View Poll Results: Current TSX owners, would you get the 2009 TSX?
Definitely yes!!!
5.15%
Thinking about it...
9.44%
Can't decide...
6.44%
Probably not...
41.20%
No way!!!
37.77%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Current TSX owners: would you get the 2009 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by yisrael42
My 05 TSX has about 45k miles on it and I love it. If I had gotten it with Nav I would be keeping it, but the new tech package is too much for me to resist... so yes, I will be selling or trading my current TSX for one of the new guys.

I just wonder how long it will be before comptech comes out with an upgraded sway bar for the new model.
I'm tempted, too, for the same reason - that I don't have the nav and wish I did. But, my car is paid off and I'm not in the mood to start a new loan. Plus, I am not buying the first year again. :wink:
Old 04-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me, after the rumors of the new TL getting SH-AWD, I may just sell the TSX once I have more money for the SH-AWD TL, Outlander SUV, or G35x.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

funny to read all the 09 TSX looking like the Camry comparisons. Isnt the TSX just a Euro-Accord lol. And the Accord is basically a Camry competitor?

The only Camry I like is the new 07-08 Camry SE V6 (with the bodykit), those things are fast. I got smoked by one on the fwy lol.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TL929
funny to read all the 09 TSX looking like the Camry comparisons. Isnt the TSX just a Euro-Accord lol. And the Accord is basically a Camry competitor?

The only Camry I like is the new 07-08 Camry SE V6 (with the bodykit), those things are fast. I got smoked by one on the fwy lol.
I don't think Toyota sells the Camry in Europe, so no, the Euro Accord is not a competitor of the Camry there. I checked both England and Belgium's Toyota sites and did not see a Camry listed anywhere.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I don't think Toyota sells the Camry in Europe, so no, the Euro Accord is not a competitor of the Camry there. I checked both England and Belgium's Toyota sites and did not see a Camry listed anywhere.

It was sold there 2 generations ago but I don't think since.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Intermediate

2009 Tsx

I was so going to get myself a new TSX with my old TSX lease expiring. But one look at that new exterior, I quickly changed my mind.

Why did they butcher the design of such a nice car like they did the MDX....!?! If it looked anything like the concept on the internet, I would have gotten another one of it - and wouldn't have switched to its rival, Lexus!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The new 2009 Toyota Matrix S, has AWD.

Really, the TSX couldn't even get AWD, it has really fell behind the competition now.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xenonhid
The new 2009 Toyota Matrix S, has AWD.

Really, the TSX couldn't even get AWD, it has really fell behind the competition now.
maybe they'll release a TSX Type-SH model in the near future.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I replace mine, it's gonna be between the diesel version of the TSX, although I'd like to know more on the specs of that engine, or a C220 Bluetec.

I have learned to love the solidity of MB's. I'd like to explore a little further on that avenue.

For now, I'm enjoying a payment-free TSX.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Race Director

whoa sauceman have not seen you in a long time. what is your mileage at on the TSX now? i am guessing 190,000 miles.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Mokos23
whoa sauceman have not seen you in a long time. what is your mileage at on the TSX now? i am guessing 190,000 miles.
200,000 miles on the nose!

I am pretty busy with work...
Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Race Director

200,000 miles? Nice! Dang and the TSX is still solid or can you tell us what issues you've had?
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Mokos23
200,000 miles? Nice! Dang and the TSX is still solid or can you tell us what issues you've had?
Still solid, but I did have some issues. But Dom will kill me if I hyjack this thread...

I'll post up in Problems & Fixes
Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TL929
maybe they'll release a TSX Type-SH model in the near future.

Yeah, they'll release this version:

TSX Type-W.M.U.S.H.T.S.4.C.

Type WMUSHTS4C = (We messed up so here's the SPORTS 4 Concept! )
Old 04-15-2008, 07:02 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sauceman
When I replace mine, it's gonna be between the diesel version of the TSX, although I'd like to know more on the specs of that engine, or a C220 Bluetec.

