The shoulda's and the coulda's

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb The shoulda's and the coulda's

As discussed in the thread titled "Rumor!", it is probably a good idea to start a new thread about missing RL features. So here it is

But besides just doing a free for all, here's some suggested (only suggested) structure.

-Features the RL needs--features that are a necessity in this segment, but were somehow forgotten by the engineers at Honda. These could also be features you see Acura adding in RL facelifts over the next few years.

-Features you wish the RL had--features that are not absolutely necessary in this segment, but would make the RL even better. Features that are not too far fetched for the price segment, but still wishful thinking.

-Maybe what you would have done to the RL if you were project manager. Would you have made separate RL models? Would you have created option packages? You make the rules...you decide how its done. Be creative

-Or a free for all

Happy posting I'll chime in after we gain some momentum here
Old 03-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Cruisin'

needs:
  • ventilated seats
  • rear park assist
  • 18s standard; 19s as option

wants/verbal diarrhea:
  • back-up camera
  • intuitive front/rear park assist
  • 18s standard
  • 19s as option
  • more rear legroom
  • even more aggressive front end
  • TL-style rear lights (something more angular and sharp)
  • TL-style side crease (I don't know if that would look good - but it's a thought)
  • V8
Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Needs (most of them are mature tech or system in JDM Honda vehicles)
  • Star button
  • HiDS: Honda Intelligent Driver Support System
  • CMS: Collision Mitigation Brake System
  • ventilated seats
  • LKAS: Lane-Keeping Assist System
  • rear view camera
  • Night view system
  • BT phone address book could be migrated into HFL
  • Phone buttons on LCD

Wish (saabfan said them all above)
  • Powerful engine or more HP/Torque
  • Aggressive exterior
  • Better central console
  • Front sensors/radar
  • Better wheels with 18"~19" size
  • New style remote key/fob
  • Built-in DVD player
  • HUD
Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 AM
has been here awhile

I'm with you guys on most of this...

NEEDS
  • Backup Camera--the MDX has it, and has had it for too long. For the RL to be missing out is a BIG mistake, IMHO.
  • Rainsensing Wipers--see above.
  • Ventilated seats--Canada gets these and we don't? Let's compare climates...I understand that Canada needed some features to compensate for some features they never got...but come on...
  • 10-way power passenger seat--the flagship of the Acura line has the same power adjustments as the entry-lux sedan? Besides--the MDX has an 8-way power seat...
  • More torque--while I didn't not feel the desperate need during my testdrive, hearing the general concensus makes it quite clear this is necessary.
WANTS
  • HiDS--this technology pack has been available to Japan for a long time and we have never gotten it over here. Bring it stateside, Honda! It would be nice to have the smart cruise control and lane warning system, considering the competition has this
  • Honda Night Vision--this would be cool and would be great for identifying Honda/Acura as a technology leader
  • Headlamp washers--not a major feature, but I've always been fascinated by these. I always play with them whenever I get the chance
  • 18 inch wheels standard--20's optional--some wheels that are better proportioned to the RL would be nice. The same design would be fine...just make it a little bigger
  • High-performance Hybrid--I think this is coming in the future (and I really hope) but who knows?
SILLY DREAMS
  • Adjustable variable suspension--the competition offers it...develop it for us. It could be used on the MDX and other future Honda/Acura products. A long-shot, I know...but would be nice, nonetheless.
  • V8--let's face it...a Honda V8 would be a pretty sweet thing. Honda has extraordinary V6s, known for their silkiness and finesse. Imagine how a Honda V8 would be I don't think the RL needs it--nor would it really sell too well--but would be cool nonetheless (it is but a dream). The MDX could use this engine and so could an ultra-lux Acura sedan.
  • Power rear seats--I know...kinda frilly...but fun, nonetheless.
  • 4-zone climate control--would be a nice feature to go with the power rear seats...
  • Panoramic Sunroof--these are pretty cool. Would really add to the RL's airy cabin
  • Unique platform--it'd be great if the RL was designed on a unique platform that could be shared with a ultra-lux sedan. I've heard rumors that Acura may be considering a sedan above the RL, and this platform would be great for that sedan.
SPUDMTN, who loves the idea of an ultra-lux Acura
Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 AM
Advanced

I agree with you guys totally on all of these. However, there are two needs that were on my list that the RL didn't offer that you guys didn't mention. These not being availble eventually made me trade the car for the 2006 M45 Sport that I have now:

1. A Sport Option - throw in 20" wheels (yes they were mentioned but I want the whole package), a suspension that is adjustable between sport and comfort (with no body lean during sport mode).
2. Rear Entertainment. Just mount the system in the MDX darnit. It works fine.

