ILX to be Manufactured in Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
ILX to be Manufactured in Indiana

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/a...lx-in-indiana/

So the rumor is that Acura is not only dumping the TSX but building the ILX in North America?
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Oh no! I guess my Japanese made TSX will be the last Acura I'll ever buy.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Карты убийцы

On second reading, maybe there's is hope the TSX and RL will survive out of Japan. I wouldn't think they'd close those factories.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Considering the yen to dollar ratio.. this is the only way Honda can do it. There is nothing wrong with a US-built Acura.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Considering the yen to dollar ratio.. this is the only way Honda can do it. There is nothing wrong with a US-built Acura.
Isn't the yen higher than the dollar causing Honda to lose money on the models they export?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Isn't the yen higher than the dollar causing Honda to lose money on the models they export?
If not actually losing money, it makes it hard to compete on price vs. feature content. It forces them to either raise prices or lower (or not add) content putting them at a disadvantage against the Koreans where the Won is surging.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by Colin
If not actually losing money, it makes it hard to compete on price vs. feature content. It forces them to either raise prices or lower (or not add) content putting them at a disadvantage against the Koreans where the Won is surging.
Makes since.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
There is nothing wrong with a US-built Acura.
Actually I have to respectfully disagree. An "American made" Acura would be like Ferrari being built in Detroit. It will lose its cache and probably increase the cost due to American wages. Or the worst case being they'll scale back the innovation on future models.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for American jobs and all that (hate outsourcing) but in this example it should continue to be made in Japan.

Matt
The following users liked this post:
Professor (01-07-2012)
Old 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeefe
Actually I have to respectfully disagree. An "American made" Acura would be like Ferrari being built in Detroit. It will lose its cache and probably increase the cost due to American wages.
first of all, if you think your acura has the cache of a ferrari (or any cache for that matter), you are truly delusional

secondly, tl's have proven to be every bit as reliably built as their japanese-born counterparts (so long as their transmissions are assembled in japan)

lastly, a v6 tsx tech sells for as much as a tl tech, which shows there are no cost savings by importing from japan
Old 01-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by Bo_Darville
first of all, if you think your acura has the cache of a ferrari (or any cache for that matter), you are truly delusional

secondly, tl's have proven to be every bit as reliably built as their japanese-born counterparts (so long as their transmissions are assembled in japan)

lastly, a v6 tsx tech sells for as much as a tl tech, which shows there are no cost savings by importing from japan
Bandit, that 6.6 litre, 200 h.p. is a little slow in 2012.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Developer & Car Fan

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
haha! I wasn't comparing the Ferrari to Acura. I am stating that brands need to stay true to their roots. As in Ferrari is born from Italy (Maranello) and Acura is born from Japan. Now its okay to assemble the cars here but I hope the R&D and overall brand sticks to Japan. Price aside the Acura brand has a history.

As an aside, don't even get me started on Ferrari!.. but thats another topic.

Thats all.
Matt
Old 01-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Actually I have to respectfully disagree. An "American made" Acura would be like Ferrari being built in Detroit. It will lose its cache and probably increase the cost due to American wages. Or the worst case being they'll scale back the innovation on future models.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for American jobs and all that (hate outsourcing) but in this example it should continue to be made in Japan.
I don't think a foreign company building premium vehicles in the U.S. is a problem at all, and apparently BMW and Mercedes agree. I believe some BMW models have been built exclusively in South Carolina. BMW also assembles many cars in Rosslyn, South Africa, some of which are sold here, and I've never heard a wimper about "African" BMWs.

It doesn't matter where something is built, only how, and the Japanese companies have done a masterful job proving that American labor was not the problem behind poor American cars in their dark days of the late 20th century.

Besides, the Acura brand was created for the North American market, so it seems appropriate to build them here.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
I don't think a foreign company building premium vehicles in the U.S. is a problem at all, and apparently BMW and Mercedes agree. I believe some BMW models have been built exclusively in South Carolina. BMW also assembles many cars in Rosslyn, South Africa, some of which are sold here, and I've never heard a wimper about "African" BMWs.

