TL-S Tranny Problem, VIN Number Check UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 09:42 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Dealer finally got my tranny in yesterday! Should get the car back NLT Friday. It's been in the shop for 3 weeks, counting the replaced solenoid work (which lasted about 50 miles)! The dealer has done what they could. It seemed that they were getting the runaround from Acura (or Honda). Well, anyway, We're getting it back and it's up for sale! I will not worry about this happening again, like Redline's situation.

Randall
2002 White Diamond Pearl
Touring Pkge w/o Nav.
Old 04-04-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the info Questor...I think we all need to stick together and start writing some letters...especially to investigative auto and consumer magazines.

There has to be a way to make it public...I am sure Acura would not appreciate the bad press...and God forbid that there would be so many major mechanical failures with Honda! They are truly lacking in customer service. It is obvious they have problems with parts supplier/manufaturing/testing process, but even beyond that now they will not own up to it. The best thing they could do is to go public themselves and make the move to resolve the issues appropriately. That would make me at least keep my car and look forward to future models...but, there are too many other cars out there today for us to look at!
Old 04-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

Note Acura/Honda's BBB rating near their HQ

Originally posted by garylee55
...I think we all need to stick together and start writing some letters...especially to investigative auto and consumer magazines.

There has to be a way to make it public...I am sure Acura would not appreciate the bad press...
I came upon this from the BBB of the Southland site (http://www.labbb.org/scripts/cgiip.e...ID=1&hAddrID=1)

"American Honda Motor Company Incorporated
who also does business under the name
Acura Automobile Customer Relations"

Bureau File Experience

Based on our standards, we rate this company as having an unsatisfactory business record. An unsatisfactory rating is given when a pattern in the company's customer complaints causes us concern, when the company does not respond to complaints, or when it will not substantiate its advertising claims.

Interesting, eh?

I do plan to write to the Honda president's address posted in the main thread. I just need to be nice and calm as I compose it. Also, Consumer Report March 2002 included a review of the TL-S and their April auto issue still speaks well of reliability. Hmmm.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:07 PM
10th Gear

Tranny Problem - 2002 TL-S - Bought in April 2001 - 20K miles

I've already posted on another thread but I will give you a quick summary of my experience:

VSA light came on during drive on freeway (3/31/02)
Check engine light lit up as well

Car started "jumping" harshly and sporatically from gear to gear (4/1/02)

Took car in to Acura dealership and was informed that transmission was bad and that it would take 5 weeks to replace(4/3/02)

Dealership gave me a Geo Metro from Enterprise rentals to drive around on (4/4/02) from which I threw a major fit. The rental car company tried to force me to buy their insurance for $9.00/day. Called Acura Customer Service and complained. Told me that it would be 1-3 business days to reply to the complaint (can you believe that!!!??)

They supplied me with another car (Jeep Cherokee) today and am content to drive that around. Still not completely happy but it's better than driving that Geo Metro around (4/5/02)

Question: Do you think that they will replace my transmission with another defective one? And also, what's the reason for including my VIN number in this post?

Toasted in California
Old 04-06-2002, 12:04 AM
Intermediate

Re: Tranny Problem - 2002 TL-S - Bought in April 2001 - 20K miles

Originally posted by toasted
Question: Do you think that they will replace my transmission with another defective one? And also, what's the reason for including my VIN number in this post?
Toasted in California
View the first post in this thread for the answer to why VIN.

It sounds like most are having their trannies replaced by "remanufactured" trannies rather than new. I finally got word today that my replacement tranny arrived at the dealer and was being installed. The tranny is remanufactured.

They've used the script with members that remanufactured trannies are made to current specs for "new" trannies. Sounds like garbage to me. My post a little back from here shares the responses Acura Cust Care gave me. They don't provide a clear picture that they've diagnosed the problem and corrected it in the replacement trannies. The failure of replacement trannies reported in this and other threads plus reports of tranny failures in some 2003s I interpret as evidence they have not.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:00 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: Tranny Problem - 2002 TL-S - Bought in April 2001 - 20K miles

Originally posted by Questor

It sounds like most are having their trannies replaced by "remanufactured" trannies rather than new. ...

