Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!
View Poll Results: Is your team in cap hell?
Yes
0%
No
0%
Don't care
0%
Go Nordiques!
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Hockey: News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-21-2005 | 05:13 PM
MSZ
Lola

Team Canada announces Olympic roster

Canadian Press

12/21/2005 5:49:06 PM

(CP) - Todd Bertuzzi made it and Sidney Crosby wasn't picked for what is a veteran-laden Olympic men's hockey team.

The negativity that has buzzed around Bertuzzi since his league suspension over the Steve Moore attack will no doubt follow him to Turin but, in the end, he was considered too good to leave off the 2006 Olympic squad.

Selectors went with the tried and true in naming 10 who won 2002 gold and adding others who impressed during the 2004 World Cup of Hockey. Of the 23 players named, 21 were on in the lineups of those two squads.

''It's never an easy task,'' Kevin Lowe, assistant executive director, said of choosing the squad.

Lowe also read a statement by Wayne Gretzky, Team Canada's executive director, thanking hockey fans for their best wishes after the death of his mother Phyllis to cancer on Monday.

''This is a great day for Canadian hockey and congratulations to everyone. I know my mom was looking forward to this day as every Canadian is,'' Gretzky said.

Team Canada officials read out the player names by position, as if drafting the players, alternating with players from the women's team as they were selected. Youngsters wearing Team Canada jerseys with the men's player names on the back entered as they were announced.

Joe Sakic, the last player to have his name called, was unveiled as the team's captain.

There was no room in the team for much-ballyhooed rookie Crosby, who was recommended by Mario Lemieux after the 2002 captain took himself out of the running, or for sensational third-year pro Eric Staal.

At the time of announcement on the ice at GM Place in Vancouver on Wednesday afternoon, Staal led all NHL players with 24 goals and was fourth in points with 47. He was named to a reserve squad to be available only if a forward on the main roster withdraws due to injury.

Crosby is second among NHL rookies and 29th overall with 33 points.

''I understand and recognize that it's not an easy decision for the Canadian selection committee,'' said Pat Brisson, Crosby's agent. ''Regardless of their decisions, it was going to create some kind of controversy with the talent pool.

''However, as I've said before, in my opinion Sidney thrives under pressure and could play with anyone in the world and make a difference.''

Experience at the senior international level in Canada's colours obviously was a paramount consideration in the selections.

Goaltender Martin Brodeur, defencemen Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Ed Jovanovski, Scott Niedermayer and Chris Pronger, and forwards Simon Gagne, Jarome Iginla, Sakic and Ryan Smyth are the 10 holdovers from Salt Lake City.

Also named for the February tournament in Turin, Italy, were goaltenders Roberto Luongo and Marty Turco, defencemen Wade Redden and Robyn Regehr, and forwards Bertuzzi, Shane Doan, Kris Draper, Dany Heatley, Vincent Lecavalier, Brad Richards, Rick Nash, Martin St. Louis and Joe Thornton.

''It's a Canadian dream coming true,'' said Turco. ''There was no guarantee.

''I just feel fortunate and really honoured that I got picked.''

The reserve squad consists of Staal, Jason Spezza and Bryan McCabe, who is the highest-scoring defenceman in the NHL. They would only play in case of injuries taking others out off the roster.

Spezza was thought to have a strong chance of making it. He was tied for fourth in the NHL with linemate Heatley and Staal in points on Wednesday.

Others among leading NHL point-getters who weren't selected included Patrick Marleau, Brendan Shanahan and Alex Tanguay.

Twelve of the 2002 Olympic champions aren't among the 23 main roster players for 2006: Lemieux and fellow forwards Steve Yzerman, Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros, Mike Peca, Shanahan, Owen Nolan and Theo Fleury, defencemen Eric Brewer and the retired Al MacInnis; and goaltenders Curtis Joseph and Ed Belfour.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSZ
Team Canada announces Olympic roster
No major surprises except for Bertuzzi and McCabe. My

I'm surprised that McCabe make the team because he's snubbed playing for Canada many times in the past.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:23 PM
MSZ
Lola

Originally Posted by TSXforme
No major surprises except for Bertuzzi and McCabe. My

I'm surprised that McCabe make the team because he's snubbed playing for Canada many times in the past.
He didn't make the team. Thats the taxi squad.

If nobody gets hurt when the game begins, he will not show up in Italy.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSZ
He didn't make the team. Thats the taxi squad.

