RL in for repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RL in for repairs

Glad I got the extended warranty....

Having them check the propeller shaft support bearing whistle sound, my driver's side mirror was loose/vibrating, the passenger's side headlight flickered occasionally, and trying to get them to replace the soot-covered exhaust tips.

I have an 09 TSX for a loaner. Poor replacement for the fit/finish of the RL.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Your list represents my recent repair history. Only difference is that my loose mirror was on the passenger side. Also had a bonus when they replaced the bulb. When I first got my car back home and into the garage, I noticed the bulb was still flickering. Took it back and found they replaced the wrong one. While I wasn't happy to have to deal with the two visits, I was pleased I got two new bulbs at the 45K mileage mark. My understanding is these bulbs are one of the items not covered by the extended warranty. (Could be wrong, thought I saw that somewhere)
Old 05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Your list represents my recent repair history. Only difference is that my loose mirror was on the passenger side. Also had a bonus when they replaced the bulb. When I first got my car back home and into the garage, I noticed the bulb was still flickering. Took it back and found they replaced the wrong one. While I wasn't happy to have to deal with the two visits, I was pleased I got two new bulbs at the 45K mileage mark. My understanding is these bulbs are one of the items not covered by the extended warranty. (Could be wrong, thought I saw that somewhere)
You are right on the bulb coverage. My Dealer even told me they were not covered under original warranty!
Had a big incident with them about the whole thing. They finally replaced for free as "good will".
Old 05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by getakey
You are right on the bulb coverage. My Dealer even told me they were not covered under original warranty!
Had a big incident with them about the whole thing. They finally replaced for free as "good will".
Wow, I had zero issue getting the HID bulbs replaced under the original warranty. My understanding was they are covered under the original, but not extended warranty.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
Wow, I had zero issue getting the HID bulbs replaced under the original warranty. My understanding was they are covered under the original, but not extended warranty.
Just to clarify - my car was past original warranty, but Dealer was trying to tell me the bulbs were not covered under any warranty as an explanation of why they were not going to help me. I had told them about the flicker problem before orig warranty expired, but they could never reproduce. I told them it was impossible to reproduce unless they had someone stare at the lights all day long and that they just had to believe me. That insued the big incident. Net/net is they replaced it for free and I'm never going back there.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
wat

Hmmm, so here's the update:

Dealer is replacing the propellar shaft bearing, but they're saying that the side mirror isn't covered under my extended warranty, something like $600 to replace it, and according to them there's no option to fix it. I've read various threads on here that it is a common problem in 05's.

I was also under the impression the extended warranty I bought with the car was bumper-to-bumper, and a problem such as this that is a) a common problem and b) a manufacturer's defect would be covered.

They're also saying that the rear tailpipes being blackened isn't covered under the extended warranty either.

I don't remember the numbers they quoted me to fix that, but it was ridiculous.

Anyone have experience with the extended warranty not covering stuff like this? I thought the extended warranty was bumper-to-bumper; an extension of the original warranty, not a de-tuned version.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bugeye

Dealer is replacing the propellar shaft bearing, but they're saying that the side mirror isn't covered under my extended warranty, something like $600 to replace it, and according to them there's no option to fix it. I've read various threads on here that it is a common problem in 05's.

I was also under the impression the extended warranty I bought with the car was bumper-to-bumper, and a problem such as this that is a) a common problem and b) a manufacturer's defect would be covered.

They're also saying that the rear tailpipes being blackened isn't covered under the extended warranty either.

Anyone have experience with the extended warranty not covering stuff like this? I thought the extended warranty was bumper-to-bumper; an extension of the original warranty, not a de-tuned version.
Sounds like my Dealer!
The mirror should be an easy fix if it is just loose. I can't imagine them charging anything if it is the usual problem as reported by others. I had the problem as well and Dealer fixed in 5 minutes. However, something must be broken if they say it needs to be replaced. You should ask them why.

