See what Edmunds.com has to say about the 2009 TSX! LOL

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
See what Edmunds.com has to say about the 2009 TSX! LOL

"Ignore that, um, aggressive grille for a moment and the TSX's new, more angular body is attractively muscular. Throw in that slices-dices-makes-Lyonnaise-potatoes grille, however, and it looks like Acura is outsourcing some styling tasks to KitchenAid.

What this means to you: Put those hopes of a turbocharged TSX on hold for now as the upcoming 2009 model is essentially a warmed version of the current sedan. — John Pearley Huffman, Correspondent"

I guess the folks at Edmunds.com love the new grille (NOT!!! LOL) and they were also completely hoping for a turbo engine too... sigh....
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO one likes the new grill. I have a feeling it will be changed by 2010 (or at least i hope!)
Old 02-14-2008, 12:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Euro grill swap!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would not expect a different grille for at least two model years. even subaru held onto that awful grille design (tri-pod) for two years before it went bye-bye on several models.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04-6mt-atx
i would not expect a different grille for at least two model years. even subaru held onto that awful grille design (tri-pod) for two years before it went bye-bye on several models.
Honestly...I am very disappointed for the new TSX is hugely bland with no major change...what happened to the Honda Sports Concept. The new model isnt anything like it... terrible and boring. I'll stick with my 06 until it dies...
Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by 04-6mt-atx
I thought of Subaru too. The B9 Tribeca is amongst the ugliest vehicles of all time, IMO, I don't know what they were thinking then, and I don't know what Acura is thinking now.

So glad I have an '06... hoping my buddy gets a good tax return so he can get a new '08 now before they're all gone.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ostrich
"Ignore that, um, aggressive grille for a moment and the TSX's new, more angular body is attractively muscular. Throw in that slices-dices-makes-Lyonnaise-potatoes grille, however, and it looks like Acura is outsourcing some styling tasks to KitchenAid.
That is a direct hit, right on target. I have a KitchenAid peeler that looks like like this grill.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Darn those KitchenAid and designer teams!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the new TSX body, it went in the direction of the styling of the new USDM accord wich I also like , and as for it being bland its nothing a lip kit and some decent wheels wont fix.

New body style's always take some getting used to but i bet it will grow on people.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by davidspalding
That is a direct hit, right on target. I have a KitchenAid peeler that looks like like this grill.

(of the KitchenAid Peeler)
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Banned

Like this?

I've read a few opinion pieces in the news about the RL grill restyling, and nobody says anything about it being ugly, let alone the joke of the industry. What they're saying ranges anywhere from average to better looking than the previous grill. Is the criticism it's receiving from these forums elitist?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by wackura
Like this?

I've read a few opinion pieces in the news about the RL grill restyling, and nobody says anything about it being ugly, let alone the joke of the industry. What they're saying ranges anywhere from average to better looking than the previous grill. Is the criticism it's receiving from these forums elitist?
No it is not elitist, it is just that we do not rely on advertising $$$.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kitchen-Aid, huh? Well then, I'm just going to wait for them to offer the Susan G Komen edition TSX. I need a pink one for the lady in my life.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 AM
F-C
Senior Moderator

Received 1,068 Likes on 767 Posts
I love Kitchen-Aid.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I have two varieties of KitchenAid peelers in my drawer (yes, I have a bunch, they're rock solid, super effective). This is more what I was thinking of ... the logo big and bold and gawd-awful like those cK clothes with the logo taking up so much space.

Even more so:

Old 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Advanced

What is up with Acura designers. There are amateur artists that could come up with better stuff then them. Just check out some of he nice photochops that people post up here. The new TSX just doesn't do anything special styling wise. It's a minor change from the last gen but with an ugly grill. I mean, they come with some good designs like the current TL and TSX. The MDX and RDX are ok as well. With the new TSX they again went for a conservative design but stuck a crazy grill on it. The same thing is true for the RL, it looks nice but the grill has got to go. What the hell were they thinking. I hope the TL looks good but odds are it'll have the same stupid grill.

What doesn't make any sense to me is that they came up with the sports 4 concept and told us that it would be the next TSX and now the new TSX looks nothing like it. Lots of people including myself really liked that design and we were all expecting the new TSX to look like that, at least a production friendly version of it. I think the new TSX is ok but it is not enough of a change and I'm not fond of the grill. I was hoping for something a little more aggressive and eye catching like the sports 4 concept. People will barely even notice this new TSX.

