2nd battery in 2 years!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question 2nd battery in 2 years!

My wife has a 2010 TSX that we bought used from a Honda dealership with 35K. The car has 55k on it now and we just replaced the battery last year. The car barely turns over and the battery test stated that the battery was dieing. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this? I really don't feel like buying a new battery ever year.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
Mine keeps doing this. The dealer says its normal.... But the battery has like an 8yr warranty on it.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Alternator not charging the battery properly?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

That's what i thought too, but again the dealer states everything is fine..
Old 11-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
The stock battery on the 4 Cylinder is minuscule and has (in my opinion) low CCA for reliable cold weather operation. You may want to replace it with a bigger one (you may need to make slight mods in order to fit the new battery in there, like upgrading the ground connector (use the V6 one)).
Even for the V6 model that has a larger battery, when I replaced it with an "interstate" that has a 800 CCA, the starting of the car significantly improved.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OEM batteries

assuming all other systems are fine...go with an aftermarket alternative. Few OEM batteries last the 100mos it is rated for. mine last a whole 36-39 months each...i now have an interstate battery in my TL.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
OEM batteries

assuming all other systems are fine...go with an aftermarket alternative. Few OEM batteries last the 100mos it is rated for. mine last a whole 36-39 months each...i now have an interstate battery in my TL.
you are also using a battery tender on your interstate battery which you did not use on the oem ones. The 2nd oem battery on my car is almost 4 years old with a excellent charge. I did let it die when I left the interior light on about a year ago. The neighbor used jumper cables and charged my battery. No problems after that (knock-on-wood).

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 11-06-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts
I agree the OEM battery is the bare minimum required for the car. I kept a battery jump pack in my trunk all winter last year and had to use it a couple times on the super cold days. Battery was fine otherwise when it was warm, but I decided to replace it before this winter. I bought my car in May 2008 and replaced the battery in September so that's 64 months.

The new battery is a Kirkland from Costco that I swapped in the parking lot. I went with a Costco battery due to their warranty. 36 month full refund or exchange, prorated refund all the way to 100 months. Battery brand doesn't matter much to me, there are only a handful of OEM manufacturers that just get different stickers applied to them sold as different brands. New battery is a night a day difference. Noticeably more powerful when starting up. Lots more "zing".
Old 11-06-2013, 03:45 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
you are also using a battery tender on your interstate battery which you did not use on the oem ones. The 2nd oem battery on my car is almost 4 years old with a excellent charge. I did let it die when I left the interior light on about a year ago. The neighbor used jumper cables and charged my battery. No problems after that (knock-on-wood).
you live in an area that is pretty temperate. you don't really see extreme swings in temps. you seem to be the exception to a lot of the maintenance items on your car because you hwy drive a lot (hence longer life on batteries, brake pads...).

the battery in our Accord...the cranking power in that battery is pretty awful. most of the time it seems like it's just BARELY enough CCA to get the car to turn over. winter, summer....doesnt' matter. i could tell immediately with the interstate in the TL compared to the OEM battery that the CCA difference allowed the car to turnover a lot easier. i think the MDX has a beefier battery (OEM)...so far no problems (knock on wood) and turns over without batting a eye.

one would think daily driving the car would help the battery live a healthy life...but that isn't the case. there are many Acura owners that have complained about the battery life of the OEM batteries. even my old civic had a aftermarket battery that lasted a minimum of 5 yrs and that car was driven as frequently as my current vehicles are driven.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
The Honda OE batteries seem to be affected by deep discharges and weather extremes.

My neighbor's 1st gen TSX is still on the original battery but he has a 70 mile commute one way on the highway and garages the car at home and at the office.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
The Honda OE batteries seem to be affected by deep discharges and weather extremes.

My neighbor's 1st gen TSX is still on the original battery but he has a 70 mile commute one way on the highway and garages the car at home and at the office.
Does the V6 have a different battery than the I4? Mine seems to be doing alright.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:07 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Originally Posted by opboarding
Does the V6 have a different battery than the I4? Mine seems to be doing alright.
I'm sure it does. i4 TSX has the same battery as the civic.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Yep. The OEM V6 battery is a size 24F but has a CCA of approx. 550 Amps (I think). The good news is that you can select a more powerful 24F aftermarket battery and direct-fit it without any mod. (I got the most CCA [800] I could find since I "operate" in cold weather up here in Canada. Made a HUGE difference with the way the car starts!)
Old 11-07-2013, 06:59 AM
it's a car-drive it

you live in an area that is pretty temperate. you don't really see extreme swings in temps. you seem to be the exception to a lot of the maintenance items on your car because you hwy drive a lot (hence longer life on batteries, brake pads...).

the battery in our Accord...the cranking power in that battery is pretty awful. most of the time it seems like it's just BARELY enough CCA to get the car to turn over. winter, summer....doesnt' matter. i could tell immediately with the interstate in the TL compared to the OEM battery that the CCA difference allowed the car to turnover a lot easier. i think the MDX has a beefier battery (OEM)...so far no problems (knock on wood) and turns over without batting a eye.

one would think daily driving the car would help the battery live a healthy life...but that isn't the case. there are many Acura owners that have complained about the battery life of the OEM batteries. even my old civic had a aftermarket battery that lasted a minimum of 5 yrs and that car was driven as frequently as my current vehicles are driven.
I bought my tsx from a dealer in Pa. It spent lots of time outside when I was visiting my mom in NJ including winter months. The highway driving I now do consists of lots of traffic lights and in some area lots of traffic.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My car is only 3 years old but I've started carrying jumper cables because it seems a little weak when cranking lately.

