Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:06 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lister00169
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...442670&cc=5901

Is this guy for real??? What nerve Lampard has that he is worth more than Andriy Shevchenko?!

I mean 15 million pounds is a great contract and I just don't see how he could go for any more than that given his recent performance.

I say let the Spanish and Italian clubs over pay for this guy.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of Frank
well who's to say shevchenko should be paid more than lampard and terry?

and the 15m pounds isn't his contract. that's the transfer fee that's being being reported if he goes to juve or barca.

in all fairness though, his club performances >> country.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:14 PM
chips and smokes, lets go

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JediMindTricks
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, he did that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the 15m pounds isn't his contract. that's the transfer fee that's being being reported if he goes to juve or barca.

in all fairness though, his club performances >> country.
I agree 100% with his club performances being better than his country performance, but the man is not worth it in my opinion.

Chelsea can do better at this position.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lister00169
I agree 100% with his club performances being better than his country performance, but the man is not worth it in my opinion.

Chelsea can do better at this position.
well, i'm in the few minority that believe ballack is a better player than lampard. but when chelsea play their 4-5-1/4-3-3, lampard does a great job.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:26 AM

well torres finally signs for liverpool.

man.utd apparently will sign tevez!! pretty interesting because i've always thought tevez and rooney were near closes of each other. short and stocky. fast and strong. very skillful and powerful. ugly.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:33 PM
goldeneye style

yea, i saw that posted yesterday on numerous "questionable" futbol sites hah. i'm not sure whether to believe the tevez talk because the main source is him telling teammates he is going to sign, but even then, no actual quotes or anything... yet it is still all over the place. espnsoccernet has an article about the epl blocking the transfer unless xx requirements are met.

i remember back a while ago when he was with corinthians he showed up in a man utd t-shirt to a press conference. and i agree about the rooney/tevez combo, i'm not sure how that would work exactly. IF they do actually sign tevez (i won't believe it til he's in the jersey! hah can't get my hopes up) man utd will have some crazy formations for epl and champs league. because i don't think they can play 4-2-2 with tevez and rooney alongside each other... who knows though i could be completely wrong at this point haha. so many new players and styles coming in, fergie's got his hands full (in a good way)

i'm very interested to see how torres does in his 1st year. tevez came on strong at the end of the year so maybe he figured things out fast. i'd say most likely that torres will need at least a year (just like most other young guys) to adapt fully to the epl. also, shevchenko in his 2nd year will be interesting to watch, wonder if he's comfortable in his position now after a year
Old 07-05-2007, 02:53 PM

yea i'm really not sure what kind of formation would work. granted, there's going to be a rotation and with the number of game's they play, injuries are certain to come up. but there's a logjam at midfield and forward now. and they still need a target forward since saha is guaranteed to miss half a season as always.

and yea, tevez did come on strong at the end of the season. after the typical adjustment period and all the controversy with his transfer in the first half of the season, he really settled down and was pure class.

i'm still a little iffy on torres. i really don't think he's that great. i think he really benefitted from being a big fish in a small pond at athletico. and i think the shevchenko ordeal's a bit different becaues i realyl don't think he's all that happy at being at chelsea. he had an ideal situation going at milan. but i hope he does well just to shut his critics who conveniently forgot just how great a player he really is.

and moonraker, tell your buddy drew moore he did a good job against paraguay.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:46 PM
goldeneye style

haha i sent him an email and gave him shit because he could have scored in the last part of that game. WIDE open header, pretty much right at the keeper. must have been shocked. then he gets a yellow card 2 mins into the game tonight against colombia haha. oh well
Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 PM
Yes, he did that

I haven't seen enough of Torres to make a judgement on him just yet, but I am a bit weary of Rafa bringing in more Spanish blood. So far, only Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia have panned out.

One area I think they should look into are players from the African mainland. I saw some high lights of some games and came away very impressed.

I guess the manager looks to areas he has, or had extensive exposure to.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 PM

africa's a pool of untapped talent. the talent in ligue 1 is amazing.

one of my favorite players, stephen appiah, is reportedly moving to celtic. i hope it goes through.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
6MT G37

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How did Usa lose all 3 games?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

Originally Posted by Ruserious
We didn't send most of our star players to Copa America. Maybe because we already qualified for the 2009 Confederations Cup which the winner of Copa America will win a get another spot.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ruserious
haha i was just gonna post about copa too.

as type sun said, the big reason is we sent our B team due to several reasons:
1. our own federation's tournament, the gold cup, was played the month before copa america. we sent our full-strength team to play in that since it's a higher priority. the winner plays in the confederations cup in 2009 against italy, south africa, and the confederation's winners.
2. since we played in copa as invitees, clubs were not required to release their players to copa america.
3. our euro-based players will be joining up with their clubs later this month for pre-season.
4. it was a good test to see a lot of our youngsters and fringe players and guage what they can do.

and we also happened to be in the toughest group.

anyways, call it a disaster if you want, but i think it was successful, relatively. realistically, i don't think anyone expected to make it past the group stage. but we did learn a lot about our youngsters:

1. benny feilhaber may not be the american fabregas, but he has the chance to be the best central midfielder ever. we've been longing for a center mid that can really play both ways, hold the midfield and initiate the attacks...basically what john o'brien could have been. he has cemented his place in the starting xi. he just needs to be more consistent, and hopefully that will come with playing regularly for his club.

