99TL Water Leaks!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 99TL Water Leaks!!

Guy-
I have a 99TL and it when it rained alot today and I noticed that there is alot of water on the footwell on the passenger side floor on and underneath the mat. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem and any ideas on what would cause this and how to resolve it?
The following users liked this post:
Mikki LaCombe (05-26-2020)
Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i would say there is a clogged drain plug. or water is some how getting in from where the cabin hvac takes air in
Old 08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Still sluggin' it out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never. Did you recently get the windshield replaced? any other windows? If not, I would take it to the dealership if I was you.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
i would say there is a clogged drain plug. or water is some how getting in from where the cabin hvac takes air in
But this only happens when it rains........ Otherwise it doesnt happen.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by y2kardell
But this only happens when it rains........ Otherwise it doesnt happen.
Huh?

When else would you expect to see water in your footwell?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikePA
Huh?

When you run your air-conditioning non-stop for a few years while parked in a drained swimming pool
Old 08-24-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikePA
Huh?

Ahhhhhhh hello...... I have seen it happen if your A/C line could possibly be clogged up. That was not a dumb question dude! Im being serious here if you are not helping the cause then dont say anything at all!!!!! This is serious!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:51 PM
Thread Police Chief

Ahhhhhhh hello...... I have seen it happen if your A/C line could possibly be clogged up. That was not a dumb question dude! Im being serious here if you are not helping the cause then dont say anything at all!!!!! This is serious!
Woah calm it down. People are helping and you've been given a few scenarios already. If people want to ask a question or crack a joke then thats perfectly acceptable, thats how forums work, get used to it

On a side note... Dry up as much water as possible and tape down some trashbags along the footwell. Sit in your car and have a friend or somebody spray your car down really heavy with a waterhose, especially over all seals. Maybe you'll spot something
Old 08-24-2006, 11:13 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Originally Posted by adamlee05
Dry up as much water as possible and tape down some trashbags along the footwell. Sit in your car and have a friend or somebody spray your car down really heavy with a waterhose, especially over all seals. Maybe you'll spot something
100% that sounds like the best way to find out.

btw, how many times did this happen? ur ur window might not be closing right.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:59 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahhhhh hello, calm down dude! Your first message tied this problem to the fact that it just rained. If it was the AC drain line (not simply an AC line), it could have occurred when it wasn't raining. Geez. Oh, no need to send me a PM with your overreaction, too.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 AM
Pro

I had the same exact problem but on the rear driver side footwell, but I also had water in my trunk, do you have any water in your trunk? I have aftermarket lights so what I did was seal all around the light to prevent any water from getting into the trunk and ever since then I don't get anymore water in the footwell. Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Racer

Water in front passenger side = there is a clogged or unplug drain plug from the sunroof
Water in rear passenger or driver = aftermarket lights not sealing proprely ..................
Old 08-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acurabum
Water in front passenger side = there is a clogged or unplug drain plug from the sunroof
Water in rear passenger or driver = aftermarket lights not sealing proprely ..................
Dude you sound like you have experienced this before. So you think it is from a clogged or drained plug from the sunroof. How sure of this are you?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Advanced

Thanks to all that have contributed with HELPFUL solutions!!!! It is much appreciated.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Racer

After a rainy day my accord 02 has water all over the front passenger side .....
bring it to the dealership and they say is the drained plug from the sunroof
somehow it has been unplug ?????
Water in the rear = heard that from other member here....................................
Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Advanced

After a rainy day my accord 02 has water all over the front passenger side .....
Water in the rear = heard that from other member here....................................
Thanks acurabum, I will have to take mine to a dealer I guess and have this checked out.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

Someone a lilttle tender?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by special e. dition
Someone a lilttle tender?
Dont start none wont be none!
Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

I had this problem. I had water on my whole passenger side. and i think i little in my drunk. they said there was a clog behind the dash board. and they had to remove it to unclog it.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

I had this problem. I had water on my whole passenger side. and i think i little in my trunk. they said there was a clog behind the dash board. and they had to remove it to unclog it.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sittinlow
I had this problem. I had water on my whole passenger side. and i think i little in my trunk. they said there was a clog behind the dash board. and they had to remove it to unclog it.
thanks for the insight, about how much did it cost you to repair this problem?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Thread Police Chief

Dont start none wont be none!
I think he lost the drain plug in his , he's sure acting like one
If you're going to put down that you're 31, at least try to act 31.

Oh and why dont you try one of these solutions and see if it actually helps
Old 08-25-2006, 04:00 PM
Advanced

I think he lost the drain plug in his , he's sure acting like one
If you're going to put down that you're 31, at least try to act 31.

Oh and why dont you try one of these solutions and see if it actually helps
Look loser stop acting like a baby if you didnt stick your nose where it didnt belong then you wouldnt be takin the heat for someone else. Ohh by the way I am alot more mature than you will ever be. Maybe YOU should try to grow up and start respecting your elders. Or maybe you havent been taught that. If you had submitted a legitimate answer like the rest of these folks then you wouldnt have an bulleye on your back. So just drop this conversation cause you know you are the one that is wrong. For some one to be 20 years old you think they would act their 20 and not like they are a bratty little 5 year old. Besides I bet thats your parents TL and not yours anyway so stop frontin on here claimin that you have one and really dont. Stupid jerk!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation possible sunroof drainage tube?