I recall a lot of owners getting their tailpipes extended to stop the blackening, but I don't remember if covered under warranty or just the old good will gesture. However, you can clean the tailpipes.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
There was a technical service bulletin on the tail pipes. Acura should replace them if you complain about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM
wat

Originally Posted by dwest1023
There was a technical service bulletin on the tail pipes. Acura should replace them if you complain about it.
Funny enough, I even brought them a printed copy of that service bulletin, and they still said no.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Weird.. I've never had a problem with my dealer with stuff like this

Sounds like Acura needs to crack down on the 'slacker' dealerships who bring down the overall quality of the brand.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've experienced that it depends on the Dealer on what they will either fix from TSB and/or cover under warranty.
I guess it depends on how much they aim to please their customers.
TSB's are NOT automatic free fixes. This also depends on Dealer to Dealer.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 PM
wat

Just got off the phone with both Acura Care and Acura Client Services.

Can honestly say I'm appalled at the lack of customer service, all the way up the line.

Apparently because the mirror is still 'functioning,' it isn't technically broken, so they won't cover it.

The tail pipes are a cosmetic issue, so that's why they won't cover it.

They said my best bet was to contact the selling dealership and see if they'll cover it for me. The dealership I bought the car from is 300 miles from where I live.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Funny, my car is currently in the shop for all the things you described plus a burnt bulb on the passenger heat seat switch. My dealer gave me no trouble on anything, they are replacing the exhaust tips, prop shaft and the passenger side mirror (the entire housing), all at no cost to me, covered under warranty. My CPO warranty runs out in about a week and I do have the extended 7/100.

On the way over to the dealer today, thought I saw the driver headlight flickering in the reflection of the car in front of me, will have to keep an eye on that and I'll ask them if it would be covered.

I'd find another dealer if I were you.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:16 PM
wat

Originally Posted by rlerman
Funny, my car is currently in the shop for all the things you described plus a burnt bulb on the passenger heat seat switch. My dealer gave me no trouble on anything, they are replacing the exhaust tips, prop shaft and the passenger side mirror (the entire housing), all at no cost to me, covered under warranty. My CPO warranty runs out in about a week and I do have the extended 7/100.

On the way over to the dealer today, thought I saw the driver headlight flickering in the reflection of the car in front of me, will have to keep an eye on that and I'll ask them if it would be covered.

I'd find another dealer if I were you.
If I take it to another dealership, won't they see that I've already tried to have it covered?

I really want to rip Acura a new asshole, I just don't know where to start.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

If there are TSB's on these problems, you should not have any problems getting them fixed. Take the tsb to the dealership and demand they fix it or you will take your business elsewhere and you'll call Acuracare to report the poor service (maybe this works, maybe not). I'm pretty sure the tips are under a TSB, not sure about the mirror.

If there is no TSB, you may have a more difficult time, but can't hurt to try another dealership. Just tell the new dealership, you are not satisfied with the service at your old dealer and you are switching. If they want your business, fix my problems.

I should get my car back tomorrow, I'll let you know how they write it up.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

If I take it to another dealership, won't they see that I've already tried to have it covered?
No, dealerships don't share that info at all.

Until a warranty repair is actually done, Acura won't know. Go ahead and try a different dealer. Call ahead and ask for an actual service advisor instead of their service receptionist.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:28 PM
wat

If there are TSB's on these problems, you should not have any problems getting them fixed. Take the tsb to the dealership and demand they fix it or you will take your business elsewhere and you'll call Acuracare to report the poor service (maybe this works, maybe not). I'm pretty sure the tips are under a TSB, not sure about the mirror.

If there is no TSB, you may have a more difficult time, but can't hurt to try another dealership. Just tell the new dealership, you are not satisfied with the service at your old dealer and you are switching. If they want your business, fix my problems.

I should get my car back tomorrow, I'll let you know how they write it up.
I brought in the bulletin for the exhaust pipes, and the Acura Client Services representative told me that it's not an actual service bulletin, just a newsletter distributed to dealers as an FYI type of thing, and since it's cosmetic it isn't covered.

tbh, I care more about the mirror than the tail pipes. I'm sure I could get the pipes clean with the right chemicals and some elbow grease.

But I do find it absolutely fucking ridiculous that my driver's side mirror shakes like its being held by a 90-year-old rheumatoid arthritis survivor who has Parkinson's, and that's not covered under my allegedly bumper-to-bumper warranty because it still "works."
Old 05-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, its like having a bumper cover popping off but is still somewhat fastened. "It still works!"

