Stupid Race: Lexus ES350 v. TSX V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Good show Professor. But promise yourself not to do that again!

I have a similar story, but at lower speeds and with less hostility. And I promised myself not to do it again.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:23 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
When I drive at that speed, two hands on the wheel and two eyes scanning the road and mirrors. Forget the gauges, tune out the radio, and plan for at least 4 times the distance to make lanes changes or braking procedures.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Not really a war story but more like an ongoing war. Does anyone else have a problem with pickup trucks? Especially the ones that are jacked up a bit or just bigger than an F250? Every time I'm in the HOV lane (speed limit of 65, always do 75) there is a truck that I know is going at least 70, which I don't have a problem with. Then they start to very slowly slow down. I know this game well. I see an opening and take it but by the time I get around them there are on my ass while I'm doing 90-95. What was the point? To start shit? I don't go out of my way to be an ass to drivers unless they are screwing around or playing games on the road which I do not tolerate. But seriously. The drivers here in Virginia Beach are the absolute worst I've ever seen. Especially in regards to playing games.

Just the other week I was getting on the 264 on-ramp and this little shitty nissan sentra thought I cut him off. I didn't think I did but whatever. It wasn't the end of the world. Up ahead while merging on the expressway I got a clearing and took two left lane changes and was cruising up past all the slow folk. He was in the far right lane. He was soooo angry at me he jerked his wheel as hard as he could without paying attention to anyone else to try to sideswipe me. I mean he actually TRIED to hit me! I was like, what the hell is up with this guy? So I kept driving and I see a car coming up a little quicker on my left. It is him. Ok. Peace be with you my friend and have a great day. Not that easy. He got one car length in front of me then shifted over to stradle the dotted line to the left. I was like, ok, someone wants to play. As soon as I mashed the gas (and yes I was going to the left because he didn't think I'd try to make that kind of turn around him) and I cut hard left he literally locked up his brakes. I could smell rubber from his tires. I got around him just fine and he seemed perplexed as to how I didn't hit him. I was kind of shocked too. I just decided to avoid anymore confrontation with him and sped off because he was going to kill someone. He took a different exit shortly after.

My question is, what is so damn important that people feel the need to endanger everyone's life on the road because they get a little bent out of shape over something so insignificant? I still don't understand it but I'll tell you what, your sunroof can become a handy little tool in the future. That and a handful of quarters. At 60 that'll crack a windshield. At 90 it'll destroy it.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Tannis
Not really a war story but more like an ongoing war. Does anyone else have a problem with pickup trucks? Especially the ones that are jacked up a bit or just bigger than an F250? Every time I'm in the HOV lane (speed limit of 65, always do 75) there is a truck that I know is going at least 70, which I don't have a problem with. Then they start to very slowly slow down. I know this game well. I see an opening and take it but by the time I get around them there are on my ass while I'm doing 90-95. What was the point? To start shit? I don't go out of my way to be an ass to drivers unless they are screwing around or playing games on the road which I do not tolerate. But seriously. The drivers here in Virginia Beach are the absolute worst I've ever seen. Especially in regards to playing games.

Just the other week I was getting on the 264 on-ramp and this little shitty nissan sentra thought I cut him off. I didn't think I did but whatever. It wasn't the end of the world. Up ahead while merging on the expressway I got a clearing and took two left lane changes and was cruising up past all the slow folk. He was in the far right lane. He was soooo angry at me he jerked his wheel as hard as he could without paying attention to anyone else to try to sideswipe me. I mean he actually TRIED to hit me! I was like, what the hell is up with this guy? So I kept driving and I see a car coming up a little quicker on my left. It is him. Ok. Peace be with you my friend and have a great day. Not that easy. He got one car length in front of me then shifted over to stradle the dotted line to the left. I was like, ok, someone wants to play. As soon as I mashed the gas (and yes I was going to the left because he didn't think I'd try to make that kind of turn around him) and I cut hard left he literally locked up his brakes. I could smell rubber from his tires. I got around him just fine and he seemed perplexed as to how I didn't hit him. I was kind of shocked too. I just decided to avoid anymore confrontation with him and sped off because he was going to kill someone. He took a different exit shortly after.

