On the fence about getting a type-s, anything to look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2022 | 08:52 AM
6th Gear

On the fence about getting a type-s, anything to look out for?

Hello all,

Currently have a 22 RDX A-Spec and I'm looking at the type-s as well as I kind of want a bit more oomph on my daily commute. Just want to know if there's anything to look out for on the Type-S from current owners?

I assume there's a bit of increased costs to maintenance as it is a performance car, but how are tires doing? I had an IS350 in the past that ate tires constantly because of the toe and camber - does the Type-S do that or does Honda align the car conservatively?

Also had a question about ppf, I'm assuming most folks on here did ppf on their cars? Any that didn't? I'm on the fence about it as it seems a bit like a waste of money to me and I plan to keep the Type-S and RDX until the wheels fall off so I'm not too worried about rock chips 10 years down the road as it is a bit inevitable.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!
Old 05-16-2022 | 10:08 AM
Pro

I'd say just upon delivery do a quick 3-foot look over for panel gaps particularly around the hood, trunk and front/rear bumpers. Listen for any rubbing sound from the steering rack, particularly when turning left for the first time. Make sure the puddle lights are all working.
Can't say too much about the tires are I'm still under 500 miles but I wouldn't expect durability from summer performance tires.
I'd recommend PPF if you're keeping the car long term. It'll protect against rock chips and scratches. Swirl marks will self-heal in warm environments too, or you can pour warm water.
Old 05-16-2022 | 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I would do this first https://www.phearable.net/tuning-sof...-2l-turbo.html thatll get you the oomph youre looking for.
Old 05-16-2022 | 02:35 PM
Family Hauler

Some of the cons you may encounter or read about would be: interior space is not the biggest despite the vehicle being longer and wider, fuel MPG is not great, and not as fast or powerful as some people may think.

Despite those three things; it’s a great vehicle and I, like many other Type S owners, am happy with my TLX-S. As for the tires, I’m just shy of 6k miles and all the tires are looking good.
The following users liked this post:
one4all (05-19-2022)
Old 05-16-2022 | 04:15 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bilirubin
I'd say just upon delivery do a quick 3-foot look over for panel gaps particularly around the hood, trunk and front/rear bumpers. Listen for any rubbing sound from the steering rack, particularly when turning left for the first time. Make sure the puddle lights are all working.
Can't say too much about the tires are I'm still under 500 miles but I wouldn't expect durability from summer performance tires.
I'd recommend PPF if you're keeping the car long term. It'll protect against rock chips and scratches. Swirl marks will self-heal in warm environments too, or you can pour warm water.
Gotcha, thanks for the tips. For the ppf, I believe it's around $1500 CAD for full front hood, etc. I previously did the front but with a half hood for $1000 on the IS350 and still obviously ended getting chips on the unprotected portion, which kind of defeated the purpose of getting it in the first place. So on the fence as I always care so much when it's new but after the honeymoon period ends, I don't care as much haha.

Originally Posted by Nexx
I would do this first https://www.phearable.net/tuning-sof...-2l-turbo.html thatll get you the oomph youre looking for.
I have seen tunes, but a bit wary about doing it as I don't want to compromise the longevity of the powertrain as I intend to keep the RDX for 10 years+

Originally Posted by caLiTLX
Some of the cons you may encounter or read about would be: interior space is not the biggest despite the vehicle being longer and wider, fuel MPG is not great, and not as fast or powerful as some people may think.

Despite those three things; it’s a great vehicle and I, like many other Type S owners, am happy with my TLX-S. As for the tires, I’m just shy of 6k miles and all the tires are looking good.
Thanks, can you fit the 4 wheels/tires in the interior and trunk? As long as I'm able to fit them in for seasonal tire swaps I'm fine with the interior space as I will still have the RDX. Sounds good on the tires as I was worried they had some kind of camber or toe setup that eats away the inner tire.

Although, what you just said may hold me back now as I can't test drive the Type S, only the regular TLX, so I won't be able to get a feel of the power of that motor then....
Old 05-16-2022 | 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueonRed
Hello all,

Currently have a 22 RDX A-Spec and I'm looking at the type-s as well as I kind of want a bit more oomph on my daily commute. Just want to know if there's anything to look out for on the Type-S from current owners?

I assume there's a bit of increased costs to maintenance as it is a performance car, but how are tires doing? I had an IS350 in the past that ate tires constantly because of the toe and camber - does the Type-S do that or does Honda align the car conservatively?