I understand that he's on the taxi squad...but I'm still surprised that he's on the roster.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:34 PM
MSZ
Lola

I understand that he's on the taxi squad...but I'm still surprised that he's on the roster.
I'm more surprised that Staal didn't make the team.

Why put the whole Tampa Bay line again? St. Louis did nothing in the 04 World Cup, and most of games he played this season have been very average too.
Old 12-21-2005 | 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MSZ
I'm more surprised that Staal didn't make the team.

Why put the whole Tampa Bay line again? St. Louis did nothing in the 04 World Cup, and most of games he played this season have been very average too.
Good point!

Actually include Rick Nash as the 3rd guy whom I am surprised at making the team. He's been injured all year. Staal should have taken his place.
Old 12-21-2005 | 09:10 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Yeah...at the time, that was the epitome of all mullets. It even put Marty McSorley's mullet to shame (when he played for the Kings).
If memory serves correct, when you look up mullet in the dictionary, Barry Melrose's picture from 1993 is there.
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah fark...the Hawks lose again...

It's over. Go Hawks for 2006-2007 season...
Old 12-21-2005 | 11:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Staal and Spezza should have been on the team, bertuzzi andf st louis off. I'm a little worried about nash as well. But either way its a kick ass team. Canada has so much depth (especially in the important goalie position) that we could dress 2 teams and theres a good chance they would face each other in the finals.
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:10 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Ah fark...the Hawks lose again...

It's over. Go Hawks for 2006-2007 season...
Is this official? Have you officially written off the Hawks?

...as for me..my faith in the Kings is being restored...(knock on wood) 4 wins in a row is a great way to turn things around.
Old 12-22-2005 | 12:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Is this official? Have you officially written off the Hawks?

...as for me..my faith in the Kings is being restored...(knock on wood) 4 wins in a row is a great way to turn things around.
Remember how I said I'd go into mode if they still stank in December...? I even gave them an extension as I think my original timeframe was November...

Yeah, stick a fork in the Hawks...they are done.
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:39 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by MSZ

Nope, the taxi squad will be going to Italy but as of today they are not being allowed to stay in he Olympic village or take part in practice. Pretty retarded which is why Gretzky is fighting that and trying to get permission for taxi players to practice.

As for the team, I like all the choices except Bertuzzi for obvious reason's. I think its a disgrace that he's there to be honest. And how he is a better selection than Brendan Shanahan is beyond me. Shanahan has more goals 20 to 11, not to mention the leadership and experience that Shanahan brings in what I think is too young a team.

Canada for the Silver.
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:51 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fdl
Staal and Spezza should have been on the team, bertuzzi andf st louis off. I'm a little worried about nash as well. But either way its a kick ass team. Canada has so much depth (especially in the important goalie position) that we could dress 2 teams and theres a good chance they would face each other in the finals.

staal and spezza didnt make it. ooooooof sounds like a popularity contest going on. what gives
Old 12-22-2005 | 01:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
Nope, the taxi squad will be going to Italy but as of today they are not being allowed to stay in he Olympic village or take part in practice. Pretty retarded which is why Gretzky is fighting that and trying to get permission for taxi players to practice.

As for the team, I like all the choices except Bertuzzi for obvious reason's. I think its a disgrace that he's there to be honest. And how he is a better selection than Brendan Shanahan is beyond me. Shanahan has more goals 20 to 11, not to mention the leadership and experience that Shanahan brings in what I think is too young a team.

Canada for the Silver.
I don't think they're that young. Excluding the taxi squad, the youngest guy on the roster is Nash (21 years). The majority (15/23) of the guys' ages are around 30. But this is what makes team Canada so unique and special...there is a significant continuity between the old guard and the new guard. I think Gretzky does a great job in brining in some new blood to learn from the older guys.
Old 12-22-2005 | 02:06 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I don't think they're that young. Excluding the taxi squad, the youngest guy on the roster is Nash (21 years). The majority (15/23) of the guys' ages are around 30. But this is what makes team Canada so unique and special...there is a significant continuity between the old guard and the new guard. I think Gretzky does a great job in brining in some new blood to learn from the older guys.

Who do see stepping up and leading this team in the dressing room?

Sakic I thought, correct me if I'm wrong isn't a vocal leader. He's more of a lead by example type. No Stevie Y, no Mario I can't see anyone in this lineup that commands a great deal of respect. Its not anyone's fault, they'll just have to make sure to step up.