They've used the script with members that remanufactured trannies are made to current specs for "new" trannies. Sounds like garbage to me. My post a little back from here shares the responses Acura Cust Care gave me. They don't provide a clear picture that they've diagnosed the problem and corrected it in the replacement trannies. The failure of replacement trannies reported in this and other threads plus reports of tranny failures in some 2003s I interpret as evidence they have not.
This is not good news. I feel like we're up the creek without a paddle and headed for a big ol' stinky pile.

Are we all just overreacting or what? How much do you think our cars are worth now?

Anyhow, will keep watching this thread to see what the heck's going on. Maybe one of us will find a satisfactory resolution.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:31 AM
Advanced

I think it will all work out soon enough afterall acura is not gonna lose their name all over a tranny do you?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:06 PM
8th Gear

The issue with Honda/Acura transmissions has been around for quite some time. You'd think a company that bases their value at least in part on outstanding reliability would have resolved the problem or at least addressed it with the customers in an open manor. I own two Acuras at the moment a 03' TL- TypeS and a 01' MDX. While I have not had any transmission problems yet, I've had enough finish and minor build quality problems to make me begin to rethink my faith in Acura.
Neil
Old 04-09-2002, 04:05 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs down Trany replaced at 11500

I've complained about my trany when it had 5k. At 11k it gave out, one month later its back at it. Acura said their is nothing they can do. please see my post in trany problems tl type-s forum and respond. please,please,plase,please.......

VIN1835

:wow:
Old 04-09-2002, 08:34 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
OK 2fast, You are #29............do we have #30????

:-jon
Old 04-09-2002, 09:20 PM
4th Gear

I just picked up my 2003 TL-S yesterday, and while on my way home, the VSA anf the engine light lite up. Anyways, I took my car back this morning and they told me that i need a new transmission. I was soooooooo pissed... the car is brand new with 5 miles on it. F***k....
Old 04-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mowmow
I just picked up my 2003 TL-S yesterday, and while on my way home, the VSA anf the engine light lite up. Anyways, I took my car back this morning and they told me that i need a new transmission. I was soooooooo pissed... the car is brand new with 5 miles on it. F***k....
NO WAY!!! You've got to be kidding!!

Looks like we have number 30, Jon.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Act fast !!!!!!!!!!!

If truly the tranny went on the way home from the dealer with under 5 miles, I'd immediately check purchase contract laws regarding if CA has a period of a few business days to void the sale contract. Get another car whether you're daring enough for another TL-S or not.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:31 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Originally posted by Mowmow

GET OUT!!!!

Yopu have got to be kidding! :wow:

Holy sh!t. I am stunned. Get a new car, right now.

That is bull.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

I bet you floored it, or maybe even did some brake torque and tried to race someone as soon as you left the gate of the dealership. Just kidding.

Or maybe your car had been previously test driven very hard by someone else?
Old 04-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Instructor

DAMN!!! 5 miles and transmission is dead?!?! They better give you an extended warranty, free headers and bodykit, and an NSX as a loaner!!!
This is the kind of crap that makes me worried more and more. How can Acura not address this problem?
Old 04-10-2002, 05:54 PM

OMG, 5 miles, that is NUTS!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:40 PM
9th Gear

:thefinger
WE cant let this people tell us that the problem is the way we drive or any upgrades done to the car. I reported my problem before I installed comptech headers and exaust.(K&N air filter).

If any of you here them say that that is the problem I sugest you call comptech and let them know of the claims that acura is making. I know they wont be happy to here that. and it will be one less thing they can blame on everyone else instead of taking responsibillity.

THEY MAKE ME :yack:
Old 04-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

why can a BMW be driven hard without problems?

why can a MB be driven hard without problems?

why did I drive my Pontiac Grand Prix GTP hard and did not have any problems?

why did I drive my Chrysler 300M hard and did not have any problems?

why is it now that my TL-S tranny broke, some people tell me that I drive it too hard?

this is what I bought this car for - to drive, not to sit in my garage and go boulevard cruising once in a while.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ruski

why is it now that my TL-S tranny broke, some people tell me that I drive it too hard?

this is what I bought this car for - to drive, not to sit in my garage and go boulevard cruising once in a while.
Man, don't listen to that b.s. I've been hearing that for the past 9 months since my first tranny went out. It has absolutely nothing to do with your driving habits. Like you, I've driven my TLS just like every other car I've owned and I never had any tranny problems with those in the 100s of 1000s of miles I put on those.

Drive your car the way you like and enjoy it. If the tranny goes, it goes. There's not much you can do about it.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Pro

Redlined...