Also had a question about ppf, I'm assuming most folks on here did ppf on their cars? Any that didn't? I'm on the fence about it as it seems a bit like a waste of money to me and I plan to keep the Type-S and RDX until the wheels fall off so I'm not too worried about rock chips 10 years down the road as it is a bit inevitable.

You're really not getting much more "oomph" in a type S than what you have. From what I've read a type S RDX will be a 5.7 0-60 vehicle which is rather blah for a V6 turbo, performance crossover.
jhb31 (05-19-2022)
Old 05-16-2022 | 05:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ColoRDX
You're really not getting much more "oomph" in a type S than what you have. From what I've read a type S RDX will be a 5.7 0-60 vehicle which is rather blah for a V6 turbo, performance crossover.
Can you post more information on the RDX type S? BTW, the OP is asking about the TLX, which is a sedan.

Last edited by richii0207; 05-16-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2022 | 05:57 PM
Family Hauler

I’m assuming you were referring to the MDX Type S? There is no RDX Type S and although many folks would be thrilled if there would be, I would bet and say Acura has no plans on stuffing the V6 turbo engine in it.

If HP numbers and straight line acceleration is a top priority; like others mentioned on here, a flash (once released) should alleviate this issue.
Old 05-17-2022 | 12:44 AM
Safety Car

Bro, if you want a Type-S, get it!
Those 2007-2008 Type-S with ASPEC and Comptech S/C are golden. Just make sure its got the 6MT, you dont wanna be that guy puttering around in an auto. Also, the 3G Type-S doesnt have all those reliability isses that the newer models have.
Old 05-17-2022 | 03:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acura TL Builder
Bro, if you want a Type-S, get it!
Those 2007-2008 Type-S with ASPEC and Comptech S/C are golden. Just make sure its got the 6MT, you dont wanna be that guy puttering around in an auto. Also, the 3G Type-S doesnt have all those reliability isses that the newer models have.
What’s a 3G Type S? Pretty vague statement considering that Type S is just a trim of various vehicles, not a specific model.

If you want a manual, get a Civic Type R. You’ll rarely find anyone nowadays that wants a manual luxury/performance car.

Another thing. OP is asking about TLX Type S issues. Not recommendations for cars.
Old 05-17-2022 | 05:19 AM
Drifting

Some folks have had to reapply the ppf after their puddle lights failed. I believe Acura removes the whole side mirror assembly as part of the "fix."

Unfortunately, current reports from owners who have had the "permanent fix" have still had the puddle lights fail again (not all....so far).
Old 05-17-2022 | 06:42 AM
AZ Community Team

I’m assuming you were referring to the MDX Type S? There is no RDX Type S and although many folks would be thrilled if there would be, I would bet and say Acura has no plans on stuffing the V6 turbo engine in it.

If HP numbers and straight line acceleration is a top priority; like others mentioned on here, a flash (once released) should alleviate this issue.
Not in this current generation at least. Acura has stated they want to give their whole lineup the Type S treatment so the next generation RDX will likely see it.
The following 3 users liked this post by KrylonBlue:
bilirubin (05-17-2022), ELIN (05-17-2022), MarcoTLX (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 04:26 PM
Racer

I'm referring to the RDX Type S. It's not here yet but there will be one. Google it. Several websites say it's in the works. If they use the same MDX Type S powertrain in the RDX, it too will probably be just as uninspiring as the MDX Type S. It would be nice to see Acura take the lead in 4/6 cyl turbo performance instead of chasing the pack. Handling is nice. Get a Miata.
Old 05-17-2022 | 04:50 PM
Pro

I'm referring to the RDX Type S. It's not here yet but there will be one. Google it. Several websites say it's in the works. If they use the same MDX Type S powertrain in the RDX, it too will probably be just as uninspiring as the MDX Type S. It would be nice to see Acura take the lead in 4/6 cyl turbo performance instead of chasing the pack. Handling is nice. Get a Miata.
OP is asking about things to look out for when getting a TLX Type S, not our recommendations of cars or SUVs. Not sure why another vehicle was brought up. Shall we talk about sports too?
The following 3 users liked this post by richii0207:
Jim2301 (05-17-2022), KidK (05-19-2022), wizardjjr (05-20-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 05:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by richii0207
OP is asking about things to look out for when getting a TLX Type S, not our recommendations of cars or SUVs. Not sure why another vehicle was brought up. Shall we talk about sports too?
Pot calling the kettle black. Exhibit 1:

The Suburban/Escalade XL are much bigger than the GLS.
Originally Posted by ELIN
Are you not following the statement I responded to? I simply stated that Tony Pac shouldn't have lumped the GLS in with the MDX (since he was talking about apples to apples comparisons). Not sure why there is a need to bring up the Suburban/Escalade at all.
Are you an admin on a burner account? Let the admins do their jobs!
Old 05-17-2022 | 05:52 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ELIN
Pot calling the kettle black. Exhibit 1:

Are you an admin on a burner account? Let the admins do their jobs!
The Escalade comment was to show how off-topic their conversation was. It was confirmed by the poster replying “we aren’t talking about full-size SUVs, but midsize”. I thought it was pretty clear.

