Notices

02 TL-S 6 Speed Swap

Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 TL-S 6 Speed Swap

I did it you guys!
I'm going to apologize ahead of time because I kinda hacked it together.
I used the 03 CL-S engine, transmission, ECU and engine wire harness. The rest of the wires I just kind of cut up and connected them to where I thought they should go by comparing the FSMs.
Most of it went surprisingly smoothly with the exception of several things.
1.) I had to run 2 separate wires(+5V sensor power, and sensor ground) from the manual ECU to the FTP(Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor).
2.) I ran a wire from the Ignition Switch directly to the starter solenoid.
3.) I ran a wire from the Reverse Light Switch(on the transmission) to the Driver's Under Dash Fusebox.
The car passed emissions and is currently my daily driver with no codes.
I do have several problems that I would appreciate input on.
1.) The IMRC does not work even when a known good actuator was swapped over.
2.) Memory seats do not work ( My guess is the car needs to "think" that it's in Park for that function to work but I haven't figured out how to do that).
3.) I did absolutely nothing about reverse lockout, so I can just move the stick into reverse while driving forward.
3.a) The above is a problem because there is a lot of side to side play in the shifter. I 3D printed a bushing to fix the looseness of the forward and backward play but I wanna know if buying a Revotechnica short shifter kit would eliminate the problem or what other options I have.
4.) The auto cruise control box isn't even there.
So it runs and drives but needs a bunch of stuff and things.
Let me know what you guys think!

Daily driver is an upgrade from a 94 Nissan Altima XE(5 Speed Manual).
Old 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess manual swaps aren't cool anymore...
Old 12-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 451 Likes on 370 Posts
Glad you got it running!

You kind of brute forced the wiring, which I'm not a fan of. In my swap, I replicated the wiring to match the OEM setup as much as possible. This was largely done through the "gear range selector" if I'm remembering correctly. I wired the reverse signal straight to the reverse input on that connector, the park signal for the starter was wired to the clutch, and I think the neutral/park was wired to the handbrake. The fuel tank sensor didn't require running separate wire, as the connectors just used different pins. I just had to repin it, and match them up so they worked like OEM. Either way, it sounds like you got most of the stuff to work. Obviously cruise isn't going to work if you don't even have a cruise control box. For your other questions:

1) I just deleted the IMRC. They don't work well with boost, so I opted to delete it.

2) The only thing that doesn't work in my swap is the driver's memory recall. The power seats work, and I can store the input into M1 or M2. But the car won't recall the seat position. I think this is because the ECU normally tells the memory seat controller when the car is stopped, so you can't recall the seat position while driving at speed.

3) The reverse lockout solenoid has a two pin connector. I wired one pin directly to fused power. The other side was hooked up to a switchable ground. You can use any controllable ground you want, but I believe E15 normally drives that on the OEM setup. This ground will switch on when the car has the brake pedal depressed, so you can't go into reverse without pressing the brakes.

4) Idk, find your cruise control box. Mine works fine with nothing swapped.
The following users liked this post:
crustyneon (12-08-2018)