They are number 2 and 3 on my NEED list, number 1 you already mentioned. More power which normally equates to more Torque and lots of it.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Needs:
1. Less Weight (400 lbs less would do it)
2. More torque (25 lbs more would be OK)
3. More wood (center stack and shift gate)
4. Remote start (this would have been easy at design stage, aftermarket is tough)
5. Squeal-less brakes
6. A real middle back seat, come on!!!!!

Wants:
1. Ventilated seats on USA models
2. DVD player (I promise I won't watch )
3. More audi-esque, mercedes s-classish smooth-uncluttered styling
4. Black grill and maybe no-chrome around windows, etc (maybe)
5. Squinty thin headlights (sounding like I should have gotten the TL?)

Things to skip:
1. Paddle shifters
2. Power sunshade
Old 03-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN

NEEDS
  • Rainsensing Wipers
Of course! Add those to my needs list as well.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Needs:

1. Power door close assist
2. Front and Rear parktronic (standard)
3. 18" or 19" tire/wheel pkg. (standard)
4. Heated rear seats
5. Power trunk open/close (MB, Audi, Lexus, BMW, Lincoln has it)

Wants:

1. Rear seat entertainment: "2" LCD head restraint monitors
(Audi, Jaguar and even Volvo offers it on their "Flagship Sedans")
2. Power folding exterior mirrors
3. Heated steering wheel (Nissan, Infiniti, MB and others offer it)
Old 03-25-2005, 02:43 PM
office monkey

Ventilated seats--Canada gets these and we don't? Let's compare climates...I understand that Canada needed some features to compensate for some features they never got...but come on...
I see a comemnt like that and think the person is assuming we live in igloos up here and that pisses me off. I wouldnt think this if I didnt know that more than half of Americans dont even know where Canada is.

During the summer months here in Ontario we easily get super hot days so apparently it can get pretty warm here. Also, ventilated seats arent just used in the f'in hot weather. I use them during the winter sometimes when I get hot. I have found the RL's interior gets warm real quick and sometimes I get hot so I slap the seat into cool mode.

Anyway on to the original question...I don't think the RL NEEDS anything meaning nothing else is a requirement for driving the friggin car from point A to point B. There are things I wish it had (they're all pretty much listed) but again, they aren't needs.

Anyway, I shall use my ventilated seats next week as I travel to work (I'm an ice fisherman since that is all we can do up here) from my igloo. BTW the ventilated seats are kick ass...the cooling is fantastic. I personally have no idea why the U.S. didn't get them but that's not my problem. Also, the ventilated seats seem to be just missing on the U.S. RL/Legend so it isn't like we Canucks got lucky with that...
Old 03-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Cruisin'

I had read that the reason Canadians got ventilated seats and we in the US did not was because Acura did not want the MSRP to exceed $50,000. So some features got left off to stay under this figure.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
I see a comemnt like that and think the person is assuming we live in igloos up here and that pisses me off. I wouldnt think this if I didnt know that more than half of Americans dont even know where Canada is.

During the summer months here in Ontario we easily get super hot days so apparently it can get pretty warm here. Also, ventilated seats arent just used in the f'in hot weather. I use them during the winter sometimes when I get hot. I have found the RL's interior gets warm real quick and sometimes I get hot so I slap the seat into cool mode.

Anyway on to the original question...I don't think the RL NEEDS anything meaning nothing else is a requirement for driving the friggin car from point A to point B. There are things I wish it had (they're all pretty much listed) but again, they aren't needs.

