Got my International Driving Permit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017 | 09:34 AM
Safety Car

Got my International Driving Permit

So I am going to be in Greece for the next Four months, and found out to drive there I need this permit.

Got it from AAA for twenty bucks and had to bring two passport pictures 12 bucks. 32 bucks for all this, not to bad. The lady at AAA said to have it on me at all times with my Passport.
Old 05-05-2017 | 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator

good to know this was necessary and AAA performs this service!
Old 05-05-2017 | 11:00 AM
Senior Moderator

hmm that's odd... must vary by country... in Australia it didn't matter... neither when i drove from Belgium through Netherlands, Germany and Switz...
Old 05-05-2017 | 11:15 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
hmm that's odd... must vary by country... in Australia it didn't matter... neither when i drove from Belgium through Netherlands, Germany and Switz...
New Zealands didn't, either.
Old 05-05-2017 | 11:24 AM
Safety Car

IDK, either. But I do know I have 5 cousins there who are LEO`s and I know 4 of them will tell me don`t worry about it. But the one will tell me to be to get it.

32 bucks isn`t the end of the world and I got it just in case.

As far as other countries:
Passports, Driver's Licenses, and International Driving Permits. Whether you're American or Canadian, your passport and driver's license are all you need in most European countries. However, some countries also require an International Driving Permit (IDP).
Old 05-05-2017 | 01:33 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Congratulations and enjoy Ellada! I went last year with my wife, we had a great time. I do not miss the driving part.. Those malakes are straight ruthless and reckless on the roads.
The following users liked this post:
Nicks2001tl (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017 | 04:40 PM
Advanced

Just got back from Japan and it explicitly states during the rental car process an IDP must be presented in order to rent car. It was worth the extra few bucks.
Nicks2001tl (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017 | 04:56 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
Congratulations and enjoy Ellada! I went last year with my wife, we had a great time. I do not miss the driving part.. Those malakes are straight ruthless and reckless on the roads.
Yasou.

Been there a bunch of times but first time actually having a car full time. Freeways are nutty, slow senior citizens kind of slow down the flow.

Won`t drive in Athens, that is the worst. And I would recommend to anyone to not not rent or drive in Athens. Public transportation is suburb and less of a hassle. If you plan on leaving the city and cruising around yea rent but otherwise save yourself the headache and money.

Couple of my cousins turned a Fiat into a rally car and plan to race this summer, they tell me it`s fast and tight. I am going to beg them to let me take it for a spin, on my own terms of course.
Old 05-05-2017 | 05:59 PM
Banned

Here is mine that will be used Monday in Spain. From Castles to Wineyards to Coast.

Last edited by Saintor; 05-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2017 | 07:23 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Yasou.

Been there a bunch of times but first time actually having a car full time. Freeways are nutty, slow senior citizens kind of slow down the flow.

Won`t drive in Athens, that is the worst. And I would recommend to anyone to not not rent or drive in Athens. Public transportation is suburb and less of a hassle. If you plan on leaving the city and cruising around yea rent but otherwise save yourself the headache and money.

Couple of my cousins turned a Fiat into a rally car and plan to race this summer, they tell me it`s fast and tight. I am going to beg them to let me take it for a spin, on my own terms of course.

Yasou Nicko,

Yes, I as well have been there many times. This was my 1st time driving from Athens to my home town in Nafpaktos. I also drove to Lefkada which was an experience especially going through very small "Horio". At one point I was engulfed with goats hahaha. I rented a 2012 Smart fortwo in Athens. The driver was very late to arrive at the Airport. The car was clearly in an accident and put back together like a typical malaka would. But all and all, the little smart did very well. 80% of the main freeway from Athens to Nafpaktos was new. So road conditions were great. The drivers passing to go around you and passing you while going into incoming traffic, are nuts. They rush to get in front of you and all of a sudden, no longer have the need to get somewhere in hurry. The motorcycles are straight ASSHOLES. Forget about trying to cross the street... In my town, with the light being RED they still blow pass you and nearly kill you. Being from North NJ, I didn't take any of this lightly, especially when I'm crossing with my wife. We saw a lot, did a lot and my wife wants to go back again this year. I've stayed in Greece for 4-5 weeks at some point but feel a month is a bit much. I couldn't adjust to the life style (sleeping in at 12 pm going out to dinner at 11 pm) but it's still a nice change from the normal life style we have here. So, this is where we went last summer and mind you, we were there for only 2 weeks.

1. Athens (2 days) stayed at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. WOW what a hotel. Did the typical things to see and eat at.
2. Nafpaktos (4 days) stayed at home and traveled around town
3. Lefkada (2 days) and saw the top 3 beaches and stayed at Ponti Beach
4. Trizonia island (day trip)
5. Patra (Day trip) Typical stuff to see and eat.
6. Zakynthos (2 days) Ship wreck, blue caves, ship wreck view from above, sunset on the cliff. Stayed at a hotel center of town by the ferry boats.
7. 3-islands (Day Trip) Hydra, Poros and Aegena

Overall had an amazing time, a lot of running around but worth every moment.
Nicks2001tl (05-08-2017)
Old 05-06-2017 | 08:31 AM
Safety Car

I have a couple of friends locally are from a small village outside of Nafpaktos. Those same people also went to Zakynthos, Wow! The ocean there is incredible.

My family is from SIvota(google it) right across the southern tip of Corfu, and we have a house in the Horio a small town outside of Metsovo.

I called my cousin to see if he can hook me up with a rental car, because he got my brother one last yar for three weeks at a good price. He tells me he bought another car and will let me use his other one a Toyota something. All I need to do is buy an alternator(about 80 euro) for it. WTH just happened I got a car for the next four months, he literally saved me a couple of thousand bucks. But he will be working for me on and off so I will have to pay him now.

I`m going there mostly for work, helping my cousin build a house, remodeling my own house(14 years old) (water damage). To clean up our properties 3 acres of olive groves, way over grown. I got 3 guys as we speak right now but need another 3. it`s ugly and thorny, and it`s on the ocean and has a beach, it will turn out really nice when we are done.

I am from a hot vacation spot, but want to go to Meteora monasteries, and take a drive to a couple of other places I have in mind.

My home:
https://acurazine.com/forums/home-ga...y-home-949099/
Old 05-07-2017 | 10:34 PM
10th Gear

I was just about to inquire about this for an upcoming trip...thanks for posting this.
Nicks2001tl (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017 | 06:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Niko-Fab
I was just about to inquire about this for an upcoming trip...thanks for posting this.
If you are going to GR I would definitely pack up the NSX.