Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

Jordon making another comeback?

Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jordon making another comeback?

Reports: MJ eyeing return with Heat?

9/23/2004

Several newspapers reports out of Florida say that Michael Jordan has been working out once again and could be eyeing a chance at playing for the Miami Heat alongside Shaquille O'Neal.

A short item in Wednesday's Denver Post kicked off the rumour mill, as Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe said Jordan has been working out and was looking at a possible third comeback in Miami.

Heat President Pat Riley was unavailable for comment.

The Miami Herald added that O'Neal told teammates that Jordan has left him several messages, and O'Neal was convinced Jordan wants to play for the Heat this year. The paper added that O'Neal told teammates he was not interested in having Jordan join the Heat and asked whether one of the players should go to management and air out their feeling on not recruiting Jordan.

In the past Jordan, 41, was said to be interested in owning a part of the Heat, but team owner Micky Arison and Riley have already denied those rumours.

Jordan has retired three times. The first was after he won his third title with Chicago in 1993. He pursued a baseball career before returning to the Bulls during the 1994-95 campaign. He won three more titles with Chicago before retiring again. He joined the Washington Wizards front office, but returned to the court in 2001 for two more seasons.

In his final season, the Heat elected to hang a Jordan jersey in the rafters of AmericanAirlines Arena.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Okay...as much as I like MJ, he needs to call it quits. He's getting too old for this shit and won't be able to play forever.

Some people need to learn when to stop.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:43 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts

He has successfully tarnished his name when most thought it was impossible to do so after 6 NBA Titles. The first thing I think of now when someone mentions MJ, is the lame Washingston Wizards forward who alienated teammates and did little to help. Looks like he wants that rep tarnished further.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:44 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Whatever, I really hope this is just a BS story.

MJ may well be one of the greatest players in b-ball history but I lost respect for him a long time ago.

You retire, tough shit, you stay retired. quit making a million fucking comebacks.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Maybe he gambled all his money away and cant pay the rent.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Niner Faithful

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If you read SI.com, Shaq told his teammates that MJ has left messages on his phone but that Shaq doesn't want him to be a Heat.

MJ, no more comebacks!
Old 09-23-2004, 02:54 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by khannie112
If you read SI.com, Shaq told his teammates that MJ has left messages on his phone but that Shaq doesn't want him to be a Heat.

MJ, no more comebacks!

even NBA players dont respect him any more. No one is returning his calls
Old 09-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
MJ...can't you retire...and STAY RETIRED???!!!???
Old 09-23-2004, 03:30 PM

sad to see all this unfold...one of the greatest nba players of all times keeps tarnishing his image

sad to see that his drive is still there even though his body has physically detoriated
Old 09-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's like pizza: when it's hot and fresh from the oven, it's the best thing ever. Reheat it once, not so bad. Reheat it two or more times, and it tastes like ass.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ricecake
It's like pizza: when it's hot and fresh from the oven, it's the best thing ever. Reheat it once, not so bad. Reheat it two or more times, and it tastes like ass.

Re-heated Pizza is awful I agree but cold Pizza the morning after is

Old 09-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
we have to see how he will do with other superstars on the team, on the wizards, he was the only guy, so give him a chance, bernard hopkins is about the same age and ghes the best in the game. age shouldn't be a factor in this day, unless he's 60yrs old, lol. 40 is todays 30.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

actually pizza always tastes good to me.

Its like sex, even when its bad, its still pretty good.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fdl
actually pizza always tastes good to me.

Its like sex, even when its bad, its still pretty good.
low standards, lol. I guess for women, bad sex is still...bad sex.

sorry, what was the thread topic again?
Old 09-23-2004, 04:18 PM
I'm allergic to bull

I love retirement, sex, pizza and not returning calls. Have I missed anything?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
The Third Ball

Received 5,056 Likes on 2,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Helicobacter Pylori
I love retirement, sex, pizza and not returning calls. Have I missed anything?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Keeping emos out of

Originally Posted by fdl
Maybe he gambled all his money away and cant pay the rent.
According to Fortune magazine, MJ is worth over $500 million, so it cant be about the money. He still has that competitive fire and wants to play again, but i fear that Father Time has caught up to him and his time as an NBA player has passed at least 3 years ago. I hope that he comes to his senses and buys a team instead of trying to be a player again. I want to remember him as this:

Not like this:

Old 09-23-2004, 06:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
who is Jordon?

