Get your Headlights Cleared

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:08 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Thumbs up Get your Headlights Cleared

Here is an opportunity for all you guys/girls who want their factory headlights cleared (amber part taken out), smoked or color matched (plastic non-functional part of the inner headlight painted to match the body color). My work comes with a limited warranty against fogging and leaking. If my provided headlights leak or fog I will be more than happy to take care of the issue, although I have cleared more than 30 sets and have not had any such issues. Also i have sold around 5 sets on the board without any issues.

Details (skip this part if you are only interested in knowing the cost)

With all the basic difficulties and issues that people run into when clearing their headlights the main issue is leaking and fogging. Well a lot of people can successfully open their headlights to clear them but it’s the putting them back part that is tedious than most of you would think. Over the years people have used silicone to put the headlight back together.
Most people use the usual adhesive silicone to put the headlights together which can be found at your local hardware and or auto store. The problem with adhesive silicone is that it has a nasty fume, which is not only toxic but also can cause fogging inside the headlight, which sometimes can be confused with fogging due to leakage or improper sealing. Another problem with using adhesive silicone is its property to adhere. Compared to the factory silicone which can easily be removed by applying heat adhesive silicone can not be easily removed. If you use adhesive silicone and you run into leakage or fogging you will need to reseal the headlight and once you try to open it up it wont be as simple as it was with the factory silicone. So the bottom line is to avoid adhesive silicone at all cost, only do it if you think you will not be opening the headlight later.

Now, there is another way of doing this, by using non adhesive sealing silicone. This is the type II silicone. This silicone doesn’t have the nasty fume that the adhesive silicone has but can be used to seal the headlights. The problem with this type of silicone is that it doesn’t adhere. If you use this type of silicone you will need to use clamps, these clamps can be bought from the local home depot etc. But the problem is that you would need to leave the headlights with clamp on them for at least 2 to 3 days. I know that this silicone doesn’t sound very promising so I wouldn’t suggest it. So that takes both of these silicones out of the equation.
Avoiding these two I use Nissan’s Butyl Rubber. This is the same stuff that auto makers use to seal the headlights. It basically is silicone but it comes in a roll. Although expensive, anywhere from $25 to $30 depending on where you get it from, it is the best stuff out there for this particular purpose and a pair of headlights usually needs one roll.

Before resealing the headlights I take out almost 99% of the old silicon and this part of the clearing process is the most time consuming and can take any where from 2 to 3 hours. By taking out the old silicone I make sure that the new butyl rubber sets in well and hold on tight to the lens.

I will be offering this service for all generations of TL, CL and TSX. With these cars the ballasts are usually mounted on the bottom of the headlight and they use a foam washer to create a seal between the ballast and the headlights. Once you take the ballast off the headlight that seal is not usable any more since it is suppose to be only used once. You can use rubber washers from your local hardware store to replace them but I will provided each of my cleared headlights with a pair of custom made foam washers that are guaranteed to hold their shape for 25 years. Some times the issue is not poor silicone application but a faulty washer when it comes to fogging. A bad seal might end up costing you a whole lot of dough by blowing your ballast.

Factory Washer taken off the ballast notice the impression left by the headlight

Provided foam washer

Notice the difference

Cost*

Clearing $150.00

Blacking out headlights $160.00

Prices are FIRM, don’t waste your time and mine by haggling.

* Cost does not include shipping expense; the owner will be responsible for shipping expense on my end as well.

Some of my work

I will be posting more pictures as time passes by.

I know it’s hard for you guys to take the headlights off of your car and then be without the car until you get them back so I suggest you buy an extra pair and send it to me. Depending on how clogged up I am with work, it can take any where from a week to two before you get your headlights back.

PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A MECHANIC SO PLEASE DON’T ASK ME IF I CAN WORK ON YOUR CAR I.E. IF YOU CAN DRIVE DOWN TO WHERE I AM AT AND I CAN TAKE THE LIGHTS OFF OF YOUR CAR, CLEAR THEM AND PUT THEM BACK ON.

Also note, from time to time I will be posting cleared pairs of headlights from TL, CL and TSX in the black market section that is if I have an extra pair. If you can not find the time and can not afford to take the headlights off of your car and send them to me and be without your car for a couple of weeks then get in touch with me, I’ll see if I if i have a pair that i can clear/smoke and sell you.

Contact
The best way to get in touch with me is email or PM here on Acurazine.
Email: rook786@aol.com
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Trade-In Program

Due to the fact that many people don’t have an extra car and can not afford to be without their own car for a week or two, I am introducing the trade in program. I only have 04~05 TSX, 02~03 TL and 04~05 TL headlights in stock as of now but will be getting CL headlights in soon as well, when I do I will update this thread. So for now this trade in program is only for 02-03 TL, 04-05 TL and 04-05 TSX owners.