i had my 98 honda accord recently get a new windshield. it then rained alot and i didn't drive the car for a few days. when i got in there was water all over the front footwell, carpeting was soaked, mats, all the way to the floor pan. it was a major pain because i coudn't find the leak, i had to cut the carpeting out because it was on the verge of getting rank. the insurance company had it inspected and said it was not the windshield. they air tested and water tested. the water was dripping from above and down. they couldn't find the leak. i discovered that the sunroof drainage tube is a piece of 1/4" aquarium tubing that runs down into the cockpit and connects to a plastic pvc elbow which leads out the firewall for drainage! stupidest thing i eversaw, because the tube got knocked loose from the drainage pvc ( imho during the windshield install ) the car never leaked before they installed the windshield! my word against theirs, so it was leaking directly into the car! now this tube is located way up in the left handside above where the dead pedal would be in my honda. i have not looked in the 99 tl to see if they did the same thing, but if the design is the same, you might want to check it out? first see if that tube and elbow are there? if so see if they are connected. if not take your hose and run it over the top of the car carfully from the back to the front over the sunroof , let the nozzle lay at the top of the windshield, turn on the water, and get up under the dash with a flash light and look for water entering from the tube just to be sure, ( if the tube is out/ hanging, just put it back in the hole of the pvc elbow. you can also do a light test. have someone shine a bright light down the front of the car windshield along the firewall, and calvent panel where the wipers sit while you lay under the dash to see if light is getting in from an opening, and you might find it that way? you're gonna have to get up in there, close quarters. good luck!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kman156
i had my 98 honda accord recently get a new windshield. it then rained alot and i didn't drive the car for a few days. when i got in there was water all over the front footwell, carpeting was soaked, mats, all the way to the floor pan. it was a major pain because i coudn't find the leak, i had to cut the carpeting out because it was on the verge of getting rank. the insurance company had it inspected and said it was not the windshield. they air tested and water tested. the water was dripping from above and down. they couldn't find the leak. i discovered that the sunroof drainage tube is a piece of 1/4" aquarium tubing that runs down into the cockpit and connects to a plastic pvc elbow which leads out the firewall for drainage! stupidest thing i eversaw, because the tube got knocked loose from the drainage pvc ( imho during the windshield install ) the car never leaked before they installed the windshield! my word against theirs, so it was leaking directly into the car! now this tube is located way up in the left handside above where the dead pedal would be in my honda. i have not looked in the 99 tl to see if they did the same thing, but if the design is the same, you might want to check it out? first see if that tube and elbow are there? if so see if they are connected. if not take your hose and run it over the top of the car carfully from the back to the front over the sunroof , let the nozzle lay at the top of the windshield, turn on the water, and get up under the dash with a flash light and look for water entering from the tube just to be sure, ( if the tube is out/ hanging, just put it back in the hole of the pvc elbow. you can also do a light test. have someone shine a bright light down the front of the car windshield along the firewall, and calvent panel where the wipers sit while you lay under the dash to see if light is getting in from an opening, and you might find it that way? you're gonna have to get up in there, close quarters. good luck!
Thanks dude, this really makes me think that it is a sunroof drain tubing. This was really helpful and again thanks for the input.

God Bless..................
Old 08-25-2006, 10:51 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say it is your AC plug backed up under the car. Same thing happened to my Honda Accord and basically took it to the dealer, they knew right away what to do. There is a small hard plastic/rubber type tube that drains the water from the condensor. They got the air hose and quickly sprayed air into the tube. Within about 3 seconds, a sh|t load of water came pouring out, including the bugs that were stopping it up. Took care of the problem. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Thread Police Chief

Look loser stop acting like a baby if you didnt stick your nose where it didnt belong then you wouldnt be takin the heat for someone else. Ohh by the way I am alot more mature than you will ever be. Maybe YOU should try to grow up and start respecting your elders. Or maybe you havent been taught that. If you had submitted a legitimate answer like the rest of these folks then you wouldnt have an bulleye on your back. So just drop this conversation cause you know you are the one that is wrong. For some one to be 20 years old you think they would act their 20 and not like they are a bratty little 5 year old. Besides I bet thats your parents TL and not yours anyway so stop frontin on here claimin that you have one and really dont. Stupid jerk!
Wow...THAT is mature. And for the record, I did "submit a legitimate answer". A "bulleye" on my back? K...

Oh, and heres a shot of the title to "my parents" car.

Btw, stop PM'ing me.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:07 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Time to lock the thread...gettin outta hand...I think there have been several options presented for the problem for the poster to investigate.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Thread Police Chief

. And any update on the problem? Have you tried any of the solutions given or taken the car to the dealer? Always nice to find out what the source of the problem really was
Old 08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Advanced

. And any update on the problem? Have you tried any of the solutions given or taken the car to the dealer? Always nice to find out what the source of the problem really was
No, its the weekend I may take it this comming week, btw thanks for the concern and just for the record, I never had a problem with ya, you just casted the first stone and I had to get your attention to say you have to be careful sometimes homie..
Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Drifting

y2k- slow your roll man its going to be ok

I had this same issue in my old lexus SC and it was a clogged drain plug/hose. If all of your windows are fine that is the first thing i would check
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have an 02 Accord as well, discovered water in the trunk. Initially thought that the water was getting in the trunk somehow due to bad weatherseals. Brought the car to the dealer (they've had the car for 2 days now) and they've diagnosed the leak as coming in from the sunroof tubing. They said that it was improperly installed and the water's been draining into the cabin/trunk.

I guess I never discovered this problem til now because the car has always been garaged. Now it has to sit outside and is exposed to the elements. Who would have thought that it was faulty workmanship.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2000 acura tl and I'm having problems with water in the drivers side floor when It rain hard. As I look over the responces,I'll try the drain plug that's in the sun roof. Please post the solution if I can't determind that its my drain plug.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM
uʍop ǝpısdn ǝdʎʇ uɐɔ ı

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i had some water come out of the front center vent on full ac... can someone point me to the ac drain?