ghetto fender roll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 04:25 AM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
ghetto fender roll?

BAT method? I know this thread is old, but anyone ever try this?(link here) and end successfully w/out cracked paint?

I feel sorta confident about attempting this.. esp since I have(/can get a hold of) the tools. Cant beat a free roll, right?

Anyone willing to experiment with me? Or am I gna have to fly solo on this one?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Drifting

ok for those who cant see nasioc...

First, I've seen a ton of crazy methods for rolling your fender. I watched all the youtube videos of some guy messing it up with a floor jack handle, to some crazy asian going at his pink honda with a ball point hammer, to some guys wedging a bat between the wheel and fender and then driving slowly.

I've even tried making my own contraption out of a skateboard wheel...

So let's get to how to do it the right way. (by right way I mean it will cost you nothing, won't leave any marks, and will look like the results from the expensive fender roller)

You will need:
-wooden baseball bat
-heat gun
-wheel wedges (or whatever stops your car from rolling away)

Steps:
- raise your car a little bit and tear off the rubber modling. Should come right off
- make sure you can barely fit the bat between the wheel and the fender
- heat the area a little where you will be working
- put the bat underneath and put a little pressure on the handle. You should see the fender edge bend up a little bit (1mm or so)
- go all the way around the bending the edge a little bit
- keep the area you're working on hot to prevent the paint from cracking.
- once you got it started, raise the car a little bit, and do it again bending the lip in another 1mm
- you can see where this is going... keep doing this until the car is all the way in the air and you got the lip bent in as far as possible.
- if you need to bend the lip in further, turn around and use the handle. Place the handle against the bent lip and put pressure on the head of the bat to push the lip towards the fender even further. At this point, it's a good idea to have the ebrake off and the car out of gear so your wheel can rotate freely. Doign this will allow you to get a nice smooth edge on the bent lip.

-just do it slowly and you'll get great result. Take your time and do a little bit at a time. It should take you at least 30min per corner if you want to do a good job.

Here are the illustrations:

A mspaint summary

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
getting started

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.
a little higher

all the way up

using the handle

finished
don't mind the scratch. that came from the skateboardwheel attempt. I slipped...
Old 05-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
i've heard the bat method doesn't push the fender all the way up and tucked, instead it leaves the fender kinda like this \| when you really want it like this |. at least it'll help with rubbing issues, not suitable for hellaflush tho :|
Old 05-19-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
pay 50 bux and get it done correctly... my advice...

cuz if you have money to purchase suspensions, rims that are too wide for your car, and tires, then you can certainly spend 50 bux to get it rolled correctly.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
^+1
Old 05-19-2011, 04:17 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
I got my quarter pannels rolled first, but not completely flat. One day I decided to go lower and found that my quarter pannels were sitting on my tires, so I had to roll it somehow. Drove to my friends house, he took the jack extension piece and we rolled my quarter pannels a bit. It definitely did the trick, but wasn't 100% even. If you looked under you could see little waves. Then I decided to get new wheels and the only way they would fit was if I cut my quarter pannels, so I ended up doing that I only paid 40 bucks for the roll, ghetto roll was free, and cutting was free.

Just be forewarned- if you decide to get super aggressive wheels later, it's going to be hard to cut the pannels.

Get it professionally rolled, or get it cut.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:35 PM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would pay for the professional method.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Drifting

damn you guys burst my bubble..

I was on a ghetto-roll high last night.. i'll sit on it summore lol
Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
I went with pliers and a towel to get my front fenders to be completely flat. I have a few buddies that have done the baseball bat method with success. I think my cousin is gonna do his soon on his accord if he hasn't done so already.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
you can roll the rears a little bit using that method carefully but like others have said you wont get the max roll out of it using a bat....if you only need a little room and are barely rubbing you can do this and you would be fine... but if you go aggressive like others have said you will need to roll completely or cut off the inner wall tab like i had done on mine... now no rub no matter what i hit... cutting the inside is easy too just get your hands on a 4" angle grinder and a metal blade just make sure you haven't had too many red bulls so your hands aren't shaky
Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Drifting

^ive worked w/ angle grinders before... but really scared i'd slip and there goes my fking fender lol

This DIY is so freakin easy but at the same time so hard (because im changing somethin on the car permanently) lol maybe i'll do it when i get wheels
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
yea i mean you can roll the rears a lil using the bat method the tl fenders are pretty stiff in the rear to roll but you will get a little extra clearance out of it.

yea the angle grinder is the way to go just go slow and smooth