Bought a 99 TL...Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Bought a 99 TL...Need Some Help

Hey all,

I just bought a 99 TL from my brother as he got himself a new SUV. Here are some questions:

a. The owner's manual states 91 octane or higher gasoline. Has anyone ever used 87 or 89 and any issues at all?

b. I've been unsuccessful to train the HomeLink buttons to learn my garage door opener codes. Followed both the vehicle's manual and the opener's instructions but the HomeLink doesn't seem to pick up the codes. Any suggestions?

c. What's a good online source to buy factory parts? Also, a FSM will be quite handy. Where can I get one, either hardcopy or on CD?

Any response is appreciated.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a. A frequent topic so a Search will have you reading for days. Short answer: Yes, people have tried it, worse performance and worse gas mileage.

b. Can't help you since I don't use it.

c. Ray Laks Acura is one good source. Manuals are available at helminc.com.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SpencerD
Hey all,

I just bought a 99 TL from my brother as he got himself a new SUV. Here are some questions:

a. The owner's manual states 91 octane or higher gasoline. Has anyone ever used 87 or 89 and any issues at all?

b. I've been unsuccessful to train the HomeLink buttons to learn my garage door opener codes. Followed both the vehicle's manual and the opener's instructions but the HomeLink doesn't seem to pick up the codes. Any suggestions?

c. What's a good online source to buy factory parts? Also, a FSM will be quite handy. Where can I get one, either hardcopy or on CD?

Any response is appreciated.
First off, welcome! This is the place to learn all about your TL!

Now, to your questions:

a. There's no concensus on the octane requirements. Many, if not most forum members run only 91 Octane (or higher) but others report that they runs 87 and 89 octane without any problems. The owner's manual does warn that "engine damage can result" from running lower octane gas. That's a more emphatic warning that the typical "you might see reduced performance" warning.

I just bought a 1999 TL and, so far, I'm only using 91 octane.

Do a search for "octane" and you'll find a ton of posts about this.

b. No idea. But try searching the forum for "homelink". I've seen posts about this.

c. The official factory manual is published by Helm:

http://helm.com/

You can sometimes find used copies for less on ebay or in the Black Market forum. I bought mine through the Black Market forum. I'm not sure if there are CD versions available.

Bob