OTOH, I just replaced the OEM Panasonic battery in my wife's Lexus. It was 10 years old and still started the car fine. However the maintenance indicator on top of the battery was showing that it was no longer holding a full charge.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Instructor

I have a 2010 TSX and the battery sucks BIG time. The first week I got my car I had to call Roadside assistance to come jump the car. Twice in one month my battery needed another jump (oct 2013). I had my 2 month old son in my car at both time. I went into Acura last week to get it replaced. The sale guy who original sold me the car goes, yea, the battery does suck in the car. WTF
Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM
Advanced

I wonder if the summer heat wears down the batteries more too?
We have up to -40C days here during winters and the battery has managed to turnover. Granted, its been in an open parkade during those hours. But even inside the parkade, it would probably still be -30C
That said, I'm just waiting for the day where I need a boost in horribly cold weather =/
Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by b.ike
I wonder if the summer heat wears down the batteries more too?
We have up to -40C days here during winters and the battery has managed to turnover. Granted, its been in an open parkade during those hours. But even inside the parkade, it would probably still be -30C
That said, I'm just waiting for the day where I need a boost in horribly cold weather =/
any temparature extreme adversely affects batteries.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I changed mine to Optima last week.
Never wanted to worry about the battery..
Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by ejongjin
So I changed mine to Optima last week.
Never wanted to worry about the battery..
heheh are you sure?

as of late, OPtima branded batteries dont do so hawt any more.
(most likely they have changed suppliers or was bought out)
one of the best batteries out right now is the sears Diehard platinum series.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
heheh are you sure?

as of late, OPtima branded batteries dont do so hawt any more.
(most likely they have changed suppliers or was bought out)
one of the best batteries out right now is the sears Diehard platinum series.
Agreed, maybe some research was in order. If I remember correctly, there are plenty of disgruntled Optima guys here that thought the same thing (my battery problems are over. . .).
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
optima took a dive when they moved prod from denver to mexico/
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (01-23-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd battery in 5 years and still long starts when cold.

I have no Mods at all. I had my OEM battery replaced (Acura, free) in 2011 after a few very long starts in the cold. A year later on the new battery in the cold, I had a few long starts as well. I concluded Acura batteries are week and not well made. I Did nothing at that time.

This week in the cold, after warming the car up via remote start. The car almost did not start and took 3 tries to start it (this is after it ran to warm up). I was thinking I was not going to be able to start it but it finally did. So I don't have time to miss work because of a battery issue and Acura service could not fit me in, I figure I will just buy a new battery and be done with this issue. New battery seems fine so far (first day today), the odd part is when I had the tech install the new battery, I asked him to tested the old one and it tested OK.

I hope I don't have some other issue here, I never had a completely dead battery at all in this car. Also maybe I should have gotten a new free one from Acura because I still was within the 2nd's 3 year replacement. But tired of feeling like in the cold it might not start.

Tonight, new battery non Acura, long start. What ever.......
I hear to many bad things about Optima not going to try a 4th battery, I will call Acura if I get stuck I guess to jump me.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
My first OEM battery lasted barely 36 months and then had to be replaced by the dealer after leaving me stranded in a parking lot, requiring a jump (quite suddenly and in warm weather, btw). My second one is not even 24 months old yet and it's already having issues in the cold weather and on the days where it gets really cold, it *almost* doesn't start, even when the car has already been driven for the day and sitting for just a few hours.

I can't imagine this being cost-effective for Acura when looking at the big picture.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I guess worrying about a car not starting is a big concern for the Auto-Transmission guys :p
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleofXs
I guess worrying about a car not starting is a big concern for the Auto-Transmission guys :p
my TL is a 6MT.

however, I dont ever want to push start my entry level luxury car.
that's why we have batteries.

and yes, i know your comment was sarcasm.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BattleofXs
Hold on, you can still get a few guys and push a modern car and pop the clutch to start?
What is this 1975, Much easer to get 3 guys at walmart willing to push you then just get a jump
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a certified 2012 TSX w/navigation 10,300 miles in Feb '13. I thought it was a little sluggish when it turned over from the beginning, but I wasn't too concerned. I finally took it back to the dealer to ask them about it. They swapped it out for a new battery without issue.