Not to mention that I think the Czech's have a huge advantage in goal. Brodeur just doesn't seem himself so far this year.
Old 12-22-2005 | 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dom
Who do see stepping up and leading this team in the dressing room?

Sakic I thought, correct me if I'm wrong isn't a vocal leader. He's more of a lead by example type. No Stevie Y, no Mario I can't see anyone in this lineup that commands a great deal of respect. Its not anyone's fault, they'll just have to make sure to step up.

Not to mention that I think the Czech's have a huge advantage in goal. Brodeur just doesn't seem himself so far this year.
Then you'll be asking the same questions again come 2010. That's the thing, there are many captains playing on team Canada. Guys like Blake, Smyth, Lecavalier, Niedermayer, Pronger, Foote, and Iginla are captains (in some cases were captains) for a particular reason.

I think that during the 2010 games I think the next captain for team Canada is Iginla. Despite Iginla's perceived media personal (well spoken, smiley faced, nothing bad to say about anyone) he is the type of guy who does do what Steve Yzerman and Lemieux does, which is pull guys aside and challenge/demands his teammates to perform well.

I agree with the assessment that Canada may not win the gold because the Czechs and even the Swedes look pretty darn good for Turin. Swedes look like they have a solid goaltender in Lundqvist.
Old 12-22-2005 | 02:28 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Should be a good tournament!
Old 12-22-2005 | 05:21 PM
MSZ
Lola

Kiprusoff withdraws name from Finnish team

TSN.ca Staff

12/22/2005 6:12:51 PM

Calgary, AB - Calgary Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff has withdrawn his name from the Finnish National Men's Hockey Team for the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Turin, Italy.

Kiprusoff has inflammation of the hip and upon medical advisement will use the period during the Olympics to restore the injured area to 100 percent.

''It is in the best interest of the Calgary Flames that I use this opportunity to ensure I am totally recovered for the NHL playoff drive,'' said Kiprusoff. ''I have always been very proud to represent my country in international competition and I'm disappointed that I will not be joining them at the Olympics in Italy.''
Excellent, one less competition = more chance for the gold.
Old 12-27-2005 | 03:55 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Perhaps this one will turn into a "chronic" injury that will magically disappear when he joins yet another team.

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs will be minus Jason Allison when they face the Penguins in Pittsburgh on Tuesday night after the veteran centre sustained a fractured finger tip in Monday's 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=148307&hubname=nhl
Old 12-27-2005 | 05:42 PM
MSZ
Lola

Perhaps this one will turn into a "chronic" injury that will magically disappear when he joins yet another team.
Make it official: Moog hates Jason Allison a lot.
Old 12-27-2005 | 08:01 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

I have analog basic cable. For some reason, I felt compelled to watch an entire set of listings on the TV Guide channel tonight. I noticed that OLN is channel 76. "Hmmmm... that's down by the regular channels." I manually punch in the channel and PRESTO! There's the B's and Caps.

I've had OLN the whole freakin' season and didn't even know it because my TV's channel scan flipped around one f*!@$ng number before the channel Comcast put OLN on!

Old 12-27-2005 | 09:07 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MSZ
Make it official: Moog hates Jason Allison a lot.
Count me as one of the Allison 's Just like all the Bruin and King fans that he screwed over. Leafs fans are next.
Old 12-27-2005 | 09:20 PM
MSZ
Lola

Count me as one of the Allison 's Just like all the Bruin and King fans that he screwed over. Leafs fans are next.
Its not like he had problem with the dressing room and then he quit.

He blocked a fucking shot during a PK and now he has a finger injury. I won't blame him for that.

Anyway...great win tonight. Sundin has a 3 pts night. WOOHOO! Go Leafs Go
Old 12-27-2005 | 09:45 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MSZ
Its not like he had problem with the dressing room and then he quit.

He blocked a fucking shot during a PK and now he has a finger injury. I won't blame him for that.