I have learned to love the solidity of MB's. I'd like to explore a little further on that avenue.

For now, I'm enjoying a payment-free TSX.

the fawk.

Welcome back dude.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
How come so many people are concerned primarily with performance? There are so many current owners that automatically dislike the new generation because it does not come with more power. Think about it this way, if you are currently a happy TSX owner, you clearly were not that concerned with power when you bought your current TSX. If power was/is that important to you, you would be driving a different car. Acceleration was never on the TSX's list of pros and it was never meant to be a fast car. I mean come on, if you bought a FWD NA four-banger sedan, how much does performance *really* matter to you?

Unless I am mistaken, the logic is that the current TSX is great in most aspects and only lacks in power. So, people want the new TSX to address this shortcoming with a more powerful engine. However, the way I think about it is that the TSX's main strength is its balance of power/price/reliability/MPG/features/handling/etc, that no other car has. If Acura adds more power, chances are, one of the other aspects will be worse, such as price and perhaps MPG, thus putting the car outside of its current "balance" niche.

I don't know, that's the way I look at it...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Banned

It's all been said before, but since you missed it; all people are asking for is a choice in the same way that you can choose between an IS250 or an IS350. The TSX has great handling. It would be nice to keep the small car feel with big car performance. People who say "just get a TL" are obviously numb to nuance.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:21 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dmikon
How come so many people are concerned primarily with performance? There are so many current owners that automatically dislike the new generation because it does not come with more power. Think about it this way, if you are currently a happy TSX owner, you clearly were not that concerned with power when you bought your current TSX. If power was/is that important to you, you would be driving a different car. Acceleration was never on the TSX's list of pros and it was never meant to be a fast car. I mean come on, if you bought a FWD NA four-banger sedan, how much does performance *really* matter to you?

Unless I am mistaken, the logic is that the current TSX is great in most aspects and only lacks in power. So, people want the new TSX to address this shortcoming with a more powerful engine. However, the way I think about it is that the TSX's main strength is its balance of power/price/reliability/MPG/features/handling/etc, that no other car has. If Acura adds more power, chances are, one of the other aspects will be worse, such as price and perhaps MPG, thus putting the car outside of its current "balance" niche.

Well said. But most if not all of us that dislike the 09 still realize it will sell just as well if not better than the first gen. I'd personally like to move up from a 200HP 4 banger and was hoping the TSX could fill those needs. And look around at the competition. Most offer more power with similar MPG.

And like wackacura just said, some choice would be nice.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Racer

Oh yeah, I am all for having a more powerful option. I just don't think that a 6-cyl or a turbo should be the standard on the base model like many as asking for. Plus, there might be a more powerful option in the future, too early to complain in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 PM
STi'd

I just think it's ugly. Also looking to move up (in the power dept.) and wanted the TSX to be that car since everything else about it rocks.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, I am all for having a more powerful option. I just don't think that a 6-cyl or a turbo should be the standard on the base model like many as asking for. Plus, there might be a more powerful option in the future, too early to complain in my opinion.

No I still think there's plenty of reason to complain.

- If there was a V6 option planned, it should have been announced.
- Exterior styling (subjective)
- Interior layout (subjective as well)
- Grille (subjective)
- Dumbed down handling (by most accounts)
- Larger
- No real upgrade in power from the 2.4. (I think even the most loyal honda fanboy expected more)
- awful wheels

Fact is its a car forum, they'll always be complaints. Can't make everyone happy.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by dom

They've announced the diesel which is a unique move in itself. Honda never announces future engine plans because it give competitors time to gear up. Come on, it's always been like this and to expect anything different is.... well..... silly.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Colin
They've announced the diesel which is a unique move in itself. Honda never announces future engine plans because it give competitors time to gear up. Come on, it's always been like this and to expect anything different is.... well..... silly.
I think it was silly not to announce it. The momentum they would have got would have been great.