I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My stock Battery lasted 3 yrs (with Aftermarket amp and 12" subs added to stock system) .. was OK until the 3rd year when I noticed slow crank. Got it and the alternator load tested and replaced it with my favorite ... Interstate battery :-)

This Battery rocks !

We've had a very cold winter here in TO. Today is a warmer day ... -20 C (ambient).

absolutely no issues starting car ... Interstate battery much better than OEM.

I don not remember what the CCA is for it but it starts not a problem .. up to -28 C (ambient) being the coldest day so far.

Last edited by E-ManN; 01-29-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Everyday I'm rofling

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,103 Posts
I lied. I got mine replaced a few weeks ago. Sometimes it would struggle to turn over and it finally didn't one day after getting gas. Lasted 2.5 years.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
bought a '10 TSX CPO, they replaced the battery in '12

have a new '12 Sportwagon, TWICE it has left me stranded, apt with dealer next week for new battery and service, 8900mi

Took it to the Sportwagon to the dealer both times they tested and said it tested fine both alt and battery, tech also told me it is the "bare minimum" needed to start the car at 550 cca
Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Strippers4Me
bought a '10 TSX CPO, they replaced the battery in '12

have a new '12 Sportwagon, TWICE it has left me stranded, apt with dealer next week for new battery and service, 8900mi

Took it to the Sportwagon to the dealer both times they tested and said it tested fine both alt and battery, tech also told me it is the "bare minimum" needed to start the car at 550 cca
I bought my CPO 010 13 months ago, and it came with a new battery. I assume it's part of preparing the car for CPO (whether it's official or not). Battery performance (and life) has been an ongoing issue with this car (the TSX, both generations) since day one. That said, I've never had any problems, got around 5 years out of the OE batteries in the 05 and 07, and I'm on my third TSX. It almost seems to be the luck of the draw, though there are enough reports of problems here for it too be much more than just bad luck. If they're going to give you a new battery, then that's good for you. If not, and they continue to tell you that your battery is fine, I'd just bite the bullet and go out and buy a good replacement battery, but . . . that's me.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM
it's a car-drive it

after not driving my tsx for almost a week and with the cold windy temps my 4+year old oem replacement battery was dead when I went to start it. My next door neighbor hooked the battery to their battery tender. We left it on all day and overnight. It has started without problems since then. knock-on-wood.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've had this problem before. Get the battery tested twice within 20-30 minutes, sometimes the first test checks out fine, but the second will show the batteries true charge. All honda/acura batteries have a 100k mile warranty so have the dealership take care of it.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:20 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CapNcook
I've had this problem before. Get the battery tested twice within 20-30 minutes, sometimes the first test checks out fine, but the second will show the batteries true charge. All honda/acura batteries have a 100k mile warranty so have the dealership take care of it.
Really? Please cite your source.

"I read it on the internet somewhere" doesn't count.

My mom has 30k miles on her 2001. Does that mean that her battery is covered for the next 20 years?

Please don't make blatantly incorrect statements.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ceb- I think we both know that OEM batteries have a 100 MONTH warranty. Not sure where he pulled the 100k mile warranty from. If it was true we would all be getting free replacement batteries.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I am unaware of the "blatant incorrectness" of my response, however we used to have a 2006 pilot and I vividly remember reading that the battery was covered by a 100month/100k warranty. That being said it is very well possible that I am incorrect, I am certainly not an expert.

Last edited by CapNcook; 02-26-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
it's a car-drive it

ceb- I think we both know that OEM batteries have a 100 MONTH warranty. Not sure where he pulled the 100k mile warranty from. If it was true we would all be getting free replacement batteries.
depends on your driving. I rather have the 100 month warranty over the 100K mile one. My car reached 100K miles just after it was 3 years old. Luckily acura has the 4yr/unlimited mileage warranty on the original oem battery.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Kinda-sorta.

The battery is covered under the factory warranty for 3/36 (Honda) or 4/50 (Acura). Thereafter, the cost of a replacement battery is prorated up to the 100 months - but - you need to pay for the labor to install the battery. No manufacturer will give you the battery and say "here, you can put it in yourself."

Accordingly, unless you have a really good relationship with your dealer, you can consider the warranty on the battery to be the same as the warranty on the car. Thereafter it is probably cheaper to buy a new battery and install it yourself.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:01 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by ceb
Kinda-sorta.

The battery is covered under the factory warranty for 3/36 (Honda) or 4/50 (Acura). Thereafter, the cost of a replacement battery is prorated up to the 100 months - but - you need to pay for the labor to install the battery. No manufacturer will give you the battery and say "here, you can put it in yourself."

Accordingly, unless you have a really good relationship with your dealer, you can consider the warranty on the battery to be the same as the warranty on the car. Thereafter it is probably cheaper to buy a new battery and install it yourself.
according to the warranty book that came with my 06 tsx- page 29-states as follows-the original equipment battery is covered by a limited warranty for 4 years with no mileage limit. My original battery was replaced free under warranty at 93K+miles.

Quick Reply: 2nd battery in 2 years!