Anyway, I shall use my ventilated seats next week as I travel to work (I'm an ice fisherman since that is all we can do up here) from my igloo. BTW the ventilated seats are kick ass...the cooling is fantastic. I personally have no idea why the U.S. didn't get them but that's not my problem. Also, the ventilated seats seem to be just missing on the U.S. RL/Legend so it isn't like we Canucks got lucky with that...

Rob,

From what you can see, how is the cooling achieved? Is it simply air that is circulated throught the seat or does it get really cold (maybe from conditioning?).

Since you have it and we don't, please let us know what we are missing?

Cheers

Pete
Old 03-25-2005, 07:44 PM
Pro

Needs:

Heated rear seats
ventilated front seats
8 way pwr pass seat w/ memo
auto wipers

Wants:
Rear seat entertainment system (TSX has it as a option!!!!!!!)
pwr folding door mirrors
Standard 18" tires/ wheels
Optional wood choices like the last RL
Wood trim for the rear seat arm rest
Bringing back the pwr door closures that the 2nd gen Legend coupe had
get rid of the ignition switch and add a start/ stop button like the S2K.
Hybrid V6 3.5 DOHC i-VETC putting out 350 or more Hp.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
More like a wants but it NEEDS a V8 to be competitive in this segment.
No matter how you slice it, you know it's true. Every other car in this class has a V8 option.
Doesn't matter if only 5% buy the V8 model. The fact that it's offered is enough reason.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Racer

I agree with Rob that there is not much that I actually need in my RL.

Maybe to help Acura out (assuming that they might read this forum) it would be interesting for people to list how much they would be willing to pay for their "wants".

It would also be really interesting to understand how these "wants" and "needs" vary, depending on whether you already own and drive an RL, or whether you might be considering one.

Pete
Old 03-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by psteng19
More like a wants but it NEEDS a V8 to be competitive in this segment.
No matter how you slice it, you know it's true. Every other car in this class has a V8 option.
Doesn't matter if only 5% buy the V8 model. The fact that it's offered is enough reason.
True, everyone else does offer a V8 option. However, I believe that a Hybrid like on the DN-X would/could solve that debate. Lexus is rumored to be working on a hybrid for the next LS as a means to counter M-B, BMW, and Audi's 12 cylinder offerings and at the same time giving buyers greater fuel mileage.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by petemc

Maybe to help Acura out (assuming that they might read this forum) it would be interesting for people to list how much they would be willing to pay for their "wants".

It would also be really interesting to understand how these "wants" and "needs" vary, depending on whether you already own and drive an RL, or whether you might be considering one.

Pete
Currently I have the new TL. I like the RL but feel that there are some things that is does lack but should have. I do respect Acura for giving you owners standard rear window sun shade. I respect them even more since the RL has side window shades. Even the mighty M-B S-Class offers has those things as options on models that cost 30k or more then the RL.

Also the Navi is one of the best in the business. I cannot see how much more auto wipers would have cost considering the MDX has it on the Touring package. By spreading the feature around I would think the price would decrease.

But my educated guess is that money went into SH-AWD and as such some things were left off. Now, if Acura would have an all inclusive option package such as the MDX's where additional features were added for a few thousand more then those who want the extra can pay for it and those that don't won't.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wants/Needs

I believe most of the needs/wants bases have been covered and I agree with virtually all of them. However, allow me to add a few more:

1. Power adjustable front head-rests.
2. Power connection pods for radar-detectors.
3. I-pod and/or other mobile audio/PDA connectors.
4. Dedicated sunglass holder
5. SACD Audio CD playback capability
6. Multiple use of the nav-screen:
a) Phone information
b) SH-AWD graphic dispaly and/or other MID display info
c) PDA display
d) Rerouted Valentine One (or other radar)info display.
7. Power side shade curtains on all windows (for privacy considerations).
8. Power windshield sun screen.
9. Larger, more prominent front grille (keep pentagonic shape)with larger Acura logo
10. Acura logo hood ornament (al'a Mercedes Benz tri-star)
Old 03-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by petemc

Pete

PeteMC,

These are my thoughts exactly. The cars has all the options that you would want already. Some of the options listed above seem to be quite reasonable.
Are you guys willing to pay $70K for the RL? The list compiled above would increase the price of the car to about that much. I think the incremental improvements and a more aggressive looking exterior will be the real improvements. I own other vehicles that have the RL's options or more and I assure you that these vehicles cost a whole lot more than $50K.

