Gen 2... First 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 2... First 2 Weeks

Ok, so I'm loving my car so far. 09 TSX Tech Package 6MT. Very fun to drive, gets killer gas mileage on the highway, I can seriously average 35+ MPG if I wanted to. Hell, even when I'm mashing on the gas and driving hard, I'm getting 28 MPG. It's pretty bad when you get upset that the gas gauge says that you're "only" averaging 28 MPG. lol. To all the haters that say that 201 HP is too little, you must be driving the AT version, where it's conservatively shifting up at 2500 RPM's or something. Cuz it's plenty enough for me, especially in the upper end of the tach, when everything clicks, and the car really comes alive... and this is coming from a former EVO owner. The EVO was nice and fast and all, but all that power was impractical for everyday driving. Hell, I found myself driving like a grandma most of the time with that thing, because cops were always looking to pull me over, (Which they did a lot when I had the car... 6 tickets for having no front plate... seriously), and when I was able to mash around and drive it hard, it was only after a serious consideration for my wallet, and the consequences of 10 MPG premium. Also, everyone and their mom wanted to drag race me. As for looks, I get plenty of compliments every day that I'm out, it's aggressive yet refined, and the front grille grows on you quick. The stereo system is complete bad ass on the tech package. It eclipses some of the aftermarket systems I've heard people put in their cars. The subwoofer is leagues ahead of the chintzy one that was perched atop the RSX's donut back in the day, and it really impacts your music. The only bad thing about the system is that I've actually managed to blow out the right passenger side main speaker already, but it may be due to the BT phone connection, and the weird high frequencies that float around in the background on cell phone calls. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see what they can do, seeing as the car is only 2 weeks old. Hopefully I don't have to pull the, "I'm giving you a horrible survey rating" card. Second.. the paint job and exterior sheet metal is super cheap. Yeah, it looks nice on the lot, but it cannot hold up to small gravel AT ALL. I've got nicks and dings from tiny debris that couldn't pop a water balloon. The steering system does take a bit to get used to, especially during long freeway sessions. It feels like it's really freaking windy out ALL THE TIME... but I guess it keeps you alert, and unable to fall asleep at the wheel during lont trips. lol. Other than that, it's hella responsive, and quick. The stocks rims... yeah. Horrible. Other than that, I'm pretty happy. Hopefully more happy tomorrow if the dealership can swap this speaker out without having me pay for it, since it's so damn new.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:04 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Driving a winged, scooped turbo dealie like the EVO & WRX is "hanging donuts" (from your bumper) for a daily driver. Between the cops & *everyone* wanting to street race, it gets old.

I agree the power is adequate for my 27 mpg's around town.

FWIW, my steering was a lot less "darty" after about a month.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
The paint is lousy-alot of other owners put clear bra's on their cars. Do not blame the dealer for that. My acura dealer, Lehigh Valley Acura in excellent for service. They go out of their way to helpful and are a pleasure to deal with. Hopefully your dealer is the same. Try not threatening them.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agree that those complaining about lack of power are driving automatics. I went to the dealership with the inention of getting an auto so my girlfriend could drive it too. But when I test drove both, it was like driving two different cars. The manual feels like 200 hp, while the auto feels like 150. It really comes alive with the manual. So that's what I went home with. My GF will have to learn to drive stick if she wants to drive it.

I agree about the paint. My old black Ford Probe GT was 12 years old when I sold it and it did not have all the little road nicks in the paint that I can see the TSX accumulating after 12 years.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig-D
My GF will have to learn to drive stick if she wants to drive it.
Too bad I can't say the same thing to my wife!
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM
speed zombie

Nice post, I'm on my 20th day with my car (6spd man.), just over 500 miles and I've yet to be disappointed. My sounds system is awesome, all I get is praise as to how good it sounds and the car all in all is solid.

The wheel's do need some upgrading and since I'm driving my car roughly 10 miles a day on local streets I haven't benefited with the 30+ mpg. Plus I live in L.A. so even if i did do the highway it'd be bumper to bumper anyway.

My only gripe about the car is FINGERPRINTS!!! I have the Crystal Black Pearl and man do I get fingerprints all over..interior, exterior you name it. =\
Old 09-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by thefish
My only gripe about the car is FINGERPRINTS!!! I have the Crystal Black Pearl and man do I get fingerprints all over..interior, exterior you name it. =\
Don't you mean "Fin prints"?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:26 AM
The Anti Avatar

I just had my 2 month anniversary from taking delivery of my 2009 and I love it!! I have had no issues or problems that some of the members have posted (oh, man I hope I didn't just jinx it!)

Although, the 6 speed has been getting tons of praise I really don't have much of a problem w/ the power of the automatic. Yes, it could be a bit quicker, but as long as I keep averaging 26 - 28mpg driving with my 50mile commute in stop and go traffic, there is nothing really to complain about.

The only complaint I do have is with the hands free voice recognition. I have absolutely no problem with commands (radio on / off, fan speed, temp, etc., etc.)

