Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA Discussion Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 12:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Arrow NBA Discussion Thread

LeBron James won't have to go far to play in the NBA.

The Cavaliers scored perhaps the biggest victory in franchise history Thursday night, winning the lottery and the right to select James, the 18-year-old high school phenom from nearby Akron.

"We don't know who we are going to pick,'' Cavaliers owner Gordon Gund quipped. He later held up a Cleveland jersey with James' name embroidered on the back and his No. 23.

"I'm very excited for the fans of Cleveland,'' said Gund, who smiled broadly after NBA deputy commissioner Russ Granik announced that the Cavs had won the James sweepstakes. "This is a great day for them and for all of that market, for Akron, for Cleveland, all of northeastern Ohio. I'm tremendously excited about it. It's a big day in Cleveland sports.''

The Memphis Grizzlies got the second selection for the June 26 draft, but that pick goes to the Detroit Pistons. The Denver Nuggets will pick third.

James is considered by most experts the kind of rare player who can turn around the fortunes of a franchise.

"I'm staying in Cleveland, and I'm real excited,'' James said at a news conference, wearing a Nike headband and warm-up suit and surrounded by his St. Vincent-St. Mary High School teammates.

The 6-foot-8 swingman, who just signed an endorsement contract with Nike worth more than $90 million and another deal with Upper Deck trading cards for an undisclosed amount of money, averaged 30.4 points, 9.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 2.9 steals as a senior.

James will try to lead the Cavaliers to the play-offs for the first time since 1997-98, and he's bound to be a big box-office attraction for a team that tied Denver for the worst record in the league this past season at 17-65.

James didn't want to make any predictions about what he'll be able to do for the Cavs.

"I'm not going to guarantee a championship,'' James said. "But I will guarantee we'll get better every day. We're going to be a lot better than we were last year.''

It was the first time since 1990 that the team with the worst record -- in this case a tie for the worst record -- won the lottery. New Jersey was the last team, selecting Derrick Coleman with the first pick.

Cavaliers general Jim Paxson said his heart was pounding as he sat on a couch at home with his wife watching the lottery.

"I just couldn't believe it when it came up Memphis and knew we had the number one pick,'' said Paxson, who still has to find a coach.

Gund said that either Jeff Van Gundy or recently fired New Orleans coach Paul Silas are the leading contenders.

Paxson said one of the hardest decision for the new coach would be where to play James.

"I think he's a very versatile player and has the ball-handling ability to be a point guard,'' Paxson said.

While the Cavaliers won the lottery, the Pistons had to be smiling after winding up with the second overall pick. Detroit, which posted the best record in the Eastern Conference, had the rights to Memphis' first-round pick because of a trade for Otis Thorpe in 1997. The Grizzlies would have been allowed to keep the pick if it had been number one.

When the pick was announced, Jerry West, the Grizzlies' president of basketball operations, seemed to sink a little.

"It would have been like Christmas,'' West said. "But it's like Christmas and Thanksgiving for them.''

Denver, which like Cleveland had 225 chances out of 1,000, slipped to number three in the draft order, despite having the same record as the Cavs.

"Regardless, we're going to get a great player no matter what,'' Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke said.

Toronto got the fourth pick, and it was followed by Miami, the Los Angeles Clippers, Chicago, Milwaukee, the Knicks, Washington, Golden State, Seattle and Memphis.

Milwaukee, which made the play-offs, got Atlanta's pick at number eight because of the trade that sent Glenn Robinson to Atlanta last August. The Hawks would have kept the pick had they received one of the top three. Memphis got the 13th pick as part of a trade that sent Steve Francis to Houston in 1999.

For all the teams that didn't get the top pick, the good news is that this is one deepest drafts in years.

Carmelo Anthony, who led Syracuse to the national championship this season as a freshman, and Darko Milicic, a left-handed 7-footer from Serbia who turns 18 on June 20, are considered the next-best players available.

Speaking at half-time of Game Three of the Nets-Pistons Eastern Conference finals, Anthony joked that he knew the Cavs would get the number-one pick: "I think they rigged it; don't quote me on that, though,'' Anthony said.

Toronto Raptors superstar Vince Carter said James will face immense pressure as an NBA rookie.

"Everybody is just speculating on what he could do when he steps on the court, not what he is doing when he is out there,'' Carter said. "He's stepping into another level. I think he is going to be a great player. I think everybody thinks it, but I think that's what this is all about, his potential.''

This is the first time the Cleveland has had the first pick in the draft since 1986, when it took Brad Daugherty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ery_result_ap/
Old 05-23-2003, 12:02 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looks like LeBron James is going to the Cleveland Cavs

Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P
...averaged 30.4 points, 9.7 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 2.9 steals as a senior.

James will try to lead the Cavaliers to the play-offs for the first time since 1997-98, and he's bound to be a big box-office attraction for a team that tied Denver for the worst record in the league this past season at 17-65.

