Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

NBA: 2013-14 Season News and Discussion Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,916 Likes on 14,037 Posts
Do not want Melo.

And I'd give up all my robots if he buys into Thibs' defensive commitment...there's no way.

I was asking about Chicago's draft picks...One of them belongs to Charlotte which could be a nice one but is it lotto-protected?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by asianspec
funny you say about d-wade, because i was trying to workout a trade for D-wade and wesley Matthews, for chandler parsons and steve blake. But in the end, it wasn't a good decision move to get D-wade since you don't know which games hes going to play. Although i really like Matthews.
good decision. Blake is honestly the best point guard on the Lakers right now, even if Nash were healthy....and this makes me sad.

Blake throws tons of lobs during games.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon
D.Wade when healthy is solid...

But D.Wade is like my old 2002 Acura TL-S. Solid when he's healthy... but his injuries (mainly knees) are like my TL-S' transmission... it can crap out and leave you stranded for days.

I agree, i like him as a player since he's a great ambassador to represent the Heat, but as a fantasy aspect. i couldn't draft him.

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Do not want Melo.

And I'd give up all my robots if he buys into Thibs' defensive commitment...there's no way.

I was asking about Chicago's draft picks...One of them belongs to Charlotte which could be a nice one but is it lotto-protected?
I don't really like Bill Simmons and i think he was really butt hurt since he's a Celtics fan, thus why he didn't give the Heat #1 ranking but watch this. i actually think this might work.

Last edited by asianspec; 11-25-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
good decision. Blake is honestly the best point guard on the Lakers right now, even if Nash were healthy....and this makes me sad.

Blake throws tons of lobs during games.
I am loving the assist that Blake is throwing up. probably the best FA pickup i had this year. (Lets see because i just picked up James Anderson), but with Kobe in the mix that will just get better.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:28 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Do not want Melo.

I dislike Melo too, but he's still a large upgrade over anyone not named D.Rose (and maybe Jimmy Butler) on the Bulls.

The thing is, the Bulls biggest problem is that no one other than D.Rose can create shots - literally the game plan for all their opponents this year is to slow down (and double) Rose and have the other guys beat you.

With Melo + Rose you force the defense to play honest and make tough decisions.

Not sure about Charlotte's lottery pick, will have to look into it... but it if its protected...
Old 11-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

I dislike Melo too, but he's still a large upgrade over anyone not named D.Rose (and maybe Jimmy Butler) on the Bulls.

The thing is, the Bulls biggest problem is that no one other than D.Rose can create shots - literally the game plan for all their opponents this year is to slow down (and double) Rose and have the other guys beat you.

With Melo + Rose you force the defense to play honest and make tough decisions.

Not sure about Charlotte's lottery pick, will have to look into it... but it if its protected...
Problem with ME-Lo is strictly that...it's all about me-me-me with him. He'll put up ten bazillion shots and loaf if he's not given the ball. His presence has essentially nerfed Amare on the Knicks.

For all their "star" power...they SHOULD be 1B to the LeHeat's 1A. But, nope. Why is LeBron such a beast? He's obviously sick on offense but it's his D that is insanity too. Remember when the Bulls took on the LeHeat 2 years ago? It was OVER when LeBron started to guard D-Rose.

ME-Lo guarding anyone? Pffft...that player will have enough game points to make Dominique Wilkins jealous.

So, I'll have to respectfully disagree there. ME-Lo is not the answer. When is Durant an UFA?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Melo is the modern day Allen Iverson, but taller.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

@ Yummy and @ Asianspec.

Nothing to disagree about because I completely understand your guys' logic. I am a well recognized "Melo hater" amongst my friends - I hate the so called "Super Stars" who play only offense, like Melo and this season James Harden.

Real super stars play both ways, a la Lebron and Paul George.

I just want Rose to atleast have a legitimate second option to draw double teams.

Maybe when Durant becomes a UFA in 2016....
Old 11-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

In 2016, D-Rose is playing in a wheelchair.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ And LeBron will (likely) have his 6th ring....
Old 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Senior Moderator

@ Yummy and @ Asianspec.

Nothing to disagree about because I completely understand your guys' logic. I am a well recognized "Melo hater" amongst my friends - I hate the so called "Super Stars" who play only offense, like Melo and this season James Harden.