I've joined your club! My 2nd tranny lasted 400 miles!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

:yack: NO WAY!!! :yack:
Too bad your call with the Acura Rep was yesterday!
I'm about at 400mi with my remanny tranny maybe I should post century mile updates.

Sorry to hear it.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Redlined...

Well we had better make room because I'm sure we won't be the last. Damn, that really sucks! For you, for me and for everyone who has had their tranny replaced. To me, it's a clear indication that Acura has not figured out or fixed the problem with the trannies.

Now I have no question I'll be the charter member of a new club -- The 4th Tranny Club. Unless of course you keep blowing yours every 400 miles!

Good luck. I think you should definitely pursue a lemon law case.
Old 04-13-2002, 01:10 AM
Instructor

Vin # 013943

Built 4/01, bought 5/01.

Tranny got replaced on 4/2/02 with about 13K miles. Rarely used sportshift and didn't drive the car excessively hard. And I'm hoping this next tranny dies, cause I want to get rid of the car.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:17 AM
Pro

i dont know if this counts....cuz my tranny is still drivable... but i got a wierd grinding sound coming from the front only when i accelerate so i took it to the dealer. called me later to pick it up...they said it was coming from the tranny so they ordered me a new tranny, its coming in next week. it didnt really fail on me...but hopefully i dont get a wacked as$ tranny. does this count?
Old 04-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by VeiLsTyleZ
i dont know if this counts....cuz my tranny is still drivable... but i got a wierd grinding sound coming from the front only when i accelerate so i took it to the dealer. called me later to pick it up...they said it was coming from the tranny so they ordered me a new tranny, its coming in next week. it didnt really fail on me...but hopefully i dont get a wacked as$ tranny. does this count?
In my opinion, that counts. If you need a new tranny, then your current tranny has failed.

My 2nd tranny made that same sort of noise. The noise eventually stopped but the car became increasingly difficult to drive. Once I stopped moving, it was very hard to getting going again. Welcome to the club.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:09 PM
Instructor

I have a feeling that I'm going to be the next tranny victim. My '02 black/black Type S (purchased in April 2001) has 13,600 miles on it. Just last week, I noticed that shifts were starting to happen a little harder than the nice smooth gear changes I had been used to.

This afternoon on the way home from work, the problem got worse - the damn thing is apparently slipping in 2nd & 3rd gear. As I'm driving along, my RPM's shoot way up as it apparently slips out of gear. I just took it to get some gas and to try and figure out exactly at what point the problem is occuring. It started slipping so bad that I thought I wouldn't make it back home! Also, my Check Engine light is now lit.

I called the dealer this afternoon, and he wants me to bring it in on Thursday morning, but it probably won't last that long. I'm going to the dealer early tomorrow instead.

I came back to this board after a long absence so that I could check to see if I was the only one having this problem. APPARENTLY NOT!!

I LOVE my Type S, so I hope they can fix my tranny quickly. Thanks for all the info on this problem. Now I know how the other 30+ people feel about it!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:15 AM
Pro

dude thats gotta suck..
man..im having my tranny replaced at 35k and its not because of slipping. its because of weird noise....i know im probably gonna get a rebuilt/remanufactured tranny but i hope i dont get a tranny thats even worst than mine... because aleast mine is still drivable. well my tranny came in...so im going tomorrow morning to drop off my car and picking it up later that evening. they said it would take only a day....man..im glad i dont have to wait 3 weeks for mine...like some of you did...which really sucks.
Old 04-17-2002, 06:27 AM
Pro

Originally posted by TL-SorMaxima

I LOVE my Type S, so I hope they can fix my tranny quickly. Thanks for all the info on this problem. Now I know how the other 30+ people feel about it!
I'm also in Atlanta. I had mine replaced last month...it took 23 days, and the re-manufactured tranny failed within one week. Who is your dealer?
Old 04-17-2002, 07:46 AM
Instructor

I'm also in Atlanta. I had mine replaced last month...it took 23 days, and the re-manufactured tranny failed within one week. Who is your dealer?

I bought the car and have had it serviced at Ed Voyles Acura on Peachtree Industrial. Which dealer were you working with?

I dropped the car off this morning. It was a very exciting ride on 285 this morning as the transmission kept slipping in and out of gear. My heart was pounding away as I finally made it into the dealership. That's the kind of fun I can do without! They're going to try the flush route first and see how it goes. If the test drive doesn't go well, they'll order a tranny for me. I'll post an update later on after they call me with the news.