Try a different dealer.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Safety Car

I brought in the bulletin for the exhaust pipes, and the Acura Client Services representative told me that it's not an actual service bulletin, just a newsletter distributed to dealers as an FYI type of thing, and since it's cosmetic it isn't covered.

tbh, I care more about the mirror than the tail pipes. I'm sure I could get the pipes clean with the right chemicals and some elbow grease.

But I do find it absolutely fucking ridiculous that my driver's side mirror shakes like its being held by a 90-year-old rheumatoid arthritis survivor who has Parkinson's, and that's not covered under my allegedly bumper-to-bumper warranty because it still "works."
imho a shaking mirror is a safety issue, but still does not explain why they cannot just tighten it rather than replace. There's a thread where an owner described the DIY fix
Old 05-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am taking my 05 RL to the dealership next tue due to this annoying clicking/ticking noise from outisde the driver side area (either the side mirror or part of the front wheel area) Is that what is sounds like?

I also notice that my lights flicker at times and twice the driver side headlight shutoff completely (had to switch off then on again) Will they replace with out able to reproduce the problem (hasn't happen after 2 weeks ago)?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Advanced

Let me know...

Originally Posted by Rhlieu
I am taking my 05 RL to the dealership next tue due to this annoying clicking/ticking noise from outisde the driver side area (either the side mirror or part of the front wheel area) Is that what is sounds like?

I also notice that my lights flicker at times and twice the driver side headlight shutoff completely (had to switch off then on again) Will they replace with out able to reproduce the problem (hasn't happen after 2 weeks ago)?
I have had all the same issues, in fact, I am dropping my car off this morning for the clicking/ticking noise that you speak of. Already had the headlight assembly, bulbs replaced, and mirror fixed under the extended warranty (north of $2000 for all). I do have an excellent dealer, Sutton Acura in Macon, GA.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I have had a left flickering headlight for a long time and, at its worst, the light goes out but a quick off/on temporarily fixes it. Sometimes it is bad and other days it is no problem and I have no idea how it can be so intermittent. The dealer replaced the left "igniter" but it had no effect on the problem so the next time they noticed that the right light flickers so they replaced the right "igniter". That had no effect either because my left light still flickers just as it did prior to the 3 visits. BTW the first visit resulted in a "cannot duplicate problem" report. I have yet to get the dealer to attempt the 4th attempt.
I also have the "shakey mirror" syndrome and I seem to remember that you can pry a tab under the mirror and tighten it but I have not tryed it yet.
The last observation is that I was surprised to learn that "Acuracare" is not part of Acura but is a separate company that is contracted by Acura to write the extended warranties for Acura. That translates to: Acura is the client of Acuracare and you and I are the clients of Acura. It makes a difference as to whom you direct your complaints.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Got my car back today, all repairs made at no charge, including:

burned bulb for passenger heater switch
replacement of side mirror/housing
replacement of exhaust tips
Prop shaft bearing

I also called them this morning about the driver side headlight flickering. They didn't see it flicker, but replaced it anyway at no charge.

All of these repairs were done under the 1 yr/12k CPO warranty. I asked if they would be repaired under the extended warranty at no charge and other than the prop shaft bearing, the answer was no. Extended warranty covers mechanical issues, like the tranny, engine, exhaust system. etc. I believe it would also cover the radio/nav. It does not cover wear and tear items like bulbs or headlights, unless the problem is the ballast or something mechanically related that is failing.

Luckily, I had two weeks left on my 1 yr warranty. Hope whatever else is going to go wrong, goes wrong by May 20, somehow I doubt it.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:37 PM
2005 RL; 2005;VTX 1800

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've owned my CPO since DEC 08. Last major issue was my torque converter. replaced at no cost. My B service came due and took it in last Sat. Mentioned the local Honda dealership(had them mount some tires) claimed I had a loose tie rod so now I'm getting my whole steering gear assembly replaced due the tech said it had "free play" in it. I imagine that will take me well over 5-7k in warranty work thats been done now. I love the car but damn glad it has a warranty!!! Driving an 09 TL. Zippy little car but nothing compared to the smooth ride of my RL.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:57 AM
wat

Got my car back today, all repairs made at no charge, including:

burned bulb for passenger heater switch
replacement of side mirror/housing
replacement of exhaust tips
Prop shaft bearing

I also called them this morning about the driver side headlight flickering. They didn't see it flicker, but replaced it anyway at no charge.

