Mdx new grill

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Mdx new grill

I wonder what rdx will look like with new grill

I am not crazy about it but it might grow on me

I also still think the rdx should have a turbo and 8 speed transmission like the X1, x3, q5
Old 03-24-2016, 11:51 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-28-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Acura "could" upgrade the RDX with the new precision concept grille. I'm thinking they won't until the 3rd Gen down the road a few years later. Only if RDX sales take a dip will make them upgrade the current gen RDX.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 887 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Acura "could" upgrade the RDX with the new precision concept grille. I'm thinking they won't until the 3rd Gen down the road a few years later. Only if RDX sales take a dip will make them upgrade the current gen RDX.
Acura is making a serious push towards being a genuine luxury brand. I don't think they are going to wait that long. I would say look for this grill on the 2019 rdx or they could even push it ahead and put it on the 2018 rdx.

I am personally really hoping the mdx hybrid powertrain makes it into the rdx with the 7 speed dual clutch. I think the rdx would blow the q5 and x3 out of the water with the hybrid shawd tech.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I don't foresee the RDX getting the same powertrain. Or, if anything, it'll be a slightly detuned version. Nothing wrong with that though. Electric motors provide that instant torque- for sure it would outrun the x3 or q5. If anything, give them a very good run, for less money.

I like the new grill, but I feel like the rest of the MDX needs to be redesigned. There's just something odd looking about that front end. I feel like maybe the headlight shape doesn't work well wit the grill. Or, maybe it's the grill looks more masculine, but everything else still looks toned down. I think this grill would have worked nicely if incorporated into the 2G MDX.
Stanuwmad (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 02:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
While the new grill is fine, the rest of the front end looks odd. Like a hammerhead shark

Last edited by ceb; 03-24-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
I don't foresee the RDX getting the same powertrain. Or, if anything, it'll be a slightly detuned version. Nothing wrong with that though. Electric motors provide that instant torque- for sure it would outrun the x3 or q5. If anything, give them a very good run, for less money.

I like the new grill, but I feel like the rest of the MDX needs to be redesigned. There's just something odd looking about that front end. I feel like maybe the headlight shape doesn't work well wit the grill. Or, maybe it's the grill looks more masculine, but everything else still looks toned down. I think this grill would have worked nicely if incorporated into the 2G MDX.
Seeing as how the rdx is sort of acura's least thought out product (I don't want to say cheap, but sort of is), I also don't think they would do this. Though they might put in the 4-cylinder from the civic si with the hybrid tech or even just a turbo 4 from hondas new gen turbo 4's. The rdx is about 5-10k cheaper than a q5, so even a good run for the money is good enough

I agree also on the 2G mdx looking more feminine. They need to fix that up and push it more towards the masculine side like the 2G was. Also those exhaust tips are pushed out too far for my tastes.

Originally Posted by ceb
While the new grill is fine, the rest of the front end looks odd. Like a hammerhead shark
I can't quite put my finger on what I find wrong with it. It for some reason reminds me of a Jackolantern, I don't think I spelled that correctly. Trying to say it looks like a halloween pumpkin. But I have to give it to Acura, the more I see those jewel eye headlights, the more I love them.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I like it much more.Cuts down the beak look.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura604

Comfy (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
They should have hired some grill designers from Madza for one day. That would have looked much better than this. Honestly I don't mind the beak.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
They should have hired some grill designers from Madza for one day. That would have looked much better than this. Honestly I don't mind the beak.
Ok so I have a question for those of you who aren't fans of the new grille. Would you prefer this "diamond pentagon grille" or lexus hourglass monster grille?

I agree that Acura should fire its' grille and wheel designers, but I have seen MUCH worse you know. Its a start! Lets just look forward to this grille for the next 30 years.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Ok so I have a question for those of you who aren't fans of the new grille. Would you prefer this "diamond pentagon grille" or lexus hourglass monster grille?

