we owe you one from 06'
Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

I hope the CBA gets done. Lots of nice potential free agents that would be restricted if no CBA.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Players salaries should be based on performance. Period. You don't show up, you lose pay.

Unions FTL. They players are going to strike if they don't get more guaranteed money for standing on the sideline.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

eff that.. da bears needa make it... we owe you one from 06'
Blame Sir Jukealot for pissing off the entire Bears D when he taunted Urlacher...

I call that the turning point of the game...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Players salaries should be based on performance. Period. You don't show up, you lose pay.

Unions FTL. They players are going to strike if they don't get more guaranteed money for standing on the sideline.
It hurts the leagues argument that less successful sports in MLB and NBA have fully guaranteed contracts. It's ridiculous how in the NBA, players get paid an obscene settlement amount, then sign with a team for the minimum and still get paid. This happens often in trades where a player might go back to his old team.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 AM
boost 3G

Originally Posted by princelybug
Hopefully my Rams will draft Suh first and begin to turn things around by drafting a QB w/ their 2nd pick and grooming him this season, for 2011.
ive been hearing something a bit different lately...with a bulked up Bradford its looking like he might go first pick and Suh will prob. go 2nd
Old 02-28-2010, 10:36 AM
The Dumb One

Blame Sir Jukealot for pissing off the entire Bears D when he taunted Urlacher...

I call that the turning point of the game...
agreed, and may i suggest above sub-zero weather this time. preferably turf
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
Ocho Cinco is training hard...er...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6rbd...layer_embedded
Old 03-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Hard to tell that he likes attention.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Rollin in a

word on the street is that Antonio Cromartie jus signed with the Jets
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Wow, I just found out that the Chargers traded Cromartie. Hasn't been the same since his hip injury.... the best season he had was the same one where he picked off Peyton Manning 3 times though

and LT's hit a wall. His durability has taken a dump, and he just doesn't have the explosiveness and the moves he had 3 seasons ago. He'd be a great goal line specialist (since that was all the points he got me in FF) but he's no longer the explosive back he used to be.

It's not the age factor so much as its a carries factor. Make one guy bear the load, 300+ carries year after year after year after year and he'll get worn down by the time he's 30. If he gets used in an even split, multiple back-backfield or gets a few years off (Thomas Jones, Ricky Williams) he'll still excel into his 30s. LT has had neither
Old 03-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Team Owner

Peppers to the Bears. Delhomme cut.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Speaking of which it seems like Jake Delhomme fallen a long way. It was almost saddening to watch him in the post-game interviews. Yeah, he's far from Peyton Manning but he's always been an above average QB, but his numbers this season would be what you expect from a 3rd string, late-round draft pick rookie who gets unexpectedly thrust into the starting lineup.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doom878
Peppers to the Bears. Delhomme cut.
Peppers is visiting Da Bears...not signing. Just to be clear on that one.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Bears Sign Manumaleuna

Story here: http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...numaleuna.html

Good...someone who can block...
Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Revis and Cromartie.....that's going to be a tough pass D.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Rollin in a

Revis and Cromartie.....that's going to be a tough pass D.
85% of the world is covered by water, the rest is covered by Darrelle Revis
Old 03-05-2010, 12:23 PM
nnInn

Peppers is visiting Da Bears...not signing. Just to be clear on that one.
They won't let him leave w/o signing.

Quick Reply: NFL: 2010 Off-Season and Draft Discussion Thread