wet tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2002, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wet tire shine

whenever i clean my car i put the wet tire shine on my tires and am real careful bout where i spray it..

a couple times, when i was driving out the carwash.. there was a weird rubbing sound when i braked.. im guessing some of the wet tire shine ended up on my rotors... and also after i got my mud guards off i noticed some of the crap on my body behind the wheels...

how do u guys do it? i apply it with a towel now and i try not to use too much.. just enough to make it shiny..
what should i do
Old 11-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I use the Black Magic tire gel. It comes with an applicator... so I just put the gel on the applicator and rub it on. Nice and neat and it shines the tires up very nicely
Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Racer

I use the Meguire's Tire Gel and Shine. This stuff lasts for weeks at a time. Even through the car wash. I just use a foam wax applicator. It works really well and it comes out really even. Speaking of tire shine, has anyone tried that colored tire shine?
Old 11-01-2002, 02:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by BASISON
I use the Meguire's Tire Gel and Shine. This stuff lasts for weeks at a time. Even through the car wash. I just use a foam wax applicator. It works really well and it comes out really even. Speaking of tire shine, has anyone tried that colored tire shine?
I haven't used it... but I've seen it. Honestly.. it's pretty crappy looking......
Old 11-01-2002, 03:49 PM
Having Fun?

I use the $1.00 tire swipes from eagle one. You can pick em up at walmart/target/autozone, etc.

Spray on swipes, than apply to tires. That way you aren't spraying onto your tires and getting overspray

-copland007
Old 11-01-2002, 04:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by copland007
I use the $1.00 tire swipes from eagle one. You can pick em up at walmart/target/autozone, etc.

Spray on swipes, than apply to tires. That way you aren't spraying onto your tires and getting overspray

-copland007
yep!! thats what i do. Works everytime with no mess at all!
Old 11-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Race Director

Do You guys clean your tires with Car Shampoo or something before tire shining? And Do you use a Brush?
Old 11-01-2002, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Meguiard tire shine works great. I use the regular not high gloss and it still looks good. and if you get that colored stuff ill shoot u
Old 11-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2004TL
Do You guys clean your tires with Car Shampoo or something before tire shining? And Do you use a Brush?
Eagle One tire cleaner is what I use. Sear's had (or has) a sale on the stuff for $1.07 bottle.

A tire brush and some good shampoo is fine if you don't get 'em too dirty!
Old 11-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Talking Meguiar's Endurance

Personally, I like to use Meguiar's Endurance. Perhaps us Canadians don't have the "tire shine" that other board members use. It looks great and it lasts several washes before it starts to turn brown. Only setback: you have to wait until the tires are dry before you apply the gel with the included applicator.

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM kit & spoiler, PIAA fogs, 20% tints, 3A racing tips, painted calipers & y-pipe, INSPIRE sills
future mods: springs, sways, JDM conversion (?)
Old 11-03-2002, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

All that stuff they just told you about is junk. ALL of is will spin off. Turtle Wax makes a tire shine that will not spin off and will last a good 250 miles of city driving. When you put properly, you can shave in the reflection. It looks like glass, and that is no exageration. It also comes with a applicator, but do not follow the directions on there. Put a generous amount on the applicator on the dab it on to 4 or 5 spots on the tire. Then go back and wipe it into the tire. Cover the whole tire of course. Under no circumstance are you to wipe it off the tire like the box says. Then go do the other 3 tires, and start all over again with a second coat. It does not have to be applied evenly, just make sure the coverage is plentyful. It will look like Cr#p when you put it on. You have to wait at least 15 minutes until you drive the car after you apply the last coat, or it will not set up properly. As the minutes go by, you can literally see it set up in progress. It is a white gel that also smells good. Trust me on this, you will not be let down, and it will not sling off onto your paint. Your only problem might be finding the stuff.....It is hard to get sometimes. Kmart usually has it. Let me know how it does for you.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:10 PM
Instructor

k ..the auto zone doesn't have that stuff but i will look at kmart...

