Swapping dvd nav drive in 03 TL for dvd nav drive in an 03 MDX-Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swapping dvd nav drive in 03 TL for dvd nav drive in an 03 MDX-Possible?

The nav unit in my 03 TL is starting to crap out on me-freezes and reboots; when it used to give me directions from my driveway all the way to my location now it just says "off route;" if I was on a road and it thought I was a few feet over, it eventually would put itself on the right track, now it goes "off route" and stays like that until I punch in the destination again. I am using the most current navigation DVD and it worked for several months.

Worse case scenario for me is replacing the dvd unit with another. Since it would be $$$,$$$.00 to put in an aftermarket Pioneer in the same location as the current screen, I was thinking maybe go with a DVD unit from an MDX, if possible.
I know the dvd units are different and I think the screens are as well.

I am not going to replace the stereo and put in a nav unit there. There is nothing wrong with the radio and I will then have this big blank screen like an unblinking dead eye.

Any thoughts or experiences or either doing the swap or have knowledge of the problem I am facing?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can (without a lot of work), because not only are the screens different, but in my wife's '03 MDX it has voice recognition which comes with a "back"button on the side of the steering wheel. So you can't operate it without that button. (Similar to the cancel on the TL'S). But anything is possible with enough elbow grease!