Invalid Street Number

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 07:11 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Invalid Street Number

I am adding an address in the address book, but the Nav menu will not allow a valid street number. The street number has been in use for over 30 years. How do I override the Nav menu?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Just find a nearby address. For example. If 12345 Main Street is not in the address book, try 12346 Main Street. I heard that the address book is only about 90% complete. Rural addresses and street changes make this a more than full time job to get all the info.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
You will find Your Navigation has many flaws.I was recently on a newly completed highway ,and it said I was off the road.There is a lake, north of Me, that is not on the map.Nor is the road that goes around it,I use WAZE on My smartphone most of the time .
Old 11-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 408 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by WWolfe-001
I am adding an address in the address book, but the Nav menu will not allow a valid street number.
I've experienced that. I have to say my Garmin GPSes that I have are far more advanced including my hand-held hiking models. If any car company that supplies a navigation system in their cars were with it, they'd have a SD slot in them so that you can upload Gamin maps and not be held hostage to their system.

Who is the supplier for Acura nav mapping?
Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
What I found interesting is that there have been no updates for the maps in my 2016 RDX (AFAIK). As a result of this, the streets in a recently built subdivision do not appear on my in-vehicle maps, nor am I allowed to enter any addresses which are located in that subdivision.

On the other hand, it appears that the maps used in the AcurLink system have been updated, since addresses in that new subdivision can be located when I perform an address search in the smartphone App.

When I select one of these new addresses in AcuaLink and send it to my RDX, the RDX offers to take me there the next time I start the engine. It will provide normal guidance until I reach a point on the in-vehicle map where the street ends. My destination could still be a kilometer away, and it is shown as a destination marker in the middle of nowhere, but the system can only bring me to the closest road that it know about.

From observation it appears that AcurLink sends the latitude and longitude of the destination (rather than 123 Maple St.) to the RDX, and the NAV system can navigate towards that point, despite the actual address not being available to it internally. In a pinch I suppose I could just drive around the subdivision, trying to get closer to the destination marker, until I found the proper street and then house number. It's inconvenient, but not as inconvenient as being lost.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
On the other hand, it appears that the maps used in the AcurLink system have been updated, since addresses in that new subdivision can be located when I perform an address search in the smartphone App.
A bit off topic Rick. I know I have this feature, but what exactly, in point form, does AcuraLink all do? I went to the Acura.ca site that lacks an all-out explanation.

And although I have a Smartphone, I am not wired when away from my home router. So will the App work? I doubt it since I take it you need internet service on your phone, or ??? And I take it the App is for an Android and Apple phone only, not Windows.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tech
exactly, in point form, does AcuraLink all do? I went to the Acura.ca site that lacks an all-out explanation..
You can find a description of what the 3 different AcuraLink tiers off at this LINK. And a YouTube video demonstrating the features of the phone app

Here is a summary, and a description of why I have found it useful.

1)The Standard Package.... will keep your navigation system updated with current traffic conditions. This information will show roads on the map display to be either green or red depending on traffic conditions. The system can also automatically re-route you if road conditions change after you have already started your trip. This package also allows you to search for destinations on your smart-phone and send them to you vehicle's nav system so that your nav system can begin guidance as soon as you restart it. It also allows access to audio streams using your smart-phones data connection

2) The Connect Package....Adds "Virtual Vehicle" which will allow you to remotely lock or unlock the doors, flash the lights, or sound the horn. You can also examine the fuel level in the tank, estimated distance to empty, remaining oil life, and tire pressures. It should be understood that the vehicle information retrieved from the vehicle will show what existed when the vehicle was last shutdown, and it will not be current. So for example if the tire pressures were all 35 PSI when the vehicle was shutdown, AcuraLink will retrieve 35 PSI even though all 4 tires may have been slashed since you parked the vehicle. This package also includes 911 notifications if your vehicle is involved in an accident.

3) The Premium Package.... Adds a 24-7 real person to assist you. The assistant can ream emails and tests, he can make hotel and restaurant reservations, and send directions directly to your Nav system.

You are correct that the app will not work without an Internet connection. I have a Pay-As-Go cell phone plan for $10/month which does not include data, but I can still access AcuraLink over Wi-Fi. As far as I know, AcuraLink was available via a web browser when I first purchased my RDX, but I don't think that is available any longer, and therefore AcuraLink is not accessible via Windows.

I have purchased the Connect Package. It has been great for travelling on Highway 400 which has become famous for all the accidents which shut it down for 12 hours at a time. If I leave Toronto to head home I can check for any "traffic incidents" before committing myself to the 400.

When travelling out of town I like the ability to send destinations from my hotel room directly to the nav system (using the hotels free Wi-Fi). When I get out to my RDX I am immediately ready to drive to the destination without spending time programming an address in the vehicle. I can also check my fuel levels from inside to determine if I can get to my destination without refueling.

The great thing about my Pay-As-Go phone plan, is that I can purchase data as I require it, for only $1.00/day. I often purchase a few dollars of data when travelling, and that allows me to recieve emails when travelling. It also allows me to flash my lights or honk the horn if I can't find my RDX in the parking lot. There have also been times when I found myself outside after forgetting my keys inside. AcuraLink let's me unlock the doors without going back into the hotel or house.

My biggest complaint about AcuraLink is that it can sometimes take 60 seconds after sending a command to the vehicle (e.g. unlock doors) before the command is finally carried out.
The following users liked this post:
Tech (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

You can find a description of what the 3 different AcuraLink tiers off at this LINK. And a YouTube video demonstrating the features of the phone app HERE

Here is a summary, and a description of why I have found it useful.
Thanks for that. I went to the FAQs (where I should have gone in the first place) but they do not list pricing on-line. I'll call that number. If anything, Connect would be all I'd like (not need).
I too have an unlocked Smartphone and am with Pay-Go.

