Trade 2011 TSX auto for manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Seo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade 2011 TSX auto for manual?

Hello,

This is my first thread since I bought my 2011 TSX last year. I bought an automatic because.... well I have never driven a manual before. All other cars my family has are all automatic. The car before this was 02 civic and it was automatic too. I always had wanted to try and learn how to drive manual but it is hard to find one around me and even among rental cars these days. Only one of my friends has GTI with manual but he does not let me even try his. He says "You will never learn driving manual by just trying once or couple times. You need to have your own to learn and that is how I learned". So I gave up asking. I bought TSX because I wanted to drive something fun and good quality. Now I drive TSX and I can see that it is luxurious and good quality but I can not tell it is more fun car to drive than my mom's 02 camry or my sister's Scion TC. People here who have 6MT say so good things about it and I wonder if trading mine for manual is really worth. I will probably lose a lot of equity value though. And I live in VA around DC. If there is one living around this area, please tell me how you feel when driving in traffic with manual.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:23 PM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
dunno how your financial situation is but it really doesn't make sense to trade up for a manual of the same year and model. financially, you'll take a huge hit on your car and pay up the ass for a rare manual tsx.

do what i'm planning on doing...keep the tsx as your car, then a couple years down the line, find and buy a cheap manual car to play around with.
The following users liked this post:
Seo (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Car will still feel like dud driving in traffic as most of the power is over 4k on this car. Stick is only fun on open roads. Stick with the auto.
Seo (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Goodbye.

Received 584 Likes on 423 Posts
Don't do it. Keep your car you have now.

p.s. your friend just told you that white lie to keep you from asking to drive his car. He doesn't want to teach you and more importantly, he doesn't want you to possibly ruin the clutch on his car.
Seo (03-02-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Seo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TSXy Luster
He doesn't want to teach you and more importantly, he doesn't want you to possibly ruin the clutch on his car.
That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
nah...dont do it..just use the paddle shifters! theyre not bad once you get used to them
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
I feel like we see at least one of these "I want a manual" threads per week...
Old 03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Do it. Take a $4k hit on your auto now and another extra $2k hit when you trade in your manual.

Manuals are hard to sell used. You either find an enthusiast or you take a bigger hit on the trade in value. In addition, the manual gets worse gas mileage and you really don't want a manual in DC traffic.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
the manual gets worse gas mileage and you really don't want a manual in DC traffic.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
if the guy wants a manual... he wants a manual... simple as that. Manual is more than a "can you deal with manual in traffic" question...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
live and learn man, just get a beater with a manual to learn, then get a manual on your next car. better yet, ask the salesman to teach you, they will in order to get a sale

Originally Posted by ressling
if the guy wants a manual... he wants a manual... simple as that. Manual is more than a "can you deal with manual in traffic" question...
true. tsx is a "sport sedan", i would think having fun is slightly more a priority than mpg. id gladly take the mpg hit to have the stick
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
your friend just doesnt want to teach you for what ever reason. But hes wrong. You can learn within the first 5 minutes. How well is a different story. but the first time i tried it i got the car moving around for a few blocks before my first stall. And not riding the clutch. if youre a fast learner you'll be fine

the car i owned before my AUTO TSX was a 6 Speed Subaru STi, Modded and Exedy Twin Disc Clutch for Daily Driving NYC streets. Stick in a City isnt always bad. Auto drivers have that misconception. In all honesty in becomes Natural.

Manual makes a car so much more fun, You will feel in control of the car a lot more.

But it isnt financially smart for you to do that. You will end up paying TL territory for a TSX after they bring over $$ owed on the old car
Old 03-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Goodbye.

The real question is........ whether he wants a manual because people always talk about manual cars and the boy racer/false stigma against autos, or because he actually wants to own a manual car for himself.

Either way, I still say stay with auto and down the road get a beater to play manual in. And also try to find a better friend with a manual car who actually is a friend and knows what he is talking about.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

The real question is........ whether he wants a manual because people always talk about manual cars and the boy racer/false stigma against autos, or because he actually wants to own a manual car for himself.

