One of the tire has lower PSI than the rest?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
One of the tire has lower PSI than the rest?

Hey all!! it's been long time and all... glad to be here again

anyways, I have been to the dealer at the end of March for B1 service (excludes tire rotation) because they offered me one for only $50!!

but one thing I didn't do was the tire rotation saying that I don't need one because all wheels are wearing out at the same rate... and was in good condition (at about 30k at the time)

I always do take wheels to rotation every 5000 or oil change but I didn't this time around because I have got busy recently...

But, last week, I felt little weird and decided to check PSI but my driver's side wheel was off by 5 PSI than the rest... then 3 days ago, it went down to 26 while other wheels were at 33...

Eventually, I got the warning light and filled some air but it still was off by 2... I never had my wheels on a pot hole recently nor I hit the curbs...

I wanted to know what you guys think before I take it to the mechanics or something.. thanks!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
You obviously picked up a nail and have a slow leak. Go to a tire store and hope that it is in the tread and not in the blocks adjoining the sidewall.

If you decide to look yourself and find the nail, DO NOT try to pull it out as all of the air will leak out.The nail/screw/whatever that caused the hole is now plugging it.

If it is in the "repairable" area then it'll cost $10-$20 to fix it. Some places do it for free.
The following users liked this post:
atsx1313 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
In addition to a possible puncture, it could be leaking around the TPMS stem seal, valve stem, or even around the rim.
Need to remove the wheel/tire and check tread area for nail, etc, if nothing found use soapy water to check for a leak in the above areas.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
you could try a 1/4 turn on the tpms nut itself. no need to remove anything.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:49 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Or it could be aliens that release a bit of air every evening from that one tire.

My money is on road debris and he needs to get it looked at now - before he has a catastrophic failure.
thoiboi (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 547 Likes on 354 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Or it could be aliens that release a bit of air every evening from that one tire.
You do have to watch out for those pesky aliens.

I have had this happen and it was air leaking around the valve stem however, that was right after new tires and that part wasn't done correctly. I have also had this happen and it was a piece of metal so like ceb said it is best to get it checked out right away, as driving too long can lead to a catastrophic failure.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Racer

hey guys,,, thanks for the inputs...

i waited out for 1 week on purpose to see what is happening to the wheel... but i don't see any signs of air leaking out and psi seems to be on par with other wheels ever since i put some air..

i will visit tire shop soon but it seems fine up to this point.. and i am very cautious of my wheel as it is very important part of the car and all...

i visually inspected my wheels and see nothing... i even put soap water to see any air leaks but none... i'll keep updated and ask question again thank you!
Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If air was lost, leak somewhere. Seen punctures that actually will seal around the object and one would only experience minimal air loss over time. If you're really curious, get a large plastic storage container, fill with water and insert tire upright, filled to 40 lbs into the water. Let it sit, then turn slightly, etc.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb
You obviously picked up a nail and have a slow leak. Go to a tire store and hope that it is in the tread and not in the blocks adjoining the sidewall.

If you decide to look yourself and find the nail, DO NOT try to pull it out as all of the air will leak out.The nail/screw/whatever that caused the hole is now plugging it.

If it is in the "repairable" area then it'll cost $10-$20 to fix it. Some places do it for free.

You were right.... I don't know why I couldn't see the nail when I checked the tire... I guess you NEED to take the wheels out to look at it..

Just got back from a tire shop and they took the wheels out and immediately, I saw the nail... he took it out and repaired under 10 minutes...

He told that it's okay to drive with it until tire wears out but is it okay? And also, he put the air to about 40PSI and the rest of the wheels are around 33-34 PSI...

I guess I will take out the air if the air stop leaking from the fix...

thanks for the input everyone!!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:15 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
yes, if he plugged the tire, it's good to go!
all you have to do is simply let out air of the 40PSI to match the others...
so let out 6 PSI to get to 34PSI
atsx1313 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
yes, if he plugged the tire, it's good to go!
all you have to do is simply let out air of the 40PSI to match the others...
so let out 6 PSI to get to 34PSI

I always do the tire rotation every oil change but i didn't this march (when it was due) because the dealer told me that it's wearing out perfectly and don't need to spend money on it this time... so i figured i can get lazy and don't need to do it...

i will take it to close shop, but will it be necessary if the dealer gave me multi-point with numbers on it.??
Old 05-31-2017, 11:41 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Dude. You're talking about tire pressure. That's the pressure of the air inside the tires. It will change day to day and season to season.

If the one they repaired is slightly higher pressure, just let some air out. Take the valve stem cap off and depress the little pin in the middle of the valve (the black rubber thing sticking out of the wheel, near the rim lip) and air will come out. Use your key, or a rock, or whatever to push the valve pin. Either use a gauge (best method) to check the pressure until it matches the others, or use the tire pressure display on the dash.

The dash display will have some lag, so let a little air out at a time and wait for the display to update.

No need to go to the dealer to have the air adjusted. I mean, you probably can, but it's a bit of a time waste.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Dude. You're talking about tire pressure. That's the pressure of the air inside the tires. It will change day to day and season to season.

If the one they repaired is slightly higher pressure, just let some air out. Take the valve stem cap off and depress the little pin in the middle of the valve (the black rubber thing sticking out of the wheel, near the rim lip) and air will come out. Use your key, or a rock, or whatever to push the valve pin. Either use a gauge (best method) to check the pressure until it matches the others, or use the tire pressure display on the dash.

The dash display will have some lag, so let a little air out at a time and wait for the display to update.

No need to go to the dealer to have the air adjusted. I mean, you probably can, but it's a bit of a time waste.
You are soooo wrong. The OP needs to go to the dealer for a seasonal tire air change. As the seasons change, it is vital that the air in the tires gets rotated. As an alternative, he can buy this and have a local shop do the swap. It must be done carefully though to make sure that the "old" winter air doesn't mix with the summer air in the atmosphere.
While he's at it, he should also get a blinker fluid flush