It doesn't matter where something is built, only how, and the Japanese companies have done a masterful job proving that American labor was not the problem behind poor American cars in their dark days of the late 20th century.

Besides, the Acura brand was created for the North American market, so it seems appropriate to build them here.
Agreed. Also, isn't only a minority of the Acura lineup still built in Japan? (RL and TSX). I know the TL, RDX, MDX, and ZDX are all built in North America.

I do know that the Lexus and Infiniti lineups are still assembled almost entirely in Japan. (RX and pre-2011 QX56s being the exception).
Old 01-07-2012, 05:34 PM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by Nedmundo

The next time you are traveling through SC, I'll arrange a tour of BMW and the Koolaide.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Damn. :/ That's disappointing. Although I know cars made in America have gotten better, there's always been a type of stigma around them. I've been raised like that to the point I don't think I could buy an American-made car, no matter what the marque is...

I hope the NSX is built in Japan though, really x:
Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
This is good, it will help them keep prices down and stay competitive.

The future C-class is going to be U.S. built likely and BMW already has a huge operation going on in SC, the Z4 has been built there for a while.

For the record, the current C-Class is also produced mostly in South Africa now, and it still has a bulletproof reputation. I spend a lot of time on the C forums and ive never heard of anyone having an issue related to an African benz.

In my opinion building a car away from home doesn't make it any less German or Japanese than if it were built overseas. They still have their unique cultural touches and flourishes that couldn't have come from anywhere else but from where they were incepted.

Don't forget that foreign cars built in america =/= american cars built in america.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Карты убийцы

I don't know. The TL was designed in Cali, and if the tranny wouldn't have seized before they could get it on a boat, maybe other parts of the world would know Acura.

Anecdotal:

1989 Prelude Si - Japan Made - Sold Stupid
1997 Accord EXL Coupe MT - Japan Made - Still Have 255K Miles
1993 Accord EX Sedan - American Made - Blown Motor 163K Miles
2003 Acura TL Sedan - American Made - 3 Trannies Every 40K Miles
2005 Acura RL Sedan - Japan Made - Still Have 148K Miles
2011 Acura TSX V6 - Japan Made - Still Have
Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 119 Posts
We dont even know what the thing looks like yet, but we know where its going to be built....wttffff
Old 01-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
I don't really think the country of manufacturing has much to do with anything anymore, seeing as the world is shrinking and economies are far more global than local these days...business decisions are made thousands of miles away that could effect quality at any given moment. My TSX was built in Japan and it has been far from trouble free, and why not bring some good manufacturing jobs back into the U.S.?!?
Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Карты убийцы

^ Because we refuse to adopt the metric system.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Matt
And I'll respectfully disagree with you.

I've owned nine Japan and US-built Hondas and Acuras, there is no difference in quality or reliability.

Hundreds of thousands of TL's, CL's, RDX's and MDX's are on the road, all built in the US. The exchange rate makes US labor more competitive, in addition Honda's lack of unionized manufacturing plants keep things competitive.

Last edited by Ken1997TL; 01-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:26 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
meh, not for me unless they start making all acuras in the US.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoke to a dealer about the ILX yesterday. He thinks the ILX will cause the TSX sedans to go away but Acura will keep the TSX wagon only. I read the same thing online somewhere. Sort of makes sense.

Tim
Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
This is actually old news. I think it was posted here almost a month ago. Honda will show a concept of the new Accord Coupe at the Detroit Auto Show. According to TOV the new gen accord will be 4-5 inches shorter and maybe 1 in less wide. Plus 2 hybrid variants. So I'm expecting this will be the basis of the new combined TSX/TL as a 2013 model. So with the ILX slotting in on the entry level, and a new smaller TL at the mid level with better fuel economy, that leaves room for the 'flagship' RL with the hybrid SH-AWD at the high end.

