View Poll Results: Keep the 2010 TSX 6MT or Trade it for the 2011 BMW 335d 6AT
I would keep the 2010 TSX 6mt
78.57%
I would trade it for the 2011 335d w/o the extended warranty
7.14%
I would trade if for the 2011 335d with extended warranty (cost extra $4k)
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

TRADE?? 10 TSX6MT 26k miles for 2011 BMW 335d 6AT w/ 50k miles&100k extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TRADE?? 10 TSX6MT 26k miles for 2011 BMW 335d 6AT w/ 50k miles&100k extended warranty

I've owned a slew of honda, nissan, toyota, vw and bmw cars over the years.

I currently use a 2010 tsx 6mt with 26k miles as my family car (have a wife and kid and daily driver. I'm considering trading it for the 2011 bmw 335d with 50k miles and an extended warranty upto 100k miles to increase the thrill factor. My summer / track car is a turbo ap2 s2000 with about 500hp, but i use a lower map to put out 340hp for street use.

the tsx is pretty much trouble free, but lacks the thrills of the 335d in my mind (very personal). it also has a lot lower milage and is still under warranty (powertrain) till i think i hit 60k miles (in canada)

the bmw is not a reliable and has potential carbon build up issues for the intake, injectors and head. general and preventative maintenance is more expensive with the bmw.

I need to spend about $13,300 before taxes to do the swap without the extended warranty (they are giving me a bit of low ball on the trade, but still acceptable). The extended warranty is an extra $4,000 for an additional 40 years and an extra 50k (I won't drive more than 50k in the next 4 years)

I know cars choice and purchases are very personal, but any feedback is greatly appreciated and welcomed if you can point out any flaws in my thinking please let me know...and if your not a douche bag I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in your area....hahahahah

Reviews of the 335d:

https://www.google.com/search?q=335d...m=119&ie=UTF-8
Old 03-09-2014, 01:01 AM
Instructor

I also have 128i that my significant other uses as her DD but I have access to it anytime.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
I'm actually in the market for a car too (just signed up tonight because I want a TSX!) and was looking at a fewer older 335i's. Like you said it's all personal preference, but for me, the reliability factor and horrible gas mileage were the biggest turn offs. But then again, I wasn't opting for any extended warranty and the fact of owning a used German scared me. If you have the cash to get the extended warranty and think it's worth the near 20k swing, then go for it. Maybe it's just me, but I think that's too much honestly.

Just curious, how much are the offering for your TSX trade in?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by sr20bet
I've owned a slew of honda, nissan, toyota, vw and bmw cars over the years.

I currently use a 2010 tsx 6mt with 26k miles as my family car (have a wife and kid and daily driver. I'm considering trading it for the 2011 bmw 335d with 50k miles and an extended warranty upto 100k miles to increase the thrill factor. My summer / track car is a turbo ap2 s2000 with about 500hp, but i use a lower map to put out 340hp for street use.

the tsx is pretty much trouble free, but lacks the thrills of the 335d in my mind (very personal). it also has a lot lower milage and is still under warranty (powertrain) till i think i hit 60k miles (in canada)

the bmw is not a reliable and has potential carbon build up issues for the intake, injectors and head. general and preventative maintenance is more expensive with the bmw.

I need to spend about $13,300 before taxes to do the swap without the extended warranty (they are giving me a bit of low ball on the trade, but still acceptable). The extended warranty is an extra $4,000 for an additional 40 years and an extra 50k (I won't drive more than 50k in the next 4 years)

I know cars choice and purchases are very personal, but any feedback is greatly appreciated and welcomed if you can point out any flaws in my thinking please let me know...and if your not a douche bag I'll buy you a beer next time I'm in your area....hahahahah

Reviews of the 335d:

https://www.google.com/search?q=335d...m=119&ie=UTF-8
I've never quite understood the reasoning behind these threads. How the heck should we know what you should do? Write down the pros and cons like maintenance, MT versus AT, over $18K to do the swap, gas versus diesel (which would be a big consideration in the US right now, since diesel costs about 25% more than regular and could easily negate any potential mileage savings), resale, dealer availability and competence, driving dynamics, etc. and just make a decision.
The following users liked this post:
sr20bet (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts
Do it! Without ext warranty, dump it in 2 or 3 years, repeat.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Read the bimmer forums, seem like the 2010+ models and up are quite reliable (although you are still in risk of the pump failure.)

Also, both are completely different cars, performance goes to the bimmer in all categories by two, three, four folds.