Admins are clearly not doing a perfect job, but the constant trolls that take nearly every thread off topic is not helping and is why the TLX section is dead but there’s thousands of members in another community.

Case in point:
1) This thread: don’t have to explain it
2) TLX sales thread: SUV talk, then someone talking about how fast their BMW can keep up with an M3
3) Thread asking how to remove brace: people expressing their opinions on it
4) Necro’d thread from a user to reply to a post from a year ago. Then talks about how a TLX Type S is not a thrilling car to daily despite him not having one.
5) TLX vs Competition: Magazine racers who spend their afternoons talking about the driving dynamics of a car, then accidentally saying he has never driven it.

lots of trolls here, with most of them never having interest or driving the car but seem to want to stick around what whatever reason

This forum makes it nearly impossible to find a troubleshooting thread or a question and find the answer without having to search through useless irrelevant posts.

Last edited by richii0207; 05-17-2022 at 06:01 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by richii0207:
billxlisa (05-22-2022), frainc (05-19-2022), MarcoTLX (05-18-2022), wizardjjr (05-20-2022)
Old 05-17-2022 | 06:51 PM
Drifting

Yes, there will be an RDX Type S but it will have to wait until the next generation. It's understood that the current gen RDX engine bay is too small to fit the new V6.

Since the MMC just came out, you prob have to wait at least 2 more years before the next gen RDX debuts.
Old 05-18-2022 | 04:42 AM
6G TLX-S

If you have been with Honda/Acura for decades, you will realize the trend that Honda/Acura products announced even by official Honda/Acura channels don't necessary make it into the market, no matter how mature the product programs are, or how close it is to product launches; let alone believing 100% the news and rumors posted on internet websites. Only believe if you see the actual vehicle inside Honda/Acura dealership showrooms.

Some examples of these cancelled programs are RWD platform, V8 engine, North American diesel engine, etc. The 2G NSX took almost 9 years from first rumors to the final product that customers can drive home.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
ELIN (05-18-2022), MarcoTLX (05-18-2022)
Old 05-18-2022 | 09:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Folks, please keep the topic on thread. Thanks!
The following 2 users liked this post by Legend2TL:
KrylonBlue (05-18-2022), wizardjjr (05-20-2022)
Old 05-18-2022 | 10:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Smile

I'm looking at the TLX Type-S as well as I kind of want a bit more oomph on my daily commute. Just want to know if there's anything to look out for on the Type-S from current owners?
Not an owner, but did test drive TLX-2.0T SH-AWD a couple of times (almost bought a 2021 TLX-2.0T Advance). Also, spend a bunch of time reading here:

I would definitely test drive a 2G TLX V6 Type-S first. For a car over $50k that you are hoping to keep a long time (ie, locked-into):
- Be sure it's fast enough off the line for you (ie, "quick from a stop")
- Check responsiveness of transmission when it is auto-shifting and also when you are manual-shifting using paddles (if that's your thing)
- Be sure it's lack "Digital Dash" is acceptable to you
- Be sure it's lack "Surround View Cameras" is acceptable to you

TLX Reliability issues seem to include:
- Steering rack issues (first models built ... build-process or parts might be corrected by now)
- Water getting into side-mirrors and blowing light-bulbs
- Infotainment and Head-Unit issues (some fixable, some just by-design limitations)

Not really into manual-transmissions any more (left that with my old Celicas). On my old 2004 Accord-V6, 2014-MDX-V6-SHAWD, and even our two new Audi's ... the auto-transmissions were/are responsive and auto-shifts fine and quick. You just floor the gas petal and hang-on.

Since the TLX Type-S is SHAWD, my guess is those stock Acura Summer-Tires should work fine year-round ... if you are in Texas (or the South) where it only snows once or twice a year. I've driven my A5 on ice and snow with no problems (Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19 summer-tires it came with felt safe and planted). If you drive in A LOT of Snow, I think I would just permanently install a performance All-Season tire (like they put on most Corvettes now-days).

