Coolant spray!! Help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant spray!! Help please

Hello Acurazine, a brief history on my TL. Bought my 02 about 2 years ago with 240xxx(yes I know) but in very good shape for a 15 yr old car. Seller had records of all maintenance done.
Fast forward to about 4 months ago, battery and column ignition cylinder(could not turn) was replaced.
About a month ago, I had coolant spray all over engine compartment and top hose(radiator cap to recovery tank cap) had a small leak so I replaced it. A week later it happened again and noticed recovery tank cap had a slight crack so I replaced that. Today I see spray again and can’t seem to find where this one might be coming from. It looks like from the new cap but no cracks at all. The plastic elbow seems a little loose. Was there supposed to be an o ring within the recovery cap? Any insight appreciated.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
The over flow tank and hose is not under pressure so it needs to contract and expand as the coolant moves from the pressure side to the non-pressure over flow tank side. So no clamp on the over flow hose... Non-pressure side.

What's important is the siphon hose is attached to the over flow cap snuggle. Likewise, for the over flow hose to the radiator. If it's not snug/tight on these hoses then the coolant in the over flow tank it can't replenish the radiator/cooling system by siphoning from the over flow tank.

To correct your problem you should replace the radiator cap and thermostat. However, given the age of the car I would replace the radiator too. Radiator very reasonable at Rockauto.

Be sure to burp the cooling system.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 01acls
The over flow tank and hose is not under pressure so it needs to contract and expand as the coolant moves from the pressure side to the non-pressure over flow tank side. So no clamp on the over flow hose... Non-pressure side.

What's important is the siphon hose is attached to the over flow cap snuggle. Likewise, for the over flow hose to the radiator. If it's not snug/tight on these hoses then the coolant in the over flow tank it can't replenish the radiator/cooling system by siphoning from the over flow tank.

To correct your problem you should replace the radiator cap and thermostat. However, given the age of the car I would replace the radiator too. Radiator very reasonable at Rockauto.

Be sure to burp the cooling system.
BTW, I'm assuming your rad fans are working properly. Which you did not disclose.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:33 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for your input. I don’t have any clamps on both ends of the hose(snug fit). And as far as the radiator, it was fairly new when I got the TL. I will certainly change the rad cap and possibly the thermostat as well. For the thermostat, do I change the whole component or just replace the gate? And yes the fans are operating perfectly.
Again all replies are appreciated
Old 12-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Follow the upper radiator hose to the aluminum thermostat housing, which is held on by two 10mm bolts. Inside is the thermostat.

Thermostat has a spring, vent hole/pin, and a gasket. Spring side faces the engine side, pin orientation on top, O-ring gasket straddles both sides of the thermostat perimeter- also, it's pegged.

If the parts guy gives you a O-ring that only seals on one side of the thermostat then that's the wrong parts.

Napa sells the OEM thermostat and O-ring for around $40.

See the pegged O-ring on top but not required. It can just be round without the pegging. Also note the pin in the upper/top position.

BTW, replace the thermostat and O-ring and be done with it. Better to be safe the risk blowing a head gasket.

Also when burping the radiator you need to open the heater valve by setting the heater temperature to full hot with the climate control on.

Last edited by 01acls; 12-02-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:30 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not sure if you found it yet, but I had a thin rubber coolant line crack and leaked all over. It was located on the engine just under the throttle body area. It was not my heater hose, but close to it.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM
10th Gear

Thank you I will definitely look into it