Worried Female 2002 TL Type S Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worried Female 2002 TL Type S Transmission

Please don't be too technical, I am a female, in fact an old female with concerns about my 2002 TL's transmission.

I bought the car (pre-certified) in 2003 with 18,000 miles, now has 48,000 miles. About 4 years after ownership I received notice regarding transmission issues and warranty was extended. It has since expired.

I have had only one problem (engine racing) which turned out to be a sensor.

Yesterday, something occurred which got me very concerned. I was at a red light. Upon light change I accelerated and went about 200 feet and felt like I was driving over a rumble strip (car shuddered) then my VSA light, Warning light and Check Engine light came on. Car performed OK though and I was able to get home. Once there, I was able to reset the VSA and the warning light turned off, but Check Engine light is still on. I can recall only one other occasion (within past six month) that it felt that the transmission shifting hung up between 2 and 3 for about 5 seconds.

Husband took car for a brief drive and said it seems OK. He is not a car guy.

Anyway, I am not sure what do first. Should I see if I can get someone to do a code check, change the transmission fluid, or take to Acura to diagnosis or misdiagnosis. My biggest fear in taking it back to the dealer is with known transmission issues they are going to automatically tell me I am going to need a new one.

With the intentions of getting a new car within the year, the cost of a new transmission install is discouraging.

With many thanks for your suggestions.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Welcome Kush46 !!!!

So ya bought the '02 TL-S in '03 @ 18k certified.....and now 10 years later, ya have 48k on the dial. Less than 5k per year average ! In '07, when ya received the recall notice....did ya take it in to the local Acura dealership for inspection of the tranny ?

If I were in your present situation, I'd talk to your local Acura service manager about the problem and the recall. See what they recommend doing. They like factory recall business and realize that ya may be in the market for a new car. Ya can call Acura to find out if the recall is still open, considering your low mileage.

Curious, how did ya reset the VSA ? Ya can have any local auto parts store read the "CEL" code for free. Get that done....and let us know what the code is. Do ya remember what the "racing" sensor code was for ? Maybe we can help with some inexpensive temporary fixes to get ya by another year if the dealer isn't being co-operative. In the meantime, check the AT fluid level and condition. It should be at the full mark, appear red in color, and not smell burnt. Check back with results !
The following users liked this post:
Kush46 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
First thing first. Your TL has the Check Engine Light turned on.

Like 3.2TLc said, first find out the nature of the error codes stored inside the car computer, then determine what's the next step to take according to what the codes will reveal.
Kush46 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by Kush46
Please don't be too technical, I am a female
Most sexist post I've ever read.
Kush46 (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
6th Gear

Hey I can't thank you all enough for your input! I will follow thru and then follow up here.

The notice I got about the transmission was not a recall notice, but just to advise that the model had been identified as one which could have transmission failure and to notify of extended coverage. So I didn't take it in to the dealer as I wasn't having issues.

I was able to shut the VSA Warning Lights off by restarting the car and resetting the VSA back to on. It took a couple resets before the warning lights went off. So whatever occurred knocked the VSA off.

I'll have to check my records to see if I there is any documentation of the code for the engine revving (racing) incident.

It is really a beautiful car, shortly after I got it I had the additional the trim panels (I call them ground effects) added, so it has a sportier look. My mileage would have even been lower, but I let my brother use it when his car was being repaired. He probably added 5K to it. We use husband's vehicle mostly which is why he has a 09 and I have an 02. Want to get his paid off before I get a new one.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Kushi46, a couple of tips: Let the traction control switch off. Check the tranny's dipstick for level and overall condition of the fluid. Have a local auto parts store tell you what the CEL codes are. (this is normally a free service) Then tell us and we will help you.

Either call Acura @ 800# or your local Acura dealership to confirm if the tranny recall notice was performed. It usually consisted of installing a tranny oil jet pack, if the tranny gear inspection was ok. Some cars had their tranny's replaced under that extended recall.

It's recommended to replace the AT fluid @ 15k intervals. If this has'nt been done recently, a simple drain & fill using only Honda DW1 fluid would be beneficial. This is as easy as an oil change ! Keeping the fluid clean is essential to our trannys.

If you like the car, it's well worth the money and effort spent as opposed to another added car payment. IMO. Best of luck !!!!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:26 PM
6th Gear

3.2TLc
Thanks for the tips. I am embarrassed, the transmission fluid has never been changed in the car during my ownership. I've had 9 cars over my lifetime and never had/knew to change the tranny fluid.

Before I check the fluid I have to ask some questions. When I check the level should it be with cold or hot engine? Should car be running? If my brother gets out of his bad mood, I'll get him to check it instead of me. He is very talented with mechanics.