with all this crap about the shine spinning off... should i just not even bother with the tire shine? if it gets on my rotors and my body?
Old 11-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by milesreed1
All that stuff they just told you about is junk. ALL of is will spin off. Turtle Wax makes a tire shine that will not spin off and will last a good 250 miles of city driving. When you put properly, you can shave in the reflection. It looks like glass, and that is no exageration. It also comes with a applicator, but do not follow the directions on there. Put a generous amount on the applicator on the dab it on to 4 or 5 spots on the tire. Then go back and wipe it into the tire. Cover the whole tire of course. Under no circumstance are you to wipe it off the tire like the box says. Then go do the other 3 tires, and start all over again with a second coat. It does not have to be applied evenly, just make sure the coverage is plentyful. It will look like Cr#p when you put it on. You have to wait at least 15 minutes until you drive the car after you apply the last coat, or it will not set up properly. As the minutes go by, you can literally see it set up in progress. It is a white gel that also smells good. Trust me on this, you will not be let down, and it will not sling off onto your paint. Your only problem might be finding the stuff.....It is hard to get sometimes. Kmart usually has it. Let me know how it does for you.
You have a camera so you can show us the diff.. THANKS.. I live in Olathe, Will My K-Mart have it?
Old 11-03-2002, 06:27 PM
Advanced

I use Armor All's Extreme Tire Shine. It works well and last a pretty long time.

Heres a little tip....NEVER use the spray...It makes a mess, gets on your rims and any breeze will catch the mist and blow it on your paint. Here's a trick that will make your bottle of tire shine last a real long time and is much neater to apply. Pour some tire shine in a little plastic container. Your wife's or your mother's best tuperware will be superb. Go to Home Depot and buy yourself a 3" paint brush. Pour just enough tire shine in the container and apply it to the tires as if you're painting it black. Any excess left in your wife's tuperware just pour back into the bottle. Store the brush in the container until the next wash. You won't have any overspray or drips. It will be applied to the tire evenly and looks great.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:50 PM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
Rob TL-S,

I do the same thing. I didn't think anyone new that trick....it makes the bottle last forever....and you can apply the tire shine everyday!
Old 11-04-2002, 12:51 AM
Comptech Freak

Re: Meguiar's Endurance

Originally posted by derrick
Personally, I like to use Meguiar's Endurance. Perhaps us Canadians don't have the "tire shine" that other board members use. It looks great and it lasts several washes before it starts to turn brown. Only setback: you have to wait until the tires are dry before you apply the gel with the included applicator.

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM kit & spoiler, PIAA fogs, 20% tints, 3A racing tips, painted calipers & y-pipe, INSPIRE sills
future mods: springs, sways, JDM conversion (?)
I am using Meguiar's too...it lasts weeks and i have used more than 32 tires than it suggested...the applicator will go out after a couple times so u need to buy a new one..i am using eagle one applicator that wipes on too easy

and i just bought a new bottle of HIGH GLOSS version of the endurance...it's even better~ =)

stop wasting money on the tire spray that lasts 3 days...get the real stuff...
Old 11-04-2002, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by milesreed1
All that stuff they just told you about is junk. ALL of is will spin off. Turtle Wax makes a tire shine that will not spin off and will last a good 250 miles of city driving.
Actually the Black Magic stuff I use does not spin off at all. Plus.. it lasts for weeks.... ex: I detailed my car on 10/21. Since then we've had several days of rain (about 5 or 6), and one snow shower which left a dusting. Plus... I park outside... and my tires still look like they have the tire shine on them. Of course it's not as glossy as when applied, but it's still somewhat shiny. I'm sure all of the tire gels are the same crap. If you compared ingredients they'd be very similar.....
Old 11-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Banned

i have used that color gel thing before... but NOT on my car. it was on my dads truck before i had my car... it didnt look too bad but it didnt look too good either. it was a b!tch to put it on too. personally... i wouldnt do it again... much less on my car.