Switchblade Key Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:52 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Switchblade Key Conversion

I'm starring at my 03 key and wondering how to convert it into a switchblade type key....any suggestions?

Damn, y can't there be universal adapters for all keys!

Old 06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
I got 99 Problems

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i believe they have one, there is a company that sells the key blank and is used for maxima's i think three like $45.00 i will look and post links when i find it.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked about this once, and since we have the immobilizer chip in the plastic grip part of our key, I was told it wouldn't work. I'm sure you could "make" a switchblade style key by keeping the key intact and building something around it. It's one of those "maybe one" day projects I think about from time to time.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro

It's really weird how the accords have them and the TL 's don't...sheeesh...one of the dumbest things that the HONDA ACURA people have done....IT's like paying more for less....I guess they spent too much time putting together all the gadgets they did in the 04 TL and completely forgot about a simple key FOB....
Old 06-11-2004, 07:55 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Originally Posted by orcaatk
I asked about this once, and since we have the immobilizer chip in the plastic grip part of our key, I was told it wouldn't work. I'm sure you could "make" a switchblade style key by keeping the key intact and building something around it. It's one of those "maybe one" day projects I think about from time to time.

yes, this is what i was thinking about...but where to get spring release mechanisms!!! :shit:
Old 06-12-2004, 12:02 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by Malayalee King
I'm starring at my 03 key and wondering how to convert it into a switchblade type key....any suggestions?

if yo ucan figure this one out, i think there will be ALOT of happy tl'ers
Old 06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
4th Gear

i have a butterfly knife key for my Acura EL.

i bought it at a performance shop for 20CAD
Old 06-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Racer

Well i don't need to worry about the chip, cuz i got remote start... which basically killed my immobilizer, so i'm wondering if there's a blank one that i get... or i just get the butterfly knive style one...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:43 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Originally Posted by TLSAnthracite
Well i don't need to worry about the chip, cuz i got remote start... which basically killed my immobilizer, so i'm wondering if there's a blank one that i get... or i just get the butterfly knive style one...
yeah, i got RS too but you still need the key to drive the car....butterfly knife?? i must see pix....
Old 06-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Boom goes the Dynamite

Originally Posted by TLSAnthracite

Your remote start didn't kill your immobilizer. It duplicates the code the key has when you remote start. The immobilizer is embedded into your cars ECM and can't be killed.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Dezi...

What is the website you bought it at?
Old 06-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

i jus searched ebay and sure enough

switchblade key

BUT be4 yall get excited. it only works on older models be4 the chip was put into the key, so although completly useless for most of us maybe it.ll spark a idea for sum1!?
Old 06-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Your remote start didn't kill your immobilizer. It duplicates the code the key has when you remote start. The immobilizer is embedded into your cars ECM and can't be killed.

Bypass
Old 06-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Originally Posted by DEZI_TL
i have a butterfly knife key for my Acura EL.

i bought it at a performance shop for 20CAD

Where in T.O. did you get it done.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Burning Brakes

yes, this is what i was thinking about...but where to get spring release mechanisms!!! :shit:
I don't think it would be too hard to do. I'd need to take a look at how they do it on the switchblade fobs. Since they're small, my guess is that they either use a tiny torsion bar style mechanism or a spring that is attached to the back of the key, behind the pivot point, opposite the cut part of the key. Making the key spring open would be a simple push release like you see on pocketknives. I would think the hard part would be making a housing. Unless someone is really good at fiberglass or metal work (wood would be too soft for be on a key ring, and it'd probably look out of place). Another option would be if there’s a housing that’s in use for some other car that could be cutup and reused. Preferably, one that is small without buttons or one that has buttons in a similar arrangement as our fobs (lock on top, unlock middle left, trunk middle right, panic far bottom). I’ve converted my 00 fob to an 02-03 fob, and I’d be willing to mess with a switchblade fob if someone can locate one.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:22 AM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Originally Posted by orcaatk
I don't think it would be too hard to do. I'd need to take a look at how they do it on the switchblade fobs. Since they're small, my guess is that they either use a tiny torsion bar style mechanism or a spring that is attached to the back of the key, behind the pivot point, opposite the cut part of the key. Making the key spring open would be a simple push release like you see on pocketknives. I would think the hard part would be making a housing. Unless someone is really good at fiberglass or metal work (wood would be too soft for be on a key ring, and it'd probably look out of place). Another option would be if there’s a housing that’s in use for some other car that could be cutup and reused. Preferably, one that is small without buttons or one that has buttons in a similar arrangement as our fobs (lock on top, unlock middle left, trunk middle right, panic far bottom). I’ve converted my 00 fob to an 02-03 fob, and I’d be willing to mess with a switchblade fob if someone can locate one.
Yeah, i think I can bondo and plastickote some sort of housing...i will post schematics soon, i'm looking for a simple and adapter as possible and I think some ppl arent picturing what i am heh :P

tpatel, yeah i saw those switchblade things on ebay too but none of them work with our digi chip keys...i want to know who made those and see if we could get some sort of custom housing built for ours....

