Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

MLB: 2009 Playoffs and World Series Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 03:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Memo to the Dodgers: you need hits with men in scoring position to win games.

Phills = better team.

All east coast world series....Yanks win in 6
Old 10-22-2009, 03:33 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by e30cabrio
Complain I brought something up from years ago AFTER you do so?

I am now talking about this year. The Yankees ARE the best team in Baseball. They won more games THIS season than anyone.

The Mets won 70.

The Yankees sucked last year, they won 83 games. How does the 70 the Mets won compare?

You were 3 the last time the Mets won, the Yankees won in the last ten years, Mets not so much.
Are you really comparing how many games were won by each team in two different years, in two different leagues? What is the point of that?

Did I say the Yankees were bad? No, I said I hate them. I can tell this is going to go nowhere.

And they are not the best team in baseball unless they win the World series. Winning more games in a different league means nothing. They rarely play NL teams. If Philly beats them in the World series (if the Yankees get there), Philly is the best team in baseball.

By the way, I was 4.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Give me a f-ckin break. The Mets have had too many late season meltdowns in recent memory to count. Even when they are leading the NL East, they find ways to choke horribly down the stretch. Get rid of Willie Randolph, he's the culprit They suck ass even more without him as skipper.

And yes, the Mets suck big fat donkey d-ck.
They had 1 meltdown, in 2007. In 2008 they didn't choke, they lost the race. They had a 3 game lead with 17 left to play, that's nothing. It's not a collapse, that's what we call a pennant race. And they lost it to Philly, who wound up winning the world series.

Remember when the Yankees had a 3-0 lead on Boston in a 7 game ALCS? They blew it badly. Wow, was horrible. Probably the worst choke anyone has ever seen in the history of any sport.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,366 Posts
Talk crap after the Mets win 24 more World Series.

THE METS WON 70 GAMES THIS YEAR.

The Yankees are one win from the World Series.

Where are the Mets? HOME.

Talking about prior Yankee loses when your team was eliminated in June is really silly.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
They had 1 meltdown, in 2007. In 2008 they didn't choke, they lost the race. They had a 3 game lead with 17 left to play, that's nothing. It's not a collapse, that's what we call a pennant race. And they lost it to Philly, who wound up winning the world series.

Remember when the Yankees had a 3-0 lead on Boston in a 7 game ALCS? They blew it badly. Wow, was horrible. Probably the worst choke anyone has ever seen in the history of any sport.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:58 PM
My Garage

Talk crap after the Mets win 24 more World Series.

THE METS WON 70 GAMES THIS YEAR.

The Yankees are one win from the World Series.

Where are the Mets? HOME.

Talking about prior Yankee loses when your team was eliminated in June is really silly.
Yea, the most of the team was injured. We've covered this already. You know as well as I do that the Mets are not a 70 win team when healthy.

Maybe we will win 24 world series if you give us the extra 80 years the Yankees have had to win them. Those 1920's teams, guess what, there were no Mets then. You are exactly why I hate the Yankees and their fans. Your arguments are really illogical man.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,464 Likes on 4,982 Posts
Im enjoying this arguement because it is somewhat humorous, but Gibson, you have to get your facts straight.

The Yankees were established in 1913 (Im not counting the previous names, Baltimore Orioles 1901-02 and NY Highlanders 1903-12). The Mets were established in 1962. Thats 49 years. They won 19 of their 26 titles in those 49 years.

When you get down to it, the Yankees have still been a better team since 1962, even through the 80s and early 90s when they weren't good. They have 7 World Series titles since the Mets have come to fruition. The Mets have won 2.

Yes, I am a New Yorker. Yes, I was born a Yankee fan (of my own choice, my mother is an Oakland fan, and my father doesnt watch baseball). No, I do not hate the Mets. If the Yankees werent in the Post Season and the Mets were, hell yea Id be rooting for them. Its just like when the Giants played the Pats in the Superbowl. I am a Jets fan, but I rooted for the Giants, not the Pats "just because they were in my league". The same goes for basketball, so on and so forth.

I wont deny that the Mets have some great talent (David Wright anybody?), but either it is by pure bad luck or bad judgement, they cannot seem to win, and you cannot hide that truth.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 10-22-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea, the most of the team was injured. We've covered this already. You know as well as I do that the Mets are not a 70 win team when healthy.