If you are interested in getting your headlights cleared/smoked and have any of the above mentioned vehicles then here is how it works.

1) Buyer contacts me stating what you want done to the headlights.
2) Buyer pays me the total cost of clearing/smoking the headlights, cost of the actual headlights and cost of me shipping them to you.
3) After receiving the payment I’ll ship the headlights out to you.
4) Once you get the headlights you install them on your car and ship your old ones back to me.
5) Once I receive your old headlights I’ll refund the cost of headlights to the buyer.

This way the buyer will get a set of cleared/smoked headlights and there will be no down time i.e. he/she will not be without their car for prolonged period of time.

Cost.

02-03 TL

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $315.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $325.00*
Refund amount: $ 150.00

04-05 TL

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $465.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $475.00*
Refund amount: $ 300.00

04-05 TSX

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $415.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $425.00*
Refund amount: $ 250.00

*Payments will be for Actual cost of the headlights + labor + Raw materials + fixed shipping cost of $15 to lower 48 states.

Also note, the headlights I’ll be sending you would be in pristine condition unless otherwise stated. I expect the headlights coming back to me in the same condition if not better. So it would be better if buyer sends me a few pictures of their current headlights prior to committing to the terms, ciao.

JnC
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 PM
2010 WDP TL Tech

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Are headlights you send in the exchange program new? I have a 2006 TL with 1700 miles so I would hate to get old headlights i.e ones off a 2004 or 2005.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used your Nissan rubber idea from your original thread and the stuff does work.Two months now and no leaking or fogging.I only paid $30 also from the link,thanks.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:14 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by maxAmillion
Are headlights you send in the exchange program new? I have a 2006 TL with 1700 miles so I would hate to get old headlights i.e ones off a 2004 or 2005.

The pictures above should tell the story. They are not brand new out of the box but are in pristine condition.

Originally Posted by Phesto
I used your Nissan rubber idea from your original thread and the stuff does work.Two months now and no leaking or fogging.I only paid $30 also from the link,thanks.
Yes sir, I used it on the headlights i have on my car right now and they have been on there for about 9 months now, may be even more and no fogging and no leaking issues so far. Make sure you change the washer that goes around the ballast if you dont want to run into leaking issues from down there .
Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JnC
Yes sir, I used it on the headlights i have on my car right now and they have been on there for about 9 months now, may be even more and no fogging and no leaking issues so far. Make sure you change the washer that goes around the ballast if you dont want to run into leaking issues from down there .
hey good idea,I never thought that would be an issue......but with rainy season for us almost here, I'm gonna check that out.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:31 AM
- Doc

Originally Posted by JnC
Trade-In Program

Due to the fact...

snip

1) Buyer contacts...

snip

This way the buyer...

snip

Cost.

02-03 TL

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $315.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $325.00*
Refund amount: $ 150.00

04-05 TL

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $465.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $475.00*
Refund amount: $ 300.00

04-05 TSX

Initial payment for cleared headlights: $415.00*
Initial payment for blacked out headlights: $425.00*
Refund amount: $ 250.00

*Payments will be for...

snip

...ciao.

JnC
Any chance of doing the 03+ Accord coupe headlamps?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:45 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by papiowhisperer
Any chance of doing the 03+ Accord coupe headlamps?
Not for trade in since i dont have a set sitting here to ship out to you. I can clear them no problem but for that you wouuld have to send them in.

It has been brought to my attention about the new style clear/black headlights for the 04-06 TL. If someone is interested in them then here are some pictures.

Originally Posted by ding069

Old 09-17-2006, 05:16 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can we buy the butyl rubber and washer from you? i really want to DIY. PM me or whatever.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:18 AM
- Doc

Originally Posted by JnC
Not for trade in since i dont have a set sitting here to ship out to you. I can clear them no problem but for that you wouuld have to send them in.

It has been brought to my attention about the new style clear/black headlights for the 04-06 TL. If someone is interested in them then here are some pictures.
I have a set of OEM headlamps as well as
a set of the EBAY Angel Eye projectors.

Can you retrofit the OEM lamps HID
w/ smoked lens, painted flat blackhousing?
What else can you do to help these parts?
Can you improve upon the angel eye looks
or design, especially the light output?

Last edited by papiowhisperer; 09-18-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Here is what the TSX Cleared headlights look like, not only do i rid the amber corner defuser but the center turn signal defuser as well, dont they just look aeons better than stock headlights, dare i say even better than the JDM ones .