2. as much as i appreciate what pablo does for the team, michael bradley and ricardo clark must pass him on the depth chart at defensive mid.

3. demerit and conrad looked solid despite the goals allowed. and as much of an onyewu fan that i am, i think demerit deserves a chance to start.

4. we really didn't get anything from eddie johnson and taylor twellman at all. they'll still be a part of qualifying, but i really can't see how we can rely on them to score goals. they must be the most frustrating forward tandem i've seen. especially eddie.

5. kasey keller, please retire and take your ego with you.

6. eddie gaven needs to just stay away from the national team and work on bringing back his confidence.

7. lee nguyen: maybe it's because he's not fully recovered. but dude looks slowwww.

8. despite the losses, it's got to have been a great experience for these guys to play in hugely competitive matches, passionate crowds, and top tier opponents. it can only help them in the long run as we gear up for 2010.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM
goldeneye style

i agree about demerit, he was solid from what i saw of him. conrad i wasn't as sure of. i would like to see onyewu and demerit paired up. speed on one and size on the other in order to adapt to the diff styles of strikers they would face
Old 07-06-2007, 02:50 PM

i was wanting to see demerit and onyewu pair up during the gold cup, but i don't think demerit's really that fast. but i can't see how it's any worse than gooch and boca. i think they're too similar in style. if bornstein's really our best option at lb, then i'd like to see boca at lb and gooch/demerit in the middle.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Yes, he did that

Ukraine's Voronin completes Reds switch

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...443785&cc=5901

I just looked up some clips of this guy and he can really move between defenders. We need a Robbie Fowler esque player that can work his way past defenders without relying on the infamous Liverpool Long Ball (looks at Crouch) .
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 PM

jeez, when rafa benitez said he wants top class players, he really meant it.

looks like liverpool are on the verge of signing ryan babel for 13.5m GBP. (too bad arsenal fans)

and they signed for $4m GBP. what a steal.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:12 PM

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJxocLDfEA

jamie carragher calls in on a radio show to stand up for himself after being called a "bottler" on air.

honestly, i don't see how he can be criticized for wanting to retire internationally. i think he has every right to do so if he wants and makes a good point that by 29, if he's not holding down a starting job, playing out of position, AND being passed up by ledley king AND WES BROWN, he's not going to start at all.

not a liverpool fan, but it's really a shame because i think he's a great player. i don't believe he's better than terry, rio, or woodgate (when healthy). but he's not far behind. and he's not a "bottler" at all. when i saw liverpool make their champions league run two years ago, it was carragher that stood out the most to me. he was the heart and soul of that team and still is.

i'd take a carragher on my team anyday. :twocents:
Old 07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
6MT G37

Uruguay Vs Brazil was a GREAT game!
I was pulling for Uruguay and damn did they have a chance to win it in the penalties. Argentina needs to beat Mexico and go to the finals to seek revenge with brazil.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:41 PM

yea i was rooting for uruguay too. felt bad when i saw pablo garcia's reaction after his miss.

i never understood why refs let the keepers get off their line when trying to save a pk? doni was wayyy past the line before the ball was kicked. and why don't the players protest it?

anyways, good luck to brazil. but i'll be rooting for argentina now - hopefully la brujita can finish his career with a trophy for argentina.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
6MT G37

Yeah I wonder how Pablo must feel now. It was all him. He could've been a hero with that kick. I felt real bad right before Pablo kicked, the Uruguay team started to celebrate and when he missed oh man that sucked! I agree Doni was past the line and Im rooting for Argentina as well! I hope they can get a good win over Mexico tomorrow and take home the cup! Funny though how Brazil and Uruguay both lost their first games at the start of the cup. I honestly didnt think uruguay would make it this far but you win some you lose some. Argentina!
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, he did that

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJxocLDfEA

jamie carragher calls in on a radio show to stand up for himself after being called a "bottler" on air.

honestly, i don't see how he can be criticized for wanting to retire internationally. i think he has every right to do so if he wants and makes a good point that by 29, if he's not holding down a starting job, playing out of position, AND being passed up by ledley king AND WES BROWN, he's not going to start at all.

not a liverpool fan, but it's really a shame because i think he's a great player. i don't believe he's better than terry, rio, or woodgate (when healthy). but he's not far behind. and he's not a "bottler" at all. when i saw liverpool make their champions league run two years ago, it was carragher that stood out the most to me. he was the heart and soul of that team and still is.

i'd take a carragher on my team anyday. :twocents:

I do believe Carragher was better than the aforementioned players in his prime, but the age difference takes the comparison out of play.

