Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MMA fights?

Old 04-28-2005 | 11:42 PM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

MMA fights?

What do you all think about mixed martial arts fights? My friend, who is very much into mma, keeps asking me to get into it, but he always gets black eyes, bruises all over his body and strained muscles after every match. My friend is considering fighting professionally and he feels I'd be good at it too because of my grappling skills and strength from powerlifting, but every time I see his marked up face, I get second thoughts. Grappling is one thing, but grappling and striking until one guy gets knocked out or taps out is a completely different story. Should I give mma a go or should I stick to my grappling only fights?
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:57 PM
Senior Moderator

doesn't sound like you're really into it.
Old 04-29-2005 | 12:03 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Originally Posted by Mike
doesn't sound like you're really into it.
I feel I have the skill to become very good at mixed martial arts, but getting this pretty faced bruised up would disappoint so many ladies.
Old 04-29-2005 | 12:35 AM

If your into grappling and want to compete you can see if there is something like this out your way ; http://www.freefightingillustrated.com/bow05temp.htm

I know it's not MMA, but then again there isn't any striking, unless someone gets out of hand.

I'm gonna compete in it next time.
Old 04-29-2005 | 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLD
My friend is considering fighting professionally
Yah...I hope he is thinking about the long term. I use to play football...My knees are gonna be fucked up when I get older.
Old 04-29-2005 | 01:37 AM
Safety Car

Is there the potential to make alot of money doing MMA? I know the guys that one the Ultimate Fighter reality show got 6 figure contracts, if you could make that kind of money I say go for it. Just don't risk bustin up your face for a few hundred bucks a fight
Old 04-29-2005 | 08:29 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Originally Posted by Shadzilla
Is there the potential to make alot of money doing MMA? I know the guys that one the Ultimate Fighter reality show got 6 figure contracts, if you could make that kind of money I say go for it. Just don't risk bustin up your face for a few hundred bucks a fight
The UFC's 6 figure deal is small time compared to what they pay in Japan's PRIDE fighting championship. You'd get a 7 figure deal with them.
Old 04-29-2005 | 09:14 AM
Fuct in the hed!

MMA is the only real sport left. 2 guys...similar training, smae weight.....only one person wins! Supposedly...MMA is safer then boxing. Boxers take continual shots to the head...when a MMA fighter gets hurt the fight stops....no 10 seconds to get back up.