Last edited by JnC; 09-20-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:21 PM
www.grounded4life.org

do u have any pics of color matched headlights n any pics of cleared 99-01 tl headlights
Old 09-20-2006, 04:36 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
that does look sick, how difficult is it to remove the headlights and reinstall them?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jiggaman
that does look sick, how difficult is it to remove the headlights and reinstall them?
Hudson huh? Well if you want them i got the above pictured set sitting here, drive your car down here, set up an apt with a local body shop. I'll provide the lights they can take the old ones off and put the new ones on. I'll take the old ones off of yourhands and you'll pay me the clearing charges and off you go. The money you save in shipping can be used to pay for gas :p.

P.S. You just need to be aware of how to work a few basic toolsto get the bumper and the lights off.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 AM
- Doc

Originally Posted by JnC
Hudson huh? Well if you want them i got the above pictured set sitting here, drive your car down here, set up an apt with a local body shop. I'll provide the lights they can take the old ones off and put the new ones on. I'll take the old ones off of yourhands and you'll pay me the clearing charges and off you go. The money you save in shipping can be used to pay for gas :p.

P.S. You just need to be aware of how to work a few basic toolsto get the bumper and the lights off.
Very, very nice work. The man's an artist.
You got real skilz. I bet your a great
body man too.

I could get a set of OEM quality.
amber side, black housing 05 gen 7
Accord lamps off to you tomorrow.

Have you done any TL or RSX retrofits
with projectors from other manufacturers
h/l assemblies? Or assemblies from other
cars besides Honda/Acuras? HIDs?
The reason I ask is this.
If you ever take a vacation over
here you could make some serious
money. I could line up more joibs
than you could handle in a week, before
you even arrived.

While you're here,
maybe you could lookat this dent
in my trunklid...

Again, nice work.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:42 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Very, very nice work. The man's an artist.
You got real skilz. I bet your a great
body man too.

I could get a set of OEM quality.
amber side, black housing 05 gen 7
Accord lamps off to you tomorrow.

Have you done any TL or RSX retrofits
with projectors from other manufacturers
h/l assemblies? Or assemblies from other
cars besides Honda/Acuras? HIDs?
The reason I ask is this.
If you ever take a vacation over
here you could make some serious
money. I could line up more joibs
than you could handle in a week, before
you even arrived.

While you're here,
maybe you could lookat this dent
in my trunklid...

Again, nice work.

Haha, yeah i know what you mean man. There is a huge market for retrofiting. I have done a few but most of them were for either friends or i fixed old ones. THe problem with projectors is aiming. Not only do I have to worry about the projectors being aimed properly horizontally and vertically i also have to worry about the cut off lin being parrallel to the ground. Check out this link on aiming Link

Thats the reason why i only do retros wheni have the car available here. That way i can do the proper adjustments etc while the headlights are still open and before i seal them back together. Most retrofitters drill four holes and stick in a projector and to most people who dont know the trickyness of aiming the projectors and who are upgrading form reflector setup, it doesnt seem weird. But over time it gets annoying. Any how, i am trying to figure out a way to retrofit where people can adjust headlights in all three dimenssions horizontally, vertically and rotation of the projector for proper aiming of the cut off line. Once i do figure that out, i'll post updates on the board.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:42 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by JnC

oh damn, i didn't even notice where you were located, sweet. i might take you up on that offer. just need to find a day to do it, i doubt many shops would want to do that on a saturday. do you have a website?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm quite interested in TSX as well. PM me on details?
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
I'm quite interested in TSX as well. PM me on details?
All the details are in the thread. If you are ready to go for the trade in program then PM me and i will give you the details as to how to proceed with payment and info on how soon you can get your headlights..

P.S the picutres dont do the headlights any justice. They were taken right after i was done clearing them thats why the lense has fingerprint marks on the outside. I will take better day time pictures today and will post them later.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 133 Posts
+1

would like to see pics of them on the car
Old 09-21-2006, 06:53 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
I LOVE MY TL

WOw that look soo hot...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Let me know when you get 06 tsx headlight. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:00 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Let me know when you get 06 tsx headlight. Thanks.
I spoke to sunny side acura this afternoon, the parts guy told me that the headlights have different part number i.e. the headlights are different. The main difference is the parking light defuser. I also got told that the part where the headlight bolts on is the same in 06 as in 04 and 05. I will be getting an 06 here within the next week or so and will be test fitting a pair, will keep you 06ers posted
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

I must be tired or something, but there are two different prices. One says 150 cleared/160 smoked, and the other one says a specific price for the specific car.

I'm retarded so elaborate for me please.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Team Owner

If it's only 150, I'll be all over this when he gets 06's.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:37 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

I must be tired or something, but there are two different prices. One says 150 cleared/160 smoked, and the other one says a specific price for the specific car.