Jaime should retire from the England squad since McClaren needs to build for the future world cup and the only way he will do that is to start the young players. They need to get their touches in order to improve.

I really wish that our England players would take more pride in playing for their country (looks at Lampard).
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM

better than ledley king and wes brown? or better than terry, ferdinand, and woodgate?

because he's the same age as rio but two years younger than terry and woodgate. anyhow, he made a good point when he said england misses scholes more than they'll miss carragher. i don't remember scholes getting this kind of backlash when he retired.

it's unfortunate for carragher that central defense is the deepest pool for england right now. he could pretty much step into the starting xi for almost any other side.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Yes, he did that

better than ledley king and wes brown? or better than terry, ferdinand, and woodgate?

because he's the same age as rio but two years younger than terry and woodgate. anyhow, he made a good point when he said england misses scholes more than they'll miss carragher. i don't remember scholes getting this kind of backlash when he retired.

it's unfortunate for carragher that central defense is the deepest pool for england right now. he could pretty much step into the starting xi for almost any other side.
I say he is better than Terry and Ferdinand. I like JT, but he just can't defend as well as Carragher.

Total agreement on the Scholes comment. I think the press just wants to jump on anything that can be perceived as negative when it comes to the England squad.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Brazil with Ronaldo, hopefully he can get back into shape

Man. UTD. is stacked......I havent heard anything about Real Madrid lately, who did they retain?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:35 PM
goldeneye style

madrid lost beckham and roberto carlos. they gained/are gaining saviola from barcelona. also, rumors of them getting heinze from Utd as well. and they just got metzelder from borussia dortmund. i think thats the major signings for them. oh, and a new manager (yet again) in bernd schuster. whos taking bets on when he will get sacked? haha real madrid amaze me at how fickle they are with managers
Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM

madrid also signed pepe from porto.

helguera, emerson, pavon, and salgado are almost sure to leave. who knows about julio baptista.

schuster relit the cesc rumors, but i don't think that'll happen...yet. and looks like the kaka deal is dead...for now.

as for ronaldo...i firmly take my stance on him being the best striker of this era when healthy and fit. but i think his brazil career is over now. they're taking a youth movement and there are a lot of young up and coming forwards and that's not including robinho and even adriano, who i hope regains his confidence and fitness.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 PM

looks like real resigned future captain sergio ramos to a 2 year extension and also resigned roberto soldado, who i think will be the next homegrown star.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
Can't wait for the Argentina vs. Brazil final. Which team do you guys think will win? Too bad Crespo is out, I just love watching him play.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:53 PM

can't wait for the final too. i think argentina will win.

and i felt horrible for crespo. must really suck to get injured from a pk.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:59 PM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
I think Argentina will win, too.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Im for Brazil
Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

What club is Ronaldo playing for now that he has left Real Madrid?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:09 PM

ac milan
Old 07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i was really hoping for argentina to win this because they've played amazingly well the whole tournament. the own goal by ayala pretty much put an end to the game
Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 PM

man....i was hoping for argentina to win so a lot of their veterans could have finished their international careers with a trophy.

but this was argentina's tournament to lose and they did lose pretty badly. i think they really missed crespo. they kept trying to play ball to messi and tevez's feet, but brazil were all over them.

argentina had their chances, but i agree that ayala's own goal pretty much sealed it for brazil.

and argentina's midfield were just exposed. the difference in speed in the midfield was evident. but congrats to brazil and dunga too.

and it was good to see julio baptista get a good run for the national team. where was diego?!?!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
goldeneye style

haha i remember seeing diego come in the last like 2 minutes as a sub, just to waste time before injury time. but yea, the bookies won TONS of money tonight. i took a look over at the soccer "punting" (betting) forums and everyone, i mean EVERYONE had their money on argentina... and after how they were playing all tourney, how could you not. i was surprised to see them go down, but damn.

sidenote, anybody bet on soccer anymore? seeing as how online gambling is illegal in the US? i used to last season put 5 bucks on a few EPL games since thats the league i follow most, and it can make games a bit more exciting. but since the legislation, i'm a bit leary to get back into it hah. wish i knew someone in vegas.

few preseason club games this week and then next weekend chelsea vs beckham/galaxy
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 AM

yea, i said that because this was supposed to be diego's coming out party since ronaldinho and kaka are out. but he was largely ineffective in the first couple of matches. ok with me because he was replaced by baptista.

anyhow, i don't bet on soccer. never have - in fact, i'm not much a gambler at all. but it has been intriguing over the years.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Argentina has advanced to the semi finals in the under 20 world cup. I've seen a couple game so far and they are by far the best u20 team in the world right now.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:07 PM

haven't been watching the u-20's. how has aguero been playing? too bad higuain isn't playing for them.

Quick Reply: EPL, FIFA, MLS: News and Discussion Thread