My question is how many of you think the price of this car will increase to $60K in the next 5 years?

I think a new option will be available in 2007 (Such as base RL and aggressive RL... Full body kit, lowered suspension and rims) and it will make this car price increase to $60. Just my
Old 03-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

I'm a current RL owner. I'd be willing to pay for my wants, so list below.

Needs:

1. Power door close assist ($500)
2. Front and Rear parktronic (standard)
3. 18" or 19" tire/wheel pkg. (standard)
4. Heated rear seats($350)
5. Power trunk open/close (MB, Audi, Lexus, BMW, Lincoln has it) ($475)

Wants:

1. Rear seat entertainment: "2" LCD head restraint monitors ($2K)
2. Power folding exterior mirrors (Standard)
3. Heated steering wheel (Nissan, Infiniti, MB and others offer it) (Standard)

One of our vehicles have many of these items, for $50 Grand...I think they should offer more than a wood-steering and shift knob as up grades. But I love my car as is...
Old 03-26-2005, 05:29 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
PeteMC,

These are my thoughts exactly. The cars has all the options that you would want already. Some of the options listed above seem to be quite reasonable.
Are you guys willing to pay $70K for the RL? The list compiled above would increase the price of the car to about that much...I think a new option will be available in 2007 (Such as base RL and aggressive RL... Full body kit, lowered suspension and rims) and it will make this car price increase to $60. Just my
I see what you are saying...though I think some of the features missing are in-excusable. For the vehicle to be missing features that are already on other Acuras (such as rainsensing wipers, ventilated seats, 8/10-way power passenger seat, and backup camera) is on the verge of inexcusable. It is just hard for me to understand why these little features are missing. Each of these features would require minimal price adjustment, because they are such basic technologies. Having the features already "in-house" would make them even more cost efficient, because there would be no development costs, and very little cost involved in "adapting" the technology to the RL. That's my only gripe. I have a feeling that these little features will slowly be added to the RL through refreshes.

As for Acura offering a package or any options for the RL...I just don't see it. Unless Acura plans on changing their philosophy, I just don't see it happening. Acura has been known to offer no options, save for the MDX. For them to offer something along the lines of a "Type-S" seems odd, as well, for they have recently phased this out. I think we'll just see revisions made during each model year to the RL, as opposed to optional packages. Further, I really doubt we'll see these changes pushing the MSRP up to around $60k. I'd bet the farthest Acura will go with the RL is just under $55k at the very most. $10k in options and additional equipment/revisions is a lot of added gadgets and gizmos. If they plan on raising the price that much, I hope they give us some serious luxury features in the RL.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I see what you are saying...though I think some of the features missing are in-excusable. For the vehicle to be missing features that are already on other Acuras (such as rainsensing wipers, ventilated seats, 8/10-way power passenger seat, and backup camera) is on the verge of inexcusable. It is just hard for me to understand why these little features are missing. Each of these features would require minimal price adjustment, because they are such basic technologies. Having the features already "in-house" would make them even more cost efficient, because there would be no development costs, and very little cost involved in "adapting" the technology to the RL. That's my only gripe. I have a feeling that these little features will slowly be added to the RL through refreshes.

As for Acura offering a package or any options for the RL...I just don't see it. Unless Acura plans on changing their philosophy, I just don't see it happening. Acura has been known to offer no options, save for the MDX. For them to offer something along the lines of a "Type-S" seems odd, as well, for they have recently phased this out. I think we'll just see revisions made during each model year to the RL, as opposed to optional packages. Further, I really doubt we'll see these changes pushing the MSRP up to around $60k. I'd bet the farthest Acura will go with the RL is just under $55k at the very most. $10k in options and additional equipment/revisions is a lot of added gadgets and gizmos. If they plan on raising the price that much, I hope they give us some serious luxury features in the RL.