Old 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM
04 remembrance

Despire his failures as a Wiz, he still did leave remarkably (All-star game), but I would hate to see Jordan in a heat's jersey. And hopefully, this crap is just a rumor.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:33 PM
04 remembrance

HEAT

Sources: O'Neal does not want Jordan to play with the Heat

Michael Jordan, 41, has renewed his workouts, which fueled rumors he might unretire to join Miami.

BY BARRY JACKSON AND ISRAEL GUTIERREZ

bjackson@herald.com

Apparently, one of the NBA's all-time greatest players is enough for the Miami Heat.

Shaquille O'Neal has told Heat teammates that NBA legend Michael Jordan wants to play for Miami this season, and went so far as to ask a few Heat players whether it would be a good idea, two sources with knowledge of the situation said.

O'Neal told teammates that Jordan has left him several messages, and O'Neal was convinced Jordan wants to play for the Heat this year. O'Neal told teammates he was not interested in having Jordan join the Heat, and others agreed, the sources said. O'Neal even asked whether one of the players should go to management and express the desire not to add Jordan, one of the sources said.

Regardless, it appears unlikely that the five-time MVP will come out of retirement to join Miami at age 41. When the Jordan-to-Miami rumors originally surfaced in July, Heat president Pat Riley dismissed them, uninterested in adding a player Jordan's age.

Rumors of a Jordan comeback have resurfaced in recent weeks because he has been working out vigorously with other NBA players in Chicago, and a Denver Post story Wednesday said Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe has acknowledged the rumor. The story, however, was about a possible Dennis Rodman comeback, with only a brief mention of Jordan. Jordan has not played since averaging 20 points and 6.1 rebounds for the Washington Wizards in the 2002-03 season and has since been adamant that his playing days are finished.

Last week, Heat general manager Randy Pfund said he spoke with Jordan's trainer, Tim Grover, and Grover gave no indication Jordan was mulling a comeback. During a trip to Asia in May, Jordan repeatedly said there was no chance he would make another comeback. He also has denied comeback rumors recently.

Jordan was spotted on South Beach in July, before the O'Neal trade, which led to rumors of a comeback.

The Heat does need help at small forward, with Rasual Butler, Wesley Person and Eddie Jones being the leading candidates to start at that position when the season begins. Jordan spent much of his time with the Wizards playing small forward, but the Heat doesn't seem prepared to turn to Jordan for help.

Jordan wants to be a part-owner of a team and has frequently been linked to the Heat.
Thank God.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Teh ?

Geez, when is MJ gonna learn to let go?

Junkster, who would still pay to watch him play
Old 09-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Old fart

now if he was to make ANOTHER return to the NBA...come back to Da Bulls
Old 09-24-2004, 09:31 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

He should return for a season, then retire, and then come back one more time. That would be awesome.

Originally Posted by Junkster
Junkster, who would still pay to watch him play

I guess this is the problem.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:58 AM
Keeping emos out of

Jordan Air's it out: There's no comeback

ESPN.com news services

Recent speculation about Michael Jordan returning to the NBA for a third time seems to have taken on a life of its own -- to the point where Jordan himself felt the need to set the record straight.

Jordan spoke with Michael Wilbon, co-host of ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, on Thursday and denied he was coming back to play in the NBA and that he has talked to Shaquille O'Neal about playing for the Miami Heat.

Michael Jordan
Jordan

"I don't know how this started. I haven't talked with Shaq. There's no comeback," Jordan told Wilbon.

A spokeswoman also said that Jordan isn't coming back.