One other thing for the tranny survey - the last 6 digits of my VIN are 002260.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:53 AM
Pro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TL-SorMaxima
[B]

I bought the car and have had it serviced at Ed Voyles Acura on Peachtree Industrial. Which dealer were you working with?

This was where I bought my car. They tried the same thing with the tranny flush. It worked for about the next 1k miles, then it started doing the same thing all over. This is what Acura recommends they do first.

Please email me at atlthinker@hotmail.com with your phone number and I will tell you of my experience, if you are interested...or I will reply to your email with my # so you can call me.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Add me to the list

My tranny just went out yesterday....

I will pass along all my info when I get a chance.
Any words of wisdom???

-Nick
Old 04-17-2002, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Call the Acura Customer service line in you owner's manual. Get as much as you can out of them -- extended warranty to 100000, pay your car payment while the car's in the shop, whatever. Really throw a fit but be polite. Since this is your first failure, you're not likely to get much more out of them. If your car isn't that old, say a couple of months with really low mileage, maybe you can get more.

Some have had luck getting the dealer to buy the car back. If you're really unhappy with the car and they can give you something reasonable for it, consider that. But I suspect if you're like most of us, you love your TLS and really don't want to get rid of it or get any other car.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2002, 02:49 PM
Instructor

OK, it's official. I'm number 32. Just got the call from the dealer, and my tranny is fried. They told me 2-3 weeks before they get it in, but I'm betting on a month. I'm going to get my piece of crap rental now. It's going to be a long month out of my Acura!
Old 04-17-2002, 03:05 PM
Racer

My car is making a distinct 'ticking' sound, and when I brought it to the dealer, they told me it was because it was cold out. Now it has been 85+ and it is still there and loud as ever! i was wondering if this has happened to anyone who's tranny went out? Thanks in advance, just wondering if I do have something to worry about. It has been there since I have had about 125 miles on the car and now have 1200 (It's a 2003).
Old 04-17-2002, 03:53 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Re: Add me to the list

Originally posted by NicksTLS
My tranny just went out yesterday....

I will pass along all my info when I get a chance.
Any words of wisdom???

-Nick

Only this. Prepare to get bashed by non-dead tranny folk, inferring that you drove your car like a wildman or beat your tranny. j/k

Really though, sorry to hear about this, and away we go...

NEXT?

:wow:
Old 04-18-2002, 03:39 AM
10th Gear

Question Upadate on my situation

Last 6 of VIN# 003179

My transmission gave out @ 21K miles and took them a week to fix it. I've had many conversations with Acura Customer Service and they are telling me that they fixed the problem and that my "new" transmission is made to recent factory specs.

The customer service rep extended my car warranty initially for another year or 12K miles. I whined about this a bit and he agreed to extend it another 21K. So altogether, I bought a car with a 6 year, 72K mile warranty.

I was quite pleased at this but after reading about the multiple transmission failures, I'm still concerned.

The rep was also assuring me that if there was a widespread problem, Acura would have recalled the cars by now. I'm always sceptical of such remarks but I was inclined to believe him.

Well, I'm at 21,079 miles and will keep you all updated on whether my transmission blows out again.

Toasted in California
TL Type-S bought in April 2001
Old 04-18-2002, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TL-SorMaxima
OK, it's official. I'm number 32...........I'm going to get my piece of crap rental now.
The rental Gods were with me! The dealer only pays Enterprise for a compact level car. I talked them into an upgrade, and I'm driving a 2002 Maxima SE - automatic, of course.

I'm definitely going to call Acura's 800 line with my complaints, and I'll speak with the dealership as well. Because I already purchased the Acura extended warranty, I wonder what I might be able to squeeze out of them if I try hard enough????
Old 04-18-2002, 08:27 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

I tried to get an extended warranty out of them, and they pretty much told me to stick it.

However, now that there are more of us, maybe you can hammer them.

Use this post as ammo, we are up to 33 cars. Too bad we don't have VIN numbers on all of them, but we have a majority of them.

Good Luck, and see what you can get them to admit to.

:-jon
Old 04-18-2002, 12:41 PM
Pro

hey oblio98
since you said mine counted here my vin# 047090
but mines a 2000 TL
hope this helps a little.

Quick Reply: TL-S Tranny Problem, VIN Number Check UPDATED