Curious why should I switch VSA off?

Won't be able to get codes checked until tomorrow or Tuesday. I am afraid to drive the car for fear of doing damage.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Don't be afraid of doing damage, but I'm pretty sure it's obvious as to why your tranny is dying.

You are still capable of replacing the tranny and selling the car for a nice sum of money, especially since it's really low on miles and a type s
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Wink possible concerns.......

Originally Posted by Kush46
Yesterday, something occurred which got me very concerned. I was at a red light. Upon light change I accelerated and went about 200 feet and felt like I was driving over a rumble strip (car shuddered) then my VSA light, Warning light and Check Engine light came on. Car performed OK though and I was able to get home. Once there, I was able to reset the VSA and the warning light turned off, but Check Engine light is still on. I can recall only one other occasion (within past six month) that it felt that the transmission shifting hung up between 2 and 3 for about 5 seconds.

Don't sweat over what you're unsure of just yet !
With the lower mileage and apparently only but a couple of minor incidents, I personally would'nt be afraid to drive the car. When issues become much more frequent or should the "D5" indicator start flashing, then you may have more reason to be reluctant to operate the car.

The traction control can cause unwanted VSA problems. Just keep it off !
To properly check the AT fluid level, operate and drive the car in a spirited manner, making sure that it has been through all the shift points and is fully warmed up. Then park the car on a level spot and turn the motor off, let it sit a few minutes and remove the yellow dipstick to the tranny, which is located on the driver's side of the motor near to the rear corner of the battery. When you pull the dipstick, check the fluid's appearance for dark discoloration other than red, any residue, and smell it for a burnt odor. Clean the stick and re-insert it to get a good read on the level, which should normally be near to the top hole in the stick.

Don't fret about doing any more damage.....unless the warning lights start flashing ! As for not changing the fluid, this was an afterthought on Acura's belated PM servicing. Most regular people don't really ever bother with their trannys, but unfortunately ours are prone to issues, so it's wise to do whatever possible to help prolong the tranny's life.

You'll be able to do this yourself, don't rely upon people who don't care !!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:11 AM
6th Gear

Ok. Not sure this sounds good. CEL Code was PO730, Gear Ratio Incorrect. Checked the fluid. It is not low, does not smell burnt, and is orange red in color. VSA turned off as suggested. It resets back to on ever time I have to restart. No biggie, I just shut it off again.

Short drive today, not good. Noticeable delayed shifting between 2nd and 3rd. I usually run it in D5 and don't use the manual shifting to often. However, I slid it over and tried to manually shift from 3 to 4 and it would not shift up to 4, so I pulled it back into D5.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Code P0730 indicates that there is potentially a problem within the shift control system.
You can try searching this site for more info on the code or even just "Google it".

While it's a long shot, the previous "revving" issue (speed sensor) may possibly be related to this present problem. Personally, I'd try a tranny drain & fill. Check the magnetic drain plug for residue and have the fluid analyzed for worn clutch fines. Some folks have also replaced the tranny filter and cleaned the shift solenoid screens. Check all of the electrical connectors and grounds for the tranny. The "CEL" can be cleared and reset by removing #13 fuse (clock back-up) and then re-install. (located within the passenger side interior fuse panel)

In the meantime, try to find out about the "Recall status" and if the required work was completed.
Acura may be willing to assist you even though the time has lapsed. Best case scenario may be a bad shift control solenoid valve or clutch pressure control solenoid ????

If the tranny is indeed diagnosed as requiring a rebuild or replacement, you may still be able to buy some time with the simple basic things. On the other hand, you may decide to sell or trade earlier. Should you want to keep it and replace the tranny when needed, consider installing a used '06>'07 Accord V-6 tranny. They are an improved design and are much more reliable than our original tranny. Somewhere around $1000 for the used tranny, plus about another $500 to put in. A better alternative than rebuilding !!!
Kush46 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 11:09 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Kush46, just as a precaution.

Maybe worth checking out if you can fast-track your new car purchase plan.
Kush46 (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Kushi46, while you're contemplating what's next....ya gotta ask yourself : How much do I like the TL and do I wanna hang on to it longer than a year ?

Apparently with 9 cars under your belt, this one has been a bit more special to ya !
I'm basing that on the fact that you've owned this car for about 10 years. I'm willing to bet that none of the other cars came even close ! So, in closing is it worth investing some money into the ol TL for another 5 years of use or do ya give up and just kick the can down the road and move on ?

These cars are awesome and IMO worth every dime that ya put into them. What would ya be considering as a replacement to the TL ? Maybe take your husband's '09 and let him get the new toy !!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
6th Gear

Hey Kushi46, while you're contemplating what's next....ya gotta ask yourself : How much do I like the TL and do I wanna hang on to it longer than a year ?