The trouble is comes when I am trying to verbally enter a phone number w/ the hands free system. There are work arounds to this problem like loading in your cell phonebook, but does anyone else find this as annoying as I do?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
For those of you with the 6spd who test drove the AT, did you find that the sport shift helped compensate? I have an 06 TSX, and find myself in Sport Shift 70% of the time, but really like being able to not have to shift when I want to relax and granny drive... If you have driven both, does it help bridge the gap at all? I am warming up to the 09...
Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by stogie1020
For those of you with the 6spd who test drove the AT, did you find that the sport shift helped compensate? I have an 06 TSX, and find myself in Sport Shift 70% of the time, but really like being able to not have to shift when I want to relax and granny drive... If you have driven both, does it help bridge the gap at all? I am warming up to the 09...
I don't know how to drive a manual, never tried, but I really enjoy using the paddle shifters in sport mode. In my opinion its better than using the stick in sport mode, I think you'll really like it
Old 09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Racer

i got 4000 miles now...oil is down to 20%...the car is mad fun..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009TSX
I just had my 2 month anniversary from taking delivery of my 2009 and I love it!!
same here. we must have taken delivery of our vehicles on the same day

but for me, mine goes into service tomorrow

valey key recall (not complaining about this one really.. wouldn't even go to get this done if it wasn't for the other problems)
trunk alignment needed (right side is a tad off... fortunately no water leaks)
and getting the brakes/rotors checked out for intermittent squeaking

all in all, just minor shit
Old 09-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
valet*
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Intermediate

The other bad... upgrades.

I totally need a throatier exhaust system immediately, as well as a cold air intake.

What's the deal with the 07-08 TSX's getting no aftermarket love??? I see very little in the way of uprades during these model years.

Should I be scared that the 09 will get no love at all either???

Also... wow at having to pop code in to break paragraphs and sentences in a forum. lol.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 PM
OCD in the OC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. As per your comments, I'm having the VentureShield clear bra installed on my car on Tuesday. I'm also having tint done while it's in the shop.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

How much are these clear bras going for?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 AM
OCD in the OC

I'm getting clear bra and tint for $635.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
The sport shift lets you decide at which RPMs to shift instead of the car, so that's better than just popping it in "D". But I didn't feel a huge difference. The auto still feels like a dog off the line compared to the 6MT. I know the 6MT actually has only slighly more torque, but it feels like about 50 lbs. ft. more. I can never relax in city driving anyway because of all the nuts on the road and traffic lights around here. So I only relax the highway anyway, where I get to pop it in 6th and granny drive too.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
WTH happened to my garage

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by patcracks
i got 4000 miles now...oil is down to 20%...the car is mad fun..
Damn, I'm getting old, I have 4k miles now and oil is still at 50%.

I must be getting my skirt caught in the shifter.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
10th Gear

I personally do not find my TSX (auto) to be underpowered. Then again my last car was an auto and only had 150hp. I dont use the sport mode to conserve gas. This car has all the power I need, the auto responds well and when I want to shift myself the paddles are very responsive.

If I were to complain about the car I would not be complaining about the performance.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pja79
I personally do not find my TSX (auto) to be underpowered. Then again my last car was an auto and only had 150hp. I dont use the sport mode to conserve gas. This car has all the power I need, the auto responds well and when I want to shift myself the paddles are very responsive.

If I were to complain about the car I would not be complaining about the performance.
I find the power in the 5AT is more then enough for me,too.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:09 PM
1st Gear

I've had my car for about a week now. On the power side, it's all about personal driving preference. I've always driven SUV's in the past so my automatic TSX is the zippiest thing I've had yet.

My only real complaint so far is the mic on the wireless bluetooth. It sounds "airy" to me. Anyone else? I didn't see anything anywhere to really change it either.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Instructor

Just curious ...

Is your MPG based on Ethanol or NON-Ethanol mixed gas. (up to 10%)

Down here in Florida we only have NON-Ethanol gas (started this year, mandated by the State). From my experience, I have noticed a decrease from 2-3 MPG in my last car 2004 TL.