As I understand it, I have that service till the end of the first year. I have not used or needed it...yet.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Pro

As I understand it, I have that service till the end of the first year. I have not used or needed it...yet.
I had all 3 tiers for free when I purchased my 2016 RDX in June of 2015. When the free term expired I purchased the connect package for 2 years. I can't find my records for the purchase, but I recall that it was over $100 per year. If you haven't used any of the features yet, you probably will decide not to purchase a renewal when you see the latest prices.

One of the reasons I purchased the package was becuase of this letter that was sent to me.....
As a result of cellular network changes being made by local providers throughout Canada, AcuraLink services will become inoperable through 2016, and 2017 in some areas. This impacts all AcuraLink-equipped vehicles manufactured before August 2016.

It goes on to say that they will replace the RDX's cellular radio with a new one for free, only when the older cell network is disconnected, and only if the basic new car warranty is still in effect, and only if I still have an active subscription. Since I don't want to get caught will a system that didn't work, I was hoping the service would be discontinued ASAP and I renewed the subscription to be eligible for the free replacement. So far the network is still working in my area,

In my earlier post I said that AFAIK there had been no new map releases for my 2016 RDX. Well it looks like one became available in just the last week, It will cost $179 plus $32,50 for delivery ($211.50 in total). Compare that to my Garmin units which get 4 updates each year for free,
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you haven't used any of the features yet, you probably will decide not to purchase a renewal when you see the latest prices.
I called and got this pricing in Canadian dollars for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 year subscriptions.
Standard: $68, $108, $148, $178 and $198.
Connect: $198, $318, $418, $518 and $578.
Premium: $118, $218, $298, $358 and $408.

To get the Premium package you need to also pay the Standard and Connect fees for the particular subscription duration. Strange way of calculating it, but I guess it looks cheaper that way. So the Premium fee for 1 year is $384.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Pro

I called and got this pricing in Canadian dollars for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 year subscriptions.
Standard: $68, $108, $148, $178 and $198.
Connect: $198, $318, $418, $518 and $578.
Premium: $118, $218, $298, $358 and $408.

To get the Premium package you need to also pay the Standard and Connect fees for the particular subscription duration. Strange way of calculating it, but I guess it looks cheaper that way. So the Premium fee for 1 year is $384.
Thanks for getting that pricing information.

Since the Premium package cost less than the Connect package, it seems that the $118 is strictly for the privilege of having someone else make your hotel and restaurant reservations, and that you would still have to pay the Connect costs for the other features. But it doesn't make sense that you have to pay for both Standard and Connect fees,because the Connect package includes the Standard features.

I am only interested in the "Connect" level so I have a choice of $198/year or $115.60/year (with a 5 year purchase). That is a 42% saving, and I would be tempted to get that because I think the service is worth ~$100 and not $200. The problem is I usually don't keep my vehicles for that long, and I also worry that the service could be cancelled during that amount of time.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

But it doesn't make sense that you have to pay for both Standard and Connect fees,because the Connect package includes the Standard features.
Your are right about that. Does not make sense. I called three times and sorry to say, but the persons on the other end didn't sound like the sharpest tool in the shed.

I probably won't go for it now, just as I haven't for Sirius XM. TIP: I like to choose my music and there is no shortage of it with this low-profile SanDisc Cruzer Fit 64 Gb that fits nicely (without protruding) into the USB port in the forward storage compartment of the RDX.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Pro

TIP: I like to choose my music and there is no shortage of it with this low-profile SanDisc Cruzer Fit 64 Gb that fits nicely (without protruding) into the USB port in the forward storage compartment of the RDX.
I used a larger (physically) thumb-drive for the first year. It was a very inexpensive way to carry 1000's of my favorite songs. My only complaint is that it was difficult to find a particular song that I wanted.

After that I purchased an Ipod (originally tried to get a used one off Kijiji with no success). The benefit of the Ipod is that I can use the RDX voice commands to "Play Hey Jude" or "Play The Beatles". If I create playlists within the ITunes application, I can also use voice commands to "Play My 60's Playlist". I could also download podcasts, but it was hard to keep track of which ones had already been played since I could not see the "play status" on the RDX's display screen.

More recently I have been listening to podcasts using the bluetooth connection to my cell phone. I use an app called "Pocket Casts". It will download my favorite podcasts to my phone when I am connected to my Wi-Fi.. It then allows me to listen to a podcast on my RDX and then when I arrive home. I can continue exactly where I left off, on my PC because everything is synced together.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
WWolfe-001 - I had the same experience the first time I tried to program in an address. My hiccup was that I was in one state (South Carolina) and the place I wanted to go was nearby but in Georgia. The system could not find the address until I reset the state to Georgia. Other Navigation systems I have used had much larger regions instead of state by state limitations. Total PITA, and part of learning this antiquated navigation system.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Acura is slow to update their address file. My house was 2 years old and nothing in the system. As to street numbers missing, I just use the system to get me close, then just use my eyes and instincts. Then, with my database-updated nav in my old 13, it still showed us as plowing through cornfields on Hwy. 24 between Ft. Wayne and Toledo when the new road had completed about 3years earlier.

For safety, I would never enter my actual Home address. I stopped by the neighborhood pool and entered that as my Home address. No problem finding my way home from there.

With the Connect package, I enter my destinations on my phone (with all the comforts of home) without having to poke the text into the screen (awkwardly). A short time after starting the car Navi (her name) asks me if I want to set this address as my Destination. Perfect for me.