Good luck with your purchase. Are the Acura dealers getting some 2022 models now?

Last edited by Tesla1856; 05-18-2022 at 10:09 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-19-2022 | 11:06 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Tesla1856
Not an owner, but did test drive TLX-2.0T SH-AWD a couple of times (almost bought a 2021 TLX-2.0T Advance). Also, spend a bunch of time reading here:

I would definitely test drive a 2G TLX V6 Type-S first. For a car over $50k that you are hoping to keep a long time (ie, locked-into):
- Check responsiveness of transmission when it is auto-shifting and also when you are manual-shifting using paddles (if that's your thing)

TLX Reliability issues seem to include:
- Steering rack issues (first models built ... build-process or parts might be corrected by now)
- Water getting into side-mirrors and blowing light-bulbs
- Infotainment and Head-Unit issues (some fixable, some just by-design limitations)

Not really into manual-transmissions any more (left that with my old Celicas). On my old 2004 Accord-V6, 2014-MDX-V6-SHAWD, and even our two new Audi's ... the auto-transmissions were/are responsive and auto-shifts fine and quick. You just floor the gas petal and hang-on.

Since the TLX Type-S is SHAWD, my guess is those stock Acura Summer-Tires should work fine year-round ... if you are in Texas (or the South) where it only snows once or twice a year. I've driven my A5 on ice and snow with no problems (Bridgestone Potenza 255/35-R19 summer-tires it came with felt safe and planted). If you drive in A LOT of Snow, I think I would just permanently install a performance All-Season tire (like they put on most Corvettes now-days).

Good luck with your purchase. Are the Acura dealers getting some 2022 models now?
I drove my Type S with the stock all season tires through rain, snow and sleet and it handled fine to me. Granted, I have always driven in the snow with all seasons so I’m fairly used to doing so. No plans to switch to winter tires myself.
ELIN (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022 | 11:44 AM
Pro

Hello all,

Main things based on several communities with owners and including myself (Type S owner)

- Misalignment of body panels/bodykits. Sometimes not sitting flush

- Reports of puddle lights under mirror going out. Has not occurred with mine after 6 months of ownership including power washing and heavy rain. There are suggestions that a revised part fixes this.
Old 05-19-2022 | 06:45 PM
6th Gear

Thanks guys, I think I am for sure second guessing this purchase now due to mainly the lack of test drives available to me just because of the lack of inventory. I can test drive the regular TLX but I guess there's no way to compare the power difference with the Type S.
Old 05-19-2022 | 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

This exactly. It will have a little extra but maybe not as much as you think. As for service costs I wouldn't expect it to be much more. Acura has always been pretty cheap to own that way. Then again service for any car these days is running on the higher side.
Old 05-19-2022 | 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tesla1856

If he/she hasn't had a digital dash or surround cameras then it will not be missed. If you have had it then you will miss it for sure. Heads up display the same thing.
Old 05-19-2022 | 08:21 PM
Pro

Thanks guys, I think I am for sure second guessing this purchase now due to mainly the lack of test drives available to me just because of the lack of inventory. I can test drive the regular TLX but I guess there's no way to compare the power difference with the Type S.
Yea, you can’t really compare the two (regular TLX vs Type S), especially when there’s variety of suspension/chassis changes that give it a much more engaging drive. It’ll be like test driving a Civic Si instead of a Civic Type R. You can read numbers on a spec sheet, but the only way to feel the driving engagement is to test drive it.

I hope you can find one for a test drive. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited by richii0207; 05-19-2022 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2022 | 09:33 PM
Pro

There's no comparison. This is coming from someone who had an Aspec before that. The car is a blast to drive and has a lot of potential. Just watch some Hondamobilemechanic to see what few bolt ons can do.

KidK (05-26-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 10:16 AM
Instructor

If you have test driven the current 2G TLX SHAWD and enjoy driving it, you are going to really enjoy the TYPE S. nough said.
Old 05-20-2022 | 11:05 AM
Pro

I had the TLX A-spec for a day. Compared to my Type S, the most obvious difference is the engine note. The 2.0T is quite drone-y compared to the V6 turbo. And the pumped in engine noise on the A-spec in sport mode is quite jarring IMO. The Type S engine noise in sport/sport+ feels more natural and unforced, but a lot of that is also exhaust note. The ride quality on the 2.0T is firmer than than my Type S in comfort mode about the same as normal mode, and softer than the Type S in Sport/Sport+ (keep in mind the Type S is on 20's. In terms of "oomph" the Type S definitely feels quicker on throttle and feels more planted on cornering. The transmission feels more responsive on the Type S as well. The A-spec was kinda laggy when I floored it, even when in sport mode and the transmission on S.
wizardjjr (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022 | 08:10 PM
Drifting