Maybe we will win 24 world series if you give us the extra 80 years the Yankees have had to win them. Those 1920's teams, guess what, there were no Mets then. You are exactly why I hate the Yankees and their fans. Your arguments are really illogical man.
You are why I hate illogical people, I left the past alone and spoke about THIS YEAR. You bring up the '20s WTF???

The Mets threw Randolph out with the trash, he is a great man and they disrespected him, I hate that no matter what team does it, The Rangers did it to Leech, I hated it.

The Yankees can blame injuries on last year, they lost Wang this year, injury is part of the game, I am not arguing the Mets had a tough series of events. You are the one whining about it, hell I did not bring their HORRIBLE year until you started in with the Yankees bad years.

No matter how you slice it, Just taking into account the years the Mets have existed, record against record the Yankees are the better team.

My Aunt lives in Riverdale, she is an avid Mets fan, she says they have made serious mistakes.

I am a Yankee fan, I know they sucked last year, why not just admit your team had a bad year and get over it?
Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Injuries are a part of the game. You didn't hear us bitching when Wang was lost for the season. We improvised with Joba and are continuing to do so with the 3 man rotation in the playoffs. Fortunately CC is a beast. Bruney, Marte, and Nady were all significant injuries that hampered the Yanks' bullpen.

You bring up the 2004 ALCS as the worst choke in history. That may be the case but that was an excellent Bosox team and Schilling was legendary. What about our comeback after being down 0-2 against the favored Braves in 1996 and our domination of the WS from 98-00? (1 win was all the Padres, Braves, and Mets could muster COMBINED)

6 WS in 8 consecutive years?!?!? Try matching that record in any other major sport.

I have no sympathy for the Mets with their comparable payroll. Santana, Delgado, Beltran, and K-rod are getting paid millions to play golf in October instead at $600 million Citi.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

I love this shit.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Blah, blah, blah. You talk about logic and use the "we woulda won X games if we were healthy." No, I don't know that. Games aren't played on paper. You look at teams on paper, with their lineup and talent, and oftentimes they do not meet expectations even with no injuries.

OK, how about play 24 playoff series?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Lt. Gamble

Did anyone else know this about the Mets? Is there anymore info on this?

I just found this on the web.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091021/...us_mets_madoff
Old 10-22-2009, 06:14 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by madcaps
Did anyone else know this about the Mets? Is there anymore info on this?

I just found this on the web.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091021/...us_mets_madoff
Interesting.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

AJ sucks, we are lucky Vlad did not just homer, Joe needs to pull him now.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Im enjoying this arguement because it is somewhat humorous, but Gibson, you have to get your facts straight.

The Yankees were established in 1913 (Im not counting the previous names, Baltimore Orioles 1901-02 and NY Highlanders 1903-12). The Mets were established in 1962. Thats 49 years. They won 19 of their 26 titles in those 49 years.

When you get down to it, the Yankees have still been a better team since 1962, even through the 80s and early 90s when they weren't good. They have 7 World Series titles since the Mets have come to fruition. The Mets have won 2.

Yes, I am a New Yorker. Yes, I was born a Yankee fan (of my own choice, my mother is an Oakland fan, and my father doesnt watch baseball). No, I do not hate the Mets. If the Yankees werent in the Post Season and the Mets were, hell yea Id be rooting for them. Its just like when the Giants played the Pats in the Superbowl. I am a Jets fan, but I rooted for the Giants, not the Pats "just because they were in my league". The same goes for basketball, so on and so forth.

I wont deny that the Mets have some great talent (David Wright anybody?), but either it is by pure bad luck or bad judgement, they cannot seem to win, and you cannot hide that truth.
Yea I know, the 80 years was exaggeration. Point is that they have been around so much longer and had so many more opportunities than the Mets. And they do have hard luck. Make no mistake about it, I'm not complaining about the injuries, but stating them as a reason for losing games.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM
My Garage

You are why I hate illogical people, I left the past alone and spoke about THIS YEAR. You bring up the '20s WTF???

The Mets threw Randolph out with the trash, he is a great man and they disrespected him, I hate that no matter what team does it, The Rangers did it to Leech, I hated it.

