Body Side Molding Replacement DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Body Side Molding Replacement DIY?

Howdy Y'all ! I'm not good with Mechanics,nor forums. I thought there was a DIY area for all the different models here. I have an '02 TL and the rear passenger BSM came off . Tried gorilla glue, but that only lasted for a year or so. Its off again, i've cleaned the surface of the strip as well as the car(as best i could with Goo Gone,razor blades etc.. So i ordered those white pins/clips that go inside the door,however I'm not so sure how to put them in. I also have double sided tape as the clips on the inside of the molding(the side that attaches to the car) have been broken off or missing( the door is missing the clips as well, thats why i ordered them they were only $2 a bag +$1 shipping from Wish.com. Can someone tell me where i can find a photo or instructions how to do this?
Cant seem to find anything. Tried google and best i could find was how to add them, or a gazillion ones on how to replace the molding/panels between the windows in the body .
Your help is always appreciated!!!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
Clean both sides of all glue. Install the 5 clips on the molding. Replace double side tape. Install molding on the car by pushing straight in.
The following users liked this post:
carmis (12-01-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Thankd but......

Originally Posted by 01acls
Clean both sides of all glue. Install the 5 clips on the molding. Replace double side tape. Install molding on the car by pushing straight in.
Hi , as I said,I'm don't do well will forums. I think I thanked you, but in case I didnt,please forgive me.
I'm still a bit confused. While trying to find online the clips that go on the inner side of the molding, all I could find was listed as for the driver side door . I would think that should not make a difference , but I'd like to know if you or anyone else knows if #1. it doesn't matter what door it is and #2 is there supposed to be something inside the door that they clip onto, or once I slide them into the molding, they just fit I to the empty holes on my door? I lost my Chiltons (I think I gave it to my mechanic a couple of years ago and forgot to get it back) and I can't seem to find a diagram of what the door locks like, tried googling it,but can't seem to find a diagram . I looked on Ebay and they best price was about $4 each clip. Does that sound correct? being that I only have 1 broken clip left on the molding , I cabt seem to figure out if Il they simply clip onto the holes on the door,or am I supposed to put plugs in the holes first?
Again, I'm gratefull for any info you can offer me!
Thanks,
Carmis
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Drifting

Sir, please take my post above at face value. Everything that's pertinent to a successful installation is there. If there were any additional parts, special tools, process, and/or procedures necessary I would of included them in the above post. On a scale of 1-10 difficulty, this is a 2.

Right rear door clip, you need 5 clips.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Advanced

It's TOO EASY! LOL

[QUOTE=01acls;15911291]Sir, please take my post above at face value. Everything that's pertinent to a successful installation is there. If there were any additional parts, special tools, process, and/or procedures necessary I would of included them in the above post. On a scale of 1-10 difficulty, this is a 2.

Right rear door clip, you need 5 clips QUOTE]
I'm very grateful! just sounded too easy to be true. Now I assume that's the OEM part number. I've never bought anything from a vendor here on the site. The only place I could find the clips were on ebay and the guy wanted about $5.50 for a single clip. None of the chains had any thing in stock . I'll try using that part number. I feel guilty asking , but can you let me know where/how you would purchase 5 or 6 of these clips? I should be able to handle the rest !
Again, a humble thanks to you!
Carmis
Old 12-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
You can order directly from this sponsoring vendor.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Talking

I would buy it at a local dealership but that's easy for me to say since there are 3 within half hour. You might want to call ahead to see if it's in stock or not. If not then place an order in advance and pick it up in person when it arrives.

As an alternative you can PM me pics of your credit card (front/back) and I'll order it for you. LOL
Old 12-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Thanks 01acls,
just waiting for the clips to come in the mail. I'll send you my credit Card info o the next purchase i make. You can pick you can get yourself of 65" HDTV or something like that while your at it.
Got to go back to the boards again. My passenger side map light( which somehow i was successfully changed last year with LED's went out. Pulled the housing out and found the housing of the button doesn't stay down when the button is pressed. i used a screwdriver to press up into the button area to turn the light on and off. So being the ace mechanic that i am, when attempting to replace the 4 screws of the housing(2 closest to the windshield , then two under the sunglasses holder, i put the screw in and turned it about 20 times!.Couldnt understand why it wasnt grabbing the threads.Then i actually looked where i was placing the screw. It was the housing for the light, not the hole for the screw! So i mangled that so bad that i cant even use the light had i been able to keep the housing from rising up when depressed! Now , the drivers side map light does't "click" when pressed.I fear its a similar issue. I'm just going to Crazy Glue the back/top of the button housing to the ceiling of the housing so it stays flush and not rise up into the housing.Getting rid of the car soon, so i dont think i will need to go back in there again. If not, I have a mini Mag light that i keep in the cup holder between the seats. Once i get the molding on, the car goes up for sale. i love the car, but I need tons of work that i cant do myself. Motor Mounts,Front suspension work, shocks, maybe some bearings, Timing belt etc... not ot mention some front end body damage( i have the plugs to fasten the bumper on properly (its about 1/2 " off the body) Oh , lest not forget the passenger side low beam, which ill assume is the balast and not the bulb. Almost forgot! The broken passenger side fog light which someone hit while the car was parked, while riving home i smelll smoke and then see it when i puled into my mechanics garage, when the hit the car, breaking the fog light, the bulb became dislodged from the housing and i guess was resting on the fiberglass bumper. The smoke was the bulb burning the fiberglass!
So ,maybe since you will have my credit card number, you might as well set me up with a down payment on a new Acura! Lol
Wish me luck!
Thanks Again!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Drifting

Sorry to hear about your TL. That's a lot of necessary work.

Thanks for the offer on the 65" HDTV but I'm going to have to pass because I'm totally happy with my old 54" 1080P plasma TV. Although I've been eyeing the awesome 4K LED UHD TVs. I've been a good boy Santa! Hohoho