"I'm not going to guarantee a championship,'' James said. "But I will guarantee we'll get better every day. We're going to be a lot better than we were last year.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ery_result_ap/
What a cocky sumbitch...so basically he's saying that the Cavs...professional nba players... of last season is a joke and now that he's joining them they will be better. Those numbers he averaged in HS will not be the same in the nba.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:53 PM
My Avator

you know what though, it was the pistons that came out the best this year. they trade otis thorpe in 97 and get the grizzlies #2 pick.
Old 05-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Movin on up...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Cav's should take Darko milicic!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:05 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
Cav's should take Darko milicic!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
Uh huh.....we'll see in a few years.
Old 05-23-2003, 02:16 PM
///M POWER

pistons get #2!!! but we are down 0-3 in the series
Old 05-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Racer

TypeS boi James isnt a cocky son of a bitch he is jus freaking good i dont see ur ass going to the NBA so dont go hating man
Old 05-23-2003, 03:56 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

You dumb sumbitch...did I say I played ball? Read the fukin post you a-hole. And do you know James Lebron like that? Are you on his nuts or something? Go sit in the corner and think about it man.
Old 05-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

relax y'all......Lebron will make the team better, but it may not be this year or the next. It's good that he has the confidence though - 50% is attitude that you're gonna be the best.

the only thing i'm intersted in is if gilbert arenas is really gonna bolt - don't really care about the draft.
Old 05-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Racer

call me a sumbitch again you little pussy, of course i dont know lebron james you freakin idiot dont go and put words in my mouth all im sayin is dont go call nobody a sumbtich when u dont know a damn thing about um you dumb sh*t keep your mouth shut about bball dont say another word about it.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

Get the fuk outta here you noob troll. Your ass should have read a damn post before you opened your mouth. And give me a reason why I can't call anyone a sumbitch you sumbitch? I can picture you right now feeling like a dumbshit in front of your computer. Somebody lock this thread before this guy starts crying.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Come on guys, we all know what 1killercls says about this:

Old 05-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 05-23-2003, 09:06 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Before everybody starts dressing LeBron in Wine and Gold, you better consider that the Cavs have only this year gotten out of their financial obligation to Mike Fratello when he was dismissed some 4 years ago. Randy Wittman probably still has a year of salary coming to him for when he was fired, but I'm not too sure of this fact ... however, I'm fairly certain that John Lucas has a year or two of salary coming to him (if not more) since he was terminated during the January West Coast swing. And, you think their gonna get Van Gundy or Paul Silas for peanuts??? The biggest problem with the Cavs is that fucking idiot GM they have by the name of Jim Paxon. You think they dumped Andre Miller, Wes Person, Lamond Murray and the rest of the starters from last years team because they didn't want them on the team? They were partially dumped in order for Paxton to be able to pay off the fired managers who are still entitled to salary after being released! Cleveland has more money tied up in ex-managers than in regular players!!!! As a diehard Cleveland 'anyteam' fan, I'd like to see LeBron end up at the Gund as much as anybody, but I'm not going to be surprised if they can't/don't meet his price, and they draft somebody else #1. It's really unfortunate Gordon is blind, because he can't see that Paxton is fucking him blind!!!!!
Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the GM will just go more in debt to get LeBron...he's already been in debt so it doesn't seem like it bothers him much but...they can also get 2 solid players for him...
Old 05-23-2003, 09:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Plus Lebron is pretty much set on playing in Cleveland because of how close it is to Akron...but it's a business world, he may end up packing...
Old 05-23-2003, 10:23 PM
CL-S retired 10.17.06

GM is betting Lebron will sell out seats so he could care less about being in debt...but yea, depends if Lebron gets a good deal if he stays in Cleveland...we'll see...
Old 05-24-2003, 09:10 AM
go like hell

good Cleveland might finally have a decent team. the thing you need to realize why he's cocky is he's in High School and he has close 100 million dollars. Pro Scouts have been looking at him since his Jr year. he's gonna be the next big NBA player I think.