They've done the same thing with the NSX. Everyone wants a lightweight, mid engined, RWD supercar that stays true to the original NSX concept. When they came out with the HSC concept, people actually liked it and viewed it as a worthy NSX successor, but they scrapped it. Instead they brought us a bloated front engine AWD concept last year and people either hated it or didn't even take notice. Now they've gone back to the drawing board once again. I really hope that Acura comes up with some better designs in the future or they will never be looked at as a luxury car maker.

How many times have we asked for V8's and RWD but Acura seems to be totally deaf to our requests.

I think Acura's line up should be like this:

1. Combine the TSX and TL into one entry level luxury model. Keep it on the Accord platform with front wheel drive and have SH-AWD optional. Offer it in 4cyl and V6 versions. The size should be about the same as the current TL or new TSX and it should be priced about the same. A sport wagon version would be good too.

2. A RWD sport sedan and coupe using a brand new RWD platform. It must have an attractive emotional design and at the same time be distinctive as an Acura. Base engines should be V6's. A type-S model with a V8 or at the very least a super/turbocharged V6. It should be just slightly larger than the TL.

3. RDX can continue as is.

4. MDX can continue as is but add V8 and diesel options eventually.

5. Another sporty SUV like the FX45 based on the RWD sport sedan platform.

6. Replace the RL with a real flagship sedan. RWD and optional AWD. It could potentially use a stretched version of the smaller RWD platform. Use an aluminum unibody to keep weight down. It must have a V8 and go head to head with Lexus LS, BMW 7 series, MB S class, etc.

7. A new NSX. Mid engine, RWD and lightweight. V8 or V10 that should have at least 500 hp. Make it competitive with the Ferrari F430 or Audi R8.

8. Perhaps add a more luxurious grand touring sports car to target Aston Martin and Jaguar. That's what they said they wanted to do anyway for the NSX successor.

Make Type-S models like BMW's M cars.

Acura was the first Japanese luxury car maker in the US market and after over 20 years they should have been at the same level of Lexus and Infiniti. Instead, they are lagging behind severely. Look how Infiniti transformed their image in just 5 or 6 years, I hope Acura can do the same. Sorry for the long rant. The same things keep getting said over and over again and after seeing the new TSX I had to add my version. Lets just hope someone from Honda/Acura finally gets a hint. There are plans to move Acura upscale, they keep saying it will happen but I haven't seen it yet. Once the new TL is revealed we should have an idea of Acura's future.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:55 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

This thread cracks me up! Thanks guys, I needed that.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by shabaaz
What doesn't make any sense to me is that they came up with the sports 4 concept and told us that it would be the next TSX
Everything in your post is your opinion and appreciated, but this is wrong. Nobody ever said the Sports 4 was destined to be the TSX. It was nothing but a concept that points at future design themes for the brand.

All manufacturers make concepts that never see production, remember these?
Acura CL-X

Honda Dualnote

Others do this too:
Toyota MRJ

Corvettes

this is nothing new:
Firebird II & III

The point is that concept cars are nothing new and we should expect that they WON'T see production and not view it the other way around.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
Everything in your post is your opinion and appreciated, but this is wrong. Nobody ever said the Sports 4 was destined to be the TSX. It was nothing but a concept that points at future design themes for the brand.

All manufacturers make concepts that never see production, remember these?
Acura CL-X

Honda Dualnote

Others do this too:
Toyota MRJ

Corvettes

this is nothing new:
Firebird II & III

The point is that concept cars are nothing new and we should expect that they WON'T see production and not view it the other way around.
To summarize what everyone is really trying to say.... The new TSX simply isnt anything spectacular. A few tweaks here/there, but nothing special at all....

Again, I am very disappointed and I think I will go European next time....BMW and Audi never ceases to amaze me and they are more fun to drive. My next purchase will most likely be the 3 series hard-top convertible. The only reason I got the TSX was that it was a very cost-conscious option when compared to the BMW... Thankfully my 06 is almost paid off.....I am dying for the 3.....
Old 02-16-2008, 12:39 AM
Advanced

I never expected the next gen TSX to be exactly like the Sports 4 concept. I do recall however, Honda/Acura stating that the Sports 4 concept was a good indication of what the next gen Euro Accord/TSX would look like. The automotive press has been saying the same thing for years and it got my hopes up. That is why I was disappointed when they revealed the TSX and it had no similarities at all to that concept.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:07 AM
o_0
10th Gear

I agree the "blade" is not very attractive, but it is a variation on the current Acura grill theme (and I guess you make the cheapest the ugliest )... it is at least an attempt to have an "Acura" look

Really just jumping on the band wagon of the other Japanese sedan carmakers, in having the maker badge icon (or whatever you officially call the symbol thing) part of the end of the hood stretching down into the mesh grill. Toyota has it and their cars are unbelieveably ugly, but I guess they are very successful it seems, the Camry and Corolla are ugly as hell. Mazda has a similar thing going on. I guess it's a question of who imitates who, and that ugly stuff sells...