The Yankees can blame injuries on last year, they lost Wang this year, injury is part of the game, I am not arguing the Mets had a tough series of events. You are the one whining about it, hell I did not bring their HORRIBLE year until you started in with the Yankees bad years.

No matter how you slice it, Just taking into account the years the Mets have existed, record against record the Yankees are the better team.

My Aunt lives in Riverdale, she is an avid Mets fan, she says they have made serious mistakes.

I am a Yankee fan, I know they sucked last year, why not just admit your team had a bad year and get over it?
"Talk crap after the Mets win 24 more World Series."
I left the past alone and spoke about THIS YEAR. You bring up the '20s WTF???
Didn't bring up the past huh?

I never said that Mets had a good year...they had a terrible year. I never denied that. I brought up the Yankees bad year because you said the Mets perennially suck.

I still don't what you are trying to say, this argument has gone way off track. My point is I'm against the whole 'if my team sucks this year, I'm gonna root for the other team in the state.' mentality. You act like I'm the only one who feels this way. How do you think White Sox fans feel about Cubs fans? They hate eachother.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by NetEditor
Blah, blah, blah. You talk about logic and use the "we woulda won X games if we were healthy." No, I don't know that. Games aren't played on paper. You look at teams on paper, with their lineup and talent, and oftentimes they do not meet expectations even with no injuries.

OK, how about play 24 playoff series?
Really, that's all you got? That there is more to it than what's on paper?

I never said we would have won X games. I said we were a better than 70 win team when healthy. It's called statistics and projections. They are major part of any sport. Spare me the "anything can happen" routine. Over the course of the season, the teams that are generally predicted to come out on top, usually do.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM
My Garage

I love this shit.
Me too

Especially when it pisses off Yankee fans.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by surfer rick
Injuries are a part of the game. You didn't hear us bitching when Wang was lost for the season. We improvised with Joba and are continuing to do so with the 3 man rotation in the playoffs. Fortunately CC is a beast. Bruney, Marte, and Nady were all significant injuries that hampered the Yanks' bullpen.

You bring up the 2004 ALCS as the worst choke in history. That may be the case but that was an excellent Bosox team and Schilling was legendary. What about our comeback after being down 0-2 against the favored Braves in 1996 and our domination of the WS from 98-00? (1 win was all the Padres, Braves, and Mets could muster COMBINED)

6 WS in 8 consecutive years?!?!? Try matching that record in any other major sport.

I have no sympathy for the Mets with their comparable payroll. Santana, Delgado, Beltran, and K-rod are getting paid millions to play golf in October instead at $600 million Citi.
Yes, injuries are a part of the game, that's fine. And yes, the Mets had a horrible year. The part that irritates is when people say the Mets suck. That team that went out there everyday this season sucked, but that wasn't the full Mets team. It's pretty simple to me, yet some don't follow.

I heard many Yankees fans bitching about Wang, you guys cry like little babies if you don't make the post season. Like you have some sense of entitlement. You guys didn't lose your core last year. You lost your platoon players. Wang sucks anyway.

Rationalize the Boston events any way you want. You can't talk shit about the Mets collapsing after what the Yankees did in that series.

And for the 10th time, we don't want your sympathy. You should hate them. I surely hate the Yankees.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:35 PM
My Garage

Did I cover everyone?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Lt. Gamble

I think the reason why Yankee fans cry when they don't make the postseason is because there should be no reason why the shouldn't make the postseason. If the Dodgers had that kind of payroll and all star lineup I'd be pissed too if we didn't make the postseason. However, as a Dodger fan, this is the reason why I laugh when they don't make it.

On that note, damn their getting owned by the Angels tonight. Although, I think they want to go back to N.Y. to clinch.

I have to admit I'm kinda :theghey: on David Wright, he's one of my fav 3B in the league. and Jose Reyes isn't too shabby either. Mets have always been contenders in the N.L., every year I go to at least one Dodger/Met game cause its usually a pretty good game. Hopefully Gibson they get well and stay away from injuries so we can battle it out next season.

Last edited by madcaps; 10-22-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Lt. Gamble

Alright, I'll take that back, maybe they don't want to wait to get back to N.Y. to clinch.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:21 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

6-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibson, you make no sense, try to keep up. The Mets played badly period.