Real super stars play both ways, a la Lebron and Paul George.

I just want Rose to atleast have a legitimate second option to draw double teams.

Maybe when Durant becomes a UFA in 2016....
Jalen rose suspects that Durant and Westbrook are still bitter about the Harden trade and will part ways. Durant to Houston and Westbrook to the Lakers.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Melo is the modern day Allen Iverson, but taller.
I still think Iverson is a better player then Melo, and atleast he took his team to the finals.
The following users liked this post:
clpassenubye (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:50 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Bulls haven't used their amnesty but should on Boozer and its very unlikely they will resign Deng. I highly doubt Thibs is the kind of coach that would tank (even if directed to by upper management ) to get a high draft pick especially since there are no guarantees.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Just saw on the news. Kobe sign a 2 year deal with the lakers, i guess when the contract ends his career ends ???
Old 11-25-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Jalen rose suspects that Durant and Westbrook are still bitter about the Harden trade and will part ways. Durant to Houston and Westbrook to the Lakers.
Westbrook to the Lakers would be a GOD SEND... because let me tell you, paying Kobe another 50 million for another two years makes me worried about this Jimmy Bus run lakers organization...

Originally Posted by MySoCalLife
I still think Iverson is a better player then Melo, and atleast he took his team to the finals.
I agree. But I will give Melo the nod in the money management department.

Originally Posted by clpassenubye
Bulls haven't used their amnesty but should on Boozer and its very unlikely they will resign Deng. I highly doubt Thibs is the kind of coach that would tank (even if directed to by upper management ) to get a high draft pick especially since there are no guarantees.
Yeah I don't think Thibs is like that either. Thing is, I could see Thibs walking away after this year. I think its widely understood that he's not going to stick around on a rebuilding team.

But for this years draft, any pick in the top 5-8 is potentially gold mine - top 3 is guaranteed NBA starter material. I'm against tanking as well, but I can see how throwing away this year might make sense for some teams.

Amnestying Boozer makes too much sense...
Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Westbrook to the Lakers would be a GOD SEND... because let me tell you, paying Kobe another 50 million for another two years makes me worried about this Jimmy Bus run lakers organization...

I agree. But I will give Melo the nod in the money management department.

Yeah I don't think Thibs is like that either. Thing is, I could see Thibs walking away after this year. I think its widely understood that he's not going to stick around on a rebuilding team.

But for this years draft, any pick in the top 5-8 is potentially gold mine - top 3 is guaranteed NBA starter material. I'm against tanking as well, but I can see how throwing away this year might make sense for some teams.

Amnestying Boozer makes too much sense...
having jimmy run the company, completely assures my "jerry's kids" factor. Jimmy will probably run the team to the ground. Lakers Board agrees to make Jeannie to run, Jimmy will sue for some BS. farfetched yes. but it makes sense.

As for Boozer, trade him while you can, just waiting for another papercut and he's out for several weeks.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

So, FML @ Bulls.

No easy fix.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

And how are the Knicks this horrid...? Seriously. WTF.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Some decent analysis on Chicago's plight: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...emergency-room

Yeah, trade Deng and amnesty Boozer. If the pick from Charlotte is a biggie, then Chicago may have a chance if Mirotic is as good as advertised. And if he plays next year.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ I don't know... those Euro guys can be good, but outside of Dirk none really dominate the NBA. Euro league to me seems like its basically in-between the NBA and the D-league in terms of skill.

Honestly... I don't know what the Bulls can do to turn it around.

And the Knicks are terrible because they literally have the dumbest owner on the planet.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

^^I think Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert is the dumbest but Dolan is in the running.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

^ I don't know... those Euro guys can be good, but outside of Dirk none really dominate the NBA. Euro league to me seems like its basically in-between the NBA and the D-league in terms of skill.

And the Knicks are terrible because they literally have the dumbest owner on the planet.
Well, if he's Kukoc #2...I'll be happy.

Just not a softie like Andrea Barneeognee.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

^^I think Cleveland owner Dan Gilbert is the dumbest but Dolan is in the running.
From what I understand, Sterling still takes the cake. He's not responsible for ANY of the current clippers.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:18 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

^^ Sterling is the smartest Dummy of the of the 3 if that makes any sense.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Safety Car

^^ya, because his staff has managed to finally shut him out of anything related to basketball.