All of these repairs were done under the 1 yr/12k CPO warranty. I asked if they would be repaired under the extended warranty at no charge and other than the prop shaft bearing, the answer was no. Extended warranty covers mechanical issues, like the tranny, engine, exhaust system. etc. I believe it would also cover the radio/nav. It does not cover wear and tear items like bulbs or headlights, unless the problem is the ballast or something mechanically related that is failing.

Luckily, I had two weeks left on my 1 yr warranty. Hope whatever else is going to go wrong, goes wrong by May 20, somehow I doubt it.

Hmmm. Now I'm confused. When you buy certified pre-owned, there is automatically an inclusive 1yr/12k bumper-to-bumper warranty? Cause I bought mine as a CPO in March, and as part of the price had them include the extended 7yr/100k mile warranty.

At any rate, I spoke with the service manager of the dealership, and he's submitting a request to his district manager outlining the details of my situation and seeing if Acura will replace the side mirror as a good will gesture.

Just kind of ridiculous given that:

- I bought the car less than 2 months ago.

- It has 22,500 miles on it.

- Original factory warranty expired less than 30 days ago.

- I bought it as a CPO with an extended warranty.

- It's a fucking flagship luxury car with a side mirror that vibrates like Michael J. Fox is holding it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

I also have a 05 RL that is Acura "Certified Pre-Owned". Someone please correct me if I am wrong, from my understanding the CPO adds 12 months / 12k mileage to the current bumper to bumper warranty (i.e. 48/50,000 + CPO = 60 months / 62,000) also extends the power train warranty up to 8 years / 100k mileage.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Taken directly from Acura's web site:

Warranty Coverage COVERAGE THAT BRINGS CONFIDENCE

An extended factory warranty and three-day exchange policy (where applicable) provide unparalleled peace of mind with any Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle purchase. Every buyer receives a 12-month / 12,000-mile Limited Warranty plus a 7-year / 100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, and coverage is honored nationwide at all Acura dealers.

View the Acura Certified Warranty for additional details.
Warranty Coverage

* Acura will repair or replace any part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use.
* All repairs or replacements under this warranty will be made free of charge with no deductible.
* The repaired or replaced parts are covered until the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty expires.
* See your dealer for full program details.

Start of Coverage

* 12-month / 12,000-Mile Limited Warranty extends the new car non-powertrain coverage by 12-month / 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) and starts after new car warranty expires.
* The 7-year / 100,000 mile Powertrain Limited Warranty starts from original date of new car warranty registration.

ADDITIONAL WARRANTY BENEFITS

(During the 12 month/12,000 mile limited warranty period)

* 24-hour toll-free Roadside Assistance (valid in U.S. and Canada)
* 24-hour emergency towing services
* Computerized trip routing map services
* Emergency fuel delivery
* Emergency lock-out service
* 24-hour Acura dealer locator
* Trip-Interruption Benefits
* Acura Concierge service (hotel referrals, trip planning, urgent message relay, etc.)

Extended Warranty AN EXTENSIVE SERVICE CONTRACT FOR THE ULTIMATE PEACE OF MIND.

The optional Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage provides the highest level of customer protection available. Owners should inquire about additional coverage at the time of purchase or lease of the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle.
Eligible Vehicles

All Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles
Highlights Include:

* Coverage up to 7-year/100,000 miles (from the original Acura New Vehicle Limited Warranty in-service date).
* Extends the same coverage provided in the Acura 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.
* Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage is transferable.
* Acura Care Certified Additional Coverage can ONLY be purchased from the dealership at the time the Acura Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle is purchased or leased.
* Acura Customer Care Benefits after 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty period (see Program Benefits).

http://www.acura.com/WarrantyCoverage.aspx
Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM
wat

I've read and re-read that page several times. From the way they make it sound, the 12 month/12k mile warranty is an extension of the original factory warranty.

If you look at their pdf file, it definitely leads you to believe that:

http://www.acura.com/content/pdf/Warranty.pdf

And then there's this line:

Acura will repair or replace any part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal use.
But that's obviously not the case. Needless to say, this will be the last Honda/Acura I purchase if I end up having to pay money to replace this side mirror.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
No, the 12mo/12k mile CPO warranty is bumper to bumper. It's an extension of the same 4yr/50k mile warranty. I have a CPO myself and had multiple things fixed under this warranty. No worries, it's the same!