Agree with you on this. Most of the options I listed wouldn't cost much to add to the vehicle. Door close assist, heated rear seats etc. should already be offered on this vehicle. In the coming years, I believe they'll have to offer these options to keep up with other brands. I don't think the SH-AWD will be the only feature to lure buyers into showrooms. I know it wasn't for me...I just loved the styling, and wanted the NAVI system.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:41 PM
office monkey

Pete,

the ventilated seats work like this:

There are 3 settings for both the heat and cooling function. The top setting for each has fairly rapid cooling and heating with cooling being quicker to work than the heating.

For the cooling part I am pretty sure it is connected to the a/c so it is extra cold. Air comes out of the perforations in the seat and if you put your hand close over the seat bottom you can feel the air. I think both the seat bottom and back of the driver cool but only the seat bottom of the passenger cools for the airbag sensor reason...that is what it says in the manual for the heating part so I would guess the cooling part is the same.

If there is any noise for this operation it isn't loud enough for me to have heard. Then again, I havent tried them out with the stereo off and everything else off while at idle but for normal driving whatever nosie they may have (which I think is next to nothing) shouldn't be a problem since all other noise is louder.

The seats get VERY cold on the top setting which is the only setting I have tried out thus far. In comparison to the seats in the LS430, I'd say the RLs are better with the cooling feature since they work faster and are colder. I cant wait for the summer to hit so I can have them on all the time while I drive, especially when I am coming back from an afternoon of boating at the marina.

Anyway, it's a real great option that I am thankful we got here and again, I am at a loss as to why they didn't fit them into the U.S. RLs because IMO cooled seats are far more valuable than heated seats and can be used ANYWHERE while I doubt people in arizona, texas and other warm climate states have much used for heated seats. Like me, a person can use cooled seats all year while heated are only good for when it is cold and even then you only turn the heated seat on for a couple mins until it warms up and then bam, you turn it off, unless people like to have a warm sweaty ass...I don't. With a cooling function you can keep it on all the time because as we all know, the human ass gets warm when sitting in a seat for extended periods of time and having it cooled is refreshing. It is nice to see more cars come with seat cooling as an option and I look forward to the day when they become commonplace as heated seats are now.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
4th Gear

I hope the powers that be read these posts.

While I do not have a RL yet, I have been watching the forums and comments on this site. This thread is a very good one for the big guys at Acura to take a look. I will be switching over from Nissan (Max 2002) b/c their quality and customer service has gone down significantly. Taking care of the Max has become a part time job. Thank God I had the common sense to get the extended warranty. Anyway, my lists would go like this:

Need:
• Seat heating/cooling on all four corners (The $34,000 Maxima has heat on all four).

• Heated steering wheel (don't laugh ‘cause this is actually a great comfort feature for those in colder climates. Ask someone that has it).

• Stationary shift paddles so that you can not only find them at all times but also find the correct one when you need it.

• A rear seat pass thru or split seats (I was told by the salesman that it does not have this feature).

• Rear camera.

• Auto locking doors with passive arming. If the FOB is not in the vicinity, then chances are good that the doors should be locked.

• A switch to turn off the daytime running lights. You might have occasion to sit in the car at night and wish to not have your lights on. Do the lights only come on when you move the selector out of park? Either way, I would like a switch.

Wish:
• Sportier wheels.
• More aggressive tires (maybe Pilot Sport A/S)
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Huh, I'm the only one who likes to have HUD, Head-Up Display...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
Huh, I'm the only one who likes to have HUD, Head-Up Display...
No - I am with you. I have it in my XLR and when I drive the RL I feel lost having to look down to the speedometer. How archaic! Adaptive cruise and rain sensing wipers are also on my list.

Bill
Old 03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jaman
While I do not have a RL yet, I have been watching the forums and comments on this site. This thread is a very good one for the big guys at Acura to take a look. I will be switching over from Nissan (Max 2002) b/c their quality and customer service has gone down significantly. Taking care of the Max has become a part time job. Thank God I had the common sense to get the extended warranty. Anyway, my lists would go like this:

Need:
• Seat heating/cooling on all four corners (The $34,000 Maxima has heat on all four).