Either way, I still say stay with auto and down the road get a beater to play manual in. And also try to find a better friend with a manual car who actually is a friend and knows what he is talking about.
Good question.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
@ OP... As someone who used to commute from Gaithersburg to Herndon in traffic, driving a manual can be a challenge especially if you have high performance car with a stiff on/off type clutch. I had that setup in my Mazdaspeed3 and put about 60K on it before I wanted something comfy/lux over speed and harshness. Having said that, the 6spd M/T in the TSX is very slick with a feathery light clucth and not a physical drain to drive in traffic like the Speed3. Before switching jobs and working from home, I did about 16K on the TSX and never once felt tired like I did in the Speed3. FWIF, the TSX is a fun car to drive with the 6spd M/T. My suggestion to you is to put up an ad in CL and see if you can barter/pay some to teach you to drive manual in a beater for a day. Once comfortable, go and test drive a 6spd TSX or TL and see if you really worth taking the hit for trading in your auto.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Do it. Take a $4k hit on your auto now and another extra $2k hit when you trade in your manual.

Manuals are hard to sell used. You either find an enthusiast or you take a bigger hit on the trade in value. In addition, the manual gets worse gas mileage and you really don't want a manual in DC traffic.
I'd do it if I were him, plus manuals don't necessarily get worse than their auto counterparts. I've read many threads on here with people gettin stellar mpg's in their TSX, 3G TLs, etc.

I miss your black TSX 6spd.

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
live and learn man, just get a beater with a manual to learn, then get a manual on your next car. better yet, ask the salesman to teach you, they will in order to get a sale

true. tsx is a "sport sedan", i would think having fun is slightly more a priority than mpg. id gladly take the mpg hit to have the stick
What are the odds of finding a salesman who actually knows how to drive a stick? About mpg's its up to your shift points and how you drive the car. Southernboy and 94eg! have some some great tips and tricks an get some stellar mpgs out of their manuals and they know a lot.

Originally Posted by MoaarLow
your friend just doesnt want to teach you for what ever reason. But hes wrong. You can learn within the first 5 minutes. How well is a different story. but the first time i tried it i got the car moving around for a few blocks before my first stall. And not riding the clutch. if youre a fast learner you'll be fine

the car i owned before my AUTO TSX was a 6 Speed Subaru STi, Modded and Exedy Twin Disc Clutch for Daily Driving NYC streets. Stick in a City isnt always bad. Auto drivers have that misconception. In all honesty in becomes Natural.

Manual makes a car so much more fun, You will feel in control of the car a lot more.

But it isnt financially smart for you to do that. You will end up paying TL territory for a TSX after they bring over $$ owed on the old car
This up until the financially smart part. It doesn't make sense in away, but buying an item that depreciates doesn't make sense either, new or used. You'll take less of a hit, but still... If i were in OPs position I'd gladly tradeup for the enjoyment. It's not a huge price to pay, but it is something to look at. Maybe OP can save up a bit to offset costs?

BUT buying a used manual raises some questions. Not many people actually know how to drive a manual the right way. I'd rather drive a manual with a good clutch (preferably used) instead of drivin a beater with a worn clutch/syncros. You can learn either way, but you'll need to learn the difference between a good clutch and bad (worn) clutch that's slippin.

OP you gotta remember if you trade up and burn the clutch out in your new TSX you out of some money.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:28 AM
David_Dude

If you'd like I can dig up some posts for you to read through.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I've got a 6MT TSX, it's such a pleasure to drive. It was next to impossible to find one, paid extra to ship it cross country in the config / colour I wanted. Be warned, the manuals have an issue with burning oil. Acura issue a TSB and there's a software upgrade and a few things were replaced including pistons, etc... (at least in the 09's)

But the 6MT TSX is great. It's a real shame not more of them are out there. I'm looking to get rid of my car, you can take it over if you're REALLY interested. I have 12 lease payments to go and an attractive buyout *but* I'm in Canada.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM
David_Dude

^ I believe that problems were ironed out for the 09 years. Havent heard much about the TSX in the following years after the first MY.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Seo
3rd Gear

Thanks for your help. I guess I should try manual first before I make decision. I looked up cars.com and autotrader and find a very old manual car for under $1,000. I think it is something that I can try and either resell it for less or throw it away if it is broken.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
7# werC 2uoYeeS

Received 527 Likes on 387 Posts
i really wouldn't recommend buying a shitty manual car just to learn. find someone who will teach you how to drive manual first. i think you should definitely experience it first before buying a manual car. even if it's under a grand, couple that with registration fees and insurance and it'll get pricey. finding someone, even on craigslist, to teach you will cost less money and you'll have someone experienced to help you. i'm not sure how much people charge to teach u how to drive stick but with about a grand of cash to drop, i'm sure it's hours and hours of lessons.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
if you sell your car private party, and buy a used one private party, you wont take that big of a hit. I drive in DC traffic everyday down 66 and I love my MT. Also, it's really easy to learn, you'll get the hang of it after a day or two. The easiest way to try a manual is to go to a dealership and test drive one, that's basically how I learned 10 years ago. Go to a scion dealership and grind the shit out of their gears
Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Goodbye.