I agree that Acura should fire its' grille and wheel designers, but I have seen MUCH worse you know. Its a start! Lets just look forward to this grille for the next 30 years.
I prefer Audi's grilles. Acura seems to never want to get rid of the center break, which is why they are so limited to what they can do with their grilles. They all have to come to a V in the bottom center.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:41 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by pnoi521
They all have to come to a V in the bottom center.
May be they have a lady as the chief designer. .
Old 03-25-2016, 07:08 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The grill is fine. The problem is that funky protrusion right below it - some lame attempt at a splitter?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 306 Likes on 213 Posts
Definitely better than the Lexus "hour-glass" style grilles.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pnoi521
I prefer Audi's grilles. Acura seems to never want to get rid of the center break, which is why they are so limited to what they can do with their grilles. They all have to come to a V in the bottom center.
I agree completely, much prefer the audi grill over this thing. I don't know whats up with Acura and the pointed V theme. I think the sharp angle is supposed to make it more aggressive? I don't know.

May be they have a lady as the chief designer. .
I think this mighr actually be true, is it? I know they had a lady as the cheif engineer of the last gen rdx engine, thats why we got a top mount intercooler and not front mount like it should have been.

Originally Posted by ceb
The grill is fine. The problem is that funky protrusion right below it - some lame attempt at a splitter?
I noticed that weird looking thing as well. I wonder if from a side-view, I would see it sticking out. I don't like it, Kia and Hyundai are pushing towards european design while Acura is pushing towards hardcore asian design lol

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Definitely better than the Lexus "hour-glass" style grilles.
Its definitely not the worst out there (especially those f-sport models where the grille morphs and eats the front end). But it also doesn't give them a unique look.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:54 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It is obvious that Acura isn't marketed in Europe as some of the design elements aren't pedestrian friendly and wouldn't meet the regs.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Right now I am leaning toward f sport grill and even like kidney grills
Old 03-25-2016, 11:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This pentagon thing looks too big/masculine for current generation MDX. I wish they wouldve kept their old design and should've introduced this new grill on a new generation. It just looks weird to me.

9/8-speed is OK for new RDX, but no turbo please. And no glitchy DCT either!
Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
This pentagon thing looks too big/masculine for current generation MDX. I wish they wouldve kept their old design and should've introduced this new grill on a new generation. It just looks weird to me.

9/8-speed is OK for new RDX, but no turbo please. And no glitchy DCT either!
This 100%. It isn't that the grille is bad, it is that the grille is too masculine for the current gen ultra-soft lined mdx. The current mdx is really really soft with all the angles, this grill would have been right at home on the 2G mdx, here it looks like a BLAZING afterthought
Old 03-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I am not sure sure why they just have to try so hard to come up with something that shouldn't be the focus of the car. It is almost as if car companies feel that the grill is what sells the car....euhhhh NO!

Sure, some have managed to do a grill design that has become their trademark or their signature but it doesn't have to be something funky for it to work. Just do something that is cohesive and things will be fine....They tried with the shield (which after a while, they got it to flow much better), now this pentagon with little gizmos that have been created by the "bedazzler".....Why couldn't they just go back to a basic and simple design like in the early 2000's?

Marek has really got to go, seriously, a guy who can't even get a simple balding hairdo correctly shouldn't be in charge of designing cars....
Old 03-26-2016, 08:53 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Infiniti beat them to it. I would much rather have Acura look completely different than have a terrible car that looks like a Nissan took home a Mazda (the Q50).

I mean, seriously. Infiniti gave the thing a load of horsepower, the right driving wheels, and still managed to screw it up.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by weather

Marek has really got to go, seriously, a guy who can't even get a simple balding hairdo correctly shouldn't be in charge of designing cars....

Seriously dude what's wrong with my hair?
weather (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not sure sure why they just have to try so hard to come up with something that shouldn't be the focus of the car. It is almost as if car companies feel that the grill is what sells the car....euhhhh NO!

Sure, some have managed to do a grill design that has become their trademark or their signature but it doesn't have to be something funky for it to work. Just do something that is cohesive and things will be fine....They tried with the shield (which after a while, they got it to flow much better), now this pentagon with little gizmos that have been created by the "bedazzler".....Why couldn't they just go back to a basic and simple design like in the early 2000's?

I kind of disagree with you. It is very important for a car company to be able to establish a common design language and DNA. See the kidney grills? Do I need to say who that is? see the spindle grille? Do I need to say who that is? You see that beak grille...lol joking. But my point is, the grille is what really sets off a brand.

I do agree with you that a grille won't sell a car, but a bad grille will actually stop a car from being purchased. Just look at how many people couldn't stomach the early beak grille and the mazda smiley face grille.