My advice, go with the bimmer if its not financially constraining for you.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Simba91102
I've never quite understood the reasoning behind these threads. How the heck should we know what you should do? Write down the pros and cons like maintenance, MT versus AT, over $18K to do the swap, gas versus diesel (which would be a big consideration in the US right now, since diesel costs about 25% more than regular and could easily negate any potential mileage savings), resale, dealer availability and competence, driving dynamics, etc. and just make a decision.
I guess I was hoping to run into someone who has experience with both these cars to give a more well informed opinion than my mental extrapolation.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for your feedback and views. Greatly appreciated, but I cannot buy you a beer if I pass by your locale....hahahahaha
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mmafighta
Read the bimmer forums, seem like the 2010+ models and up are quite reliable (although you are still in risk of the pump failure.)

Also, both are completely different cars, performance goes to the bimmer in all categories by two, three, four folds.

My advice, go with the bimmer if its not financially constraining for you.
Finances aren't really a problem. I guess there is just more of a value play with the tsx, but the 335d has a bit more excitement.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
I guess I was hoping to run into someone who has experience with both these cars to give a more well informed opinion than my mental extrapolation.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you for your feedback and views. Greatly appreciated, but I cannot buy you a beer if I pass by your locale....hahahahaha
Had the 335 from new. First dealer visit after it left me stranded at 2800 miles. Another visit at 4k and so on. Sure, it was covered under warranty but I drove more Enterprise rentals than I drove my car. I even drove a Mini for 60 days at one stretch.

I went several major dealers. Most were fairly incompetent and arrogant.

That's when I dumped the BMW and got the TSX. The TSX cost half of the BMW and the dealers are significantly better and have Acura loaners.

I will never buy another BMW in the US.
bagwell (04-01-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
I don't think you should really compare a TSX to a 335 in the first place. a TL is more comparable.

The TL is reliable, cheaper(?), and with the shawd can be a fun car... I'd take a look at that.
sr20bet (04-13-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Europen cars are very expensive to maintain. There is also a reason for low reliability ratings. Go for the BMW if you have deep pockets and can stomach repeated dealer visits. I wouldn't even think about it without extended warranty.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Had the 335 from new. First dealer visit after it left me stranded at 2800 miles. Another visit at 4k and so on. Sure, it was covered under warranty but I drove more Enterprise rentals than I drove my car. I even drove a Mini for 60 days at one stretch.

I went several major dealers. Most were fairly incompetent and arrogant.

That's when I dumped the BMW and got the TSX. The TSX cost half of the BMW and the dealers are significantly better and have Acura loaners.

I will never buy another BMW in the US.
Wow, sorry to hear the bad news. Sounds like you got a lemon. You should have used the lemon laws to resolve your problems.

I've had a e46 and 128i in the past/current. I've never had any serious problems other than general maintaince, but the maintence was typically more expensive than a honda/acura by about 50-100% depending on what was being done. I guess if things go bad it could get pretty bad b/c everything needs to be done by the dealer (typically).

knock on wood thus far.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:30 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear the bad news. Sounds like you got a lemon. You should have used the lemon laws to resolve your problems.
Sounds like my Audi. What a train wreck. Lemon laws are pretty nitpicky, also, depending on your state.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I've had a e46 and 128i in the past/current. I've never had any serious problems other than general maintaince, but the maintence was typically more expensive than a honda/acura by about 50-100% depending on what was being done. I guess if things go bad it could get pretty bad b/c everything needs to be done by the dealer (typically).

knock on wood thus far.
I did. Unfortunately for other BMW owners, mine wasn't the only lemon - they all were. BMW should have known when they received complaints in 2007 about failing fuel pumps that it was an issue. BMW didn't do anything about it but replaced fuel pumps by the ton. In 2010/2011 they mostly sorted the problem but the 335 is now on the Consumer Reports do not buy list as a used car because of those issues.

Takeaway - if you have a true lemon then call a lemon lawyer and let them handle it. They get paid by the manufacturer and in all cases will get you more than if go at it alone.

A coworker was ready to trade his Buik because of recurring issues. I referred him to the lawyer I used and he walked away with $4k - enough to make him happy about trading his car.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 AM
Instructor

Wow, the poll says 80% to keep the tsx.

How many of you guys have driven a 335i or 335d? Just curious.

Thanks for all your polling thus far (it won't affect my decision....hahhahah)
Old 03-18-2014, 06:15 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It isn't the driving experience, where the 335 (either gas or diesel) is superior, but the overall ownership experience where Acura (and Lexus) runs rings around the Germans.

I had an S6 and my mom had a Lexus RX300. Both dealers were owned by Sonic and shared the same driveway and used car lot.

When I brought my S6 in for a $150 oil change, I got a lukewarm cup of coffee from one of those pump thermos' and - if I was lucky - a stale donut. If I wanted transportation, then I could either walk to the bus stop or catch a ride on their "shuttle" to Metro.

