How to change license plate bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
How to change license plate bulb?

Hi all, I have been doing research to change interior lighting to LED...

I have 2013 Acura TSX... and am embarrassed to post this kind of thread because everyone seems to figured out the way to change the LP bulb..

I have successfully changed all interior lights without a problem... but I came across a problem when I tried to change the License Plate Bulb...

I did attempt to take off the clips on the trunk that blocks my way into the bulb in the back... I did managed to break one of the clip though (sadsad)...

Although I had the access, I could not reach into the bulb and was too scared that I would break it when I tried to release the covering and the bulb.

but I found this thread while back: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ersion-684754/

that had photos that you take a cover off and have access directly to the bulb...

this is a photo off of a original post... so credit goes to OP (manitou1)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_h-...Rm6jU/063.JPG?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_db...JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_eb...JPG?imgmax=512

4. http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_ex...JPG?imgmax=512

I tried tonight and went to the back and tried to pry off the black covering like on picture 1,2, and 3... but I was also afraid to break anything off...

Or is this method harmful to the car??

if it is... then i will again try to take off the clip and do it harder way...

thanks!!

Last edited by atsx1313; 12-30-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^if you think the little pick or screw driver will harm the car, cover the pick or screw driver with a cloth.
this will prevent the metal screwdriver or pick from damaging paint because its now covered in a cloth
The following users liked this post:
atsx1313 (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Look at this picture from that thread:

And this image from the parts list:

You can see where there are four plastic retainer clips on the garnish. Figure out where approximately they are on your car and that's where you'll be getting resistance to popping it off.

This would be a perfect use for those plastic trim remover tools. In a bind though, you might be able to use a credit card or similar to pry it out. Or, slip the credit card in between the trim and the paint and then use a screwdriver to pry the trim piece with the credit card to protect the paint.

Use your hulkstrength and pull the trim off.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Look at this picture from that thread:

And this image from the parts list:

You can see where there are four plastic retainer clips on the garnish. Figure out where approximately they are on your car and that's where you'll be getting resistance to popping it off.

This would be a perfect use for those plastic trim remover tools. In a bind though, you might be able to use a credit card or similar to pry it out. Or, slip the credit card in between the trim and the paint and then use a screwdriver to pry the trim piece with the credit card to protect the paint.

Use your hulkstrength and pull the trim off.
Let me try that again tonight!!

I'll use the cloth over the flat screw driver to take off the cover then...

Is it easy to put them back?? and it won't interfere with the silver chrome trim lining right?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:41 AM

Sorry, no clue there - the wagon doesn't have that garnish/trim piece underneath, the lights just pop out.

It looks like it's only held on by those four plastic clippy jobbers. Like the ones they use to hold the door cards on. They just pop in and out with a little bit of force.

It looks like any number of clips I've popped off doors or trim or whatever, in the past. Sometimes it feels stubborn and doesn't want to pop off. Just keep attacking it. Sometimes you just need to pull from another end or side to get things started. Then just wiggle and pull and shake as needed to back the plastic clips out of their holes.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:34 PM
Racer

darn it!!!

I feel so dumb... i was trying to take off the black cover but it seems that it was glued to silicon type of glue...

so i was trying the other way around while taking out the clips but I lost it!!!
for now... i give up... i don't think i will change them and leave it as is for now.. T.T

I don't want to take out the whole soft material inside so i am going to buy one clip...

Can anyone ID the clip that looks like a christmas tree??

is this the right one for TSX??
Old 12-31-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
as you do more and more work with your car, you will get more and more comfortable!!!
take a break and try again!!

i know thats what I do. not to scare you, but I usually break things....thats how I learn. hard way to learn but I get more confidence each time I work on my car, good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by justnspace:
atsx1313 (12-31-2015), EvilVirus (01-04-2016)
Old 12-31-2015, 03:27 PM

Wait, I'm a little confused about what's happening. Something sounds odd. Can you take a picture of where you're at and what the situation looks like now?

What you're saying about "soft material inside" doesn't seem right. You should be able to change the license plate lights from outside the car. It's sounding to me like you're coming at it from inside the trunk... A picture of what you're stuck on and what you broke would speak volumes.

And don't give up now. You're probably really close. Plus, if you're breaking stuff, just say f-it and go all in!
Old 12-31-2015, 03:27 PM
Racer

but anyone know where can I buy the trunk trim clip??

I try to find it online but it doesn't look like the one from the car...

I can't even find an image that looks like the clip that I am looking for...

or can i get a clip that looks similar to it? or get it from other acura model??

Clip itself is cheap but shipping is ridiculous expensive... I did email dealer about it but we'll see...
Old 12-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Racer

Anyone know what part this is??
I just can't ID this clip and i'll need your guys' help... or reference me to a site where there is this clip... thanks all!!

This is the Clip that I need!! I lost one and one of them is broken...

Trunk Trim is loose since there is nothing that attaches...

yes, this one..