A grille does not need to be gaudy to be iconic. It just has to flow well with the design.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I kind of disagree with you. It is very important for a car company to be able to establish a common design language and DNA. See the kidney grills? Do I need to say who that is? see the spindle grille? Do I need to say who that is? You see that beak grille...lol joking. But my point is, the grille is what really sets off a brand.

I do agree with you that a grille won't sell a car, but a bad grille will actually stop a car from being purchased. Just look at how many people couldn't stomach the early beak grille and the mazda smiley face grille.

A grille does not need to be gaudy to be iconic. It just has to flow well with the design.
Agreed. The average buyer looks at a car and judges it almost completely by the front.

Few say, "That car is pretty, but I don't like the face." Many more would say "That car is pretty but the back is funny looking."
Old 03-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

RDX10 and kurtatx....You both raise good points. I may not have explained myself well and that is the drawback of being French speaking, English is my second language so I don't always articulate in the most effective manner.

I agree that a grill can make a brand really stand out, like the kidney grill and hour glass you identified. What I was trying to say is that if doesn't have to be polarizing to e successful. When we look at the Acura of the early to mid 2000, the grill wasn't overly gawdy yet, you still saw a beautiful car design with a grill design that flowed well with the car. Elegance with style, and cohesion. I think that Lexus' grill works is that the whole design is polarizing and the grill fits well with the overall theme.

I agree that they need to develop a design that gets identified with the brand and that when seen, triggers emotion and passion. When you try too hard, it can have the opposite effect so I just wish they would have done a more simple design.

kurtatx....I agree that the front of a vehicle is so important and a nice aggressive stance can create passion but there is more than the grill to achieve this. It's how they integrate the headlights, the fog lights, creases in the fascia and such. Now that people have posted the picture of the hammer (shark), I can't shake that image off my brain....so the beak is now a shark for me.
kurtatx (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Suzuka Master

RDX10 and kurtatx....You both raise good points. I may not have explained myself well and that is the drawback of being French speaking, English is my second language so I don't always articulate in the most effective manner.

I agree that a grill can make a brand really stand out, like the kidney grill and hour glass you identified. What I was trying to say is that if doesn't have to be polarizing to e successful. When we look at the Acura of the early to mid 2000, the grill wasn't overly gawdy yet, you still saw a beautiful car design with a grill design that flowed well with the car. Elegance with style, and cohesion. I think that Lexus' grill works is that the whole design is polarizing and the grill fits well with the overall theme.

I agree that they need to develop a design that gets identified with the brand and that when seen, triggers emotion and passion. When you try too hard, it can have the opposite effect so I just wish they would have done a more simple design.

kurtatx....I agree that the front of a vehicle is so important and a nice aggressive stance can create passion but there is more than the grill to achieve this. It's how they integrate the headlights, the fog lights, creases in the fascia and such. Now that people have posted the picture of the hammer (shark), I can't shake that image off my brain....so the beak is now a shark for me.
Well for someone who doesn't have english as a first language, you are doing amazing! I could never write french as well as you are writing english right now!

I see what you are saying, but that is exactly what Acura is doing wrong. They think that the grille needs to be ultra gaudy to grab attention, and it doesn't. Have you seen Kia's tiger nose grille? It is instantly recognizable as a Kia, but just look how classy it is in comparison to this grille.

The early 2000's grille is simply too tame for this time in automotive history. When you have companies like audi, lexus, bmw, and even nissan coming out with wild designs, you can't afford to be a wall flower. In the past, it was ok to have a sporty car that looks plain. Now you need to look sporty while standing still. But at the same time, you have to strike a balance. This is what Acura can't seem to do properly. They always go in one direction too far.

What they should have done, is kept the beak, but massage it. Change some creases in the beak section, maybe introduce some black elements and some stainless steel elements and then change the shape a little bit. Sort of morph the headlights into the grill, that would have looked awesome imho. People automatically knew an acura when they seen the beak, why get this weird diamond pentagon grille that doesn't even flow with the design?