• Heated steering wheel (don't laugh ‘cause this is actually a great comfort feature for those in colder climates. Ask someone that has it).

• Stationary shift paddles so that you can not only find them at all times but also find the correct one when you need it.

• A rear seat pass thru or split seats (I was told by the salesman that it does not have this feature).

• Rear camera.

• Auto locking doors with passive arming. If the FOB is not in the vicinity, then chances are good that the doors should be locked.

• A switch to turn off the daytime running lights. You might have occasion to sit in the car at night and wish to not have your lights on. Do the lights only come on when you move the selector out of park? Either way, I would like a switch.

Wish:
• Sportier wheels.
• More aggressive tires (maybe Pilot Sport A/S)
Acura should have included some of what you stated above. Heated seats for all 4 positions, rear camera, heated steering wheel, and the cooling feature (for the US). However the RL like the TL and TSX were made to a price point. Plain and simple. How else would you explain Canada, Japan, and Europe having more features standard or optional? Acura didn't cut corners, they just focused more on some areas then others. Nissan/Infiniti did the same thing. They focused on teh VQ seriers engine and didn't pay too much attention to interior design quality. The RL's optional 18" wheels are sporty yet they cost a pretty penny to purchase and they do not enclude the tires. If they were a factory option then maybe the cost would be less and tires would be a part of the package.

I'm not too sure what you mean by Auto looking doors. I believe if you shut the door and press the demple then the doors lock and the alarm sets. I think one could press the lock button on the inside of the door, shut it and walk away with the alarm setting.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by bmac
No - I am with you. I have it in my XLR and when I drive the RL I feel lost having to look down to the speedometer. How archaic! Adaptive cruise and rain sensing wipers are also on my list.

Bill

The RL isn't the only car w/o HUD. I don't know why though. I've driven Grand Pix's with it and found it to be very helpful in keeping my eyes on the road.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:10 PM
TSXREEFER

Hard to imagine - 4-way

I really cannot imagine buying a ~50K car that did not have at least 6 way power seat on the passenger side, should actually have same features as the drivers seat.
I can tollerate the 4-way passenger seat in my TSX as it is my local daily driver, but on the road traveling with my wife, we use our A-6. We take turns driving on longer trips. We might replace that A-6 soon, but the RL is not in the game with that 4-way seat. Looking at new A-6 and new AWD Lexus 300. BTW, my only complaint with the TSX is that stupid 4-way seat., otherwise it is more fun to drive than any car I have owned and more fun than a barrel of monkeys. TSX replaced a 2001 twin turbo six speed A-6 quattro, so that is saying a lot.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:53 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I'm not too sure what you mean by Auto looking doors. I believe if you shut the door and press the demple then the doors lock and the alarm sets. I think one could press the lock button on the inside of the door, shut it and walk away with the alarm setting.
First off, I did not state that ‘Acura cut corners’.
Second, I said the car should have auto locking doors not ‘auto looking doors’.
This thread was supposed to be about things you feel the car needs or should have. With that said, third, just like the RL senses the FOB is near and unlocks the door(s), I feel that it should also sense that the FOB is no longer near and lock the door(s).
Old 03-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Pro

First off, I did not state that ‘Acura cut corners’.
Second, I said the car should have auto locking doors not ‘auto looking doors’.
This thread was supposed to be about things you feel the car needs or should have. With that said, third, just like the RL senses the FOB is near and unlocks the door(s), I feel that it should also sense that the FOB is no longer near and lock the door(s).
I did not say you said Acura cut corners. It is a fact that they did. In order to deliever what they have done on the TSX, TL, and RL some things had to be axed and were. 50k is already pushing things with a 300hp V6 w/AWD and a host of things that a lot of other cars do not have or jack the price up close to 60k.