The 7yr/100k mile CPO warranty is powertrain.

If you have trouble getting things fixed under this warranty, you may want to find another dealer.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM
wat

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
No, the 12mo/12k mile CPO warranty is bumper to bumper. It's an extension of the same 4yr/50k mile warranty. I have a CPO myself and had multiple things fixed under this warranty. No worries, it's the same!

The 7yr/100k mile CPO warranty is powertrain.

If you have trouble getting things fixed under this warranty, you may want to find another dealer.
Oh what the fuck!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a limited warranty, and that's why the dealership wasn't covering these repairs.

I got the car back today. They did fix the propellar shaft and the keyless access actuator that was giving me trouble.

However there is still:

The Michael J. Fox side mirror, the HID bulb that is flickering and needs to be replaced, and the exhaust tips that need to be replaced.

All in all, the dealership wants over $1,000 for these repairs ($800 installed for the mirror, $200 per exhaust tip, and $200 for the bulb)... that's $1400 + tax on a fucking car I bought 2 mother fucking months ago that has a fucking warranty.

Why is this dealership telling me these repairs aren't covered under warranty, and that the CPO is a different warranty than the original bumper-to-bumper, if that's not the case?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts
you are getting shafted.... go find another non-slacking dealership..... you don't want someone who doesn't want to work on your car, work on your car.... and make friends fast if u want to get good service.... it goes a long way

Oh what the fuck!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was a limited warranty, and that's why the dealership wasn't covering these repairs.

I got the car back today. They did fix the propellar shaft and the keyless access actuator that was giving me trouble.

However there is still:

The Michael J. Fox side mirror, the HID bulb that is flickering and needs to be replaced, and the exhaust tips that need to be replaced.

All in all, the dealership wants over $1,000 for these repairs ($800 installed for the mirror, $200 per exhaust tip, and $200 for the bulb)... that's $1400 + tax on a fucking car I bought 2 mother fucking months ago that has a fucking warranty.

Why is this dealership telling me these repairs aren't covered under warranty, and that the CPO is a different warranty than the original bumper-to-bumper, if that's not the case?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't underdstand why these dealership aren't doing these repair under "warranty"? They pay nothing out of pocket, and don't they get a remebursement from Acura for their parts/labor??? Wouldn't it be a win/win to get paid and keep the customer satisfied?
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 PM
wat

So... when I went out to the car tonight, the keyless access wasn't working. Back to the dealership tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

It's a fucking flagship luxury car with a side mirror that vibrates like Michael J. Fox is holding it.

That made my day complete.. best of luck to you on this
Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 Rl with extended warranty. I had the exhaust tips replaced and the propellar shaft replaced under deffect/warranty. Complain to your dealer or go to another one. My passenger mirror shakes as well.. I noticed this when I bought it. Also, most of the time, I cannot lock the car by pressing the driver side nub.... but the passenger side works. I will eventually complain about that as well before the warranty is up.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 AM
wat

Just as an update, the dealership is replacing the driver's side mirror and the driver's side door handle under warranty. They contacted the district manager and he approved the work. Too bad I once again have a crappy 09 TSX loaner.

People on this site have highly recommended Courtesy Acura, it's only an hour and a half away. Think I'll be taking the car there for the exhaust tip/bulb issue.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:24 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Maybe it has changed, but a few years ago the CPO add-on warranty did NOT officially cover everything like a new car warranty. Dealers apparently have leeway how they apply it. Even corporate keeps it fuzzy.

That quote above says 'Extends the same coverage provided in the Acura 12-month/12,000-mile limited warranty.'
That doesn't make sense exactly, it doesn't mention the 4year orig warranty specifically. But dealers will tell you to your face it's a bumper to bumper during a sale.

It's too bad Acura fudges this, it's very non-professional.
THe CPO definitely was not bumper to bumper on previous CPOs I had, hopefully it's changed but Acura seems to love grey areas.

Last edited by 123456SPEED; 05-12-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Glad it worked out but it should not have gone to the extent it did. Acura should do a better job outlining what is covered and not in their documentation.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree. Acura needs to a) police the dealers better and b) needs to be crystal-clear about what Acuracare actually covers. Having aggravated customers leads to fewer customers.