Madcaps the Dodgers had a huge lead, they almost blew it and got blown out in the NLCS

Last edited by e30cabrio; 10-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Wow, that Yankees line up is oozing with clutch...

Still have faith in my Phillies!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Lt. Gamble

6-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gibson, you make no sense, try to keep up. The Mets played badly period.

Madcaps the Dodgers had a huge lead, they almost blew it and got blown out in the NLCS
Ok....I don't understand where you are coming from or your comment. Please explain.

Huge lead? What are you referring too?

Whose "they"? Dodgers? If so, they did blow it, good observation Captian Obvious!

Why you bringing up the past?

Yes they did lose the NLCS, glad to see your paying attention.

Last edited by madcaps; 10-22-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
come on yanks!!!!

be clutch burnett!!!! dont give it back u homo
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
girardi should have taken burnett out after the 1st runner got on base....he better hope that this doesnt come back 2 burn him
Old 10-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Lt. Gamble

Originally Posted by unsure
girardi should have taken burnett out after the 1st runner got on base....he better hope that this doesnt come back 2 burn him
Seriously, but his faults don't really matter after that last half inning, now their bullpen needs to come through.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Giggity the top of the 7th was

Texeira is worth every dollar the Yanks threw his way, sooooo cluth in the postseason. Cano is stepping up big, the pinstripes need to close out tonight.

Gibson, nobody wants to hear your whining or about your pathetic Mets. Stop polluting this thread with your nonsensical ramblings and inability to do basic arithmetic.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok....I don't understand where you are coming from or your comment. Please explain.

Huge lead? What are you referring too?

Whose "they"? Dodgers? If so, they did blow it, good observation Captian Obvious!

Why you bringing up the past?

Yes they did lose the NLCS, glad to see your paying attention.
Apparently you are slow, the Dodgers were the best team in baseball and had a huge lead in their division, they almost lost the division. Try to keep up.

The 2009 season is so far back, I understand you don't want to dwell in that history seeing as your team is done.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:38 PM
One on the right for me

Angels manager should have his balls cut off.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Really, that's all you got? That there is more to it than what's on paper?

I never said we would have won X games. I said we were a better than 70 win team when healthy. It's called statistics and projections. They are major part of any sport. Spare me the "anything can happen" routine. Over the course of the season, the teams that are generally predicted to come out on top, usually do.
Yeah, it's more than you got, which is the Mets not in the playoffs.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda, didn't. Cry me a river about the Mets' injuries. The Mets should've made it to the playoffs in 2007, but didn't, so don't tell me about projections and statistics. The Yankees should've beaten the Red Sox in 2004, but didn't. So your argument is lame.

And if you think Wang sucks, you've lost all credibility. Before this season, his record was 54-20.

Last edited by NetEditor; 10-22-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Suzuka Master

FFFUUUU.... Hughes keep it together
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
One on the right for me

Good job at ending the inning Yankees
Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Lt. Gamble

Apparently you are slow, the Dodgers were the best team in baseball and had a huge lead in their division, they almost lost the division. Try to keep up.

The 2009 season is so far back, I understand you don't want to dwell in that history seeing as your team is done.
Not slow, I just can't read bad grammar. Your post made no sense and your sarcasm is mediocre at best. Keep trying though.

Oh shit tie game, go Angels!! Haha!!

Where are all the Angels fans anyway?

Nevermind, Angels take the lead!!

Last edited by madcaps; 10-22-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
WOW.....As a fan of none of these teams....THIS IS A GREAT GAME!!!! LOL
One on the right for me

If the Yankees were a real team this would have been in the bag. I know they came to play but wow, unless they are just trying to make this interesting and want to take it back in NY.
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fukin angels!

Go YANKEES!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
WOW.....As a fan of none of these teams....THIS IS A GREAT GAME!!!! LOL
Great game indeed. You guys ready for a spanking?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:54 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by subinf
If the Yankees were a real team this would have been in the bag. I know they came to play but wow, unless they are just trying to make this interesting and want to take it back in NY.
Buy a clue please.

Quick Reply: MLB: 2009 Playoffs and World Series Thread