btw, to all, i'm real hesitant to crack open my key to see where this digi chip really is because who knows, maybe the ones on ebay would work as long as the contacts to the chip and key were still intact.

eh, maybe i'll go buy a blank on ebay or something.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, I had some free time today, and figured out a way to put a switchblade key with fob together, but am not so happy with the size. Malayalee King is also working on a design, so this isn't the end-all-be-all for a possible switchblade keys. I need your opinions on whether or not the following dimensions are too big for a switchblade design.

(Sizes in inches)
Length: 3 5/8 (a little longer than the length of the entire key)
Width: 1 1/2 (a little wider than the width of the entire key)
Depth: 1 (about double the thickness of the fob)

This design would retain the immobilizer chip, and works with both types of second-generation fobs. For an example of what it'll look like, picture looking at your fob - bloated, face up, lock button on top (how you'd usually hold the fob) in your right hand. The button to release the key would be on the back of the switchblade fob, about where your index finger touches the back of your current fob. The key would swing out, moving clockwise, and stop/lock pointing straight out the top of the switchblade fob - with the key's Acura emblem showing. Push the button again to unlock the key, and the key can manually be slid back into the switchblade fob and locked. You would also still be able to open the integrated fob (the one we all have now) and swap batteries and you could also take the switchblade fob apart to change out the key with any second-generation TL key (although, I don't know what you'd really need to do that).

Any feedback on this design? I dunno whether to pursue this plan and build it, or to keep working on getting the size down. Thanks all!
Old 06-15-2004, 02:32 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

hey guys has anyone tried this??

- Go to a regular key cutting store and get them to cut you a replica of your acura key.
- Then put that key on your key ring WITH your origional acura key
- Try the cut ket in the ignition
- If the engine searches for the chip, and finds it with in vacinity of the ignition, BINGO the car turns on.. (don't know if this works)

- was going to use this idea and cut off the metal part of the key, inserted it into the ignition semi-permantly.
- Install a push button ignition
- And IF, BIG IF, the car recognizes the chip in the "A" part of the key (which has had the "teeth" cut off, and now looks like an Acura key chain) around the steering colum, maybe we would be able to set up something like the SL500 has. As long as the key is in the car, the pushbutton wil activate the car. The key looks exactly like a credit card but a little bit thicker.

If the car is able to recognise the chip, while it is in the "acura key chain form", you could be able to cut the pattern into a switchblade key and keep either, your current key on the keyring as well, or you could cut eh teeth off the origional key and make it look like an "acura key chain" meanwhile it actually holds the activation chip for the car.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:15 PM
im the best

what is the 'range' of the chip i wonder? anyone know?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:31 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

that's what I want to know. the only way I can think would be to cut another key without a chip and try it.

we might have problems if the chip is connected to the "teeth" part of the key and "grounds itself" or connects through the metal connection in the key. so the ignition would double as a place to plug in the chip. maybe it isn't the vacinity of the ignition?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:04 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

The chip has a range? I think it is read through the ignition....anyone dated cut their 2k3 key open before i did lol
Old 06-22-2004, 11:45 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

I love that volvo switchblade key!
I wish we could put the ACURA fob and key chip inside that fob.
The size and shape are really confortable in your hands... I rented a Volvo and it came with that key... the best part of the car. IMHO
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wish this could be done i dont see why it cant be.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered TL Driver

Let me know when you find out!
Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm a thrill seeker in my

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Way to revive a 7 year old thread haha. As far as I know there's no real feasible way to do this. It's a damn shame, but that's the way it is.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

the 3G guys do it. i think its possible, i just never got around to doing it since i got the remote start lol
Old 08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear

So my dumbass bought a 2004 TL switchblade key for like 70 bucks,
I have a 2000 TL3.2, I figured, hey, its honda, they aren't smart enough to change codes, but now I can't decide weather or not this will work on my car, does anyone know?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
no, it wont.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but I was able to make my own switchblade. Posted a DIY in a new thread for anyone still interested:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-p.../#post16224712