Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Metal Bats for High School

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Metal Bats for High School

I didn't find any topics in a search.

What is everyone's opinion regarding the use of metal baseball bats for high school games?

There have always been injuries blamed on the use of metal bats. I've never cared either way. When I played in Little League I used metal bats, mainly because nothing else was supplied. In high school my preference was wood bats. I didn't feel my swing was that much better using metal, and I felt that much better about myself when I hit for extra bases.

Anyway, this was recently an issue regarding one of the high schools in the athletic league.

The Marin County Athletic League voted unanimously Thursday to ban nonwooden bats for the remainder of this baseball season in the wake of a critical head injury to a Marin Catholic High School pitcher struck with a ball off a metal bat.

The use of metal bats in baseball has come under scrutiny in the county after the March 11 head injury of Marin Catholic pitcher Gunnar Sandberg, a 16-year-old Kentfield resident who remains in a coma at Marin General Hospital.
http://www.marinij.com/ci_14758322
Old 03-25-2010, 08:50 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Metal bats have been mostly used because of their life span. I would say that the pitcher would be injured if the bat had been wood.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:01 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
IMHO, wood bats are the way to go. I try to get my players to use wood as often as possible (it will make them a better hitter in the long run). I just worry that to many people are getting sue crazy and are looking for money where ever they can get it. If the pitcher got hit in the head it must be the metal bats fault. If he got hit in the head with a wood bat would they just change the whole game to nerf? I say, grow a set and if you are going to be a pitcher, you better be ready to field a ball hit back up the middle. Maybe the pitcher should have made a better pitch. Accidents happen.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'm too lazy to search but I do remember reading something a few years back that spoke to the acceleration of the baseball from metal bats versus wood bats.

For me, I've always considered it part of the game. I'd be surprised if a lawsuit results from this specific injury. I think a lot of players (and parents) relaize its inherent. However, if wooden bats do result in a slower acceleration, then sure, it makes things easier.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
I also think wood bats are the way to go.

Although injuries from batted balls are inevitable, balls are hit harder and come off aluminum bats faster than wooden bats.

Also, aluminum bats have wider sweet spots and are more forgiving than wood bats, which can create bad hitting habits in kids, especially evident when they have to move up to high school or college and start using wood bats.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 AM
i-vtec soo good

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a good article on metal vs wood bats:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2007-...ts-cover_N.htm

I for one hate metal/aluminum bats. But I can see how cost efficient they are for high schools with low budgets. They dont break, they dont warp in weather and are durable season after season. I'd prefer HS kids to learn and use wood bats because it's what the pros use and it only trains them for the future.
But we all dont go to that rich suburban school with the lush green grass and tasty school lunch now do we - yah Im a hater i went to NYC public school and we had concrete for a field lol...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
Super Car Enthusiast

Received 190 Likes on 91 Posts
From Little League to high school, wooden bats were never even an option for us. Metal cleats weren't even allowed until high school.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paz840
I also think wood bats are the way to go.

Although injuries from batted balls are inevitable, balls are hit harder and come off aluminum bats faster than wooden bats.

Also, aluminum bats have wider sweet spots and are more forgiving than wood bats, which can create bad hitting habits in kids, especially evident when they have to move up to high school or college and start using wood bats.
I was a pitcher for my varsity HS team 3 years in a row where wood bats weren't even an option and I had my fair share batted ball related injuries - broken nose, broken rib, I still have stitch-marks in my ass from a line drive almost 15 years ago...

I also played several seasons in a post-HS league using only wooden bats and the pop from a solid hit using a metal bat had no comparison.

Wood bats are, without question, more safe. But as a high school pitcher I guess I just viewed it as an occupational hazard since NO ONE in the Minnesota State High School League used wooden bats. As my coach told me after the hit that broke my rib "if you wouldn't have hung that curve, you wouldn't have gotten hit." Thanks coach...