Lost clip went inside that spacing and I don't want to un-clip the whole thing just to get that one piece...
Old 12-31-2015, 04:35 PM

Alright dude, we can get this...

First. The clip you're showing. Looks to me that it is #31 shown in the schematic. P/N 90667-TC0-U01ZA

You can probably get a black push clip that will work at any auto parts store. It'll just be a generic HELP! brand clip or something, but if you don't want to mess with the dealer for an OEM part, that'll do.

Although, it really won't be too hard to pop the rest of them off and remove the trunk liner to get to the one you lost.

Second. You shouldn't need to go in through the trunk like that to change the license plate lights - you're making things hard on yourself. Look again at the page you referenced earlier, he's doing all that from outside, right above the license plate itself. You can technically do this with the trunk closed.

So if you're still trying to get there from inside - stop. Close the trunk and go at it from above the license plate. Pop the black plastic cover (part #19 on the first diagram I posted) and then release the light housing. It pulls out and then comes apart in two pieces, replace the bulb, and reassemble.

You're almost there!
atsx1313 (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 04:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Alright dude, we can get this...

First. The clip you're showing. Looks to me that it is #31 shown in the schematic. P/N 90667-TC0-U01ZA

You can probably get a black push clip that will work at any auto parts store. It'll just be a generic HELP! brand clip or something, but if you don't want to mess with the dealer for an OEM part, that'll do.

Although, it really won't be too hard to pop the rest of them off and remove the trunk liner to get to the one you lost.

Second. You shouldn't need to go in through the trunk like that to change the license plate lights - you're making things hard on yourself. Look again at the page you referenced earlier, he's doing all that from outside, right above the license plate itself. You can technically do this with the trunk closed.

So if you're still trying to get there from inside - stop. Close the trunk and go at it from above the license plate. Pop the black plastic cover (part #19 on the first diagram I posted) and then release the light housing. It pulls out and then comes apart in two pieces, replace the bulb, and reassemble.

You're almost there!

Oh my goodness!!

thank you!! I'll need to buy the clips then i'll try again from the outside...

The reason I started from the inside because there was a video demonstration on youtube... so i figured I'll do the way the video shows it...

I wish someone would make video how to pop the cover off from outside...

but thanks for the part!!
Old 12-31-2015, 05:12 PM

Okay, no video for you, sorry. But I just went and popped the trim piece off my wagon. The Sedan and Wagon trim are slightly different.

1) sedan uses 4 clips while wagon only uses 3.
and
2) wagon doesn't need to remove the trim to do the license plate lights, but evidently the sedan does

Still, they install and remove the same way. I didn't need to use any tools, just my fingers.

Go look at the back of your car where the plate is. Now look up to where the lights are. They're recessed behind that black plastic piece. That needs to come off. You should see the edge of it where it touches the painted underside of the license plate cubby on the trunk.

Stick you fingernails in that little gap and pry down on the plastic. You should see where it wants to move and where it is stuck in place off towards the outer corners (toward left and right side of the car, nearest the tail lights). Work over to the "stuck" place - this is where the clips are. Pry down there. You should be able to pop both sides pretty easily that way. Then work your way in to the center from both sides to pop the middle two clips and it should pull right out.

Now just unclip the light housings, rinse, and repeat.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:21 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
take that clip with you to lowe's or home depot, go to the screw/bolts/nuts section, match it up or just buy from stealership.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
^ or ebay

Dealer (well my dealer) sells the push clips for about $1.00
Old 04-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i changed out mine when i first got the car and need to change them out since i'm selling my car, i think i popped it out from the inside of the trunk inside of prying out the black piece on the outside of the trunk...which way is the easier way?
Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try this method

Try looking at this link to remove your license light bulbs from the trunk from the inside. This way is much easier then taking the lights out from the outside.

https://youtu.be/e81PBLSP-K0
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atsx1313
Hi all, I have been doing research to change interior lighting to LED...

I have 2013 Acura TSX... and am embarrassed to post this kind of thread because everyone seems to figured out the way to change the LP bulb..

I have successfully changed all interior lights without a problem... but I came across a problem when I tried to change the License Plate Bulb...

I did attempt to take off the clips on the trunk that blocks my way into the bulb in the back... I did managed to break one of the clip though (sadsad)...

Although I had the access, I could not reach into the bulb and was too scared that I would break it when I tried to release the covering and the bulb.

but I found this thread while back: https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ersion-684754/

that had photos that you take a cover off and have access directly to the bulb...

this is a photo off of a original post... so credit goes to OP (manitou1)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_h-...Rm6jU/063.JPG?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_db...JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_eb...JPG?imgmax=512

4. http://lh3.ggpht.com/manitou0/SLm_ex...JPG?imgmax=512

I tried tonight and went to the back and tried to pry off the black covering like on picture 1,2, and 3... but I was also afraid to break anything off...

Or is this method harmful to the car??

if it is... then i will again try to take off the clip and do it harder way...

thanks!!
check out this video. This helps changing out your license light bulb.
atsx1313 (09-10-2016)