Honestly, the dude is a bad boss, a weirdo, a slumlord, and a racist. And this is before we talk basketball decisions.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

^ CGE and CL. You guys make good points. Those are probably bottom of the barrel NBA owners.

I'm secretly praying that little Jimmy Bus doesn't join that club... oi...
Old 11-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Well Manu and Ricky rubio shouldn't be forgotten as well. But if Mirotic can just be a factor then it will be a big step, since they won't have Boozer next year anymore.

^ CGE and CL. You guys make good points. Those are probably bottom of the barrel NBA owners.

I'm secretly praying that little Jimmy Bus doesn't join that club... oi...
Unfortunately for laker fans, Buss will join unless he's letting Mitch take the helm, which i think should be the best thing for the Lakers. Kupcheck knows what to do and has been doing it for awhile now.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
It's okay guys. He only has 2 knees. He'll be fine from next season.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Zach Lowe managed to sum up my feelings on the early (and expensive) extension Kobe got.

http://http://www.grantland.com/blog...pling-contract

My buddies are saying I'm now being a Kobe hater.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:15 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Zach Lowe managed to sum up my feelings on the early (and expensive) extension Kobe got.

http://http://www.grantland.com/blog...pling-contract

My buddies are saying I'm now being a Kobe hater.
I couldn't pull up the link. Don't hate on Kobe for getting a big extension it's not like you can say he's not worth it this guy would walk thru fire to win a championship its hard to find players like that in any sport. When all is said and done he might be the 2nd all time leading scorer in the NBA along with all his other accomplishments (hopefully at least one more championship) if anyone is worth it at this point in his career its Kobe.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by JS + MS3
It's okay guys. He only has 2 knees. He'll be fine from next season.
I don't think Rose will ever get back to his former glory even though he's still young that just gives him more time to get injured. He's also building a bad reputation (real or perceived) for not pushing himself to comeback sooner and the next time he's a free agent (if he gets to that point) it will probably bite in him the butt because teams remember those kinds of things.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:23 PM
Safety Car

Everyone is blowing this Kobe contract out of proportion. The Lakers presented Kobe with a plan for the future and the salary...it wasn't a negotiation or Kobe forcing his way.

You have to remember or look into how Jerry Buss operated. He always paid his stars well and took care of them. I don't know why everyone is surprised, this is actually status quo for Laker stars.

Remember, everyone thought he was flat stupid for signing magic to a 25-year contract. He may have been, but he had Magic's loyalty to this day, even in his death. Contrast that with MJ and Pip (and Phil) and the way they left Chicago.

The salary cap situation is less of a concern. IMO, the environment has changed. While making a 3-headed monster is more difficult, the Lakers have learned this year that the players that were once overpaid under the old rules will come around for a bit cheaper due to the new rules.

Last edited by CarbonGray Earl; 11-25-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 PM
I shoot people

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,477 Posts
Kobe also sells tickets
The following users liked this post:
CarbonGray Earl (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

In every arena, not just staples. Someone was going to pay him, just for that fact.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 AM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Originally Posted by is300eater
Kobe also sells tickets
Don't forget he's a top seller in merchandise and ratings for fox sports Lakers channel and on and on.
The following 2 users liked this post by clpassenubye:
CarbonGray Earl (11-26-2013), is300eater (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Bulls...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:42 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Bulls...
Barring any other serious injuries they should make the playoffs the bar is pretty low in the Eastern Conference.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Barring any other serious injuries they should make the playoffs the bar is pretty low in the Eastern Conference.
Who cares. There is no easy fix. So, a middling team with no real Title shot in the foreseeable future.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Who cares. There is no easy fix. So, a middling team with no real Title shot in the foreseeable future.
Yeah your right but that's what fans do you gotta take the good with the bad.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah your right but that's what fans do you gotta take the good with the bad.
Don't mind me. I'm still reeling from D-Rose's latest injury. Waited all last year and even was ultimately alright with him taking the entire season and playoffs to come back...

So, after just a handful of games and with some sense of optimism this year...it's crushed. That's the beauty and ugly of being a sports fan I guess. Live and die with your team.

Quick Reply: NBA: 2013-14 Season News and Discussion Thread