Anyway...great win tonight. Sundin has a 3 pts night. WOOHOO! Go Leafs Go
It's only a matter of time....he has a proven track record.

ah...the good old days....This was the beginning of the end.
Old 12-27-2005 | 10:14 PM
MSZ
Lola

It's only a matter of time....he has a proven track record.
I don't see it happening anytime soon. unlike the other coaches Pat Quinn loves him to death.
Old 12-27-2005 | 10:52 PM
MSZ
Lola

Devil in the details for Mogilny
'This is not hockey' says aching sniper

Dec. 27, 2005. 02:31 AM
DAVE FESCHUK
SPORTS COLUMNIST

When Alexander Mogilny signed a free-agent contract with the New Jersey Devils this past summer, walking away from the Maple Leafs for money clearly grown on trees, eyebrows were raised at the Devils' extravagant splurge. Mogilny was feted with a two-year deal worth about $7 million (all figures U.S.), which amounted to $3.5 million for each of the surgeries he'd endured on his arthritic right hip in the previous couple of years. And though Mogilny had only a few months earlier been heard lamenting the difficulty he'd been having performing everyday tasks — not so much skating and scoring, but sitting and standing — you had to wonder what Lou Lamoriello, the usually astute New Jersey honcho, was thinking.

Said Lamoriello: "We're comfortable that he's 100 per cent healthy."

Perhaps Lamoriello was confusing the word "healthy" with "Russian."

So far this season, Mogilny has been a healthy scratch in one game and missed four more with a concussion suffered in the November moment his chin collided with a moving puck. But while the 36-year-old veteran has been in the lineup for 31 games, he has not been in the pink.

"It's been a difficult couple of years for me, a couple of surgeries, and still I feel the effects of that every day," he said before last night's 2-1 New Jersey loss to the Leafs at the Air Canada Centre. "It's a battle every day. It's not going to go away. It stays with me.

"(But) we're all hurting in some ways. It's part of playing hockey. There's no time to recover. You go out there and play with it ... Some days it feels okay. Some days it doesn't."

Don't cry for No.89, the preternaturally gifted sharpshooter who at the height of his powers scored 76 goals in 77 games in 1992-93. Mogilny didn't only get a Gretzkyish dose of hand-eye genius along with the jet-fuelled feet of his youth; he also, on account of being injured, got paid his full $5.5. million salary during the NHL lockout.

And even on one good leg he is still a half-scary scoring threat. He had 12 goals and 25 points heading into last night's tilt, which was not to say he was a happy right winger.

He was aching. His team was struggling badly, winners of just two of their previous 10. That was at least partly because the Devils were ranked 26th in the 30-team league in the all-important category of power-play efficiency, and as if to prove their futility they went 0-for-6 with the advantage last night, at one point squandering a five-minute five-on-four, with Mogilny spending much of that unproductive time on the ice.

Said Martin Brodeur, the Canadian Olympic goalie who stopped 25 of 27 shots for the Devils: "We played a solid game but nothing to show for it, so it's definitely getting old ... I've got a lot more worries in New Jersey than the Olympics."

Mogilny, for his part, has a beef with the new-era NHL.

"I can't stand it. Can't stand it," he said. "This is not hockey, how it should be played ... It's hard to see some of the guys who played in this league for a lot of years and been successful, bring something special to this game, now they find themselves without a job and being on the bubble to just basically let them go. That's been difficult for me to watch. I'm not going to name names throughout the league."

Lamoriello wasn't naming names yesterday when it came to candidates for the coaching job he is currently occupying while also down gigs as chief executive officer, president and general manager. Ted Nolan, the one-time NHL coach of the year who's been slumming it in the junior ranks of late, probably didn't help his chances by telling the Buffalo News he'd informed the Devils of his interest.

"It's a free country," Lamoriello said yesterday when asked about Nolan's disclosure.

Indeed, junior coaches everywhere are free to put their feet in the mouths. But shooting from the hip, as Mogilny must know, can hurt.
First Stevie Y, now Alex Mogilny...

Cut this shit out guys, announce your retirement already.
Old 12-27-2005 | 11:58 PM
buy my car

Originally Posted by MSZ

as an avid hockey fan and player, i can say i feel like mogilny feels.
it's not hockey, they changed too many thing too soon. most i like, but some i don't

i have 4 season tickets to the devils and haven't been to one game, and not because of their record, i'm not a bandwagon type of guy.

it just doesn't seem like hockey to me
nowadays it's all about fans, nothing about skills
Old 12-28-2005 | 12:35 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MSZ

...and possibly add Roenick and Robitalle.
It's the "new" NHL...love it or hate it, it's gonna be here a while.
Overall I like it...things I don't like are the ticky-tack penalties behind the play, and at the play. You can barely "touch" an opposing player and draw a penalty.

Shoot-outs are :ghey:...and this from a fan whos team is 3-0 in shoot-outs.

