Vacuum line without a home

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:42 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently replaced the motor mounts on my '05 RL and found a vacuum line zip-tied to the engine bay strut stabilizer. It has about a 10 inch reach and has a plastic fitting (that does appear to have been broken off of something) on the end of the hose. That fitting is round and concave.
Does anyone have any ideas about where it should go?

Old 08-15-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
take the engine covers off to reveal the intake manifold...it should be in the same exact spot where it was ziptied only on the intake manifold.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:30 PM
8th Gear

Thank you for the quick reply justnspace I took the engine cover off and could not find anything obvious.
I looked through the Acura parts catalog and I believe I found that it is a transfer case breather tube. If that is the case then being zip-tied to the frame is probably acceptable.
However, it is bugging me to no end...
In the first picture you should be able to see a hole in the strut stabilizer bar just to the left of the zip-tied tubing. Is it possible that the broken fitting was once fastened to that bar?
If anyone is able to confirm this I would appreciate the information.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-15-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it's the transfer case end of the breather line, then that means you now have an opening down there for water to enter.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM
8th Gear

Hi DagMDX2011 thank you for the reply.
Sorry if that picture is not clear, the misplaced end of the tube is at the top of the engine bay by the firewall and that black bar is the strut stabilizer. The other end of that tube is where it belongs.
What I would really like is a picture or a confirmation, from someone who owns a similar car, showing/confirming where that plastic elbow is attached.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2nd the Bugging to NO END!!

Originally Posted by jbadw1992
Thank you for the quick reply justnspace I took the engine cover off and could not find anything obvious.
I looked through the Acura parts catalog and I believe I found that it is a transfer case breather tube. If that is the case then being zip-tied to the frame is probably acceptable.
However, it is bugging me to no end...
In the first picture you should be able to see a hole in the strut stabilizer bar just to the left of the zip-tied tubing. Is it possible that the broken fitting was once fastened to that bar?
If anyone is able to confirm this I would appreciate the information.
I too, have an 05 Acura RL! It has been bugging me to NO end trying to figure out what connects to the fitting/hose bib on the STRUT BAR . I have looked and searched through manuals which show the hose connecting to the strut bar, but not to much info on the other end of the hose. IT has drove me crazy and I have searched many hours trying to figure it out! First, I thought it was windshield wiper cleaner sprayer, but it wasn't. Second, I thought it was a vacuum line, but no codes and there is no draw or anything. So, the hose actually connects to a little fitting on the strut bar. Could you possibly take some pictures to show me, or explain where the hose is routed through from the transfer assembly to the strut bar?
The following users liked this post:
jbadw1992 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:38 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Lauren Nicole Wongchoy
I too, have an 05 Acura RL! It has been bugging me to NO end trying to figure out what connects to the fitting/hose bib on the STRUT BAR . I have looked and searched through manuals which show the hose connecting to the strut bar, but not to much info on the other end of the hose. IT has drove me crazy and I have searched many hours trying to figure it out! First, I thought it was windshield wiper cleaner sprayer, but it wasn't. Second, I thought it was a vacuum line, but no codes and there is no draw or anything. So, the hose actually connects to a little fitting on the strut bar. Could you possibly take some pictures to show me, or explain where the hose is routed through from the transfer assembly to the strut bar?

2005 Acura RL Transfer Case - parts view

Hi Lauren Nicole Wongchoy,
Number 17 in the image is the joint that connects to the strut bar, it is attached to a breather tube for the transfer case. It is a vent that goes straight from inside the case to the atmosphere, it is just a plain old tube, that is attached above the fluid level. Its purpose is to allow air in and out of the transfer case as it heats up and cools down to avoid a buildup of pressure. Without the breather it would be a completely sealed unit and heat (buildup of pressure) would cause seals to leak.
I hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:29 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
OK just my opinion here. If Acura really intended for that tube to provide that function, you'd think they would have developed a bit more elegant approach. From what I can see, this thing has literally a piece of plastic, broken off from somewhere, and then simply ziptied off to the strut.....in full view of the owner!! It looks half-assed to say the least!

Not exactly what I would expect from the designers of the "flagship" of the brand!! Someone else is gonna have to give me a better explanation....I think there's more to the story. Just sayin'....
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM
8th Gear

Hi @DanL07RL
I agree with you that it looks half-assed, that is why I was trying to find where the hose actually attaches to the car.
After searching the parts catalog I found part number 41935-RJB-013 for about $5.
Which attaches the transfer case breather tube to the strut stabilizer bar very near to the location that it was previously zip-tied.
The zip-tie has since been retired!
Here is a picture of the part installed:

2005 Acura RL - Transfer case breather tube upper attachment point
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by jbadw1992
Hi @DanL07RL
I agree with you that it looks half-assed, that is why I was trying to find where the hose actually attaches to the car.
After searching the parts catalog I found part number 41935-RJB-013 for about $5.
Which attaches the transfer case breather tube to the strut stabilizer bar very near to the location that it was previously zip-tied.
The zip-tie has since been retired!
Here is a picture of the part installed:

2005 Acura RL - Transfer case breather tube upper attachment point
WELL DONE!! Thanks. I KNEW it had to have more of a function than just "hanging out" like that!

Now I'm going to check it on my daughter's car.