- Reports of puddle lights under mirror going out. Has not occurred with mine after 6 months of ownership including power washing and heavy rain. There are suggestions that a revised part fixes this.
Originally Posted by wizardjjr
They replaced my entire side mirror and the problem eventually returned. I honestly don't even care if the TLX has puddle lights( they aren't even that bright), but I do care that I have to waste my time having them fixed every 6months. I will have them deal with it again on the next service. This car has been out for 2 years and they still haven't fixed it? What a joke. Btw, mine went out in the rain, not related to pressure washing.
Something to keep in mind in case puddle lights going out are a deal-breaker...
Old 05-21-2022 | 06:15 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Originally Posted by jhb31
If he/she hasn't had a digital dash or surround cameras then it will not be missed. If you have had it then you will miss it for sure. Heads up display the same thing.
Oddly enough, there are many on the BMW forum that wish for the older dash. I am one who prefers the round "steam" gauges, even when they are actually 100% digital.

But the lack of surround cameras and heads up display were key reasons I decided against the new TLX-S. Now that I've got over 1,100 miles on my new vehicle with both I will never buy a car without. both.
The following 4 users liked this post by mike03a3:
DLM1213 (05-21-2022), Edward'TLS (05-22-2022), MarcoTLX (05-23-2022), Tesla1856 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-22-2022 | 12:40 AM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by mike03a3
Oddly enough, there are many on the BMW forum that wish for the older dash. I am one who prefers the round "steam" gauges, even when they are actually 100% digital.

But the lack of surround cameras and heads up display were key reasons I decided against the new TLX-S. Now that I've got over 1,100 miles on my new vehicle with both I will never buy a car without. both.
Honestly, the TLX-S has no contest, even if it has every bells and whistles that you want. The M550i x-drive (a RLX class vehicle) is simply another class category above the TLX class vehicles.

Old 05-22-2022 | 05:41 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bilirubin
I had the TLX A-spec for a day. Compared to my Type S, the most obvious difference is the engine note. The 2.0T is quite drone-y compared to the V6 turbo. And the pumped in engine noise on the A-spec in sport mode is quite jarring IMO. The Type S engine noise in sport/sport+ feels more natural and unforced, but a lot of that is also exhaust note. The ride quality on the 2.0T is firmer than than my Type S in comfort mode about the same as normal mode, and softer than the Type S in Sport/Sport+ (keep in mind the Type S is on 20's. In terms of "oomph" the Type S definitely feels quicker on throttle and feels more planted on cornering. The transmission feels more responsive on the Type S as well. The A-spec was kinda laggy when I floored it, even when in sport mode and the transmission on S.
Yes, a good description of my experience exactly. I test drove an A-spec then bought a Type S. The difference is night and day, more low end power (from the very good torque curve of the V6), much quicker transmission shifting in Sport and Sport + (in the Sport modes the transmission practically reads your mind on a curvy road), and a much better feel in cornering or daily driving.
bilirubin (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022 | 01:06 PM
Air Vice Marshal

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Honestly, the TLX-S has no contest, even if it has every bells and whistles that you want. The M550i x-drive (a RLX class vehicle) is simply another class category above the TLX class vehicles.
My comment was not comparing my new car to a TLX-S, it was simply pointing out that I would never buy another car lacking those two features. Features which were, and are, available within the Accord and TLX product lines.
Old 05-25-2022 | 09:05 AM
®

"I intend to keep the RDX for 10 years+" - you're looking into selling it already (a 2022 at that...). Stop lying to yourself, that car will be gone by the end of this month. You're willing to spend $20k (between loss on the trade that is brand new and new Type S) for some "oomph"? Find a way to add that to your current car and get it tuned, or just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 05-25-2022 | 09:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by loki
"I intend to keep the RDX for 10 years+" - you're looking into selling it already (a 2022 at that...). Stop lying to yourself, that car will be gone by the end of this month. You're willing to spend $20k (between loss on the trade that is brand new and new Type S) for some "oomph"? Find a way to add that to your current car and get it tuned, or just enjoy it for what it is.
He specifically said he’s not trading in his RDX, but rather add another vehicle to his stable. Tuning is playing with fire in regards to warranty, especially if there’s an expensive drivetrain issue.