The 1980's decade of the NHL > than the "new" NHL IMHO
Old 12-28-2005 | 01:57 AM
Senior Moderator

I dunno why I have not posted in this thread yet (I'm a big hockey fan), but better late then never right.

I agree Moog Type S,........you can barely touch someone without getting a lame penalty. I HATE SHOOTOUTS. It is just not right to decide a game in that way.
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Fuckin Maple Leafs beat us in OT..

Question. Everytime I'm in Toronto people always say they've been to Mellon Arena (Pens Arena).. Why do Leafs fans like Pittsburgh so much? Lemieux? Crosby (now)?
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:26 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Fuckin Maple Leafs beat us in OT..

Question. Everytime I'm in Toronto people always say they've been to Mellon Arena (Pens Arena).. Why do Leafs fans like Pittsburgh so much? Lemieux? Crosby (now)?
1/ Its pretty close (I'm guessing you could do it in a days drive?)
2/ Leaf fans like every city they can see their team. Seriously, we are everywhere. Any city in Canada for sure... Florida ..big time in Buffalo ... etc etc.

EDIT: I just google mapped Toronto to Pittsburgh -> 515 km (about 5 hours 48 mins). Just as close as Ottawa or Montreal for us.
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
1/ Its pretty close (I'm guessing you could do it in a days drive?)
2/ Leaf fans like every city they can see their team. Seriously, we are everywhere. Any city in Canada for sure... Florida ..big time in Buffalo ... etc etc.

Same with Steeler fans.. I was just curious if they came often to see Mario or soemthing..
Old 12-28-2005 | 10:32 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Same with Steeler fans.. I was just curious if they came often to see Mario or soemthing..
I'm sure Mario is a draw for some people. It is for me.

The other problem is that its impossible for a person to get leaf tickets here without giving up their first born child. So driving 5 or 6 hours to catch a game makes sense.
Old 12-28-2005 | 09:07 PM
giggity giggity giggity

Fly boys win at Atlanta! Anyone see that hit Richards had on Petrovicky? Omg..I would have crapped my pants.
Old 12-28-2005 | 11:30 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by HQuakers
Fly boys win at Atlanta! Anyone see that hit Richards had on Petrovicky? Omg..I would have crapped my pants.
yeah i saw that hit...wow!

as for my B's...what a joke of a game tonight...they lost 6-4 to the panthers. i dont think ive ever seen them play so sloppy in their defensive third, it seemed like they have no clue where any teammates were.
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:36 PM
MSZ
Lola

Developer hopes to bring NHL to Hartford

Associated Press

12/29/2005 3:26:09 PM

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Eight years after the Whalers left Hartford for North Carolina, a developer wants to bring another NHL team to the Connecticut capital.

Lawrence Gottesdiener is head of Northland Investment Corp., which owns $500 million US worth of property in Hartford. He would like to put the team in a $250 million arena he hopes to build.

''We've got our own money, we're willing to invest in an arena and we're willing to buy a team,'' he said. ''It would be an important entity and symbol of the city, the region and the state.''

Gottesdiener's plan calls for a publicly subsidized, 16,000-seat venue that would be home to a major hockey team. The University of Connecticut men's and women's basketball teams also would play some games there.

The new arena would replace the Hartford Civic Center under the proposal, which was announced Wednesday amid talk of the Civic Center's future.
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:40 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

16,000 sounds small for the NHL but I'm sure that can be expanded. Hopefully they get a existing team because the NHL is in no position to be expanding.

A Hamilton group is also putting a bid together to land an existing team but its believed the Leafs would want far too much money to make it possible.
Old 12-29-2005 | 03:53 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by MSZ
Developer hopes to bring NHL to Hartford
New home of the Penguins?
Old 12-29-2005 | 10:21 PM
giggity giggity giggity

This just in: Kapanen wins it again in OT. SICK GAME!!!
Old 12-30-2005 | 03:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fdl
I'm sure Mario is a draw for some people. It is for me.

The other problem is that its impossible for a person to get leaf tickets here without giving up their first born child. So driving 5 or 6 hours to catch a game makes sense.
Haha, it's so true. I remember when I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a pair of tickets for the DEVILS/LEAFS series in the playoffs like,.......4 years ago I think it was??? I could have made a fortune selling them, but there was no way that was going to happen. It was an awesome experience.

Quick Reply: Hockey: News and Discussion Thread