I'm retarded so elaborate for me please.
Prices are pretty simple.
For me to just take out the amber parts in the headlights it will be $150 + the shipping cost from my end. Smoke would be when i would have to paint the non-funtioning part of the headlights black, thats when the price would be $160. In the trade-in program the prices show the cost of the headlights+cost of me shipping to you and a flat shipping rate of $15.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:49 AM
I LOVE MY TL

i have a 06 tl and i only want the 06 headlighht on my car not a 05 04..is there anyways u can get a 06 headlight?
how far are you from rockingham mall?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ViNhXoNxAcuraTL
i have a 06 tl and i only want the 06 headlighht on my car not a 05 04..is there anyways u can get a 06 headlight?
how far are you from rockingham mall?
I am on the Cape, about 100 miles from Salem, NH. As far as 06 headlights, even though the part numbers are differnet but i cant tell the difference. I have been to the local Acura dealer and looked at preowned 04 TLs and also at the new 06 TLs. Asthetically i dont see a difference, may be it has something to do with the electricals. I will try to take pictures and then compare them with the 04 and 05 headlights that i have sitting here with me. Also my supplier cant tell the difference between the headlights either, he usually lists them as 04-06 headlights. Any how if i get any updates i'll let you know because there are a few 06 TLers that want this done through the trade in program. Cant you just send me your headlights? Or bring them down here and i'll be more than happy to clear them in a day and you can take them back with you. I would need atleast 5 hours between the time you deliver them to the time you pick them up thou, do let me know if thats feasible for you, ciao.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:58 PM
I spend 2 much time here

got these put on today and they look sick and for 150 bux much better deal than paying 600 for JDM. just make sure to order some different blinker bulbs and side marker bulbs when you do this too as the oem ones are clear and light up white without the reflectors being there. i ordered some chrome colored bulbs that light up amber when turned on. that way i wont get pulled over. pics were taken and will be put up soon...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I LOVE MY TL

i dont know who gonna remove the headlight off my car when i get to your place and who will put it back on for me...if u can get a 06 headlight let me know i will get mine done clear/black headlights
Old 09-26-2006, 01:18 AM
- Doc

Hi JnC,

You would be providing a great service to me
and the general public by laying your hands
upon my cars's stock headlamps. I'd like you
to flat-black the housing, remove the amber
reflector and smoke the lens. Please don't
forget that extra special lovin' that imparts
the jewel-like appearance characteristic of
your work.
Please allow me to commission you to resurrect
my 2005 Accord coupe headlights. I could
get them to UPS tomorrow and Paypal you
whenever you like. PM me your paypal,
postal, email and phone number. I'll follow
up with a phone call in the next few days.

Last edited by papiowhisperer; 09-26-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:09 AM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey,

This guys the real deal. I got some headlights 03 headlights from him and they were put together perfectly; no leaks, no condensation, no hassle.

I put them on over the weekend and got my suspension installed too. I'll post pics for you soon JNC.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Hi JnC,

You would be providing a great service to me
and the general public by laying your hands
upon my cars's stock headlamps. I'd like you
to flat-black the housing, remove the amber
reflector and smoke the lens. Please don't
forget that extra special lovin' that imparts
the jewel-like appearance characteristic of
your work.
Please allow me to commission you to resurrect
my 2005 Accord coupe headlights. I could
get them to UPS tomorrow and Paypal you
whenever you like. PM me your paypal,
postal, email and phone number. I'll follow
up with a phone call in the next few days.
PM me.

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
Hey,

This guys the real deal. I got some headlights 03 headlights from him and they were put together perfectly; no leaks, no condensation, no hassle.

I put them on over the weekend and got my suspension installed too. I'll post pics for you soon JNC.
Thanks Pat, do post pictures when you get a chance.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:10 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

TSX Cleared headlights Installed

Old 09-27-2006, 08:19 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

02-03 Acura TL Headlights A-Spec/Cleared

PM me for details.

These particular ones are for member cubanlinx

Old 09-27-2006, 03:50 PM
B A N N E D

this vendor does great work on headlights and fast shipping bought a pair from him a couple months ago and no problems with the headlights whatsoever... keep up the great work jack n coke !
Old 09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Is there any way you could replace the amber diffuser with a clear diffuser?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:46 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AMGala
Is there any way you could replace the amber diffuser with a clear diffuser?
Rick from rickss2k.com use to make them and they use to go for $100 or so, i think he stopped making them or else i can easily replace the amber one for the clear one. IMHO clear is the way to go instead of replacing the old one with the white one.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Here you go JNC!

Shoot me a PM if you want higher quality photos. I scaled them down for the forums.

Quick Reply: Get your Headlights Cleared