here's a local story about him I heard.
His High school team went to State finals(which is held at the Scottistein Center(OSU basketball complex) in Columbus) anyhow him and his buds took his Hummer H2 down to Columbus there was nowhere close to park so they PARK ON THE GRASS RIGHT BY THE DOOR (I've been there and you have to drive a good 300 ft probably closer to 500 ft in grass before your even close to the door).
cops never gave him a ticket for parking on the lawn for it BUT he drove the new Hummer 3 MONTHS on 30 day tags and he got a ticket for that. but hell a maybe 100 dollar ticket to his 90 million dollar deal he signed with nike is like piss in a bucket
Old 05-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
Before everybody starts dressing LeBron in Wine and Gold, you better consider that the Cavs have only this year gotten out of their financial obligation to Mike Fratello when he was dismissed some 4 years ago. Randy Wittman probably still has a year of salary coming to him for when he was fired, but I'm not too sure of this fact ... however, I'm fairly certain that John Lucas has a year or two of salary coming to him (if not more) since he was terminated during the January West Coast swing. And, you think their gonna get Van Gundy or Paul Silas for peanuts??? The biggest problem with the Cavs is that fucking idiot GM they have by the name of Jim Paxon. You think they dumped Andre Miller, Wes Person, Lamond Murray and the rest of the starters from last years team because they didn't want them on the team? They were partially dumped in order for Paxton to be able to pay off the fired managers who are still entitled to salary after being released! Cleveland has more money tied up in ex-managers than in regular players!!!! As a diehard Cleveland 'anyteam' fan, I'd like to see LeBron end up at the Gund as much as anybody, but I'm not going to be surprised if they can't/don't meet his price, and they draft somebody else #1. It's really unfortunate Gordon is blind, because he can't see that Paxton is fucking him blind!!!!!
His price is set. According to league rules, his salary will be 12-something million for 3 years, with a team-held option for a 4th year. Rookie contracts are set, and there really is no negotiating involved. Unless, he expects the Cadavers to pay for his hos, too.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:33 AM
Masshole

BTW, this was about as fixed as '85, when the Knicks got Ewing. The NBA is so unoriginal. The Cavs dumped everyone, so they could finish with a horrible record, and have the best "chance" of "winning" the lottery. Oh, well...I'll watch his first few games to see if he actually can play against men or if he looks like a lost little boy out there.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:12 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
your right about the salary ... saw an article at ESPN.com and they had reported the fixed salary to be $12.96 Million for 3 yrs with the option ... $ figure hasn't advanced that much since your '85 date.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:30 PM
Banned

if i was James, i'd take my 90million from nike..and well....retire. i'd be 18yrs old, set for life, never have to work, screw the whole basketball thing, go out , buy bentleys, sleep all day, mess with the baddest chicks, and be the first guy to retire before ever playing lol
Old 05-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Banned

if i was James, i'd take my 90million from nike..and well....retire. i'd be 18yrs old, set for life, never have to work, screw the whole basketball thing, go out , buy bentleys, sleep all day, mess with the baddest chicks, and be the first guy to retire before ever playing lol
Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Arrow The Official NBA Discussion Thread...

There's already been a few moves so far like Hughes signing to be Lebron's sidekick and Ilgaukas staying put; Redd staying with the Bucks; and Allen doing the same with Seattle...

Just a few more tidbits: Kwame Brown traded to Kobe's team for Butler and Atkins...Is it just me or are the Lakers getting hosed? (Then again, I don't like Brown too much...bias perhaps )

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Senior Moderator

And in other news, Eddy Curry may be mulling Atlanta as his new digs...
Old 07-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Keeping emos out of

Kwame thought he had it rough in Washington with Gilbert Arenas and Larry Hughes hogging the ball, wait until he get a chance to play with the ultimate hog
Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Banned

Im just waiting for the NBA season to start so that Baron can help warriors get in the playoffs....
Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Keeping emos out of

Great patience, you must have
Old 07-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by goose25
Great patience, you must have
?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Butler and Atkins/George for Kwame Brown isn't too bad.

As much of a bust as Kwame's been so far, I've seen him have great games and he always shows flashes. So it's obviously in him. Maybe he needs a change of scenery, new teammates, and a new system. Here's hoping.

Lakers are one more move away from winning 48 games and being a 6th seed.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
How about q richardson + nate robinson to the knicks for kurt thomas and dijon thompson. I think the Suns got screwed. Yeah they need some size to beat the spurs, but Thomas at 6'9" 235 isn't gonna cut it, and Richardson has some serious potential if he can just get rid of the streakiness.

and wtf kind of name is "Dijon"
Old 07-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by moomaster_99
?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:52 PM
CL smashin

Im just waiting for the NBA season to start so that Baron can help warriors get in the playoffs....
Same here, at least the 8th spot!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Keeping emos out of

Hell freezes over and in other news, the Golden State Warriors make the NBA playoffs
Old 07-14-2005, 10:31 PM
We dont love these hoes

If you didnt pay attention, the last month or so the warriors played some damn good ball, they might be that team that all of a sudden is really good, like seattle last year.
anybody seen that gearld green dunk freakin amazing! anybody else sick of this larry brown bullshit!?

http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/green_dunk_320.mpg

nuts!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 PM
My Work is Done Here

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
directly linking files is against the law??? who knew?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Moderator

And Cuttino Mobley just got signed to the NBA blackhole team: Clippers...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html
Old 07-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Missing My CL-S

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Knicks got a center, Jerome James

Quick Reply: NBA Discussion Thread