Apparently with 9 cars under your belt, this one has been a bit more special to ya !
I'm basing that on the fact that you've owned this car for about 10 years. I'm willing to bet that none of the other cars came even close ! So, in closing is it worth investing some money into the ol TL for another 5 years of use or do ya give up and just kick the can down the road and move on ?

These cars are awesome and IMO worth every dime that ya put into them. What would ya be considering as a replacement to the TL ? Maybe take your husband's '09 and let him get the new toy !!!!

---------
You are very intuitive, I am contemplating. Today had to take a mental break and step away for a bit.

When I was younger I was getting a new car every 2 years, it was affordable then and I had no other responsibilities. As life changed I started keeping them longer. Yes, I must admit this Acura is one of my favorites, only topped by my 82 Prelude. I loved that car, had it 11 years with over 100K when someone ran thru an intersection and totaled it. My Acura has also started a trend in the family, 3 others have purchased one.

It is time for a new car for me however, something smaller. I would like to get another Acura if financially possible. Based on my age, the next vehicle will probably be the last in my lifetime.

Re: My DH's 09 is not an Acura, but a Nissan Murano. Too big for me. We were going to get the RDX, but the manager at our local dealer was a real jerk. If I am able to get a new Acura, I will be going out of state to buy it.

Any how, I wanted to tell you I checked my documents and info on Acura Link and I did have the recall performed in 05. The other issue with the engine racing in 07 was coded at PO505 and found IAC valve was faulty and was replaced under warranty.

Now I need to ask you for your opinion here. I printed out your recommendations. Is the tranny drain/refill and other items something I can get someone other then Acura to do? Brother recommended someone his very picky friends use who is very good and local. After that is done and based on the results I plan on contacting Acura corporate. I just don't want to jeopardize my relationship with Acura and any goodwill they may extend.

I know there is money to be spent and I gotta do it, there is no alternative. I can't trade or sell the car without addressing this.

I can't thank you enough for all your assistance!!! You're willingness to help is outstanding and very much appreciated.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Wink Contemplating.......what to do next ?

Today had to take a mental break and step away for a bit.
This is always a good thing to do !

It is time for a new car for me however, something smaller. I would like to get another Acura if financially possible. Based on my age, the next vehicle will probably be the last in my lifetime.
Consider the Acura TSX @ $30k or the Honda Accord @ $24k, both exceptionally good values !

Re: My DH's 09 is not an Acura, but a Nissan Murano. Too big for me. We were going to get the RDX, but the manager at our local dealer was a real jerk. If I am able to get a new Acura, I will be going out of state to buy it.
The RDX is so much better ! What a bummer...out of state, no way !!!!

Is the tranny drain/refill and other items something I can get someone other then Acura to do? Brother recommended someone his very picky friends use who is very good and local. After that is done and based on the results I plan on contacting Acura corporate. I just don't want to jeopardize my relationship with Acura and any goodwill they may extend.
While anybody that can do an oil change could do this, consider going to that dreaded local Acura dealership and see what they are willing to allow you on a trade for a new car. What have you got to lose ? Any goodwill would be in the way of a high trade in value for your clean low mileage TL-S. Be willing to walk away from the sales person, and then proceed to the service manager if they find a tranny issue. Make sure that the CEL is cleared before going to the dealer ! Just play dumb, you may have an advantage if you do so, IMO.

I know there is money to be spent and I gotta do it, there is no alternative. I can't trade or sell the car without addressing this.
Look at the big picture, Acura did'nt care ....so why should you.....just everyday business as normal, you must do what's in your best overall interest !

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 06-18-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
6th Gear

Contemplating...

Your advise is spot on again. I am going to do get the tranny serviced locally then proceed.

Like you, he's pretty logical. He gave me an ear beating last nite. Told me since the car isn't driven much, filters, screens and the such will be more affected then if it was driven more often.

Why out of state...My family's experience. SIL got a TL in 2010. Its loaded. They were trying to make a deal with the same friendly Acura dealer here and were getting no where. Their son had purchased a car at Pohanka in Virginia so they contacted them and got a good deal with no trade. They ended up getting the TL here however. Told Acura dealer here they were going to Virginia and when the big wigs heard that, they sold them the TL for the price being given at Pohanka. Quoted, we don't want our potential customers going out of state.

When he purchased his 2013 MDX, he didn't want to play games again and went directly to Pohanka. All arrangement were actually done over the phone, they drove down and picked it up. He said he paid less for the MDX then the TL. Both said they would do it again in a heart beat. MDX gets serviced here.

I will update here after tranny service. Keeping fingers crossed for good results. Wish me luck.