"There is no truth to any rumors that Michael has ambitions to return to basketball," Estee Portnoy, a spokeswoman for SFX Sports Group, said Thursday. "He said, 'I think it's time to put the rumors to bed.' He's been puzzled and flattered. He found all these rumors very amusing. But he wanted to let everyone know he just has no plans to play."

ESPN Insider Chad Ford reported Sept. 1 that Jordan appeared at Hoops Gym in Chicago the previous week looking for a pickup game.

Jordan did play in a pickup game earlier this month, Portnoy said, but hasn't played since. She said the superstar's interest in playing in pickup games shouldn't be interpreted as a sign that he might return.

Jordan was just coming off his camp in Santa Barbara, Calif., where he played against some of the top college players in the country, including Chris Paul, Mustafa Shakur, Rashad McCants, Jarrett Jack and Joey Graham.

Portnoy said that Jordan had left messages with O'Neal in August because he was trying to get O'Neal to speak at his camp but that the two never got in touch.

She added that Jordan's interest in owning at least part of an NBA team remains "very strong." The Heat appears to be one of the teams under consideration for such a move.

There have been rumors for weeks that Jordan is contemplating a comeback -- possibly with the Heat. According to those same sources, the rumors aren't true.

"He's 41 years old. If he wanted to play, he probably still could," a source told Ford. "I would never say never with Michael, but that's not why he's here. He just wanted to get some exercise and some good runs. I don't think you'll see Michael playing in the NBA again."
Old 09-24-2004, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Good.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:01 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by goose25

"I don't know how this started. I haven't talked with Shaq. There's no comeback," Jordan told Wilbon.

Thats only because shaq never returned his phone calls
Old 09-24-2004, 11:45 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally Posted by domn
Re-heated Pizza is awful I agree but cold Pizza the morning after is

Reheated cinnamon buns are an entirely different matter. When they come out of the oven or microwave they are good for a minute or so and then turn into hockey pucks.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:52 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Originally Posted by fdl
Thats only because shaq never returned his phone calls
A quote from Shaq, as mentioned in http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/a...hp/t-3212.html :

"I don’t have a cell phone, because people that I’m connected with I’m connected with. All you gotta do is think, and I’ll call you. I don’t have a cell phone.

And that’s the problem with the Diesel. I’m technologically more advanced than you are. My thought process begins where the regular human apexes at."
Old 09-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
:wtf: is he talking about.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Thou shalt not try to parse the sayings of more technologically advanced humans.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dnb
A quote from Shaq, as mentioned in http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/a...hp/t-3212.html :

"I don’t have a cell phone, because people that I’m connected with I’m connected with. All you gotta do is think, and I’ll call you. I don’t have a cell phone.

And that’s the problem with the Diesel. I’m technologically more advanced than you are. My thought process begins where the regular human apexes at."

That third person stuff sounds familiar Click
Old 09-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
O'Neal told teammates that Jordan has left him several messages, and O'Neal was convinced Jordan wants to play for the Heat this year. O'Neal told teammates he was not interested in having Jordan join the Heat, and others agreed, the sources said. O'Neal even asked whether one of the players should go to management and express the desire not to add Jordan, one of the sources said.
You KNOW Shaq is thinking, "Damn, that guy's not gonna pass me the ball either."
Old 09-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by jlukja
You KNOW Shaq is thinking, "Damn, that guy's not gonna pass me the ball either."

that and he's going to steal all the publicity from Shaq..
Old 09-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Teh ?

Originally Posted by domn
That third person stuff sounds familiar Click
Well, great men have lots in common, you know...

Man, as much as it would be a side show, I would like to see MJ play with a dominant center for once. A inside guy that demands a double would have meant MJ pwning even more teams.

hehe... I love it when Shaq makes silly comments.

Junkster, who likes the fact that Shaq is back to being the fun-loving shaq
Old 09-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Banned

i share the same view as most of you, Jordan is my all time favorite player ,but his time has passed. I wouldnt want to see him in a Heat uniform, it was bad enough with the Wizards.