Need help with fob alarm arming.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Need help with fob alarm arming.

I noticed earlier this week that while my fib works fine (lock/unkock/truck release) I'm no longer hearing the beep follwed by the doors locking. As a result, when I do lock the doors in this manner, a short time later ive returned to my car with the alarm going off (horn blaring and lights flashing. The only way I can leave my car unattented now while out is unlocked and clearly this isnt a risk I want to keep taking.
Even when I try to lock the car by pressing the door handle lock that beep (alarm engagement) isn't there anymore?
Does anyone know what happened?
Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
The fact that it isn't beeping usually means there is something that isn't "secure" so to speak. Either a door isn't properly closed, or the hood or trunk aren't properly closed. I would start by making sure that everything is properly shut.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
a door sensor, trunk sensor, hood sensor may be on the fritz. test each one.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
a door sensor, trunk sensor, hood sensor may be on the fritz. test each one.
Test each one how?
I was more suspecting that the coding on my Fob has somehow reset itself. My battery has been disconnected numerous times inbetween the time this started happeneing. Another thing Iv'e noticed is that my nav screen no longer auto dims at night when I turn my lights on.
Im assuming if the culprits were as simple as suggested above this issue would have been documented, although I suppose one never knows. I was really hoping to get some viable answers as opposed to needlessly driving 20+ miles away to the closest Acura dealership and having to spend the default $100 out the gate just for an observation
Old 04-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

wait... your OP is contradicting, you said you can't arm the alarm, yet sometimes you come back and the alarm is going off? How can the alarm go off if the alarm is not armed?

How old is your battery? A weak/low battery sometimes lends itself to odd electrical malfuctions as well.

I'm hoping someone in RL land has a service manual that can give you the specs for each sensor so you can test them using a multimeter, but for the laymen's way of doing it, you can turn on the car and close the doors, try pulling on each one to see if the MID shows the door opens for a split second?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Instructor

wait... your OP is contradicting, you said you can't arm the alarm, yet sometimes you come back and the alarm is going off? How can the alarm go off if the alarm is not armed?

How old is your battery? A weak/low battery sometimes lends itself to odd electrical malfuctions as well.

I'm hoping someone in RL land has a service manual that can give you the specs for each sensor so you can test them using a multimeter, but for the laymen's way of doing it, you can turn on the car and close the doors, try pulling on each one to see if the MID shows the door opens for a split second?
the car is contradicting itself. Lol
Yes, if I lock the car via the fob or handle in this present state (no beep) and then leave. I have returned a short while later to the car horn honking and lights flashing (as if someone had tried the handles or something. The first time this happened i was worried about a hit and run or theft attempt. After that i relegated it to the issue at hand.
Ive been leaving the car unlocked now as I dont want the battery to die or the alarm going off before I return. Ironically. When I have returned and disengaged the alarming, immediately after this I get the beep after the lock. Once I drive off n then get somewhere else, its the same issue. No beep on door handle lock or fob lock.
I think I may just look into a new battery. It has been on my mind as of late. Prefferably an Optima this time around. They are powerhouses.I ran one in my old legend coupe for years.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ratheruneeq
the car is contradicting itself. Lol
Yes, if I lock the car via the fob or handle in this present state (no beep) and then leave. I have returned a short while later to the car horn honking and lights flashing (as if someone had tried the handles or something. The first time this happened i was worried about a hit and run or theft attempt. After that i relegated it to the issue at hand.
Ive been leaving the car unlocked now as I dont want the battery to die or the alarm going off before I return. Ironically. When I have returned and disengaged the alarming, immediately after this I get the beep after the lock. Once I drive off n then get somewhere else, its the same issue. No beep on door handle lock or fob lock.
I think I may just look into a new battery. It has been on my mind as of late. Prefferably an Optima this time around. They are powerhouses.I ran one in my old legend coupe for years.
I have the diagnostics PDF for the keyless entry system that has all the info you need. PM me and I can get that to you.

The fact that the screen isn't dimming when the car automatically turns on the lights makes me think battery too. I've had that exact symptom happen when I was working on the car with the radio on. The battery voltage got too low and it started killing all the peripheral equipment.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

If i were in your shoes, I'd try a battery first, if not, then i'd look into diagnosing the rest of the sensors.

Does this sound like that RL door handle issue everyone has been having, project?
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM

If i were in your shoes, I'd try a battery first, if not, then i'd look into diagnosing the rest of the sensors.

Does this sound like that RL door handle issue everyone has been having, project?
It honestly doesn't read that way to me, the combination of the screen not dimming, the alarm not arming, spontaneously re-arming and going off on it's own strikes me as a low voltage thing. I'm sure you might have had it happen where you remove the battery cable harness on a locked car, and re-install it only to have the car alarm go off. I'd agree with your call and approach to be honest

I'm just puzzled by the system not arming in the first place. If it's a bad battery, this would be the first ever I've read of it manifesting that way...
Old 04-15-2017, 01:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, i have a similar issue as well, the front display keeps sending me a message that my driver side door is open. I checked numerous times to make sure the door shuts properly i see no issues. Does anyone know how to check the door sensors or where on the vehicle i can find them? I have an Acura TL 2008, many thanks.