My question is, what is so damn important that people feel the need to endanger everyone's life on the road because they get a little bent out of shape over something so insignificant? I still don't understand it but I'll tell you what, your sunroof can become a handy little tool in the future. That and a handful of quarters. At 60 that'll crack a windshield. At 90 it'll destroy it.
You need to ask yourself that question. From your description it sounds like you were the reckless driver.

As far as the quarters are concerned, that could be considered anything from assault to manslaughter. People have gone to jail for throwing big gulps at other cars.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
^ Yeah why throw away big $$$ when you can throw a 2.99 box of nails out the sunroof, or I have a string attached to a bottle of Quaker State under the rear bumper to yank and spin them out? What was that old video game that had the smoke and all the evade/disable gadgets?
Old 03-17-2012, 02:21 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Received 825 Likes on 636 Posts
tannis, that driver sounds like a jackass.

true tho..im in carpool lane going 75ish, consistent with the car infront of me (i left a few car lenghts in between) then this bigass truck comes along and ridding my ass the whole way...i usually just get out of the carpool lane when i have a chance and let them pass lol. they will speed off thinking they are the boss, only to get back to 75mph behind that car that was infront of me lol
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by ed_423
tannis, that driver sounds like a jackass.

true tho..im in carpool lane going 75ish, consistent with the car infront of me (i left a few car lenghts in between) then this bigass truck comes along and ridding my ass the whole way...i usually just get out of the carpool lane when i have a chance and let them pass lol. they will speed off thinking they are the boss, only to get back to 75mph behind that car that was infront of me lol
I always get out of people's way if it's clear in front of me and I don't want to go faster. It's easier for me to let them go, get back in the left lane and pass the cars on the right at my on pace.

If there's traffic in my lane, I usually slow down to the speed limit and let the tailgater enjoy going slower. Sometimes they try to pass on the right and I mildly accelerate to stay aligned with the driver's door. Bad behavior I know.
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (03-17-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tannis

Ha... That's how I ended up with a TSX. I had a '99 3.0CL, was on the way home from the gym a few days before Christmas, just minding my business. I merge onto the highway it's 5 lanes wide, some assbutt in a BMW jumps on my tail and high beams me, 2 lanes wide open on my left so im like wtf, and i just let off the gas so he will get a clue and go around. He doesn't, so I move over toward the left lane (lane 1) picking up speed to continue on my way. He follows, so I brake and act like im going into lane 2. This blowhard goes all the way to lane 5, so I get back in my lane and in one swipe he comes across all lanes and tries to hit me... Like there was a car at my 1 o'clock with less than a car length between us and he tries to squeeze between that so he can brake check me. I end up braking really hard and martyring my car as to not rear end this toolsucker and be at fault. RIP CL. He kept going as i spun out, bounced off the wall, and ended up facing oncoming traffic. Fortunately some witnesses pulled over to back me up on the police report because he near-missed at least 4 cars in the process as well. The insurance went toward my TSX. What goes around comes around though so it'll catch up to him. I just expect hatred and idiocy on the road nowadays. People get dumber and drivers get worse as time goes on, so I just try to spot and avoid these kinds of drivers. Biding my time til I can just teleport

Last edited by busyb02; 03-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fyi

to those gents living in VA, throwing any "projectile/missile" from your vehicle is a felony.
Years ago when I owned my Jeep Wrangler I ran into a few asshats on my way home. Mind you the Jeep was slightly lifted (2.5 inches, nothing too much so nobody would question my manhood). Its late and I'm traveling home from my sisters place, she lives in Winchester. So I'm on Rt 7 east bound out of town. 7 is a divided highway 2 lanes on each side. Traffic is non existant this late, and as a precaution against deer, I ride the left lane. I see a car approaching, so I swing over to right way before they even get to me, this way they dont even have to slow. After they pass I ease back over. This is when the fun starts, they feel I'm high beaming them and throw a barrage of garbage out of the windows of the car. I give a couple of flicks of my high beams to show I'm not being a dick, and I slow way down. This just makes it worse. They slow and now the bottles come flying out, one breaks my passenger side window, cracks my windshield. I swing into the next town hopeing for a local cop to be on patrol. No luck, and they are not stopping so I stop in a parking lot, dial 911. They stop and get out and one's got a baseball bat. I do not suggest my next step to anyone but I'm in fear for my life at this point, when they approach I pull my H&K USP compact 40 cal. I have had my carry permit for years this is the first time I have ever pulled my gun on anyone. They freak out and I make them get down on the ground until the cops arrive. Well the cop of course bears down on me, but I was thinking somewhat during my 911 call and told them I have a weapon and would use it, so I place the gun on the deck even before he can utter the words. To make a long story from being even longer, they were charged with multiple counts of "projectile/missile from a moving vehicle, and the one with the bat, I believe was charged with reckless endangerment. So guys thinking of sunroof tossing, be careful. A more passive yet effective way to ease off a tailgaiter, is to side over on to a dirty shoulder and kick up gravel on their car. Of course this could spur on more anger since some people are just out to cause trouble, as in my case above. Drugs and alcohol were in play with that incident. Bottom line just be safe out there, people are stupid.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