But Honda is clearly always right.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

While you make a good point, you forget that many of us who accepted the TSX's lack of straight line power did so because we enjoyed the smaller and lighter body, the excellently tuned chassis, and exceptional steering feel all while getting a car that had sufficient levels of gadgets.

However, the big disappointment with the new one is that they increased the weight and decreased the power (torque difference is so small it can be argued whether it makes much of a difference or not), ruined the steering with the addition of the EPS, and then added those tacked on wheel arches and horrendous looking looking grille.

Honestly, I would probably have waited for the new TSX if they had left off the fender flares and the grille, kept the size around the same, and left the steering alone. Power is nice, but as I have discovered with the TL-S, I have no place to really use it. Handling is of much greater importance, but even more important is the steering feel.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
I think it was silly not to announce it. The momentum they would have got would have been great.

But Honda is clearly always right.
Not saying they're right, just consistent. Also show me someone else that announces future engine plans more than two years in advance?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:12 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

So the V6 is two years away?

Ouch.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
So the V6 is two years away?

Ouch.
No really, find me someone that does business this way. I'm serious, I've been trying to think of an example where any mfg announced a future engine 2 years out and can't think of one.

edit: I think the closest is BMW with the M3, but even then it's not a new engine, just shoehorning an existing engine into the new chassis.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:44 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

No really, find me someone that does business this way. I'm serious, I've been trying to think of an example where any mfg announced a future engine 2 years out and can't think of one.

edit: I think the closest is BMW with the M3, but even then it's not a new engine, just shoehorning an existing engine into the new chassis.
If it is 2 years away, then I agree that its too early for an announcement. But I didn't think it was two years away when making that point.

And since when is the M3's V8 an existing engine? The M3 is its only application. Unless you consider it the same as the V10 since it had 2 cylinders chopped off but still a different engine.

But it is fairly common practice for manufactures to announce other models/engines well before they're released. Not for Honda I know but it happens all the time.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dom

- Exterior styling (subjective)
- Interior layout (subjective as well)
- Grille (subjective)
- Dumbed down handling (by most accounts)
- Larger
- No real upgrade in power from the 2.4. (I think even the most loyal honda fanboy expected more)
- awful wheels

Fact is its a car forum, they'll always be complaints. Can't make everyone happy.
Yeah, I know. Not saying there's nothing to complain about, just pointing out that a ton of the complaints sound like:

"What?! No turbo or V6? I'm out!"

Grill is horrendous for sure
Old 04-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
But I didn't think it was two years away when making that point.

And since when is the M3's V8 an existing engine? The M3 is its only application.

But it is fairly common practice for manufactures to announce other models/engines ....I know but it happens all the time.
I don't think we know a V-6 is coming at all at this point.

As for the M3, doesn't the current M3 use the 540i engine? The new M3 is using the V-10 from the 6 series right? I assume the 'M guys' tune it a bit, but isn't it the same engine?

On the last point, I don't want to belabor the point, but I really can't remember a specific (even 1) where someone debuted a new car and said that XX engine is coming in xx years.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Nope. The M3's 4.0L is a 5.0L V10 from the M5/M6 with 2 cylinders chopped off and I presume other changes.

The 540, now 550 uses a 360HP/360lb-ft 4.8L V8.

As for your last point, the first that comes to mind, Ford. With their new 3.5L V6 Taurus/Freestyle. They announced it a year or so before it was available. But let me think about some more.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dom
Nope. The M3's 4.0L is a 5.0L V10 from the M5/M6 with 2 cylinders chopped off and I presume other changes.

The 540, now 550 uses a 360HP/360lb-ft 4.6L V8.

As for your last point, the first that comes to mind, Ford. With their new 3.5L V6 Taurus/Freestyle. They announced it a year or so before it was available. But let me think about some more.
OK, I don't pretend to know the intimate details of the BMW engine families so I stand corrected.

Is the Taurus a good example? They were announcing the change from the 500 to the renamed Taurus in advance. But on the engine front, isn't there only one engine?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
corrected ;)

Originally Posted by dom
No I still think there's plenty of reason to complain. ...
- awful wheels
- awful wheels (subjective)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Hail Hail

Oh no! Another article critical of Honda/Acura design!!!