Next, I cannot think of any car that has the doors auto lock when you shut them with the fob in tow. Maybe the S-Class or an SL has this I do not know but considering how long it took for Acura to add rainsense wipers it may take a while. Now if you bother to go to the JDM web site and look at the features the Legend, Inspire, and Accord have you'd know what I mean when I said our Acura's (minus the Inspire) are lacking. Maybe in other parts of the world Honda offers sensors that detect the fob is leaving the area and the doors can lock themselves. Either way, I for one push the lock button as I'm walking away with out much fan fair.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:19 PM
4th Gear

Ask karl_in_chicago, my03types and legendguy if they think they can use auto locking door(s) (Stupid Human Tricks, don't try at home - Thread).

Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Pro

Ask karl_in_chicago, my03types and legendguy if they think they can use auto locking door(s) (Stupid Human Tricks, don't try at home - Thread).

Do you know of any car that offers such a feature? M-B I think was the first to introduce a key-keyless systems when they introduced Keyless Go.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I must admit, Honda did cut some corners on the Acura RL. However, they did what was necessary to have as many "noticeable" features (features that look good in advertisements) as possible and still cost under $50,000. They did well, especially considering that the relatively weak dollar vs. the yen makes it more expensive to manufacture a car in Japan and sell it in the U.S. Incidentally, Honda was able to circumvent the exchange rate challenge with the TL because that car is made in the U.S.A. That's part of the reason why the TL is so much cheaper than the RL.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
I must admit, Honda did cut some corners on the Acura RL. However, they did what was necessary to have as many "noticeable" features (features that look good in advertisements) as possible and still cost under $50,000. They did well, especially considering that the relatively weak dollar vs. the yen makes it more expensive to manufacture a car in Japan and sell it in the U.S. Incidentally, Honda was able to circumvent the exchange rate challenge with the TL because that car is made in the U.S.A. That's part of the reason why the TL is so much cheaper than the RL.
And to that end you are correct! Honda did what was necessary and so far it is paying off with RL sales holding strong. With reports of a lane departure system coming for '06 as a standard then that makes things even better considering Lexus and Infiniti offer a similar system but charge extra.

So to that end Acura has done well and will continue to do so. Over time, we will see some things such as cooling seats and rainsense wipers and maybe 8 way pwr pas seat come on board along with a slight price increase.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
4th Gear

Do you know of any car that offers such a feature? M-B I think was the first to introduce a key-keyless systems when they introduced Keyless Go.
Dude are you sh*ting me or what? First off, yes I do know of a car that has this feature. The one I have now. Not only does it lock the doors after thirty seconds, it also closes all windows and the sunroof. All done passively mind you. Yes it is aftermarket but it can be done in the factory. Second, there are a limited number of cars that offer a truly keyless entry/operation system such as the RL so maybe they have not thought of incorporating this feature yet. All of the systems are electronically controlled so it would be easy to add this functionality. Being that part of the ownership experience of the 2005 RL is that you never have to use a key or touch the FOB, I am just saying it would be nice if the doors lock and the alarm arms automatically when the FOB is out of range. Did you have a chance to read the thread I referred to in my last post? Sh*t happens, people forget and the world moves on. I think one would be more apt to accidentally hit the inside of the handle (thus unlocking the door)while trying to use the dimple or forget to lock the doors with the FOB being that you never took it out your entire journey.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Intermediate

I did not say you said Acura cut corners. It is a fact that they did. In order to deliever what they have done on the TSX, TL, and RL some things had to be axed and were. 50k is already pushing things with a 300hp V6 w/AWD and a host of things that a lot of other cars do not have or jack the price up close to 60k.

Next, I cannot think of any car that has the doors auto lock when you shut them with the fob in tow. Maybe the S-Class or an SL has this I do not know but considering how long it took for Acura to add rainsense wipers it may take a while. Now if you bother to go to the JDM web site and look at the features the Legend, Inspire, and Accord have you'd know what I mean when I said our Acura's (minus the Inspire) are lacking. Maybe in other parts of the world Honda offers sensors that detect the fob is leaving the area and the doors can lock themselves. Either way, I for one push the lock button as I'm walking away with out much fan fair.
The Cadillac STS and XLR have this feature. It is quite handy but produces bad habits. On the first day my wife had the RL, she got out (with the fob in tow) and walked away from the car thinking it would auto-lock.

Bill
Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '99 Corvette auto-unlocks when I approach and auto-locks when I walk away.