Looking for sway bar bushing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for sway bar bushing advice.

2011 wagon. Installed Suspension Techniques 19mm rear bar. One bushing supplied with ST bar fell apart. Literally, about 20-25% of the bushing was gone. ST sent replacement bushings. Now, one seems to bind, resulting in a clunk when the bar shifts into place. Always thought you weren't supposed to lube rubber bushings, but wondering if maybe that's the cure. Corrosion Pro has been recommended. But, not sure if greasing rubber is such a good idea. Otherwise, replace the bushings, I guess. Generic replacement bushings may not be better than what I have. I would guess Acura bushings, like for a 19mm CL might be higher quality. Or, go to poly bushings. This strictly a street car, so I don't know if poly bushings will end up being too hard. I've heard Energy Suspension bushings are a little softer than Prothane, so I'd probably get ES, and not the ones with the grease fitting. I've never driven a street car with poly bushings, so I don't know how much stiffer they'd feel on the street than rubber. And, if I go poly, should I replace the front bushings as well? I'm thinking try the grease first, unless it will take off the finish of the bar. Then, go with the CL bushings if the grease doesn't work. All thoughts and ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by notalk; 05-03-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
I wrap the sway bar area that touches the bushing with Teflon tape
Old 05-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
You won't really "feel" a loss of comfort with hard sway bar bushings.

Are you sure the ST bushings are rubber? Or are they a blend like Polyurethane?

Honda Shin Ehtsu or other silicone based greases work well for rubber. Very LIGHTLY apply the grease, though, or you'll get dirt caked on it.

Do you have photos of the bushings that are falling apart? Have any other chemicals been put on them? Brake cleaner or similar?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:13 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
I'm running Energy Suspension poly bushings on my Progress RSB, with Prothane grease. No issues. Mostly went with this setup to avoid common bushing squeaking noises to be honest; didn't really consider the hardness factor. No noises or issues for almost 3 years now.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Subscribed.

Do you have any photos of the damaged bushing on or off the car? A visual of bushing removed can explain on why the failure occurred.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:58 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
I use silicone dielectric compound to lube the bushings, it works well and the silicone does not alter the rubber.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

I'm not asking about the original bushing failure. (Most likely the result of the bushing manufacturer using reconstituted rubber instead of virgin rubber.) And, yes, the bushings are rubber.

I'll look into dielectric grease, because it's probably cheaper than Shin Ehtsu. But, Shin Ehtsu probably makes the most sense.

I wriggled the bushing a bit, there's about 1/8 - 1/4 inch of play. And, the clunk seems to have gone away. (It may have been the great wax/detail job I just did - cars always run better after a good detailing.) So, I'll see if the clunk returns. If so, order some Shin Ehtsu. Then, if still a problem, probable order CL or TL (or RSX) 19mm bushings. If I still have a problem, then Energy Suspension with regular lubing.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll update in case anyone else has a similar problem down the road.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,166 Likes on 877 Posts
the bar should not move inside the bushing at all. are you saying yours can move 1/8 to 1/4" inside the bushing? Or are you talking side to side sliding?
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

I'm saying the bushing can slide 1/8 - 1/4" within the width of (inside) the bracket.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Intermediate

See https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-...ay-bar-959048/ The proper brackets/hardware for the teflon-lined bushings have cured my clunk. Wish ST would have sent the hardware when they sent me the upgraded teflon-lined bushings to replace the earlier pure rubber bushings.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been using Energy Suspension bushings on my TSX for quite a while now (on a Comptech sway bar and more recently a Progress sway bar). The bushings are very good, but the grease is terrible. Every 6 months or so, I'd start hearing noise from the bushings; then I decided to try Mobil 1 grease instead, and I haven't had to do anything in 2 years -- and this is a car that goes to the track in 100 degree weather several times a year (I've had other problems because of that , but the bushings are fine)