With this line up I think then all Acura's except the RL will be built in North America. Not sure where engines and trannies will be built. I've been the victim of an Accord tranny and don't want to go there again.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
SEEYOU2CREW

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by VortexBlueTSX
We dont even know what the thing looks like yet, but we know where its going to be built....wttffff
I'm pretty sure we have a false image stuck in our heads of what we think the ILX will sort of look like...at least i do...pshhh civic based...tch CSX....
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Карты убийцы

I don't know what it looks like. But I'll go on the record as there will not be a 2020 ILlnessX. If it takes Acura almost 10 years for a sucky RL and continue producing that ugly ZDX, they get what they deserve after billions of dollars and brain farts.

I'm glad my TSX is new, so I don't (knock on wood) face that choice anytime soon.

If I had to pull another trigger, a BMW neighbor/employee of my mom said he could get anything I wanted at cost. The only catch is that I have to keep it in his name for a year before he could transfer to me. Really not a big deal.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm glad Honda is starting to shrink their vehicles. They were starting to get too big imo.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My parents and I were a big supporter in getting the TSX because it was made in Japan. That's just us, but I'm sure we're not the only ones with the preconception.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 PM
David_Dude

Originally Posted by JavertHL
My parents and I were a big supporter in getting the TSX because it was made in Japan. That's just us, but I'm sure we're not the only ones with the preconception.
Oh believe me you're not. A lot of fellow posters have made it known. My last car was made in Japan (Mazda). Though I'm glad the current TSX is still made in Japan. I believe it's all in perception. I'm pretty sure honda uses strict quality control across the board. I know the big thing for me with my last car was letting everyone know it was "Made In Japan." It made for a good quick convo between friends when I said my VIN started with a J, and they'd look at theirs and it'll say 1. All cars were great, but to them and me having a car assembled in Japan was pretty cool.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

The 'I'll only buy it if it's made in Japan' crowd crack me up. The upcoming NSX will be designed and hand-built in Ohio. I'm sure you'll all turn your nose up at it...
Old 01-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Карты убийцы

If I'm going to buy a super sports car made in American, then it's a Vette and maybe a Shelby Mustang... wait that's all of the super sportscars made in America.

And for the record, Acura will probably price the NSX at ZR1 prices, and have to pic the tire rubber from the Vette out of it's grill.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Rich and Famous

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
This tells much about global econony futures.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by Professor
If I'm going to buy a super sports car made in American, then it's a Vette and maybe a Shelby Mustang... wait that's all of the super sportscars made in America.

And for the record, Acura will probably price the NSX at ZR1 prices, and have to pic the tire rubber from the Vette out of it's grill.
Everything picks the Zr1's tire rubber out of its grill. It's one of the fastest cars in the world and it is available for an astonishingly low price/performance ratio. The LFA cant beat it and it costs 3x more, so what

not every car can be good at everything, and the zr1 certainly has its faults along with its blistering performance
Old 01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Карты убийцы

Originally Posted by KillerG
Everything picks the Zr1's tire rubber out of its grill. It's one of the fastest cars in the world and it is available for an astonishingly low price/performance ratio. The LFA cant beat it and it costs 3x more, so what

not every car can be good at everything, and the zr1 certainly has its faults along with its blistering performance
When you start forking out over $100K or more for a car, it's like a prostitute... it better do everything right.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 01ITR
I'm glad Honda is starting to shrink their vehicles. They were starting to get too big imo.
Acura hasnt shrinks it vehicle. Its bloated Civic. RSX was smaller than Civic.

when TSX was introduced in 2003 spring. It was $6K more expensive than RSX but still TSX won sales battle than RSX.

The car is simply not proportional. there is no curves in body. The size of wheels looks looks way bigger. (the wheel wells itself require wheels).
It is very simplified low cost