Could this be a wheel bearing or a bad axle??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Could this be a wheel bearing or a bad axle??

Ok well I have some noise/ slash vibration coming from my front end. Usually if Im going around 40mph and am sitting in the passenger I can feel the vibration at my feet almost feels like a wobble. Today I was almost able to feel it at all speeds. When I turn Left it seems to go away, but when I turn right it almost feels worse. My instincts are telling me that its a bad inner cv joint but I am not sure. I got the car on jackstands today put it in drinve and had my brother hit the gas while I crawled underneath. I told him to do it lightly but he is a dumb*** and hit it hard. Unfornutaley i made the mistake of forgetting to turn off the TCS so my test was invalid, and I didnt feel like taking the chance of my brother doing the same thing and revving the crap out of it again. Well I guess my question is do you guys think it is my axle that is bad or could it be a wheel bearing? Also do you think my car was hurt at all by my brother reving it hard? Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,628 Likes on 1,768 Posts
It could be either or. Did you look at the axle boot? Was it ripped? Have you made sure your lugs aren't loose? Sounds more like the hub/bearing from what your describing.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Instructor

Well 4 months, 2 axles, 2 lower ball joints, and 1 bearing I have finally fixed my problem which turned out to be my driverside front wheel bearing all along.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jra8858
Well 4 months, 2 axles, 2 lower ball joints, and 1 bearing I have finally fixed my problem which turned out to be my driverside front wheel bearing all along.

Good to know
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
glad you fixed your problem OP, if I had seen the post when you originally told you I wouldve suggested the wheel bearing, ps a good way of testing it is putting the car up and yanking at the wheel that you think is bad, if there is ANY play that is a good indicator that a wheel bearing is bad.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, basically a simple check.....Safely support the car's front end so that the tire is just off the ground, then grab the tire at the top and bottom and attempt to move the assembly in and out.
Any play at all or slight rocking will indicate a worn wheel bearing.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Yeah, basically a simple check.....Safely support the car's front end so that the tire is just off the ground, then grab the tire at the top and bottom and attempt to move the assembly in and out.
Any play at all or slight rocking will indicate a worn wheel bearing.
For some reason in my case, I performed this test but there was no play/rocking.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:17 PM
J-series addict

Received 614 Likes on 464 Posts
For some reason in my case, I performed this test but there was no play/rocking.
As with mine also. ^^^

I too had the exact same issue and other people kept telling me to replace this and that but I don't replace things without knowing they are bad...atleast now anyways. I was installing some drilled/slotted rotors one day and decided to visually inspect my wheel bearings on both sides to ensure they were full of grease. I really wasn't even going after the shuttering problem at all. Anyhow, I noticed my drivers side wheel bearing race was very low on grease but all the bearings looked okay. Not wanting to chance anything with any of my kids in the car, I swapped the bearings/race and didn't realize it until 15min into the ride home that it had solve that issue, lmao! Funny thing was that the shudder was coming from my passenger side (or so I thought).
Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yungone501
Funny thing was that the shudder was coming from my passenger side (or so I thought).
Same here I thought all along that my problem was coming from my passenger side, but turned out to be the driverside bearing that was the culprit.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Bonki' Ehrite!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
We have a front wheel drive independent suspension with cv joints that require a spindle nut torqued to 181 foot pounds...That keep the bearings pretty tight and not much room to wiggle in and out. In our case this test does not prove a whole lot, bearings need to be visually inspected.

You can still however do a "wiggle test" side to side to check tie rods condition.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
As with mine also. ^^^

I too had the exact same issue and other people kept telling me to replace this and that but I don't replace things without knowing they are bad...atleast now anyways. I was installing some drilled/slotted rotors one day and decided to visually inspect my wheel bearings on both sides to ensure they were full of grease. I really wasn't even going after the shuttering problem at all. Anyhow, I noticed my drivers side wheel bearing race was very low on grease but all the bearings looked okay. Not wanting to chance anything with any of my kids in the car, I swapped the bearings/race and didn't realize it until 15min into the ride home that it had solve that issue, lmao! Funny thing was that the shudder was coming from my passenger side (or so I thought).
How does one check bearing grease? They are sealed units and can't be seen unless you take the knuckle out.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Iggy
How does one check bearing grease? They are sealed units and can't be seen unless you take the knuckle out.
On the TL you cant. They are a sealed unit pressed into the knuckle/hub
Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 193 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
On the TL you cant. They are a sealed unit pressed into the knuckle/hub
Oh i know, I have replaced mine. I see yungone501 somehow did it, is the '03 different?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
I play a Safe bet with Front Bearings!
Easy test! Do the same as 3.2TLc said but instead of just moving it with your hand place the other Wheel in the ground and Start the Engine! Even on Park the Wheel will move! Listen for grinding Sounds coming from the Hub! I have tested this way before several Cars and they all come out positive... If it sounds like something is Loose or the Wheel moves too much while spinning = Bearing Busted.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. My passenger side front wheel bearing went out. All sorts if scrapping noises and an annoying clicking sound. I replaced the passenger side axle with a new one from NAPA. Now I'm working on replacing the passenger wheel bearing. I don't have the time to fix it on my own so I gave it to this mechanic I know and he took everything apart tonight and found out that the hub is also bad. So I need one of those installed also.

*sighs*
Old 05-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
UPDATE: I found out it was indeed my front wheel bearings and front hub assemblies that were bad. So I got those replaced also and the noise is certainly gone!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Man, ya must of ran that old girl a bit past normal limits !.
Front wheel bearing wear is usually hard to detect, but at least ya got them replaced.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awh man

As with mine also. ^^^

so i just replaced my passenger side due to the shutter sound cause i thought it was that side but now i know to replace the driver side thank you !