Sports Talk & Fantasy Leagues If you like men in tights, this is the spot to be!

The Blatant Racist, Golf Edition

Old 01-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Originally Posted by IlliNorge
The next two tournaments are in Hawaii, and traditionally the announcers wear only grass skirts and dance as the final groups come in. Thanks to Sharpton, you'll have to watch Nick Faldo instead.

Wait Faldo is British, maybe that's an upgrade for you?
I only understood four words in that paragraph....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Benchwarmer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
I only understood four words in that paragraph....
The next two tournaments are in Hawaii, and traditionally the announcers wear only grass skirts and dance as the final groups come in. Thanks to Sharpton, you'll have to watch Nick Faldo instead.

Wait Faldo is British, maybe that's an upgrade for you?
There's no hope for you anymore.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Go Giants

My brain hurts....
Old 01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THe real question here is, what does this thread say about what goes on in srika's head
Old 01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
All your base belong to

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Bad choice of words....but not racist.
Agreed.

Even Tiger's people said they didn't think it was racist.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Benchwarmer

I think the great majority of this board will agree it was not racist. The PGA Tour and the Golf Channel realize it's not racist. Tiger Woods (1/8th black, BTW) knows it wasn't racist. So why the hell is she disciplined? Why does the Golf Channel feel the need to bow to Al Sharpton's pressure? Because of this asshole who knows less about golf than the jet he flies around on, this girl gets a racist label for the rest of her life.

And this is how our society advances?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:49 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ZeroPSI
Agreed.

Even Tiger's people said they didn't think it was racist.

I think part of that is because Tiger is confused about his race.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by fdl
I think part of that is because Tiger is confused about his race.
Just like JJ.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol idiot
Old 01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by fdl
THe real question here is, what does this thread say about what goes on in srika's head
Old 01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

How did I miss a racism thread!

As my soul brother FDL said it might have just been a slip. But just to clear things up, a lot of people are cheap but calling a Jew cheap comes across differently. Lynching was a huge problem in the south so yes it is associated with blacks, but you are a Canuck so you might not know that. Her saying it might have been a slip but I would look into it too of someone said that.

Another slip I heard. Colbert wanted to know if Obama had crack in his exhaust pipe because the media is hooked on him. No one got upset but you heard the crowd get really quiet. You could obviously tell it was a slip.

PS I really hate the fact white people think everything is the race card. I do blame ambulance chasers like Al Sharpton for it but it seems nothing can be racist anymore and everything is pulling the race card, kind of annoying cause I know a damn good percent of this country are idiots when it comes to race on all sides.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Benchwarmer

If a black man is upset about Colbert's comment, he is conceding that blacks are crack users.

Denying Tiger membership into Seminole CC in Juno Beach is 99.9% racist. Making a stupid attempt at a funny comment about your friend Tiger over the air is 99.9% harmless.

A 2-week suspension and a racist label for life should be a shameful result in the eyes of those concerned with real racism. But Sharpton, who obviously is not concerned about true racism in this case, considers the result a victory.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Go Giants

If a black man is upset about Colbert's comment, he is conceding that blacks are crack users.

Denying Tiger membership into Seminole CC in Juno Beach is 99.9% racist. Making a stupid attempt at a funny comment about your friend Tiger over the air is 99.9% harmless.

A 2-week suspension and a racist label for life should be a shameful result in the eyes of those concerned with real racism. But Sharpton, who obviously is not concerned about true racism in this case, considers the result a victory.
Sounds right to me....
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes. If anything, he did nothing but make more people hate him, and the ones that already did hate him more.

The only thing him and Jesse Jackson are concerned with is money
Old 01-10-2008, 03:47 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

I agree the suspension was dumb and I would say 80 percent of black folks think Al Sharpton is an idiot, but I think white guilt gives him a voice. If you read black bloggers or black satirist they tend to make fun of him, jesse jackson, and black evangelical preachers.

Your crack reference is too simplistic. While I doubt anyone would be upset about colberts comments except the extreme end of the spectrum. People who don't have to deal with it tend to say "Don't give it power" basically if you didnt get upset people wouldnt say it. From personal experience its hard not to get offended by that shit. Unless I know you, like I know you guys, any reference to chicken, crack, or whatever I am going to take offense to it. Lets say we worked together and you just met me and you made a reference to me and watermelon with a little smirk on your face, reporting you to HR...LOL Fuck you!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by JJ4Short
I agree the suspension was dumb and I would say 80 percent of black folks think Al Sharpton is an idiot, but I think white guilt gives him a voice. If you read black bloggers or black satirist they tend to make fun of him, jesse jackson, and black evangelical preachers.

Your crack reference is too simplistic. While I doubt anyone would be upset about colberts comments except the extreme end of the spectrum. People who don't have to deal with it tend to say "Don't give it power" basically if you didnt get upset people wouldnt say it. From personal experience its hard not to get offended by that shit. Unless I know you, like I know you guys, any reference to chicken, crack, or whatever I am going to take offense to it. Lets say we worked together and you just met me and you made a reference to me and watermelon with a little smirk on your face, reporting you to HR...LOL Fuck you!
White guilt? Yeah, I suppose. That's hardly comforting for those that actually had grandparents lynched in the south. All the ridicule that Sharpton gets from all shades of people, and he still has the power to suspend someone else's employee. Not good.

Hey, if you're holding a watermelon on your first day, you're fair game. In fact, I'm going to search your desk for mirrors and your trash for ribs and chicken bones for the whole first month.