wait you were charged with reckless endangerment???

is it because you had the gun? but you had a permit? (i know nothing about gun permits and law, so excuse me if its a dumb question)

what were your consequences ?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

wait you were charged with reckless endangerment???

is it because you had the gun? but you had a permit? (i know nothing about gun permits and law, so excuse me if its a dumb question)

what were your consequences ?
Not, the other guy was charged. Throwing things out the window is reckless endangerment - having a concealed carry permit and a gus is smart.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM
SeeYou2Crew #2

ohh my bad i read wrong haha. i left the "believe" out and read "i was charged with..."

Old 03-18-2012, 04:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

ohh my bad i read wrong haha. I left the "believe" out and read "i was charged with..."

Old 03-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts
ceb carries a gun that reminds him of his late teens, its a musket. i believe the same model that george washington used. needless to say, cebs trunk is full of black powder and musket balls. <3

im actually going to be apply for a gun permit soon, then a carry, but NJ is extremely difficult to attain a firearms card, and even harder to get a carry.(i will never pull it unless its really needed)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 215 Likes on 169 Posts
At least you don't live in California, where you're considered a right-wing redneck if you want to protect your family and property. Those guns are soooo evil!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys out, yesterday. I was not charged (damn, I thought I proofed it a little better) the guy with the bat was. On the other hand if I had not in my call to 911 say I had a weapon and said I was in imminent danger, an LEO pulling up to the scene could have assumed I was the aggressor at first. Like I said, this was the first time I have ever pulled it. I started carrying when I started motorcycle riding into more rural areas of my state(WV). I figured if I heard banjo's, there was no way I was getting bent over without firing rounds down range first
Pyro- I'm sure you’re taking owning a handgun a very serious responsibility. I always suggest to new owners (and by no means am I an expert) to take plenty of courses for gun safety and situational training. The better you know you and your weapon, the better you know you won't have to use it. Good luck on getting your CCW I'm sure it can be any worse than MD, they do not believe in the right to bears arms and self preservation. It’s just like having a little CA on the east coast.
AND apologies to the OP, this was not intended as as thread jack.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wvtriple
Sorry guys out, yesterday. I was not charged (damn, I thought I proofed it a little better) the guy with the bat was. On the other hand if I had not in my call to 911 say I had a weapon and said I was in imminent danger, an LEO pulling up to the scene could have assumed I was the aggressor at first. Like I said, this was the first time I have ever pulled it. I started carrying when I started motorcycle riding into more rural areas of my state(WV). I figured if I heard banjo's, there was no way I was getting bent over without firing rounds down range first
Pyro- I'm sure you’re taking owning a handgun a very serious responsibility. I always suggest to new owners (and by no means am I an expert) to take plenty of courses for gun safety and situational training. The better you know you and your weapon, the better you know you won't have to use it. Good luck on getting your CCW I'm sure it can be any worse than MD, they do not believe in the right to bears arms and self preservation. It’s just like having a little CA on the east coast.
There are changes afoot in MD that may well affect other states as well, but this is a discussion for a different forum.

I have a ccw under the old/current MD rules and, quite simply, one false step and that thing is gone for good. Gun ownership is serious business and one needs the proper mindset to deal with the responsibility.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
SeeYou2Crew #2

Originally Posted by wvtriple
haha nah, you said it right, i just read it wrong