Best way to learn a manual without shelling out any cash apart from gas money:

Go to any or all of your local dealerships every weekend or whenever you feel like learning a manual.
Feint interest in buying their manual cars.
When inside, tell the salesman you don't know how to drive one but really want to own one.
Have him teach you.
Rinse and repeat with as many dealerships as you want until you have a good grip on driving a manual.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Instructor

Go to any or all of your local dealerships every weekend or whenever you feel like learning a manual.
When inside, tell the salesman you don't know how to drive one but really want to own one.
Have him teach you.
Rinse and repeat with as many dealerships as you want until you have a good grip on driving a manual.
that will work. good tip is to go to a dealer that has a manual in stock guaranteed. my suggestion, honda dealer for an Si, suby dealer for a WRX, mazda dealer for a miata. basically, aim for cars that are available only in stick or have a higher than usual chance of having a stick
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Have him teach you.
You are assuming that the salesman knows how to drive a stick.

that will work. good tip is to go to a dealer that has a manual in stock guaranteed. my suggestion, honda dealer for an Si, suby dealer for a WRX, mazda dealer for a miata. basically, aim for cars that are available only in stick or have a higher than usual chance of having a stick
How about just shelling out the money for a driving school. They are set up to teach that kind of stuff and will do it in a safe environment.

Do you really think that a salesman will:
  1. Let you drive a manual if you tell them you don't know how?
  2. Take the time? This isn't a 10 minute test drive.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb

How about just shelling out the money for a driving school. They are set up to teach that kind of stuff and will do it in a safe environment.

my last 3 cars have been stick. all times, the salespeople drove them out
Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by ceb

yes and yes.
had a friend do this with his former WRX when he wanted one but didn't know how to drive a manual.

I don't know how long your test drives are there, but here 10 mins is common. I had a couple of those when I was shopping for a new car last year.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
David_Dude

my last 3 cars have been stick. all times, the salespeople drove them out
That is cool. I assumed that many of the salespeople in my area didn't know how to drive a stick, because they're rare. I rather teach a friend, than rely on the salesman, though I have older brothers that used to own manuals and are very good at them.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
That is cool. I assumed that many of the salespeople in my area didn't know how to drive a stick, because they're rare. I rather teach a friend, than rely on the salesman, though I have older brothers that used to own manuals and are very good at them.
lol my dad taught me. i bought a 1st year RSX and he had to drive it home. he wasnt that good a teacher lol, he just pretty much taught me how to take off in 1st gear but didnt really explain the technicalities of it. when i taught my ex, i told her what was going on mechanically before driving and it worked out much better
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

yes and yes.
had a friend do this with his former WRX when he wanted one but didn't know how to drive a manual.

I don't know how long your test drives are there, but here 10 mins is common. I had a couple of those when I was shopping for a new car last year.
I know no dealership here in the DC are that would let you test drive a new car if you told them that you didn't know how to drive a stick.

Yes, 10 minute test drives are probably the norm most anywhere. Do you really think you can learn how to drive a stick in ten minutes? Even in multiple 10 minute increments?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ceb

Yes and Yes

Driving a manual is not that hard that you would need to pay somebody to teach you.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Racer

Have him teach you.
not that i posted this exact same thing about an hour before you....
Old 03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Goodbye.

Trial by fire.

Originally Posted by live2hit01
gotta make the point across for all the ADD people :p

But seriously, the main reason behind manual via test drives is that you don't ruin the friend's car who won't teach. It's the 2nd alternative to having a real friend teach you.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by live2hit01
So you both want to ruin new cars for other people? Hope people beat the shit out of your Autos on test drive.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Trial by fire.

gotta make the point across for all the ADD people :p

But seriously, the main reason behind manual via test drives is that you don't ruin the friend's car who won't teach. It's the 2nd alternative to having a real friend teach you.
Which is the same reason the car salesman won't let you learn on his brand new car.