Originally Posted by JOBNUMBER
Ok, so I'm loving my car so far. 09 TSX Tech Package 6MT. Very fun to drive, gets killer gas mileage on the highway, I can seriously average 35+ MPG if I wanted to. Hell, even when I'm mashing on the gas and driving hard, I'm getting 28 MPG. It's pretty bad when you get upset that the gas gauge says that you're "only" averaging 28 MPG. lol. To all the haters that say that 201 HP is too little, you must be driving the AT version, where it's conservatively shifting up at 2500 RPM's or something. Cuz it's plenty enough for me, especially in the upper end of the tach, when everything clicks, and the car really comes alive... and this is coming from a former EVO owner. The EVO was nice and fast and all, but all that power was impractical for everyday driving. Hell, I found myself driving like a grandma most of the time with that thing, because cops were always looking to pull me over, (Which they did a lot when I had the car... 6 tickets for having no front plate... seriously), and when I was able to mash around and drive it hard, it was only after a serious consideration for my wallet, and the consequences of 10 MPG premium. Also, everyone and their mom wanted to drag race me. As for looks, I get plenty of compliments every day that I'm out, it's aggressive yet refined, and the front grille grows on you quick. The stereo system is complete bad ass on the tech package. It eclipses some of the aftermarket systems I've heard people put in their cars. The subwoofer is leagues ahead of the chintzy one that was perched atop the RSX's donut back in the day, and it really impacts your music. The only bad thing about the system is that I've actually managed to blow out the right passenger side main speaker already, but it may be due to the BT phone connection, and the weird high frequencies that float around in the background on cell phone calls. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow to see what they can do, seeing as the car is only 2 weeks old. Hopefully I don't have to pull the, "I'm giving you a horrible survey rating" card. Second.. the paint job and exterior sheet metal is super cheap. Yeah, it looks nice on the lot, but it cannot hold up to small gravel AT ALL. I've got nicks and dings from tiny debris that couldn't pop a water balloon. The steering system does take a bit to get used to, especially during long freeway sessions. It feels like it's really freaking windy out ALL THE TIME... but I guess it keeps you alert, and unable to fall asleep at the wheel during lont trips. lol. Other than that, it's hella responsive, and quick. The stocks rims... yeah. Horrible. Other than that, I'm pretty happy. Hopefully more happy tomorrow if the dealership can swap this speaker out without having me pay for it, since it's so damn new.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:19 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by JOBNUMBER
The other bad... upgrades.

I totally need a throatier exhaust system immediately, as well as a cold air intake.

What's the deal with the 07-08 TSX's getting no aftermarket love??? I see very little in the way of uprades during these model years.

Should I be scared that the 09 will get no love at all either???

Also... wow at having to pop code in to break paragraphs and sentences in a forum. lol.
you are not looking good enough.
or you don't understand what you're looking at.
07-08 has TONS of aftermarket stuff available for it.

but yeah, you should be a little scared about the 09.
it's not the same car, and it will not attract the same buyer.
the aftermarket consumer won't be looking at the 09 TSX much.
it's geared more towards a different buyer this time around.
they're trying to get away from the "tuner crowd" and go upscale some.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Just curious ...

Is your MPG based on Ethanol or NON-Ethanol mixed gas. (up to 10%)

Down here in Florida we only have NON-Ethanol gas (started this year, mandated by the State). From my experience, I have noticed a decrease from 2-3 MPG in my last car 2004 TL.
I think ethanol actually has less power than gas and would lower gas mpg.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Yes, this is what I have read and was curious if people using ethanol mixed gas are getting 34+ MPG on the highway like the person who started this post. All of the gas stations in Florida (mandated by the State to help with cleaner burning of fuel) that I have found lately have ethanol mixed gas which sucks for gas mileage.

Do all states have this mandate ?

Originally Posted by Johns
I think ethanol actually has less power than gas and would lower gas mpg.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Too much chrome

Originally Posted by rmastbro
Yes, this is what I have read and was curious if people using ethanol mixed gas are getting 34+ MPG on the highway like the person who started this post. All of the gas stations in Florida (mandated by the State to help with cleaner burning of fuel) that I have found lately have ethanol mixed gas which sucks for gas mileage.

Do all states have this mandate ?
In New Jersey the pumps all say "contains 10% ethanol", but here in NY none of the pumps advertise it. Our gas is supposedly cleaner than most in the nation, that might be the reason why.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by MMsTSX
you are not looking good enough.
or you don't understand what you're looking at.
07-08 has TONS of aftermarket stuff available for it.

but yeah, you should be a little scared about the 09.
it's not the same car, and it will not attract the same buyer.
the aftermarket consumer won't be looking at the 09 TSX much.
it's geared more towards a different buyer this time around.
they're trying to get away from the "tuner crowd" and go upscale some.
LOL yea there trying to get away from the tunners but i think its there biggest mistake. i love my integra GSR more than anything but i think they should have never stoped making the RSX. now im not saying i like the RSX but it was an ok car. honda screwed up when they got ride of my body style integrea.i didn't like this TSX at first but its growing on me more and more every day. so i might think about jumping in to the new car scene and leave my loud rice burning GSR.but other than the TSX acura has gone to shit for me. the new TL makes me want to puke everytime i see a pic. thank god i havent seen one on the road yet.i wish there was more 09 tsx on the road here though sigh one day.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced

Loving my 09 TSX I got in May.. 5600 miles before I did the oil change. I have the AT, and I feel it has enough power, esp. when I stomp it. With 4 adults, that's when I feel it.

Great stereo - and I don't seem to mind the EPS steering at all. I m used to it.
I've added LED interior lights, and my own splash guards... I do have the same issue withthe BT.. it can't recognize certains names or numbers, so it's a pain to program numbers. My phone isn't compatible for AcuraLink, but I wish I could just download the entire phonebook.