The nsx doesn't even have the pentagon grille. What are they doing?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Just found this online. Look at this grille for example. All that is missing is a LARGE acura badge. This is attractive, yet classy, yet sporty, and I would say Acura instantly.
Stanuwmad (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
THIS is a god-looking grill:

Old 03-27-2016, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Well for someone who doesn't have english as a first language, you are doing amazing! I could never write french as well as you are writing english right now!
Thanks my friend....much appreciated.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

...Sure, some have managed to do a grill design that has become their trademark or their signature but it doesn't have to be something funky for it to work. ....
There are several grill designs that are unique to their brand. Even though they have evolved over time (BMW, MB, RR etc), they are still unique to their brand and you can easily distinguish an early BMW from a MB and be able to identify them just from the grill.

You can't say the same for Acura who has changed their grill design more often than their engines or technology. It seems as if they are saying "yeah, we've tweaked it to the point where it is almost OK and people recognize the car for an Acura. Let's dump the whole design and start something new. We were a bit too polarizing before so let's just make the front look like any Mazda but let's make it stand out with a funky chin protrusion."

Hey, maybe it is just a plan to sell remaining 2016's quickly.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
There are several grill designs that are unique to their brand. Even though they have evolved over time (BMW, MB, RR etc), they are still unique to their brand and you can easily distinguish an early BMW from a MB and be able to identify them just from the grill.

You can't say the same for Acura who has changed their grill design more often than their engines or technology. It seems as if they are saying "yeah, we've tweaked it to the point where it is almost OK and people recognize the car for an Acura. Let's dump the whole design and start something new. We were a bit too polarizing before so let's just make the front look like any Mazda but let's make it stand out with a funky chin protrusion."

Hey, maybe it is just a plan to sell remaining 2016's quickly.
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Acura finally had the beak to the point where it was palatable. They should not have scrapped it. They should have tweaked it. I feel like it was so close to being something.

Anyone could see the current beak grille and instantly know it was an Acura. Now they changed it to this diamond thing and honestly I preferred the beak. Now they will adjust it and nip and tuck till it becomes just about palatable, then they will change again.

My personal opinion is that they should have adjusted the current beak grille. It was too tame IMHO, so they should have just adjusted some colors/creases...etc. This diamond pentagon thing has zero Acura relevance. If you want to be a recognized luxury brand, you need to have heritage. That absolutely comes into play for people who buy luxury cars.
Comfy (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:48 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Acura grille any day than the Lexus monstrosity.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:22 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Acura grille any day than the Lexus monstrosity.
In order to comply with European pedestrian safety laws, many manufacturers went to larger grills. This brought us the Audi "fishmouth", flatter, larger BMW kidneys and larger Mercedes grills. Since their introduction in the early 2000s, they have slowly morphed back to normalcy (and we have grown to accept them more) as manufacturers learned how to incorporate pedestrian safety with design. Lexus is in the very early stages of pedestrian safety with mid 70% scores on the EuroNCAP crash results.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's something awkward about the new grill. The dimensions or something is off. ​The top of the front looks like a dodge charger. As is, reminds me too much of kia, but maybe also infiniti.

I agree with others who say the beak should have been tweaked but not removed. Here's my idea:

Whether two thinner chrome break lines or a beak outlined in chrome with black inside.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by sunnyflower
There's something awkward about the new grill. The dimensions or something is off. ​The top of the front looks like a dodge charger. As is, reminds me too much of kia, but maybe also infiniti.

I agree with others who say the beak should have been tweaked but not removed. Here's my idea:

Whether two thinner chrome break lines or a beak outlined in chrome with black inside.
I think what is odd is that there is too much dead space around the giant Acura sign. And also the overall shape of the grille is just stupid.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
because acura cant come up with a solid design.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
well what do you expect when you give a bunch of toddlers locked in a room, a bottle of tequila and crayons?
justnspace (06-22-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
well what do you expect when you give a bunch of toddlers locked in a room, a bottle of tequila and crayons?
you're being too kind....toddlers....
more like blind people.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
you're being too kind....toddlers....
more like blind people.
More like blind toddlers who are tripping on lsd they took years ago. I still stand by my original thought that they should have kept the beak, tweaked it to something similar to the tlx I posted earlier in the thread and called it a day. Also, those exhaust tips (while thank god they finally hsed their brains and returned them) are WAY too far out to the sides, it almost looks comical and blocky.

Quick Reply: Mdx new grill