But among Europeans there are BMW with their "flaming" headlights and Mercedes with their "stoned" looking headlights that look heavy -lided, so they are not without criticism... it's been up to Audi/ VW to look cool.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by shabaaz
I never expected the next gen TSX to be exactly like the Sports 4 concept. I do recall however, Honda/Acura stating that the Sports 4 concept was a good indication of what the next gen Euro Accord/TSX would look like. The automotive press has been saying the same thing for years and it got my hopes up. That is why I was disappointed when they revealed the TSX and it had no similarities at all to that concept.
This is the original press release for the Sports 4 from the Tokyo Motor show:

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2005/sports4/

In no way, shape or form does it mention the Accord, TSX or any production model. Everything about this car becoming a production car was made up by the press and hyped on the internet for years now.

When I talked to my rep about the car being the the next TSX he laughed. He said," the TSX needs to be our entry level car, the Sports 4 is closer to the next TL" This was back in 2005. It's funny, as I look at it now, the lower part of the front grill is exactly as the current TL is with the split openings.

Please don't think any of my post is directed only at you, I'm not singling you out. Its just that I think everyone is reading too much into concept cars and making it seem like only Honda creates these things and never makes them.

Good rule of thumb: if the concept looks too good to be true, guess what, it probably is!

Second rule of thumb: If Honda calls it a "prototype" it is made with the final production tools and dies and will be the car you can buy. They are disguising the 'prototype' with 20" wheels and a body kit, no mirrors (cameras) and no windshield wipers (air jets). BUT the sheetmetal is done.

On a side note: if you think we're 'betrayed' by what Honda has done, just think how the Corvette guys must feel! Damn that Corvette Indy looks great! (oh and the Firebirds used a gas turbine engine)
Old 02-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Drifting

It's the size that made people think it's the new TSX...

This is the original press release for the Sports 4 from the Tokyo Motor show:

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2005/sports4/

In no way, shape or form does it mention the Accord, TSX or any production model. Everything about this car becoming a production car was made up by the press and hyped on the internet for years now.

When I talked to my rep about the car being the the next TSX he laughed. He said," the TSX needs to be our entry level car, the Sports 4 is closer to the next TL" This was back in 2005. It's funny, as I look at it now, the lower part of the front grill is exactly as the current TL is with the split openings.
Colin, I think it's the size that made people think that it's the new TSX. The Sports 4 Concept is 4580mm long, which is basically 180 inches. So this was too short to be the TL and about the same size (just a little shorter) than the TSX. Hence all the speculations by posters here, as well as the auto press, that this was going to be the new TSX.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by o_0
it's been up to Audi/ VW to look cool.
Yeah, like when Audi changed the grill on the A6 to extend waaayyy down into the bumber. THAT was attractive. The previous gen A6 front end was so much better looking.

They all make bonehead moves.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
Colin, I think it's the size that made people think that it's the new TSX. The Sports 4 Concept is 4580mm long, which is basically 180 inches. So this was too short to be the TL and about the same size (just a little shorter) than the TSX. Hence all the speculations by posters here, as well as the auto press, that this was going to be the new TSX.
I understand. But concepts are always small. The HSC that everyone loves to moan about was so small anyone over 5'6" wouldn't fit in it. The engine bay would only hold a V-6 and the fuel tank only held about 10 gallons.

I guess having been a car enthusiast for years and years, I've seen many concepts come and go. Aren't we all glad they never made this RDX concept?!

Old 02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Drifting

LOL! What a lovely "concept"!!!

I understand. But concepts are always small. The HSC that everyone loves to moan about was so small anyone over 5'6" wouldn't fit in it. The engine bay would only hold a V-6 and the fuel tank only held about 10 gallons.

I guess having been a car enthusiast for years and years, I've seen many concepts come and go. Aren't we all glad they never made this RDX concept?!

Too true, Colin! That "concept" monstrosity was beyond humanly possible ugliness! Even the Aztec looks beautiful next to it!!! LOL Thanks for the good laugh!