Here's what the OP should do. Go to a few car dealers in his area and say "I'm interested in buying a manual transmission car because my buddies told me it is more fun. I don't know how to drive a stick so I'd like to borrow one of your nice shiny new cars to learn."

I'll pay him for every dealer that says yes. He'll pay me for every dealer that says no.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Goodbye.

Originally Posted by iamitman
So you both want to ruin new cars for other people? Hope people beat the shit out of your Autos on test drive.
If they managed to do that in the entire 1 mile on my car before I drove it, then I want to meet these people to admire and *gasp* even give them a huge bowdown!
Old 03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Racer

Whoever thinks it is ok to go the dealer and learn stick shift on the expense of dealer/future owner of a car is a douche. Shame on you guys for promoting this.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Totally do no condone learning how to drive a stick shift at a dealership. Learn that shit on your own before crashing a brand new car. I can't believe it's actually an option for some people...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 AM
David_Dude

lol my dad taught me. i bought a 1st year RSX and he had to drive it home. he wasnt that good a teacher lol, he just pretty much taught me how to take off in 1st gear but didnt really explain the technicalities of it. when i taught my ex, i told her what was going on mechanically before driving and it worked out much better
lol. You wouldn't believe how i learned. I actually read how to online and applied it to real world driving. My bro tried to teach me but it didn't work out to well. I did learn the mechanics by reading and whatnot. I also learned by watching. If it came down to it, i can move a stickshift when needed. That's also how I learned to drive, by watching my parents and then watch them press the brake/gas etc (they don't drive sticks). So when I was 12 I stole my dads '85 F150 and drove across town. Very risky and IDK why I did it (guess I was used to driving his truck out in the rural area etc). I live in a very small town, but my parents almost killed me. I even left a note and was hoping to get back before my dad or mom would've gotten off work, but i didn't think it all the way through and he got the note first. My dad followed me back home and i noticed halfway home... I swear i almost sh**ted myself. lol I locked the doors and wouldn't get out of his work truck.

Originally Posted by risc
Totally do no condone learning how to drive a stick shift at a dealership. Learn that shit on your own before crashing a brand new car. I can't believe it's actually an option for some people...
I didn't think you could anyway. Dealerships must have money to throw away.

Last edited by Acura_Dude; 03-06-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 AM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
lol. You wouldn't believe how i learned. I actually read how to online and applied it to real world driving. My bro tried to teach me but it didn't work out to well. I did learn the mechanics by reading and whatnot. I also learned by watching. If it came down to it, i can move a stickshift when needed. That's also how I learned to drive, by watching my parents and then watch them press the brake/gas etc (they don't drive sticks). So when I was 12 I stole my dads '85 F150 and drove across town. Very risky and IDK why I did it (guess I was used to driving his truck out in the rural area etc). I live in a very small town, but my parents almost killed me. I even left a note and was hoping to get back before my dad or mom would've gotten off work, but i didn't think it all the way through and he got the note first. My dad followed me back home and i noticed halfway home... I swear i almost sh**ted myself. lol I locked the doors and wouldn't get out of his work truck.

I didn't think you could anyway. Dealerships must have money to throw away.
i basically learned how to drive auto in a similar way. i watched my dad all the time, but its not that difficult to learn. when i was 14(my dad always promised me, once he thought i was old and tall enough he'd really teach me) we went to the mall parking lot which is closed on sundays, and i drive around. the main thing was to be smooth, trying to get on the brake in a linear way so you werent jerking the car, and the same with braking.

when i became curious about manual, i actually read about it online, watched some youtube clips, and i got the idea of it. i lied to a friend and said i pretty much knew how, and he let me try his. i got into first without a problem, and then second and third. never gone above third yet(no highway). another time i tried my friends 135i, and nearly totalled it. we were in a parking lot, and i had to reverse out. i said i didn't know how to reverse, and he explained it kinda, and then HE put the car into gear. he told me it was reverse, so i let off the brake and clutch a bit, and it JUMPED forward, almost going off the little cliff we have(its only a foot drop i mean, but the underside of the car woulda been gone). i barely got the brake down in time. the front tires were literally almost off the ledge. scary shit. i put the ebrake ALL the way up, and got out of the car and pushed the car back myself. gotta love football training lol

but yea, you can learn online for the most part, but you obviously need to practice. watching a few youtube videos will help you burn out less clutches though =P

Quick Reply: Trade 2011 TSX auto for manual?