But I will pick you first at the company basketball game.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, Tiger is only half black, so at most, it's only kinda, sorta racist.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:53 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

White guilt? Yeah, I suppose.

But I will pick you first at the company basketball game.
Its the most uncomfortable shit when white people try to make small talk with me about stuff they think I would like. Soul Food is one of those. My parents are Jamaican I have no idea about soul food. White people should just be themselves and not feel like they have to relate to me.

you'd lose horribly I ran cross country never played basketball I suck @ teh blak
Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM
on to the next one...

Tiger OK with 'lynch' remark, but Sharpton ready for battle

...But Sharpton, who obviously is not concerned about true racism in this case, considers the result a victory.
Oh, no he doesn't. That's not enough!

Originally Posted by CNN
Tiger OK with 'lynch' remark, but Sharpton ready for battle
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/10/til...ods/index.html

....But Sharpton says it is the word -- not the person or their history -- that matters. In a Wednesday interview, he compared Tilghman's statement to calling for a woman to be raped or for a Jewish-American to be sent to a gas chamber. Video Watch why Sharpton thinks apologies are insufficient »

"Lynching is not murder in general. It is not assault in general. It is a specific racial term that this woman should be held accountable for," the reverend said. "What she said is racist. Whether she's a racist -- whether she runs around at night making racist statements -- is immaterial."

Sharpton said he wants Tilghman fired, period. And if the Golf Channel doesn't comply, the network can expect to see Sharpton and his National Action Network supporters picketing its Orlando, Florida, headquarters....
Old 01-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Benchwarmer

Here is Sharpton's press release verbatim:

Reverend Al Sharpton calls for Golf Channel Broadcaster Kelly Tilghman to be fired or he will pickett (sic) the Golf Channel for employing him.
If Al Sharpton is the model for blacks, it's a wonder this country isn't more racist.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,997 Likes on 5,143 Posts
I don't generally agree with Sharpton's stances but he did make a good distinction in the interview when he said that the problem here is not that SHE said it - but that she said it over public airwaves. Watch the video in that CNN link if you haven't already.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

The problem is, if incidents like this are allowed to happen without any "stir" or any reaction from anyone, it makes incidents like this closer to becoming "accepted" by society - and it will keep going down that road to the point where the people that this DOESN'T directly affect will no longer care about this nor have any concern about it - whereas the people it DOES potentially affect will have no voice. What do you think about that?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by srika
The problem is, if incidents like this are allowed to happen without any "stir" or any reaction from anyone, it makes incidents like this closer to becoming "accepted" by society - and it will keep going down that road to the point where the people that this DOESN'T directly affect will no longer care about this nor have any concern about it - whereas the people it DOES potentially affect will have no voice. What do you think about that?
Is it an incident or a mistake? I've got no problem if it creates a stir, I've got a problem with an ignorant egomaniac throwing his weight around and ruining this girl's reputation. And over what? A mistake.

So who did this actually affect? Maybe a small portion of southern black golfers who watch the Golf Channel? You do realize that the "incident" occurred Friday and nothing was said by Sharpton, et al until it was published in the news on Sunday. You also realize that this girl has been directly compared to Donald Imus, a man who gets paid to make inflaming statements.

This was not a racist comment, but an insensitive comment. It was not hateful, but stupid. If the "voice" you speak of is of misdirected outrage, then I don't want to hear it.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I think ultimately, this should have been ignored.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
on to the next one...

Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Benchwarmer

Ignored? I don't think so. It was a stupid comment that should have drawn a out of viewers both black and white. In today's society you just can't get away with saying that. But it should have been handled privately by her company, just like any normal mistake at some local news channel.

I'll say it one more time and then I'll let it go: Sharpton and his group are asses.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Ignored? I don't think so. It was a stupid comment that should have drawn a out of viewers both black and white. In today's society you just can't get away with saying that. But it should have been handled privately by her company, just like any normal mistake at some local news channel.

I'll say it one more time and then I'll let it go: Sharpton and his group are asses.
thanks - that gives me some hope for the future of human society.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

At the time this thread was created, I had not seen the video - you really need to see the video to get an understanding of the air in which it was made. So, I was reacting to a text-only article - and you know how well text conveys emotion and nuance. Also, I didn't know she was friends with Woods. I probably wouldn't have created this thread, had I known those things.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Contagious

My only question is, who the hell watches the golf channel anyway?

Seriously, it was a slip. Poor choice of words, nothing more nothing less. Tiger doesn't care , and it was directed at him, so why should we? This is the problem with our society, we worry about the stupid small shit like this. Don't we have bigger problems to worry about?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by CCns24
My only question is, who the hell watches the golf channel anyway?

Seriously, it was a slip. Poor choice of words, nothing more nothing less. Tiger doesn't care , and it was directed at him, so why should we? This is the problem with our society, we worry about the stupid small shit like this. Don't we have bigger problems to worry about?
But that's the thing here: "we" don't worry about the stupid small shit. Special interest groups like Sharpton and the Rainbow Coalition worry about this. But, somehow (blackmail) these guys get results. They amount to very dangerous lobbyists against American corporations.

Sometime, Google the name Tawana Brawley to get a measure of Al Sharpton's character. Then research Jesse Jackson's 1982 Budweiser boycott in St. Louis to get a measure of his character.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Big White Chocolate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Then research Jesse Jackson's 1982 Budweiser boycott in St. Louis to get a measure of his character.
Screw that. Google Jesse Jackson and Jeff Fort.