Lighting system gone bonkers!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry Lighting system gone bonkers!

Alright guys, so I have a 03 TL-S and my lights seem to be on crack or something. A couple months ago I blacked out my housings and installed ccfl rings. Everything was okay until my driver side headlight had a leak. I never got around to resealing the case and the driver side HID went out , im guessing from the moisture, but thats not the problem.

A couple days ago I noticed that when I turn my lights on, my bright lights come on too, but not fully, its only lighting up half way, sometimes it flickers on and off quickly. If I switch to my brights, only the passenger side comes on fully, and the driver side goes dead, but remeber, the driver side bright light is indeed working. On top of that, my fogs come on nd off randomly.

I was guessing it is the moisture in the headlight causing the system to go bananas, but someone told me it may be the ccfl rings I installed because its shorting the system or something like that. Any input guys?
Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
What exactly did you add to the vehicle's wiring, and how (schematic needed)? Hard to say without some details.

What happens if you disconnect one HID, then the other (reconn. the 1st one to narrow the issue)? Does everthing else work normally? You need to isolate the problem.
The following users liked this post:
the-G-ride (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the-G-ride
Alright guys, so I have a 03 TL-S and my lights seem to be on crack or something. A couple months ago I blacked out my housings and installed ccfl rings. Everything was okay until my driver side headlight had a leak. I never got around to resealing the case and the driver side HID went out , im guessing from the moisture, but thats not the problem.

A couple days ago I noticed that when I turn my lights on, my bright lights come on too, but not fully, its only lighting up half way, sometimes it flickers on and off quickly. If I switch to my brights, only the passenger side comes on fully, and the driver side goes dead, but remeber, the driver side bright light is indeed working. On top of that, my fogs come on nd off randomly.
Alright, So the SAME EXACT SCENARIO happened to me. And I could not find any answers here! So my passenger side went out (It was the ballast) and after it went out my highs would come on at half power as you said then when I would turn on my highs only ONE would turn on fully. The reason you fogs come on sometimes is because you cannot run highs with fogs at the same time. So you car is currently thinking that the Highs are on, even though they are not which does not allow you to use your fogs.

It was driving me INSANE!! Even Acura dealership was confused as to why and told me to try changing the ballasts to see if it would work.

And that was EXACTLY it. I ditched the OEM ballasts and ignitors because I figured they'd only go bad again and picked up a CANBUS D2S Hid Kit from HIDeXtra. I took out the old ballasts and ignitors, connected the new ballasts and ignitors with the supplied harness and VVOOLLLA! FIXED! My highs would no longer come on unless I switched to highs and my fogs worked normally again.

On the side note, while I did this whole fix I also did the Fog Light Mod v2 allowing you to run your fogs at all times with out having to turn on your parking lights or driving lights and i did the mod that allows you to use you fogs and highs at the same time. That way you can use all 6 lights when it is needed.

So, RESEAL your housing and ditch the OEM ballasts. It'll fix your problem!

And I would recommend using TRS glue to seal them back up. This is what I am using to reseal my housings this weekend after I complete my projector retro fit! You should do it too since you're opening them back up! lol

Heres a link to that glue, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=792

Let me know if that works out for you!
The following users liked this post:
the-G-ride (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Advanced

^ you my friend are a life saver!! I thought no one was going to know what I was talking about, but thankfully you had the same exact problem and better yet, you have a solution.

I'll try this weekend to reseal the headlight and I'll order a HID kit before the pass side goes too. When I sealed the headlight the first time, I used the same OEM silicone that was originally on there, but I think I was a little too stingy on applying the silicone, hence the leak.

Oh and thanks for pointing out the fog light problem, because it was coming on and off, I was fearing it was a wiring problem, which i'm not that good at doing lol.

Which HID system would you rather, the Canbus from HIDextra or the Morimoto one from theretrofitsource? I'm just asking cauz there both $160 and I would think the Morimoto one is of better quality, not sure though.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by totaledTL
What exactly did you add to the vehicle's wiring, and how (schematic needed)? Hard to say without some details.
The only thing I added was a set of angel eyes, but I didn't do any splicing. I just plugged the wires for the angel eyes into the harness for the parking lights, so they work when the parking lights are on.

I thought that the angel eyes might be shorting the system or something.

I'll try what sl33k suggested and see if it works, thanks for the input.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Instructor

I know, I searched FOREVER on here and google for these sympotoms and no one seemed to describe the problem like the one we had. Since you're doing it this weekend ORDER TODAY!

Alright so DDM, HIDeXtra, Kensun, Morimoto, OEM Acura, 1320 Performance, and Denso, I have worked with all those hid companies and I would recommend Morimot. I actually have the canbus ballast because of hidextra's "Mess-up". I actually just ordered their normal ballasts with relay and I had two go out with in 2 weeks of installing them. Since each went out at different time and I have to remove the bumper every time to access my ballasts I sent HIDeXtra a long email with detailed photos explain the hassle and inconvenience this is. I requested they replace them with their canbus system and I could they are "better built" than their "premium" ballasts.

Whoever you go with you WILL need to tap into your OEM harness, using method of our choice. I used T taps on the oem harness and male butt connectors on the wire leading to the Input on the harness. So butt connectors into t taps and provides an insulated connection.

One reason I really am in favor of Morimoto is because the insulation they use on their ignitor wire. I perfect the direct connection to the ballast and instead of the amp connectors.

Both hidextra and TRS ship VERY quickly. Received both products two days after ordering. And OH YES! Please do order the OCI Butyl Rubber Glue to reseal your housings. You'll be GLAD you did! Very good stuff. I am in the process of my current retro fit and I will be using shrouds and this glue. Check out my progress http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...Thread.-PICS!/

OCI Butyl Rubber Glue
Old 01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
ballast is the problem area....

my HID went out due to the moisture and the ballast was to blame....

replace ur ballast and you will be GOLDEN!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Go with Morimoto. My HID canbus ballast went out AGAIN last night while doing final adjustments. HIDeXtra WILL be replacing it, but this has just become a HASSLE!