When I took my mom's car in for her $50 oil change, I was handed the keys to a Lexus loaner or - if I wanted to wait - I'd get a latte made by a real person and a brand name (usually Einstein or Dunkin) bagel and an assortment of cream cheese. If I didn't want coffee then I could get a soda (in a cup with ice) and later appointments get cold cuts, chips and candy bars.

My current Acura dealer is open from 6am to midnight (including most holidays) and doesn't want appointments. They have 150+ loaners and are happy to give you a choice of different models. Their waiting room isn't quite so fancy, but they have a commercial Keurig (or a 'fridge full of sodas) and an assortment of packaged pastries (those Sam's Club bear claws that last 100 years without going stale). I took my car to them last Friday at 8pm for an A1 service and an alignment and was back out of there at 930.

With BMW, they are happy to make you a latte for $5 and sell you a bagel for $4. Otherwise, you can go to the service counter and get a cup of cool coffee from the mechanic's carafe to go with the grocery store donut. Loaners are almost always Enterprise and I've driven Altimas a few times, Impalas a couple of times, Cavaliers multiple times and that Mini for 60 days. Once I got a BMW loaner from Enterprise.

The Japanese manufacturers don't do it out of the goodness of their hearts and you pay for it up front, but they have recognized the value of customer service. Even my wife's Honda dealer gives her a coupon for a cup of coffee and a bagel at the bagel shop across the street from the dealership - cheaper for them in the long run because they can have a smaller waiting room and don't need to worry about snacks.
rawger (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 369 Posts
Lexus is great. Last time I went for an oil change the lounge had a ton of snacks or fresh sandwiches even. You can use iPads or even a full MacBook, one area dedicated especially to watching TV or a movie. Probably the best waiting experience ever.

Besides all that, just because you have the warranty doesn't mean you want to go in every other month because something is broken. It becomes a nuisance and inconvenient. And if you get stuck with a BMW that is like that, you're not gonna have a good time.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, you had to know how this would go, right? There are many here (including myself) who have either come from German cars, or have added an Acura to a fleet that includes German cars. I drove Audi's for many years (and had great luck with them, though I didn't keep one beyond the warranty period, and that was back when Audi offered 4 years/50K miles of free maintenance), but when our driving needs were about to change (from 10K miles a year to 30K+), I knew we had to make a change. We bought our first TSK in 2005 and haven't looked back. I've never included the TSX in the market that the Audi A4, the 3 series BMW, and the C class Benz occupy, because when comparably equipped, the German cars list at from $10K to $15K more. The TSX literally created the market it occupies, and still has no real head to head competition. I think your comparison is apples to oranges, but you think it's a valid one, so I suppose that's all that matters. Good luck with your choice,
Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
I'd spring for a regular 335i instead.. The 335d is cool and all, but is 0.7-0.9 sec. slower to 60 then the 335i, and the 335i seems to have a larger selection of aftermarket performance parts then the 335d. Since your leasing, many of the tunes for the 335 are fully reversable.
sr20bet (04-13-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VR1
I'd spring for a regular 335i instead.. The 335d is cool and all, but is 0.7-0.9 sec. slower to 60 then the 335i, and the 335i seems to have a larger selection of aftermarket performance parts then the 335d. Since your leasing, many of the tunes for the 335 are fully reversable.
The fuel economy and dpf deletes make the 335d a powerful car with great fuel economy.

If the 335i had the same fuel economy i would def spring for a 335i instead.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by iCrap
I don't think you should really compare a TSX to a 335 in the first place. a TL is more comparable.

The TL is reliable, cheaper(?), and with the shawd can be a fun car... I'd take a look at that.
I test drove a shawd TL 2013. I'll write my review in a bit when i have time.

in short, I didn't like it compared to the tsx.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Instructor

I test drove three different 335d and own 2010 tsx 6mt. I'll tried to buy 2 of the 335d, but was beaten by two other buyers by a few hours. I'm extremely busy with work, so when I went in both times to but the car with my salesperson, they found out the cars were sold after preparing some paperwork.

One was sold the night before and the other was sold 3 hour before.

I'll write a comparison between the two in this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...8#post14986018

I'm on hold in terms of buying a 335d mainly due to risk due to reliability. it's not only the fixing of the car....it's my time. i don't have much time for garages and the dealership or fixing it myself. too busy.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Shit like this always cracks me up lol.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
If you got the itch and if money isnt a factor, or possible repair costs should you not opt for warranty, do it.
If that kid of yours plans on going to college maybe reconsider and keep things longer.
Drive the wife's 1 series for minor thrills?