Motor Trend on Honda design

"I've quite liked a number of recent Acuras -- the TL sedan is still one of the sharpest looking front drive four doors of its size in the business. So when Honda unveiled the Acura Advanced Concept Sedan at the 2006 LA Show, I thought it was a joke. But nope, this cartoonish sedan -- which ranks with the awful Mercedes-Benz F700 as one of the worst looking design studies from a major automaker in the past decade -- is apparently the "religion car" for Acura design.

You can see it in the pronounced fender flares, sharp character lines, and garish grilles of the new Acura MDX and TSX, neither of which have the understated elegance of the vehicles they replaced. That overpowering shield-like grille theme has also popped up on a gawky mid-life facelift of the RL sedan. Against this background, the prospects for the next-gen TL, now the oldest and best looking car in the Acura lineup, aren't great.

Maybe the design guys at Honda looked at what BMW did under the direction of Chris Bangle, and decided Acura, too, needed to be different to make a splash in the premium car segment. But they forgot that most people were prepared to look past some of Bangle's more confronting designs just to own something -- anything -- with the BMW badge. And they forgot a priceless piece of advice from legendary GM design chief Bill Mitchell, the man behind some of the best looking cars ever made: "Walking through the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria with your fly undone is different. But it's not good."

Ouch!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Is the Taurus a good example? They were announcing the change from the 500 to the renamed Taurus in advance. But on the engine front, isn't there only one engine?

Yes, one engine, which is even more of a risk since people may forgo the 3.0L cars and wait for the 3.5.

BMW recently announced a new 4.4L Turbo V8 that will find its home in the X6, 5 series and 7 series sometime late this year or next. I'm always hearing news about new engines at least 8-12 months before they're available. Having said that I can understand why Honda doesn't do it, makes sense but I thought the TSX launch would have been a good time to at least announce alternative engine options if there are any. Maybe the diesel is the only one.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:45 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Celtic FC
Oh no! Another article critical of Honda/Acura design!!!

Motor Trend on Honda design

"I've quite liked a number of recent Acuras -- the TL sedan is still one of the sharpest looking front drive four doors of its size in the business. So when Honda unveiled the Acura Advanced Concept Sedan at the 2006 LA Show, I thought it was a joke. But nope, this cartoonish sedan -- which ranks with the awful Mercedes-Benz F700 as one of the worst looking design studies from a major automaker in the past decade -- is apparently the "religion car" for Acura design.

You can see it in the pronounced fender flares, sharp character lines, and garish grilles of the new Acura MDX and TSX, neither of which have the understated elegance of the vehicles they replaced. That overpowering shield-like grille theme has also popped up on a gawky mid-life facelift of the RL sedan. Against this background, the prospects for the next-gen TL, now the oldest and best looking car in the Acura lineup, aren't great.

Maybe the design guys at Honda looked at what BMW did under the direction of Chris Bangle, and decided Acura, too, needed to be different to make a splash in the premium car segment. But they forgot that most people were prepared to look past some of Bangle's more confronting designs just to own something -- anything -- with the BMW badge. And they forgot a priceless piece of advice from legendary GM design chief Bill Mitchell, the man behind some of the best looking cars ever made: "Walking through the lobby of the Waldorf Astoria with your fly undone is different. But it's not good."

Ouch!

Not sure I agree with all of that but I do agree that the "Advanced Sedan Concept" was the single worse design study I can remember.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Racer

I have a 08. I am very happy with the car. When my lease is up i might consider the new one.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Sauceman:

Do you really want to get a Diesel TSX? I ask because here in Miami I have seen up to and even more that a .50 cent difference between the highest grade of 93 premium gas and diesel. 93 premium gallon will sell for $3.80 while a Diesel gallon sells for $4.30 !!! It is a big, big difference. What is the price difference between the two in Canada?